dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts

I started this thread after reading the GS review on Daxter. For a while now I have been spouting off against the PSP, mainly for reasons of it being over-priced. Now comes Daxter, andĀ even though I have hesitations about buying a PSP (I believe a part of me is waiting for Sony to pull a PSP-Lite out of its sleeve), this game has got me seriously reconsidering my stance.

Just so I don't go nuts and rush right out and buy a PSP simply to play this game (which I personally feel is the best game to come out yet for the platform) I thought I would first ask everyone here who owns a PSP to give me their take on the handheld. Give me the reasons for why you bought one, and what are some of the pluses (or minuses) that you've discovered about this handheld? What games have you really found enjoyable? How is the battery life? If you don't own a PSP please let me hear your reasons for not buying one.

I'm still holding out for a DS-Lite, because deep down I'm a true Nintendo fanboy. Plus I read somewhere that Sony was thinking of releasing a new and improved version at some point. Still the graphics and versatility of the PSP (and aĀ game like Daxter) have intrigued me. So let me hear your reasons - for or against?

Thank yee, kindly.

Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

I wasn't going to reply but when I saw you're open to hearing reasons why we wouldn't/didn't buy it, these are my reasons:

I must admit, I simply like Nintendo games - and though they stalled with the games, they always announced great games (now that I have the games, I'm very very happy!), and the DS just had fun features, long battery life, plus they have a nice little online network now :)Ā  The promise of online kept me happy during the dry spell.Ā  I always thought it was pretty ugly, but with the DS lite, that's not a problem anymore.Ā  The DS doesn't have the greatest graphics in the world, and it shows on some games, still the games that do pull off good graphics look great (Not PSP level by any means, but they areĀ nice).Ā  Oh, and another draw was that I could still play GBA games on it (which is great because they still make lots of GBA games and I still wanted to play some that I still needed to get).

Not to bash, but my biggest gripe with the PSP is that it has stuff that I don't really need.Ā  I don't have much of a DVD library at home, so I knew I wasn't going to be buying UMDs that only play on the PSP, and those movies are as expensiive as DVDs, and more so than older DVDs.Ā  And I have an MP3 player, so I wouldn't be using that (I also think its impractical as an MP3 playerĀ cuz of the memory cards that you have to buy, those babies are pretty expensive, same goes for the movies, along with the annoyance of converting them).Ā  Plus if I ever wanted that option, there's always the Play-yan for the DS, but happily, I didn't have to pay for those features upfront like the PSP cuz w/ the DS it's an add on.Ā  Oh, and I must mention the DS is getting an online Browser (Opera)Ā add on and a TV tuner in Japan and likely everywhere else, if not, it'll be import friendly.Ā  Who knows how they'll turn out, but it'll be there if you want it.

Just a few more things, price -Ā Sony thought about the system before the price tag (reminds me of what they're doing with the PS3..."we're gonna add Blue-Ray even if customers have to pay for it out of their ears" lol). Oh, and just before the release, there were those horrible reviews about the battery life -Ā  Watch a movie and you can't play a game..and even games dry the battery (I once read a review about a guy who played on the plane and it died, then during lay-over he ran around the airport looking for a plug, then found someone there already charging!).Ā  And the ones about the loading times (After playing with the gamecube w/ its fast load times so long, I can't handle load times, the PS2 drives me nuts, I've read PSP was worse), but those are reviews, so in some ways they sound like scare tactics, but I know 2 people w/ the PSP and they've pretty much said it's true about the battery and load times.

There are things that the PSP does better, it's technologically more impressive, with it's big screen and greater power.Ā Ā And it handles certain games better (like racing, sports titles).Ā  So I suppose the games are a matter of opinion, what you like.Ā  The DS likes puzzles, platform, "innovative" games, and there's a flood of RPGs that are coming out, likewise the usual suspects that are Nintendo's flagship games.Ā  Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Meteos, Tetris DS, Castlevania, Mario and Luigi, Phoenix Wright, Brain Training, MP:H, Children of Mana, FF3, Contact, And that's what I like.

.....wow, that was pretty long!

