itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

I am interested to know your own experiences and views on this.

I, who have never encountered hate when I tell people I am Atheist, suddenly am hated when I tell others I am mostly Agnostic.

At least twice I have been told to "grow a pair and choose a side", among other things. That is, if the person even knows what an Agnostic is. I cannot recount how many times I have to answer the question of "What is an Agnostic?".

I find this very insulting, and I am interested to hear your views on the differences between Atheists and Agnostics, and the public's view on them both.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

I don't consider agnostic in itself to be a real position. If you are unable to assert that there is a god. Then you are an atheist.

Gnostic/agnostic is a seperate thing. I do understand people who label themselves agnostic because it carries less stigma than atheist.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
I don't know why they woudl tell you to grow a pair a chose a side. They are asking you to make your choice based on ignorance. One does not make a proper choice if all the data isn't available.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 itsTolkien_time

I don't consider agnostic in itself to be a real position. If you are unable to assert that there is a god. Then you are an atheist.

_Tobli_

Your last sentence is correct to me, but as an agnostic I assert niether the existance of god, or his non-existance. I cannot prove either stance, so I choose not to join either side.

I agree with you, Bumfluff122.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BumFluff122
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

itsTolkien_time

Your last sentence is correct to me, but as an agnostic I assert niether the existance of god, or his non-existance. I cannot prove either stance, so I choose not to join either side.

I agree with you, Bumfluff122.

I see atheism as the default. There is either you believe that there is a higher being or you don't. I am an agnostic atheist. You could probably call yourself that as well. Although there are many different ways to interpret the word meanings.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 itsTolkien_time

I ought to listen to the Canadian, eh? :P

I prefer to just say agnostic, although in these forums I commonly refer to myself as Atheist. I can't stop considering them different things, however much I usually lean towards atheist standpoints. Maybe I can describe myself as a tolerant atheist? :)

I didn't mean any harm by the canadian statement. :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BumFluff122

I prefer to just say agnostic, although in these forums I commonly refer to myself as Atheist. I can't stop considering them different things, however much I usually lean towards atheist standpoints. Maybe I can describe myself as a tolerant atheist? :)

itsTolkien_time
Of course you should listen to the Canadian. God is Canadian after all.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Agnosticism carries some of the same problems as bisexuality. People on both sides feel that you're just taking a middle-of-the-road option, and that you're not decisive enough to choose a side. Being agnostic is a perfectly valid stance.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive guys. One refers to what you do or do not know, the other refers to what you do or do not believe. Tolkein_time here's a flow chart of questions to help you figure out what you are.

1. Do you believe that a God/gods exist? If yes you're a theist of some variety, if no move to question two

2. Do you believe that God/gods do not exist? If yes move on to question three, if no you're an agnostic weak atheist

3. Do you know that no God/gods exist? If yes then you are a gnostic strong atheist, if no then you are an agnostic strong atheist

For myself I'm an agnostic strong atheist which means that I believe that no God(s) exist but that I do not know this.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bourbons3

Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive guys. One refers to what you do or do not know, the other refers to what you do or do not believe. Tolkein_time here's a flow chart of questions to help you figure out what you are.

1. Do you believe that a God/gods exist? If yes you're a theist of some variety, if no move to question two

2. Do you believe that God/gods do not exist? If yes move on to question three, if no you're an agnostic weak atheist

3. Do you know that no God/gods exist? If yes then you are a gnostic strong atheist, if no then you are an agnostic strong atheist

For myself I'm an agnostic strong atheist which means that I believe that no God(s) exist but that I do not know this.

domatron23
I'd be number 3 also. I don't think you can ever truly rule out 'knowing' something.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
I pretty much find 'agnostic' to be a redundant term. Nobody knows one way or the other, so saying that you don't know and are thus agnostic in some sense is a truly meaningless distinction.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I believe agnosticism is an insult to my rational mind to deduce that there isn't a being that is in itself a violation of nature from the resurrection to the virgin birth. I would only consider agnosticism if I were just acquainting myself with the validity of mysticism.
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Here's a pretty good vid by Atheist Experience that goes into the various positions on god, worth a watch imo, and it gets hilarious right at the end :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4hVc8YGZlE

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Here's a pretty good vid by Atheist Experience that goes into the various positions on god, worth a watch imo, and it gets hilarious right at the end :P

bean-with-bacon

I didnt quite listen there....

