You know you're too old for gaming when......

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

Just the other day my son snatched my m/kb from me when he sat and watched me die 4 times in the same place on Dead Space. With a little too much ease and just one try he past the point i kept failing on.

He is 11. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. A few years ago i had to lower my skill level on most games to give him a chance when we play vs. Now he shouts my 14 yr old daughter as she is more of a challenge than me. My wife finds it very funny, i on the other hand do not lol.

Just wondered if any other older gamers have had similar experiences? I'm 31 btw and my 5 yr old regularly beats me on wii games lol.

cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts

Just the other day my son snatched my m/kb from me when he sat and watched me die 4 times in the same place on Dead Space. With a little too much ease and just one try he past the point i kept failing on.

He is 11. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. A few years ago i had to lower my skill level on most games to give him a chance when we play vs. Now he shouts my 14 yr old daughter as she is more of a challenge than me. My wife finds it very funny, i on the other hand do not lol.

Just wondered if any other older gamers have had similar experiences? I'm 31 btw and my 5 yr old regularly beats me on wii games lol.

Frozzik
Well, i'm not even 18, and my 6 year old brother beats me with ease on SSBB. I blame the Wii.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Your never to old for gaming...

Or at least I want to believe.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
You're never too old for gaming, your tastes just change. I'm 31 and due to other responsibilities I don't play RTS and RPG games like I used to. I'm certainly not "casual", but I don't have the time that others do to game.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Your never to old for gaming...

Or at least I want to believe.

Nope, you're right. At least I hope to God you are. :P
bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bearbones
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts

He is 11.Frozzik

If anything, you're son is too young to be playing Dead Space. :P

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

my brother is 36 still playing games lol

i get my ass handed to me in halo from the next door neighbor kid hes about 11 as well and im 20 lol, makes me sad but hey thats japan for you everyones good at games here

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

i get my ass handed to me in halo from the next door neighbor kid hes about 11 as well and im 20 lol, makes me sad but hey thats japan for you everyones good at games here

Djmaster214
Thanks for the tip, *note to self* Don't move to Japan...
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#9 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

You're never too old for gaming, but I imagine I'll stop playing FPSs online when I'm 50yrs old or so.

The twitch reflexes just won't be there anymore :P

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 50u1r34v3r
Member since 2006 • 1560 Posts

You're never too old for gaming, your tastes just change. I'm 31 and due to other responsibilities I don't play RTS and RPG games like I used to. I'm certainly not "casual", but I don't have the time that others do to game.Eddie5vs1

It's the opposite for me.

I used to play only a few genres. (Mainly fps and fighters)

Nowadays I'll try every genre if the game looks like fun to me.

(I must say that I do tend to do more research when it comes to games that I find interesting.)

i'm 33 btw.

bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bearbones
[QUOTE="Djmaster214"]

Wasdie

On the other hand, chicks dig video games here. (I moved to Japan 2 weeks ago)
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts
Yes sir, been cut down too, too many times by my son and I taught him much of what he knows about gaming - no darn respect for their elders ya know. :o Seriously, he is much better at gaming then me these days though I believe I still do better with RPG's & drivers. :)
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="Djmaster214"]

bearbones

Really? *moves to japan* Hey ladies...
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
...when you're dead
bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bearbones
[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="bearbones"][QUOTE="Wasdie"] Thanks for the tip, *note to self* Don't move to Japan...

Really? *moves to japan* Hey ladies...

Yes, really. Just today I was in a SEGA arcade and there were more girls than guys.
darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkenedsquire
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts
You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Those damn reflexes will let you down every time.I've been stubborn about the difficulty levels in some games and I'm just starting to get used to accepting the fact that some games are just better for me on easy (Force Unleashed I'm looking at you) I still think in my case it's more of a lack of patience than anything else though. Some games are just badly designed and bad controls just frustrate the hell out of me. When I was younger, I had an infinite amount of patience and less systems to play.

Now, I'm like "I really don't have time for this ****.... :lol:

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

My oldest bro is 34 yrs old and he is pro in COD: WAW, he kickass and his kill/death ratio is something between 1.2-1.6 and his son never beats him, he got the platinum trophy for COD: WAW too and he is giving me two years challenge to get the platinum trophy just like him lol ( he knows that Im not interested in COD WAW like COD 4 thats why he is confident lol ).

Im 26 yrs old and I kick ass too.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HAZE-Unit

Those damn reflexes will let you down every time.I've been stubborn about the difficulty levels in some games and I'm just starting to get used to accepting the fact that some games are just better for me on easy (Force Unleashed I'm looking at you) I still think in my case it's more of a lack of patience than anything else though. Some games are just badly designed and bad controls just frustrate the hell out of me. When I was younger, I had an infinite amount of patience and less systems to play.

heretrix
Finished MGS4 on big boss difficulty, no kills, no alarms 8)
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
i don't think you can be too old...but then again im 20 and at the prime of my gaming i guess :P sadly its been harder to actual beat SP games....MP games are just easy pick up and play...get some wins...call it a day..
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

My oldest bro is 34 yrs old and he is pro in COD: WAW, he kickass and his kill/death ratio is something between 1.2-1.6 and his son never beats him, he got the platinum trophy for COD: WAW too and he is giving me two years challenge to get the platinum trophy just like him lol ( he knows that Im not interested in COD WAW like COD 4 thats why he is confident lol ).

you're 26 :? is your sister older or younger?
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
I'll be gaming unless I lose all my fingers or die.
...when you're deadst1ka
:P
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

HAZE-Unit

MGS 4 has really good controls. I never felt the need to adjust the difficulty on that game.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

my sis is younger and whats wrong with being 26? :cry:
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

MGS 4 has really good controls. I never felt the need to adjust the difficulty on that game.

