Zephyr: Lemming ownage, or PS3 death knell?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
What say you? One, or the other, or both? Because seriously, if the Zephyr IS real, then it pretty much puts the PS3 to shame in every way except WiFi and BluRay, and it's STILL cheaper. It probably won't sell as well as the Premium, but it can at least prevent people from buying the PS3 by presenting a very attractive alternative.
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts
If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.
Avatar image for Hammerofjustice
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hammerofjustice
Member since 2006 • 2685 Posts
lemming ownage
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mjarantilla
If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.InfamousC
Why would they kill the $399 version? It's the most sensible game system to own if all you want is gaming. The Zephyr will solely be for multimedia enthusiasts, i.e. the same crowd who would buy the PS3.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.mjarantilla
Why would they kill the $399 version?

they are killing the 299 version and keeping the 399 version. MS is still loosing money on the 360 you know.
solidgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 solidgamer
Member since 2005 • 7542 Posts
they are charging more for it the least they could do is build in wi fi
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

they are killing the 299 version and keeping the 399 version. MS is still loosing money on the 360 you know.

Nope, they're making $75 for every Premium sold.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.mjarantilla

Link? the last news report I heard was that they were still loosing about $50 on each system sold.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.mjarantilla

your thinking of the wii, they make $135 on each wii sold.
Jakey91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jakey91
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Yea they're def. making money.

And as good as the zephyr is i think it will hurt ms in the end, mostly because of the money put into to it to people buying it ratio.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

No, I'm not. The latest hardware analysis of the 360 revealed that Microsoft is most likely making about $75 per Premium sold. http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEyuEZEAFyVYIjDeNA.php

According to iSuppli's most recent analysis, the premium version of the Xbox 360 game machine equipped with hard disk drive has a manufacturing and materials total of $323.30, based on an updated estimate using costs in the fourth quarter of 2006. This total is $75.70 less than the $399 suggested retail price of the Xbox 360. Even though it is obvious that Microsoft still has to subtract freight, toll, retail partner's profit and other possible charges, it is highly likely that Microsoft has either managed to reduce its loss to minimal, or is making a tiny profit selling the $399 flavour of the Xbox 360.

freakout247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 freakout247
Member since 2004 • 843 Posts
Neither. It doesn't hurt current 360 owners because they will still be able to play the exact same games as they always have and will, and the PS3 has yet to severely sell millions of consoles and be the dominate, so it's not hard to outsell the ps3 in the first place.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nike_Air  Online
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
This will make the ps3 look good.

hailltoyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hailltoyou
Member since 2005 • 1493 Posts
I have a question about this  "Zephyr". Does it have HD DVD ROM ?
-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

Good thing Sony is making the big bucks on the PS3.

Wait..
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.-Beowulf

Wait..

The consumer benefits the most when the manufacturer loses money on the product they sell you.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

Link?? and before you say how much it cost dont forget the wholesale is $195
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.laughingman42

GC cost 50 dollerz to maek. the wii is a GC on roidz so do teh mathz
-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
[QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

Wait..

The consumer benefits the most when the manufacturer loses money on the product they sell you.

Explain how owning a PS3 is beneficial right now?
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.-Beowulf

Wait..

Great games coming out dis yeer;
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="laughingman42"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

GC cost 50 dollerz to maek. the wii is a GC on roidz so do teh mathz

stupid fanboyism FTL now give me a real link
DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts

[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.-Beowulf

Wait..

You get to pay $5 a pop to play arcade games from the 80's...Q*Bert wow...

giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 giantsfan91
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts
I don't think the new 360 would do well against the PS3. It would leave costumers deciding whether they want the Blu-ray player or added storage. According to Lemmings, 20GB is more than enough for everything you'd want to do with a console so the logical choice would be to go with the Blu-ray player. Also, is this going to be the only XBox that can have IPTV? The rumors were sworming that the current ones couldn't be used for IPTV.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hammerofjustice

[QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.DXGreat1_HGL

Wait..

You get to pay $5 a pop to play arcade games from the 80's...Q*Bert wow...

QBert>>>halo3
Me-Ur-Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Me-Ur-Daddy
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts
[QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.mjarantilla
Why would they kill the $399 version? It's the most sensible game system to own if all you want is gaming. The Zephyr will solely be for multimedia enthusiasts, i.e. the same crowd who would buy the PS3.

it still doesnt read half the formats ps3 does, its built for digital downloads of movies and thats a suicide attempt because a lot of studios rather keep their movies on a physical format.
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts

-Beowulf

If you don't own a  360 PS3 has more then enough games to satisfy anyone until more are released. Having a HD player is a major plus if you own a HDTV.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
I think we need a 360 revisions stick thread. This is getting out of hand... Like 20 posts a day of nothing but 360 ver. 2.
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
MS is very clever they can just move the 20gig down to the core and use the Zepher as the new Premium package for the same price. Which will be almost like a price drop.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="-Beowulf"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="InfamousC"]If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.Hammerofjustice

Wait..