...did the guy on the telephone started swearing at him at the end of the vid?

bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bean-with-bacon
[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

Teenaged

Yeah, it's pretty damn funny:

"So your claiming there is a lack of evidence and therefore no reason to believe it?"

"Yep" Sips drink.

"Yeah well how about this, how about I come down there and punch your fat head in for Jesus!"

Disconnected

:lol: Owned by reasoned arguments so he resorts to threats out of the blue :lol:

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

bean-with-bacon

"So your claiming there is a lack of evidence and therefore no reason to believe it?"

"Yep" Sips drink.

"Yeah well how about this, how about I come down there and punch your fat head in for Jesus!"

Disconnected

:lol: Owned by reasoned arguments so he resorts to threats out of the blue :lol:

I dont know why but it seems to be faked.

You know he was very non-aggressive at first to the point where he was not speaking at all and to me he seemed very cooperative, and then suddenly (when nothing had changed really) he swears at him.

Idk my impression.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 itsTolkien_time
I suppose I can be considered a three.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 domatron23

bean-with-bacon

I love it how it just deteriorated in one second right at the very end.

bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bean-with-bacon
[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

Teenaged

"Yep" Sips drink.

Disconnected

I dont know why but it seems to be faked.

You know he was very non-aggressive at first to the point where he was not speaking at all and to me he seemed very cooperative, and then suddenly (when nothing had changed really) he swears at him.

Idk my impression.

Well it is possible, they have had fake callers pretending to be crazy christians before but they always clarified later that they were faked for a laugh, I think he just run out of arguments and so resorted to insults, hilarious either way.

bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bean-with-bacon
[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

domatron23

Man, what time is it over there? Not that I can talk :P

EDIT:

Oh wait, nvm, you're a few more hours ahead of me then I thought :P

Damn early birds :x

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

bean-with-bacon

Man, what time is it over there? Not that I can talk :P

EDIT:

Oh wait, nvm, you're a few more hours ahead of me then I thought :P

Damn early birds :x

I think that post was made at about 6:30 AM in my time. I had been up all night playing fight night.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
The way I see it, a theist believes that there is a deity. An atheist disbelieves in the same. And agnostic sees enough circumstantial evidence either for both sides or for none of them, that he/she genuinely believes it's impossible to know for sure either way. As a theist, I find it odd that a person in that situation will automatically be labeled and treated as an atheist. If I was an agnostic, I would probably be a bit insulted that my position was not considered valid.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

bean-with-bacon

"Yep" Sips drink.

Disconnected

Attacking someone in the name of Jesus: 100% success rate.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 itsTolkien_time

The way I see it, a theist believes that there is a deity. An atheist disbelieves in the same. And agnostic sees enough circumstantial evidence either for both sides or for none of them, that he/she genuinely believes it's impossible to know for sure either way. As a theist, I find it odd that a person in that situation will automatically be labeled and treated as an atheist. If I was an agnostic, I would probably be a bit insulted that my position was not considered valid.ChiliDragon

That is my dilemma. Everyone I know thinks agnostic=atheist, or worshipping Satan. :(

Most people I know have never even HEARD the word agnostic.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="itsTolkien_time"]That is my dilemma. Everyone I know thinks agnostic=atheist, or worshipping Satan. :( Most people I know have never even HEARD the word agnostic.