Musquito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Musquito
Member since 2005 • 503 Posts
I have a psp and I like it very much. I'm waiting for Daxter too. The battery is maybe on the short but if it's almost empty the psp goes in sleeping condition (you won't loose your progress if you connect your psp then with electricity). One time my battery was empty in the morning and it went to sleeping condition. I had to work that day a long shift. In the evening at home when I connected my psp to the electricity after 10 hours, I did'nt miss anything and that suprised me. I like also puzzle games. There are really some good ones: Lemmings (not available in US yet). It's oldfashion with pretty good grapics. You see everything in detail. I like looking for solutions. Archers Macleans Mercury. Very good details and a little difficult at some moment but really a good game Exit -> comes out end of March PQ -> that one is not out in Europe and I really want that one. Meanwhile I play some rpg's too: Breath of Fire III (not available in US yet) Untold Legends -> hack and slash rpg like baldur's gate. My favorite type. Mean reason why I bought a psp is because it takes my 1.15 hour before I reach my work by train and 1.15 back to home. My mother has a DS but it's definitely not for me. I don't like Nintendo anymore, same with my cube. If you like Sony (ps & ps2) you definitely like the psp!
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I completely agree with Angelbabe.Ā  I have a DS and a Psp, but find more enjoyment out of the DS.Ā  I have about seven games for the DS and only one for PSP.Ā I think that Sony should focus on bringing more quality games to the system at a cheaper price.Ā  Fifty dollars is way too much for a portable game.
Writer1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Writer1983
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
I, too, agree with AngelBabe..Although, Like Dc, I have been considering getting one..besides the problems with battery life and not enough games that aren't ports, i've read on several sites (like Amazon) that people are just having way too many PSP's breaking on them.. ..Also, there are very few games I'd play on it..With a few exceptions, I don't like FPS's can't stand GTA/GT games, don't care for the new ports of old games...(unless it's retro-gameing like Zelda, Link or Metroid) ..Battery life is a problem for someone like me who has to travel by bus and train a lot, as is type of gaming..as I've said before, I like puzzles, RTS/turn-based strategy, and RPG's the most.. ..also, I have a PDA, and memory cards for it are expensive! The psp takes those, in addition to $50 dollar games you can play for much cheaper on other systems? Nah, I'll keep my $30 for nintendo and other third-party titles for the DS and sometimes, the GBA. Then again, it DOES have Lumines, Tokoban and Daxter.. ..if it keeps coming out with quality titles like this, then I may have to reconsider my plans..
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dcgames

.....wow, that was pretty long!

Angelbabe531

Nahh, it was just right. :) Thanks for saying all of that, Angel. I was not sure exactly why I was hesitating on the PSP (except for the reason I gave), and you helped me realize some of the other things about the hand held that were bothering me. I love Nintendo and probably always will. They were the ones who inducted me into video games in the first place (with the NES and games like Mario and Zelda). As I read your post it occurs to me that this is what Sony is missing; games with character. A lot of people say Nintendo has kiddie games. Well, this may be true, but those games have a unique personality all their own.

I agree with you on another point when you said, "Not to bash, but my biggest gripe with the PSP is that it has stuff that I don't really need." So true. This is another reason why I don't want to get stuck buying a PSP. For that amount of money I would like to have options that I'm going to make good use of, and so far the PSP does not have any I need. With the exception of awesome graphics and a game like Daxter (and maybe Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children), but then that's no reason to spend $200+ of my hard-earned money (and it is hard-earned).

If I'm going to spend that kind of money I would much rather wait until the DS-Lite is available, which has options I will make good use of (such as the ability to play both DS and GBA games). This was the main reason I bought the GameCube. Not only could I play GC games, but with the GameBoy Player I could also play all my GBA games as well. That is another great selling point about Nintendo; the inter-connectivity of their consoles. While it's true that Sony may have this functionality it just feels cheap and contrived, as if they were simply copying Nintendo.

Writer also brings up a good point that, "....there are very few games I'd play on it..With a few exceptions, I don't like FPS's can't stand GTA/GT games, don't care for the new ports of old games...(unless it's retro-gaming like Zelda, Link or Metroid)." And no one does ports better than Nintendo (in my humble opinion).

So thank you for the great feedback, you old game junkies you. :)
jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 jimmycanuck
Member since 2005 • 1339 Posts
As an owner of both, I really would like to come out and defend the PSP...Ā  but I just can't think of a way too!Ā  Everything that everyone is saying is right.Ā  There are too many ports.Ā  There are battery problems.Ā  Etc, etc, etc...

But I still love it!Ā  Don't get me wrong - the DS is a fantastic system too, but they're different systems and are both right for their own style of games.Ā  The DS may offer innovative gameplay because of it's touch sensitive dual screen gameplay, but that doesn't mean innovative games won't be on the PSP!Ā  Just take a look at Loco Roco and tell me that it isn't INSTANTLY on the top of your most wanted games list.Ā 

I think playing the PSP can be best summed up as taking the home console experience on the road with you.Ā  That's something the DS just doesn't do.Ā  I can rave and scream about how great Ouendan is until I'm blue in the face, but I can't bring the experience of Burnout or GTA with me on the go on the DS.Ā  Everytime they try to do that on the DS, they fall flat on their face.Ā  Just compare the versions of Ridge Racer and Burnout on each system and you'll see what I mean.

Oh!Ā  An before I forget - if you're a puzzle junkie, the PSP has some good offerings beyond Lumines.Ā  Ultimate Block Party plays like the spiritual successor to Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League, and Archer Maclean's Mercury takes the Marble Madness/Super Monkey Ball style of gameplay and infuses it with colour matching puzzles that might drive you crazy!