You're confusing material cost with consumer value. The amount of money charged is the perceived value to the consumer. The amount of money spent to build the thing is how much the raw materials cost. They are completely different, and one should not be used in lieu of the other.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]What say you? One, or the other, or both? Because seriously, if the Zephyr IS real, then it pretty much puts the PS3 to shame in every way except WiFi and BluRay, and it's STILL cheaper. It probably won't sell as well as the Premium, but it can at least prevent people from buying the PS3 by presenting a very attractive alternative.

Both sounds like a good answer. Bad for Microsoft? In a way. It helped sway me over to the PS3 side because if Microsoft is willing to introduce new and improved hardware after only a year, there's no guarantee that they won't do it again another 12-18 months from now. Yes, you can still play the same games. But I like owning the latest/greatest thing from the company so I don't particularly like that strategy. Bad for Sony? Absolutely. A larger HD, the same HDMI port now, enhanced cooling (hopefully, this means less breakdowns as this was another reason I avoided the 360), larger game library, better online environment, AND a cheaper pricetag.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
Optional upgrade system owning lemmings? How exactly? There is still the premium package, the core is going out, and more than likely there will be a nice price drop on the premium meaning the easiest way to play next gen madden (since the casuals are who matter in the end) is a cheaper 360 that is just as good. You acting like zephy has to be bought by everyone, its not meant for everyone. Its primarily for those who want to make use of the IPTV service, and movie downloads. Casuals just want to play madden....and guess what, the 360 plays it, looks better and is cheaper than ps3 still.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts

At the moment.
ITS AN ILLUSION
ITS AN ILLUSION
ITS AN ILLUSION
ITS AN ILLUSION
ITS AN ILLUION
ITS AN ILLUSION
ITS AN ILLUSION!!!!

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjarantilla
You acting like zephy has to be bought by everyone, its not meant for everyone. Its primarily for those who want to make use of the IPTV service, and movie downloads. Casuals just want to play madden....and guess what, the 360 plays it, looks better and is cheaper than ps3 still.rocktimusprime
Did you even read my post, or did you just read the title and go off the deep end?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
If anything it is a 360 death knell. If M$ launches Zephyr they will most likely kill the $399 because I seriously doubt they will sell 3 different model systems to retailers. PS3 will easily outsell 360 if that happens.InfamousC
Did you ever consider that they may reduce the price of the premium and phase out the core? That seems wise, given that most people go premium anyway.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]What say you? One, or the other, or both? Because seriously, if the Zephyr IS real, then it pretty much puts the PS3 to shame in every way except WiFi and BluRay, and it's STILL cheaper. It probably won't sell as well as the Premium, but it can at least prevent people from buying the PS3 by presenting a very attractive alternative.

How do you figure the Zephyr will put the PS3 to shame? If anything, this sucks for 360 owners. I wouldn't be too happy about having a redesigned 360 come out when I already purchased the original. Good thing I didn't.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
It's still not official. I'll glady yell at microsoft if it's out, but until then i wish cows would stop claiming so much ownage on something which doesn't even exist.
I-_-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 I-_-I
Member since 2002 • 526 Posts

MS is very clever they can just move the 20gig down to the core and use the Zepher as the new Premium package for the same price. Which will be almost like a price drop. Nugtoka

really? where have they been so very clear about it?

and who would want 360 v.2 ? it doesnt have hd-dvd player build in, if I'm spending $400+ I might as well get the one with next gen player build in. The new box is a total waste, unless they get rid of core and bring down[price] premium to its level. That would not only own Sony, but screw Nintendo as well.. only few more bucks and you got kickass system instead of crappy last gen Wii.

kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
obviously lemming ownage, i can't believe they are making a fully better version
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]What say you? One, or the other, or both? Because seriously, if the Zephyr IS real, then it pretty much puts the PS3 to shame in every way except WiFi and BluRay, and it's STILL cheaper. It probably won't sell as well as the Premium, but it can at least prevent people from buying the PS3 by presenting a very attractive alternative.

How do you figure the Zephyr will put the PS3 to shame? If anything, this sucks for 360 owners. I wouldn't be too happy about having a redesigned 360 come out when I already purchased the original. Good thing I didn't.