As someone pointed out, it's a bit like being bisexual... certain people on both sides will never see it as a valid position. They think that the person is merely taking "the easy way out", when in fact both agnostic and bisexual might have been the more difficult position to arrive at.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 itsTolkien_time
I just noticed the quote by Aristotle in your sig, ChiliDragon, it's a good one.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
I just noticed the quote by Aristotle in your sig, ChiliDragon, it's a good one.itsTolkien_time
Thanks. :) I always liked it.
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="itsTolkien_time"]

BumFluff122

I thought Canadians were the Yanks poor cousin!!:P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I thought Canadians were the Yanks poor cousin!!:PTHUMPTABLE

That's what we want the Yanks to think.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 itsTolkien_time
[QUOTE="BumFluff122"][QUOTE="itsTolkien_time"]

THUMPTABLE

I thought Canadians were the Yanks poor cousin!!:P

I actually like Canada, the scenery and nature is very nice, and there aren't as many people to ruin it. :P

Everything is super expensive in the tourist areas though.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

The agnostic label is simply a cop out. It says nothing about what you believe-- all it says is that you're unwilling to admit what you believe. Someone who's going to hurl insults as soon as they find out you're an atheist is not friend material.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChiliDragon

The agnostic label is simply a cop out. It says nothing about what you believe-- all it says is that you're unwilling to admit what you believe. Someone who's going to hurl insults as soon as they find out you're an atheist is not friend material.

dracula_16
What do those two have to do with each other? :?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dracula_16
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

ChiliDragon

What do those two have to do with each other? :?

Would you please be more specific?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GabuEx

dracula_16

Why is it that inconceivable that someone could honestly just feel that he or she does not know? 

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dracula_16
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

GabuEx

Why is it that inconceivable that someone could honestly just feel that he or she does not know?

That's not what the agnostic label is-- that's what the definition of the word is. It's like when a kid says that something is gay

He doesn't mean that in a literal way.

The agnostic label is what people give to themself when they are asked where their faith lies. What they're trying to say is that they are in a transition. They are using a different definition of what "agnostic" is.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teenaged
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="dracula_16"]

dracula_16

That's not what the agnostic label is-- that's what the definition of the word is. It's like when a kid says that something is gay

He doesn't mean that in a literal way.

The agnostic label is what people give to themself when they are asked where their faith lies. What they're trying to say is that they are in a transition. They are using a different definition of what "agnostic" is.

Your false assumption (or belief call it whatever you like) is that a person must choose a side (which seems pretty stupid to decide just to pick sides - and it is indeed picking sides since an agnostic most probably has no other [logical] motivation to choose either).

Well one person needs not choose a side. I dont see why.

On the other hand many people must believe that agnosticism is the easy solution to avoid confrontation from both sides and appear neutral. This is just not the case .The only easiness in agnosticism is that it doesnt pertain to any absolute stance (there is a god / there is no god) and thus an agnostic needs not to support each site strongly.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChiliDragon
I'll try to be more specific... What does this:
The agnostic label is simply a cop out. It says nothing about what you believe-- all it says is that you're unwilling to admit what you believe.dracula_16
Have to do with this?
Someone who's going to hurl insults as soon as they find out you're an atheist is not friend material.dracula_16
You seem to be implying that in addition to being spineless non-thinkers (which by the way I completely disagree with you on), an agnostic is going to look down on you and insult you for your stance.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dracula_16

I'll try to be more specific... What does this: [QUOTE="dracula_16"]The agnostic label is simply a cop out. It says nothing about what you believe-- all it says is that you're unwilling to admit what you believe.ChiliDragon
Have to do with this?
Someone who's going to hurl insults as soon as they find out you're an atheist is not friend material.dracula_16
You seem to be implying that in addition to being spineless non-thinkers (which by the way I completely disagree with you on), an agnostic is going to look down on you and insult you for your stance.

Ah, now I see. The two quotes of mine weren't related to each other; that's my fault for the confusion. My first sentance was what I think of the agnostic label, and the second one was in reply to the topic creator's struggle with mistreatment.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChiliDragon
Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5a79221380856

I've already posted in this thread, but I want to add a few more thoughts.