And one last thing - for those of you looking for a great turn-based strategy game that really innovates in such a stale genre, Metal Gear Ac!d was a great launch title that for some reason was overlooked by most.Ā  I can't wait for the sequel!
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
I think the new Katamari game willĀ be a good addition to the PSP library.Ā  IĀ find it odd that there is no Final Fantasy game announced for PSP, but Final Fantasy 3 is coming to DS.
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dcgames
Like I said in my last post, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is coming out for the PSP.
jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 jimmycanuck
Member since 2005 • 1339 Posts
Like I said in my last post, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is coming out for the PSP.
dcgames

Yeah, but Advent Children is a movie, not a game.Ā  There is a game coming called FF: Crisis Core that's tied into FFVII, but nobody knows anything about it yet.Ā  :(
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Travo_basic

[QUOTE="dcgames"]Like I said in my last post, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is coming out for the PSP.
jimmycanuck

Yeah, but Advent Children is a movie, not a game.Ā  There is a game coming called FF: Crisis Core that's tied into FFVII, but nobody knows anything about it yet.Ā  :(

Thanks

Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

dcgames

Isn't that a UMD movie?

....forget it, I see you guys are on right now...

dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dcgames
Ah, bad lama .......
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
I have a PSP and am quite happy I do.

But let me qualify that statement.

I bought my PSP in May of last year.Ā  So I had a few decent launch games to play, but for months - MONTHS - after that....nothing.Ā  My PSP sat in my drawer and gathered dust.Ā  I got pretty close to selling it and getting a DS.Ā  As time went on, I'm getting a bit gladder that I didn't.

This little handheld of mine took a hell of a long time to really pick up speed, but it's now something I would definetely recommend.

A lot of the great titles out there have come in the last 30 days...the two Mega Man remakes, Daxter, Syphon Filter, Me & My Katamari, Pursuit Force.Ā  Great stuff.

And the price is soon dropping to $199, too, making it more affordable for new people.Ā  This is really the best time to get one as, for those that've been put off by the PSP and favoring the DS, things are finally starting to pick up.

Go get it so I have more people to own on Syphon Filter ;)
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jvonrader
I think the new Katamari game will be a good addition to the PSP library. I find it odd that there is no Final Fantasy game announced for PSP, but Final Fantasy 3 is coming to DS.Travo_basic

There's a game called Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, part of the FFVII anthology, that's coming to the PSP.
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dcgames
jvonrader, have you played Daxter yet? The screenshots and video previews look sweet. I'm also sure that at some point Sony is going to release an updated PSP unit. I read that somewhere, but I can't remember where.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jvonrader
Yes, I have Daxter.Ā  It really does live up to the hype - the platforming works extremely well and it's the first time I look at my PSP screen and can imagine myself playing exactly this on my TV with my PS2 controller, without thinking I'm playing a B-class game.Ā  The review here said something I agree with, that it's almost better just b/c it's on a portable.

I haven't finished it yet, so I don't have a review up.Ā  I'll let you know.

And don't count on the updated PSP, that was an analyst last year expecting that an update would have been announced by now.Ā  There's always a chance that something could happen at E3, but I doubt it.
poohbear12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#18 poohbear12
Member since 2005 • 447 Posts

PSP PROS:

-wonderful graphics

-wonderful sound

-improving lineup of games

PSP CONS:

-extremely fragile system.Ā  In the one year I owned a PSP, I had to trade it in three times, each time paying to renew the insurance on it.Ā  Twice was for a crapped out drive, once for dead pixels.Ā  When you are 'on the go' with this system, you need to treat it like a crystal champagne glass.Ā  I kid you not, if you drop it from a height of about a 1/4 inch while the umd is spinning, say bye bye to the drive.

-a majority of the games still aren't very good, aside from the graphics.Ā  I just didn't really have much FUN with most of them, for a variety of reasons.Ā  See my reviews for details, but once the graphics stop stunning you, the games themselves are a little thin in the enjoyment factor.Ā  Then again, I don't much like platformers or puzzle games.Ā  Either the game was dull, the load times were horrific, or it was lots of fun but didn't last very long.Ā  Yes, this might be changing now, but I'm waiting for at least another year to let a library to build up for the system (and for a newer/better version of the hardware to come out).

-lots of stuff others have talked about already: battery issues, useless extras, etc.

I figure if it drops another $50 in price I might consider buying one again.Ā  However, the extremely expensive pricetag for new games on the system still means you get more bang for your buck with other console/handheld systems.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

I am not a hand held user, so I cannot fairly judge whether or not this is a maintainable topic, so I am leaving it for now....

Would welcome feedback from others, ANY ONE actually.