How old are you? I think Im older than anyone I know in this site lol, just give me some hope.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
You know your to old for gameing when you think the 3 flashing red lights on your 360 means there an update waiting for you :lol:
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

nothing i just didn't think you were that old....and well thats good to hear your sister being younger :)
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] you're 26 :? is your sister older or younger?jg4xchamp

nothing i just didn't think you were that old....and well thats good to hear your sister being younger :)

oh I see, and just don't go there, Im telling you champ, Im telling you stay out of my sister's way :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Firstly, no one is "too old" for gaming. That is the mindset that far too many people have. It isn't "just for kids" and never has been. The reason why you aren't able to beat your kids is because they probably get a lot more practice in than you do, since you are working and making money to support your family while they go to school and sit around playing games.

Secondly, "winning" at a Wii game is more a flip of a coin than skill. Considering toddlers and the elderly can beat actual gamers.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] my sis is younger and whats wrong with being 26? :cry:HAZE-Unit

oh I see, and just don't go there, Im telling you champ, Im telling you stay out of my sister's way :P

You know your to old for gameing when your using "champ" in a sentence :lol: JP :P Im 19 btw
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] nothing i just didn't think you were that old....and well thats good to hear your sister being younger :)Gh0st_Of_0nyx

You know your to old for gameing when your using "champ" in a sentence :lol: JP :P Im 19 btw

:lol: that was unintentional "young man" :evil:
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts
When your over 18 without a girlfriend
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] my sis is younger and whats wrong with being 26? :cry:HAZE-Unit

:P well i'm not going to kuwait anytime soon..besides i still got Liquids sister and Lockes sister on the higher up at this point :P anyway i think you are never too old for gaming....we all need to be entertained.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I'm gaming until life and money will let me no longer.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] nothing i just didn't think you were that old....and well thats good to hear your sister being younger :)jg4xchamp

:P well i'm not going to kuwait anytime soon..besides i still got Liquids sister and Lockes sister on the higher up at this point :P anyway i think you are never too old for gaming....we all need to be entertained.

thats good to hear :P and I agree 100% with the entertainment comment.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp
I'm gaming until life and money will let me no longer.carljohnson3456
i think money is going to be an issue with the way console prices keep getting higher every gen :P
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Being bad at a game is different from being to old lol, Besides are we really ever too old for gaming? The answer is no, that would be like saying your to old to read or watch movies.
WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

I agree that you are never too old for gaming. I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, with a substantial gaming hiatus during my high school/college years.

In terms of turning down the difficulty, I haven't reached that point yet, but I am sure I will. I guess that I have been playing for so long now that my experiences make it easier for me to do well with regards to single player games. I still struggle at MP, though. However, that is probably more of a reflection of not playing as much MP, so my skills against human opponents tends to twindle rather quickly. Although, I certainly wouldn't rule out my age as a factor.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
I didn't actually mean i am too old to game. It was meant more as a joke and a way of asking for similar stories to my own. just wanted to clear that up lol.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts
I myself have a hard time keeping up with younger gamers. They even play longer.
Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts
well iam 23 and i feel that iam at my prime in gaming yea i might not be has fast with the fingers when i was like 16 but iam much smarter and that overall makes me a better gamer
GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTR_FX
Member since 2009 • 1121 Posts
im 3, and I plan to retire gaming at age 87 :|
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="Frozzik"]

i have slowed down a lot in rts games, if its between me and a good rusher i'm finished. if the game lasts past 5 min game time 90% of the time i win. back in the day i use to be a big RTS gamer and made some good money doing it, but with college and getting a real job there is just no time to get my speed up like it once was
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

Frozzik
31 is not old, and it's relative to the game, people that are professional on cs may be really bad at fifa vs a non gamer.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Yeah... I don't think I'm going to worry yet about being beaten by someone younger than me. Actually, there's one game where my brother always beats me in (he's 17) and it's Halo (I'm 20) but that's ok... I'm not bad at Halo, but damn kid is too good at Halo too... :x He does love it more than me though, so honestly I give it to him cause I'm not as competitive as he is in Halo. I prefer m/kb shooters. :P Still, I have to admit something... my girlfriend kicks my ass in Tetris DS. :x I swear I don't know how to feel, as competitive as I try to be with her, she will always smoke me. Our last game was like 13 to 5.... :| :( :? :cry: (oh and she's 11 months older than me...)
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
You know you're too old for gaming when.....you yawn when playing the video games when you clearly are not sleepy. Lately i have been doing that a lot :( My video gaming is on dying slowly..... im hoping that killzone 2 will be my defibrillator and bring it back to life...
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

Never too old for gaming...but since you set up your for someone to complete the joke.

...when Street Fighter II (during its hayday) looked as graphically impressive as SFIV (today)

Game On...

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts
there are a lot of old dogs out there who have grown up gaming. The thing that you have as you mature with this hobby is patience and understanding for a multitude of games. While the youngbloods are out here refusing to play games by particular developers, or of certain genres while vets like myself are playing everything under the sun. I wish I had all this stuff when I was a lad. These days, I play a LOT of games and because of that, I can only play a certain amount within a certain time frame. Because of this, RPGS from across the ocean are out, so are most sandbox games,MMOs, and ALL RTS's
grimhope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 grimhope
Member since 2003 • 978 Posts

Nope. Im 30 years old and to be honest im probably better at games now than i was when i was little. Case in point. Iv'e been playing the original castlevania scince i was 9 years old. Could never beat it, untill last year when i finally (after about 50 tries of trying to beat dracula) beat the game.

Sorry man, my guess is that you don't play enough games to keep you're skill level up.