First of all, I don't understand what's so special about God that he deserves an exemption clause of disbelief compared to other absurdities such as the invisible pink unicorn. No one would consider themselves the slightest bit agnosticin terms of disbelieving in an invisible pink unicorn. So why should I give God the benefit of the doubt just because people consider him holy and the invisible pink unicorn is not? His holiness depends on his existence, which is nil. I can't even stand the idea of ignosticism either, because there have been several definitions of God, all of which have no counterpart in reality (that is, if you're not redefining a material object like a chair or something like the universe as "God", which is a matter of redefining). Agnosticism and ignosticism panders to theists to make it appear as though their beliefs have validity, which is simply not true.

As for the matter on bisexuality, I do believe that everyone besides asexuals would be somewhat bisexual if they weren't so selective on sexual matters. Of course sexuality and sex itself is selective, thankfully. But still, bisexuals do exist, as do agnostics.

EDIT: Atheism is a sad story too, because there isn't a name for disbelieving in seemingly countless fairy tales. By that same token, the term "atheism" shouldn't exist, in addition to "agnostic" and "theist" and the rest.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Teenaged

I've already posted in this thread, but I want to add a few more thoughts.

First of all, I don't understand what's so special about God that he deserves an exemption clause of disbelief compared to other absurdities such as the invisible pink unicorn. No one would consider themselves the slightest bit agnosticin terms of disbelieving in an invisible pink unicorn. So why should I give God the benefit of the doubt just because people consider him holy and the invisible pink unicorn is not? His holiness depends on his existence, which is nil. I can't even stand the idea of ignosticism either, because there have been several definitions of God, all of which have no counterpart in reality (that is, if you're not redefining a material object like a chair or something like the universe as "God", which is a matter of redefining). Agnosticism and ignosticism panders to theists to make it appear as though their beliefs have validity, which is simply not true.

As for the matter on bisexuality, I do believe that everyone besides asexuals would be somewhat bisexual if they weren't so selective on sexual matters. Of course sexuality and sex itself is selective, thankfully. But still, bisexuals do exist, as do agnostics.

EDIT: Atheism is a sad story too, because there isn't a name for disbelieving in seemingly countless fairy tales. By that same token, the term "atheism" shouldn't exist, in addition to "agnostic" and "theist" and the rest.

Genetic_Code
At first I made some sense, then you lost me a bit, then you lost me completely... :(
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ChiliDragon
First of all, I don't understand what's so special about God that he deserves an exemption clause of disbelief compared to other absurdities such as the invisible pink unicorn. No one would consider themselves the slightest bit agnosticin terms of disbelieving in an invisible pink unicorn. So why should I give God the benefit of the doubt just because people consider him holy and the invisible pink unicorn is not?Genetic_Code
Because there is a millenia-old religion based around one of them, but not around the other. That means there is a difference. You may not see it or think there should be, but there is. In fact, people have been tortured and killed for refusing to give up their belief in that deity. To equate that deity with a thought construct initially created to justify atheism makes little sense. None of us have any actual knowledge of anything beyond what our senses tell us. To immediately dismiss everything that does not fit into this very limited amount of knowledge as a "fairytale" seems to me to be a very convenient excuse for never questioning or examining one's own beliefs. After all, why take fairytales seriously? They're just fables. But if they're not, or if the limited amount of knowledge given by the five senses isn't all there is, then I think a person would do themselves a disservice by intentionally limiting their world in such a fashion. By the way, God is holy because of his nature, not his existence. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5a79221380856

At first I made some sense, then you lost me a bit, then you lost me completely... :(Teenaged

I'll try to translate.

It is not justified to doubt the non-existence of God. Agnosticism and ignosticism gives credit to the belief that God is a unique idea, separate from your usual myths, and that this idea of God deserves a special status. This is untrue.

In a utopian society where man is infallible, no one would believe in God and therefore the term "atheism" would be obsolete. 

