you think Crytek will go back to its Crysis PC roots

• 62 results
#1 Edited by CroidX (923 posts) -

Its well known the last two games were less well received than the original. Crytek expanding to other platforms didn't really make a whole lot of difference with the third doing far worse. We already know of Crytek financial woos and since they have contract with publisher they could probably end up in much worse situation if companies weren't making agreements with them.

"Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. Could explain why Ryse was so bad.

Perhaps they could do something like Epic games did or make a game where they can establish a large PC modding community like in Skyrim and introduce more people to CE3. Not sure but how many major developers are even using their engine.

Not the question is can they still make innovative pc games

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (6776 posts) -

Crytek (like pretty much all the badness in the industry today) can be attributed to marketing teams. The kind of dickheads you see on the apprentice talking about statistics and consumer habits.

#3 Posted by Animal-Mother (26186 posts) -

There have been too many changes in the past 5 years for crytek to ever go back to it's roots.

They'll go backrupt before they can make it back to PC

#4 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

No, they'll just continue to suck

#5 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

PC can save them. It can save them all.

#6 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (398 posts) -

No because they allies themselves with EA (worst company Ever)

#7 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3160 posts) -

I think Crytek will go back to its not existing roots.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

I don't believe they will do that.

And though Crysis is probably one of my favourite games ever, I doubt Crytek can still make quality games like that. Their last games: Ryse, Warface and Crysis 3 are nowhere near the quality that their first games were: Far Cry, Crysis and Warhead.

#9 Edited by CroidX (923 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

And though Crysis is probably one of my favourite games ever, I doubt Crytek can still make quality games like that. Their last games: Ryse, Warface and Crysis 3 are nowhere near the quality that their first games were: Far Cry, Crysis and Warhead.

Note how those games are more pc orientated compare to recent ones. PC have always been Crytek strength

#10 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

So does Valve

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (6776 posts) -

Perhaps making a Dayz or Minecraft clone will save them.

#12 Edited by BloodyTides (108 posts) -

Hopefully unless its too late and they end up being sold off or bankrupt.

#13 Posted by naz99 (985 posts) -

No, They had bags of potential after FarCry and then Crysis.....i was exited to see what was next...Then Crysis 2 Happened and it kept going downhill from there.

#14 Posted by Masculus (2800 posts) -

I think it's going back to dust.

#15 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6845 posts) -

I don't rule it out completely. They could go back to their roots. Very unlikely, but possible.

#16 Edited by Krelian-co (9973 posts) -

At this point i just hope they close (there, i said it, i don't care)

Their games have been terrible and we don't need more devs pushing more mediocre games into the medium.

#17 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (398 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@system-reboot said:

So does Valve

I dont think so. and even if so then valve will never abandon their PC roots.

#18 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@system-reboot said:

So does Valve

I dont think so. and even if so then valve will never abandon their PC roots.

Lol, bad

#19 Posted by jsmoke03 (12473 posts) -

if they go back to their roots then they are doing nothing new... and crysis isnt going to save them

#20 Edited by adamosmaki (9351 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

well at least imo Crysis 3 was a decent game and much better than 2 ( still though far from Crysis 1 and warhead )

#21 Posted by glez13 (8498 posts) -

Just like they evolved Farcry by mixing it up with the superpowers concept of the spinoffs to come up with Crysis, they need to evolve Crysis and come up with something new. Simply doing a prettier and modern Crysis won't cut it.

#22 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

well at least imo Crysis 3 was a decent game and much better than 2 ( still though far from Crysis 1 and warhead )

True, Crysis 3 offered bigger levels again, which was a welcome change from Crysis 2.

#23 Edited by DeathLordCrime (140 posts) -

I think its too late for them there going down the drain they have not made a critically acclaim IP for years. They should just restructure their studios perhaps lay off a bunch and start with minor projects like mobile and tablet or lower budget games in general.

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -

Their last great game was Crysis 2 (LOL anyone thinking Crysis was actually a open world sandbox game, it was designed the same way as Crysis 2). Crytek has gone to shit.

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

Their last great game was Crysis 2 (LOL anyone thinking Crysis was actually a open world sandbox game, it was designed the same way as Crysis 2). Crytek has gone to shit.

Thinking ?

If you play Crysis 1 and 2 back to back it's pretty clear how small Crysis 2 levels are and how open crysis 1s levels are.

#26 Edited by Krelian-co (9973 posts) -

@glez13 said:

Just like they evolved Farcry by mixing it up with the superpowers concept of the spinoffs to come up with Crysis, they need to evolve Crysis and come up with something new. Simply doing a prettier and modern Crysis won't cut it.

the concept is good and i think it works, they just need to make a decent campaign

#27 Posted by PapaTrop (117 posts) -

Crytek spent too long under EA's wing, and it didn't help that after Crysis 3 their next game (Ryse) went from a Kinect game to a rushed Xbox One game.

I've also heard their engine hasn't really taken off so far. It seems most companies would rather stay with Unreal, or their own in-house engines, and as far as indies go there is Unity. Not sure if CryEngine will secure a big enough market to keep Crytek up.

It sucks because high-quality, full-fledged PC FPS games are pretty rare.

I'll hold out hope that the STALKER spiritual successor becomes a reality, Unreal Tournament 20XX turns out nicely, and that Half Life 3 gets released.

#28 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Thinking ?

If you play Crysis 1 and 2 back to back it's pretty clear how small Crysis 2 levels are and how open crysis 1s levels are.

