btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Well imagine my surprise driving to work the other day, looking up and seeing a "Beware of Dogma" billboard.  Under it was FFRF.ORG, Freedom From Religion Foundation.  Not big news, but I live in Little Rock Arkansas. BIBLE BELT.  The main billboard company in LR is a client of mine, dying to ask the owner about that one, but might skip it.  This is our busiest highway in the city, and it was reported in the paper they paid $1,620 for the 14X48 sign.  Apparently there is a Freethinkers of Central Arkansas group that helped the FFRF fund it.  In Arkansas, the state constitution discriminates against atheists. Article 19, Section 1 states: "No person who denies the being of God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."  Wow.  Learned something else new, there goes 2010's goal of running for city council!? :)  Has anyone else seen this type of "advertisement"? 

I quoted most the article because you have to be a paid subscriber to view the on-line version.  Here it is anyways:

Source

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7681914.stm

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7681914.stm

Sitri_
Ah, I was waiting for those to be brought up. Their tone seems kind of impatient. :lol:
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I dont think I've ever seen a billboard such as that. You should snap a picture of it next time. I have seen billboards advertising Christianity though.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
So basically these atheists have become the very thing they hate?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 btaylor2404

So basically these atheists have become the very thing they hate? danwallacefan

I don't think advertising by Christians is exactly what Atheists hate. I've just never seen this type of ad before.  It's surely  not like driving every 5 miles and seeing a church sign with reasons your going to hell.  I doubt you'll ever see an Atheist version: Your all nuts. 

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

.......able to express their worldview in public?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I once saw billborads like these (only they were christian) on my way to  visiting an aunt of mine. It said things like "Jesus your Lord will save you", "Sinful are those that bla bla bla). And I had a mixture of feelings: wanting to laugh but at the same time to vommit.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Indeed. Oh, the irony, that a belief system explicity condemning billboards- wait. >__>
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

I haven't yet had the pleasure of seeing one of those types of "advertisements". Thus far, I've only seen the Christian versions (for example "Jesus Saves").

For some reason, this reminds me of a little thing I noticed when I went to church (remember, I haven't mentioned anything to my family about my beliefs yet...) while out-of-state for a tournament, and I noticed that all of the exit doors had bible verses on them. This was all well and good until I noticed that one of the doors said "Judas left the mass early". :lol: Guilt-tripping FTL?

Avatar image for Doubting-Thomas
Doubting-Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Doubting-Thomas
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hey btaylor2404,

I helped bring that billboard here to create awareness of a secular community here in 

Central Arkansas.  If you google the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers you will find

a couple of different ways to contact us and become involved, if you want to be involved.

We have a website, a myspace, and a facebook presence and are gearing up for the 

activities on our plate for this year.  Up next is celebrating Darwin Day in Feb.

If you add me as a friend, let me know that you found me here on Gamespot.

Thanks

LeeWood

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 btaylor2404

I once saw billborads like these (only they were christian) on my way to  visiting an aunt of mine. It said things like "Jesus your Lord will save you", "Sinful are those that bla bla bla). And I had a mixture of feelings: wanting to laugh but at the same time to vommit.

Teenaged

:) There are one of those every 5-10 miles in the city's here in Arkansas.  Which is why I was so stunned to see an Atheist billboard and made the topic.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 btaylor2404

Hey btaylor2404,

I helped bring that billboard here to create awareness of a secular community here in 

Central Arkansas.  If you google the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers you will find

a couple of different ways to contact us and become involved, if you want to be involved.

We have a website, a myspace, and a facebook presence and are gearing up for the 

activities on our plate for this year.  Up next is celebrating Darwin Day in Feb.

If you add me as a friend, let me know that you found me here on Gamespot.

Thanks

LeeWood

Doubting-Thomas

Lee, thank you, please feel free to join the union if your staying.  I did google it and joined the Ark. Freethinkers and will attend an upcoming meeting and see how I can get involved.

Lee, there were 30,000 matches, can you enter in mine, the URL is: myspace/btaylor2404.  Of course that is open to any of you all, I think my wife has it set to private, just hit a friend request.