Because there is a millenia-old religion based around one of them, but not around the other. That means there is a difference.ChiliDragon

That is a difference, but it's unjustified. If a religion was started a millenia ago worshipping unicorns, that doesn't give unicorns a special clause that allows room for doubt of their non-existence.

To equate that deity with a thought construct initially created to justify atheism makes little sense. None of us have any actual knowledge of anything beyond what our senses tell us. To immediately dismiss everything that does not fit into this very limited amount of knowledge as a "fairytale" seems to me to be a very convenient excuse for never questioning or examining one's own beliefs.ChiliDragon

Obscureness is a convenient excuse for being lazy and denying the obvious.

By the way, God is holy because of his nature, not his existence. ;)ChiliDragon

If God doesn't exist, he cannot be holy, nor does he have a nature to begin with. I'm not disagreeing with you, but you seemed to throw that out there to debate that with me.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabuEx

In a utopian society where man is infallible, no one would believe in God and therefore the term "atheism" would be obsolete.

Genetic_Code

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

If God doesn't exist, he cannot be holy, nor does he have a nature to begin with. I'm not disagreeing with you, but you seemed to throw that out there to debate that with me.

Genetic_Code

Well, that's not really true - the nonexistence of unicorns doesn't stop the blueprints of the being from containing a singular horn.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GabuEx

And as for what's the difference between God and everything else, that answer is actually, I think, pretty simple: the notion of a creator of everything is a fundamental concept at which many humans have arrived spontaneously merely by contemplating existence itself.  The question of whether our form of existence was created and whether that creation involved an intelligent force behind it is a pivotal question regarding our very being.  On the other hand, the question of whether an equine-like animal exists with a singular horn poses no real philosophical relevance whatsoever; it is merely a matter of curiosity.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Teenaged
....Genetic_Code
Ah ok. I saw your main points but couldnt realise how they were connected.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]First of all, I don't understand what's so special about God that he deserves an exemption clause of disbelief compared to other absurdities such as the invisible pink unicorn. No one would consider themselves the slightest bit agnosticin terms of disbelieving in an invisible pink unicorn. So why should I give God the benefit of the doubt just because people consider him holy and the invisible pink unicorn is not?ChiliDragon

None of us have any actual knowledge of anything beyond what our senses tell us. To immediately dismiss everything that does not fit into this very limited amount of knowledge as a "fairytale" seems to me to be a very convenient excuse for never questioning or examining one's own beliefs. After all, why take fairytales seriously? They're just fables. But if they're not, or if the limited amount of knowledge given by the five senses isn't all there is, then I think a person would do themselves a disservice by intentionally limiting their world in such a fashion.

I wouldn't say a strict reliance on the five sense is limiting, rather it allows us to dismiss all that is untestable, and a result of conjecture or pure faith

There may be a world of the intangible and intelligible, but if it does not present itself to my body nor my mind, then for what reason should I ever care for it?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon
Obscureness is a convenient excuse for being lazy and denying the obvious.Genetic_Code
The obvious being... there is no God? If it was that obvious, why am I arguing that point with you? ;)
I wouldn't say a strict reliance on the five sense is limiting, rather it allows us to dismiss all that is untestable, and a result of conjecture or pure faithMetalGear_Ninty
But that's the limitation, right there. Being untestable does not automatically mean it's non-existent. It only means it can't be tested using empirical methods
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I wouldn't say a strict reliance on the five sense is limiting, rather it allows us to dismiss all that is untestable, and a result of conjecture or pure faithChiliDragon
But that's the limitation, right there. Being untestable does not automatically mean it's non-existent. It only means it can't be tested using empirical methods

I didn't say that it being untestable necessarily made it non-existent. However, just because I cannot disprove the existence of an entity does not mean I can't dismiss it. I dismiss the flying spaghetti monster also for the exact same reasons; that such a being is completely intangible, and unintelligible.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiliDragon
However, just because I cannot disprove the existence of an entity does not mean I can't dismiss it.MetalGear_Ninty
True enough. That's your right. :)