Your thoughts on GTA IV

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I've beaten GTA IV about 4 times, and I wouldn't mind playing through it again. IV isn't quite as good as Vice City, but it is still a hell of a time.

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

good campaign but after you beat it there isnt anything to do especially if you dont have online i just wish there was more wackiness and more a lot more weapons

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Compare to it predecessor Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto IV was a huge improvement in almost every category in my opinion. The way they change up on most of the gameplay mechanics made the game alot more enjoyable for me like the driving and cover system. As for the other expansion for Grand Theft Auto IV I don't know since I haven't played them yet.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
GTAIV is definitely a great game. I just didn't enjoy it as much a the previous ones.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#55 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I think it's a good game... but it's not the GTA of the old for me. They still hold more replay value in my book. Ironic that I find the one GTA with online multiplayer to have the least replay value. Good game, but doesnt stand out for me this generation.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

San Andreas was probably the most pathetic excuse of a GTA game. I've loved every GTA except that one. Blah.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I think it's a good game... but it's not the GTA of the old for me. They still hold more replay value in my book. Ironic that I find the one GTA with online multiplayer to have the least replay value. Good game, but doesnt stand out for me this generation.carljohnson3456

Hmm I haven't seen you in a while been lurking? :P

8Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 8Tango
Member since 2009 • 1953 Posts

I have the ps3 version without any of the DLC. So I only really have an opinion on the release version and I think it is one of the best games I have played. Most people just say it's bad because of it being loved by "chav culture" and they just want to go against the grain. It is an undeniably great game.

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 carljohnson3456

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]I think it's a good game... but it's not the GTA of the old for me. They still hold more replay value in my book. Ironic that I find the one GTA with online multiplayer to have the least replay value. Good game, but doesnt stand out for me this generation.Espada12

Hmm I haven't seen you in a while been lurking? :P

Nah, this is just the first time I've logged on in a very long time, lol.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#60 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

One of the best games this gen. Still i have yet to play the episodes

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

Simply amazing I thought. I love everything about it. I beat it 3 times, L&D twice, and when I get BoGT, I'll beat it at least 3 times. My favorite game this gen.

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

The biggest gaming disappointment of my life. It's truly a terrible game imo.

I do really want to try the two expansions though.

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 carljohnson3456

San Andreas was probably the most pathetic excuse of a GTA game. I've loved every GTA except that one. Blah.

BioShockOwnz
I disagree. GTAIV's missions were much more repetitive compared to San Andreas. I loved San Andreas, obviously.
fuchuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 fuchuzz
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

i bought it on release day, and well, its no wheres near as fun as VC was, so i don't really care for it.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

San Andreas >>>> IV

Avatar image for chunkymonkey313
chunkymonkey313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 chunkymonkey313
Member since 2009 • 329 Posts

simple. its fun

Nidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Nidget
Member since 2009 • 1325 Posts

San Andreas >>>> IV

Generalmojo
Vice City >>>> IV >>>> San Andreas >>>> III
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
An excellent game, one of the best of this gen. So much fun, attention to detail, and a great story. Much better than that garbage rip off that is Saints Row 2.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#69 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts

When I first played GTA4, I had specific expectations about what the game should be like, based on my favorite GTA game (San Andreas). When I played through the game, and didn't meet those expectations, I was extremely disappointed. The missions were too similar (go here, kill this guy/these people, come back), with only a few variations. Also, it had far less things to do on the side. It did have new types of media and that kind of things, but when it comes to side-activities (adding to the actual gameplay), it was a HUGE step backwards.

I only recently looked more into the DLC (specifically TBOGT, since I already knew a fair amount about TLAD), and got excited to play them. TBOGT specifically looked AMAZING. I haven't gotten Episodes From Liberty City yet (will probably wait a couple weeks since I just downloaded San Andreas on the 360), but while I waited for EFLC, I decided to play through GTA4 once again, partially so that I couldlook for the connections between Niko, Johnny, and Luis.

This time, I didn't have the same expectations going into it, I had a better idea of what they were trying to do in terms of both GTA4 (make the basis for the new gameplay), and the DLC (tweaking and adding to the gameplay that they started, and eventually allowing themselves to get more creative with the missions with TBOGT). Because of all that, I was able to appreciate what they did with GTA4 a LOT more this time. I still wouldn't say that it deserved all the 10s that it got from critics, but it did have a lot of great improvements to the core gameplay, interestingdistractions that they could expand upon in the future (TV, internet, etc.), while also having a great story. I was also very fascinated at how well it seemed like they added the connections to Johnny and Luis, both in subtle moments (a text message from Roman after you rescue him when he was kidnapped, and the guy you set up a date with talking about Gay Tony's money troubles), as well as more obvious connections. I found myself much more connected to the characters, especially the side-characters, the second time through, and as a result, more closely connected to the inner workings of Liberty City as a whole (I'm looking forward to expanding that through the expansions).

So, in short (:P), while I haven't played the expansions yet, they still helped me to appreciate the original more than I originally did.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

I think that GTA4 was a collosal let down for me, and I don't even blame the game, its me. Its the same stuff, over and over and over and over and over and over.... im seriously bored out of my mind with the GTA formula. The imagining of this massive city was highly impressive and the game was huge, I just can't stand sitting through another mission Ive played a thousand times since GTA3.

Avatar image for Dweedleking5000
Dweedleking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dweedleking5000
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts

I was disappointed by GTAIV. A lot of things that made the series so great was taken out. Missions were repetitive and dull and the story was nothing special either.

I did enjoy playing multiplayer with my friends though. I thought that was the real highlight of GTAIV.

With that said, I'm looking forward to playing the second expansion, BoGT thanks to the reintroduction of parachutes, something that I've always yearned in GTAIV.

SpinoRaptor24
story was freaking awesome. why didn't u like it?
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts

Do you hope that future Rockstar titles will share a similar vibe, or would you prefer them to stick to their roots?king_bobo

Oh yeah, and as to the future of the series, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I really want them to make a "trilogy of trilogies." I do want them to continue in a similar way to what they did with GTA4, where they have a big story, with a bunch of smaller storylines throughout, taking what they've learned from the previous trilogy and improving it. Make the improved GTA4 mechanics even better, continue with the mission variety that they seem to have with TBOGT, as well as continuing to add more things to do on the side (in terms of side-missions, mini-games, and general distractions like the TV). And by the end of the "trilogy of trilogies," I'd want them to end it off on a game that takes everything great about GTA4, combine it with everything great about San Andreas, so that we could have the absolute best game of the entire series (and if they do this, it would probably end up being my favorite game of all time). I'm not too worried about the actually tone of the games, as long as they can do it in a way that keeps the variety. If they can't do that while keeping it realistic, then by all means, make it unrealistic. Fun >>>>>> Reality. But, if they can have variety while keeping it realistic, I don't care, because both styles have their own benefits, and I can live with either one.