Were you pissed when Sony released THEIR PS2 revisions? There were six of them, you know, not just the Slimline, and there were pretty big changes between them. The very first PS2s couldn't even play DVDs unless you had a special memory card. And it's pretty damned obvious that the Zephyr puts the PS3 to shame. 120GB hard drive, HDMI, AND a cheaper price tag. It has 95% of what makes the PS3-60GB so appealing, and it's still cheaper than the PS3-20GB. The only thing it lacks is BluRay/HD-DVD, but given Microsoft's push for digital distribution and IPTV, I don't think it has a problem in that area, either, especially since Microsoft is probably making more per month on its video download service than the studios are with BluRay or HD-DVD right now.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You acting like zephy has to be bought by everyone, its not meant for everyone. Its primarily for those who want to make use of the IPTV service, and movie downloads. Casuals just want to play madden....and guess what, the 360 plays it, looks better and is cheaper than ps3 still.mjarantilla
Did you even read my post, or did you just read the title and go off the deep end?

you do realize im talking to the people who say it is going to make the ps3 sales skyrocket.....
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You acting like zephy has to be bought by everyone, its not meant for everyone. Its primarily for those who want to make use of the IPTV service, and movie downloads. Casuals just want to play madden....and guess what, the 360 plays it, looks better and is cheaper than ps3 still.rocktimusprime

you do realize im talking to the people who say it is going to make the ps3 sales skyrocket.....

Well pardon me. Maybe you should have quoted someone rather than leave your post undirected.
killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killaj2786
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
obviously lemming ownage, i can't believe they are making a fully better versionkyleali11
it's not even comfirmed
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#46 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Lemming ownage, but not as severe as cows would want.

Cows will never gain the upperhand again as along as the PS3 is still #3.

asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 asmallchild
Were you pissed when Sony released THEIR PS2 revisions? There were six of them, you know, not just the Slimline, and there were pretty big changes between them. The very first PS2s couldn't even play DVDs unless you had a special memory card.mjarantilla
The PS2 revisions weren't as significant and noticeable as the ones being proposed in this supposed rumor. Aside from the one you mentioned, the rest of the upgrades were cosmetic. (And even for that one, original PS2 owners just wasted a bit more money on a special memory card. For those 360 owners who are concerned with everything matching and everything being new and up to date, they'll potentially have to replace everything to match the black color scheme. Yes, it's a stupid thing to do. But yes, those kinds of fanatical owners are out there. I might be one myself ;) )
kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

obviously lemming ownage, i can't believe they are making a fully better versionkyleali11

How is it obviously lemming ownage when no lemmings seem to feel "owned"?  Personally, if the zephyr and the premium had been launched together on day one, I still would have gone with the premium considering I still haven't used up half of my 20gb harddrive and I really don't see the importance of HDMI when I have 1080i on a 50" widescreen hdtv with surround sound and i'm loving every minute of it.

Cows seem to think that the lemmings are furious about this, but from what I can see, no lemmings seem to care.  Which leads me to wonder....are the cows jelous?  Seems like it, otherwise they wouldn't care so much and make so many threads about how much they think the lemmings have been owned by the zephyr.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjarantilla
The PS2 revisions weren't as significant and noticeable as the ones being proposed in this supposed rumor.asmallchild
I disagree. Again, as I said, the Zephyr doesn't offer anything the Premium doesn't do already unless you want to use IPTV or download a ton of TV/movie content from the Video Marketplace. That is the only advantage offered by the Zephyr model. The Zephyr only looks like a significant revision because of the numbers being spun up by Microsoft, but for the vast majority of gamers, it's no more functionally significant of a revision than the DS to the DS Lite.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 asmallchild
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]I disagree. Again, as I said, the Zephyr doesn't offer anything the Premium doesn't do already unless you want to use IPTV or download a ton of TV/movie content from the Video Marketplace. That is the only advantage offered by the Zephyr model. The Zephyr only looks like a significant revision because of the numbers being spun up by Microsoft, but for the vast majority of gamers, it's no more functionally significant of a revision than the DS to the DS Lite.

I agree that for the majority of owners, this upgrade isn't a huge deal. If you bought your HDTV more than a year ago, the HDMI port isn't even on your HDTV. The 120 GB HD will probably be released as an accessory too. And if your Xbox360 is still functioning now, you probably aren't too desperate for the enhanced cooling of the Zephyr. So yes, in terms of significant upgrades, the Zephyr doesn't offer much. But the upgrades are NOTICEABLE! The PS2 revisions were kept inside the system until the release of the slimline. I think everyone is going to notice a color change, an added port, and an upgraded HD (if the rumor is indeed true). And that could rile up a lot of fans who suddenly think that they are watching their beloved system become outdated. (even though as you said, that is untrue)