I know. Crysis 2 had smaller levels, but Crysis actually boxed you in a particular area with an objective and a side objective. They were pretty big, but it really wasn't open world like many Crysis fans boast about.

#29 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Thinking ?

I know. Crysis 2 had smaller levels, but Crysis actually boxed you in a particular area with an objective and a side objective. They were pretty big, but it really wasn't open world like many Crysis fans boast about.

Though I don't remember crysis drawing big yellow arrows telling you which path to take

#30 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26062 posts) -

Only way they'll go back to Crysis is if EA bankrolls it or they want to make yet another F2P game.

#31 Edited by lawlessx (46236 posts) -

There have been too many changes in the past 5 years for crytek to ever go back to it's roots.

They'll go backrupt before they can make it back to PC

the most we will get is a bunch of ex-crytek members getting together to create a successor to crysis and use kickstarter to fund it.

#32 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Thinking ?

Though I don't remember crysis drawing big yellow arrows telling you which path to take

Been a long time since I played either Crysis game, so I don't remember any big yellow arrows.

#33 Posted by Roler42 (461 posts) -

Going back to PC developement is the least of their problems right now

#34 Posted by AcidTango (440 posts) -

They should try to go back to their roots. But if that fails as well then they are finished.

#35 Posted by lglz1337 (3004 posts) -

crytek is the only hope for hermits pushing their spreadsheet rigs!

#36 Edited by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

Spreadsheets are fun!

#37 Posted by jg4xchamp (46604 posts) -

No. They are a lost cause.

#38 Edited by BldgIrsh (682 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@lglz1337 said:

Spreadsheets are fun!

He doesn't mean spreadsheet as that. It's actually hilarious for his reason on calling it "spreadsheet" race.

@lglz1337

pc spreadsheet is a waste of time just like this thread

only thing i see is neon lights, but nothing that beats the order and drive club

i just have a amd dual core and a poor 8800gtx, CSGO runs perfectly fine on it call me when a pc game really show of his power for now keep on talking about double fps, double resolution and some of those other enhancements. you can jipjap about your powerfull rigs all day long, but i've seen nothing that puts console into shame

i heard this shit before crysis not possible on last gen consoles

#39 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

lol, mad cuz bad

still waiting on that proof

#40 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (398 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Thinking ?

Been a long time since I played either Crysis game, so I don't remember any big yellow arrows.

Crysis 2 has big arrow showing where to go.

#41 Edited by ActicEdge (24307 posts) -

I don't even think Crytek will be making much of anything until they start paying their empolyees.

#42 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Thinking ?

I don't think thats true. There might be some fans that don't use the term 'open world' correctly but I've seen most fans talk about them as 'open levels', which is exactly what they are.

#43 Edited by Star0 (292 posts) -

I hope they manage to release Timesplitters 4 before they fold lol. Other than that, I don't really care. Crysis 2 taught me an important lesson. Fuck reviews.

#44 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10014 posts) -

@CroidX said:

"Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. Could explain why Ryse was so bad.

Ryse was bad because Crytek can't write a good story, create good characters, and because they made some weird some very strange design decisions with the combat. Also too much recycling, not enough "jumping at every next big thing" as it were.

Ryse was bad because Crytek made it.

#45 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2108 posts) -

Crytek sucked back then and it will suck forever

#46 Posted by xdrjx (54 posts) -

They did not suck before, FarCry was awesome, at least to me. I did not like what they released after sucking EAs balls, just like Bioware.

#47 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

back then??? how?? why??? when?? what??!!

#48 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1757 posts) -

Not anytime soon . Cevat Yerli even blamed PC piracy once again back in 2013 when other devs were praising record breaking game sales on steam . There is no going back .

Crytek had huge potential but sadly ... things changed . It's ironic that after going multiplatform , they made less profit than being PC only back in 2007 when steam wasn't even that big .

#49 Edited by naz99 (985 posts) -

End of Crysis 1 " Were going back to the island" awesome!

Me "can't wait to see what hapens next"

Crysis 2 starts "What the hell did we do on the island then? I have started on a sub im a different character Nomad is nowhere to be seen oh prophets here how did he get here? ...what the fuck are those red aliens arent they supposed to be blue? and i thought they needed cold to operate?? what the F prophet just shot himself in the face...WTF and why are they not telling me what happened! why am i in new york how did they get here and what happened to Dr rosenthall"

What the hell were they thinking and do they not understand how story progression works?

As for Crysis 3

"Right guys we had a game on a tropical jungle island and we had the second one in a city..what should we do for the 3rd game?

"I know! lets do Domed city covered in jungle!! Genius!!"

This right here is part of the reason they failed, utter lack of imagination and an inability to tell a story.

#50 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (398 posts) -

Not anytime soon . Cevat Yerli even blamed PC piracy once again back in 2013 when other devs were praising record breaking game sales on steam . There is no going back .

Crytek had huge potential but sadly ... things changed . It's ironic that after going multiplatform , they made less profit than being PC only back in 2007 when steam wasn't even that big .

I never understand why developers dont make multiplatform like valve do. or most recent shadow warrior build with PC first. release on PC first than console later. everyone will be happy. instead they choose full multiplatform development.

If PC exclusive is really good. there would be no doubt they will port to console in future (and it happen in most cases).

if Crytek want to make multiplat. they should have made Crysis 2 PC first than year later or even six month later they will release on console. infact Crysis 1 is also on console (but PC game).