You can't trust your own eyes?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

Because you are conditioned to think something is better and you don't trust your own senses.

An experiment in 2001 at the University of Bordeaux had wine experts taste a red and white wine, to determine which was the best. They dutifully explained what they liked about each wine but what they didn't realize was that scientists had just dyed the same white wine red and told them it was red wine.

The tasters described the sorts of berries and tannins they could detect in the red wine as if it really was red. Another test had them judge a cheap bottle of wine and an expensive one. They rated the expensive wine much more highly than the cheap, with much more flattering descriptions. It was actually the same wine.

It's not to say wine-tasting is pointless, it's to show that expectation can radically change experience. Yes, these people were experts, but that doesn't mean they can't be influenced by the same things as the rest of us, whether it be presentation or advertising or price.

This drives home the idea that reality is a construction of the brain. You don't passively receive the outside world, you actively construct your experience moment by moment.

And I think a lot of this generation is being plagued by some of the same influences.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

A few months in and people are already bitching.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9864 Posts

You kind of need to give a concrete example of this in gaming :)

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Damage Control.

My eyes can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p instantly. Same with 30fps and 60fps, just because lems are blind doesn't mean we all are. Go see your optometrist.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

So very true. I've seen fanboys imagine things that are objectively and demonstrably not true. We're all guilty of it at times though.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GravityX

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

My eyes can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p instantly. Same with 30fps and 60fps, just because lems are blind doesn't mean we all are. Go see your optometrist.

This is not constructive.

Xbox One has arguably the best looking game in Ryse, running at 900p 30fps with 1.18 tflop machine.

And on the other hand you have the Order running at 800p at 30fps on a 1.84tflop machine. Both exclusive and both not on last gen consoles.

So if you look at both games, how can you possible say the Xbox One is 30, 50 and some say 80% weaker?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Xbox One has arguably the best looking game in Ryse, running at 900p 30fps with 1.18 tflop machine.

And on the other hand you have the Order running at 800p at 30fps on a 1.84tflop machine. Both exclusive and both not on last gen consoles.

So if you look at both games, how can you possible say the Xbox One is 30, 50 and some say 80% weaker?

Cows get bionic eyes when they become fanboys,didn't you know?

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Except The Order isn't 800p...

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GravityX

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Well, I'd hope not as it looks extremely linear. Much more linear than Ryse. And yet Ryse in my opinion looks better.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'm sorry but what is the point you're trying to make in the OP? Do you have something more substantive or concrete?

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Cows get bionic eyes when they become fanboys,didn't you know?

just like how lems can count every single pixel with the multiplats last gen

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

It's a fine example, may be useful if I wanna flex some muscles on my colleagues :D .... other than that .... i didn't get what you are trying to say.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sorry but what is the point you're trying to make in the OP? Do you have something more substantive or concrete?

I think he's trying to say: "frame rate, resolution and power don't matter, only the end result matters".

This is fine in concept, but sacrificing resolution and frame rate produces lesser image quality and sometimes a worse gaming experience. Those are the kind of limitations you expect playing on consoles though so I do find it strange that people are suddenly making a big deal about games running at varying speeds and resolutions.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@GravityX: What you say is true and I agree 100%. It's something that applies even from education to politics, or health treatment (placebo, for example).

But direct comparisons like the MGS GZ videos can't trick your perception, and they still show a very different result/experience from the same product.

Also, the difference in perception ends when people know as much information as they can about the subject of comparison. See the importance that information omission has in that experiment.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OneLazyAsian

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Well, I'd hope not as it looks extremely linear. Much more linear than Ryse. And yet Ryse in my opinion looks better.

Both look like linear garbage in my opinion. But I guess it's some consolation to be the better looking shit.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GravityX

@SambaLele said:

@GravityX: What you say is true and I agree 100%. It's something that applies even from education to politics, or health treatment (placebo, for example).

But direct comparisons like the MGS GZ videos can't trick your perception, and they still show a very different result/experience from the same product.

Also, the difference in perception ends when people know as much information as they can about the subject of comparison. See the importance that information omission has in that experiment.

True, but it can also influence developers, especially when your making 4 different versions of a game. Hey this console is straight forward and more powerful. If another console takes more work to get better results, why would they bother.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

For now, see MGS: GZ for a fair comparison in graphics. PS4 stomps all over One (and PS3 and 360). With that said, we need to see more games (especially exclusives) on each platform. Give them a year to get Halo and Uncharted out.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

What TC is trying to say is: Dont believe the Hype.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Both look like linear garbage in my opinion. But I guess it's some consolation to be the better looking shit.

Fvckin hell, you guys have seen like 5 seconds of The Order and are already jumping into conclusions... and Ryse is highly based on QTE, The Order wont be.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Lems have really lost it.

Atleast that adds to the hilarity. Continue grovelling.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

If u are trying to downplay the power difference try again. The difference is substantial, take a look at mgs5 for example. Ps4 version on the right just looks so much sharper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

lol if you think Ryse looks better than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5J_uZrwEL8

you need a new par of glasses

I think its YOUR eyes who are deceiving you...

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

TC is right I can barely tell the difference between PS3 and Xbox One games.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

lol, TC is trying to say he is in severe damage control because he spent $500 for an underpowered console and can't sleep at night until he somehow justifies his beloved purchase over one that cost $100 less but is much more powerful.

too bad the reality is PS4 is 50% more powerful than xbone and it shows in every game that is getting released. Some else tell the TC that reality is not true because I just can't do it.

#dealwithit

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

30 fps, sub HD (lol black bars)

QTE movie game button prompts

cover shooter

Its bad. Ryse bad.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GravityX

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

It does look better and its not as linear. Not to say it looks bad.

But lets again look at the "lens", which is 1.18 tflops compare to 1.84 tflops. The Order should not only look better it should look way better and perform better, with better animation and performance.

And look at this.

http://youtube/yBgO3wP1VU8?t=10m32s

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@GravityX said:

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

But lets again look at the "lens", which is 1.18 tflops compare to 1.84 tflops. The Order should not only look better it should look way better and perform better, with better animation and performance.

lol, The Order does look way better, the best Ryse looks is in cut-scenes and those are pre-rendered haha. Everything in The Order is real time and not facked and at a higher resolution and still looks CG like in gameplay (from sources who have seen and played the game).

So this is a stelth The Order 1866 damage control thread? lol, damn for a game lems claim to be a gears clone it is sure causing them a lot of mental trama.

Sorry lem, Ryse can't touch this, but don't feel bad, I don't think anything on the PC at the moment can either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@GravityX said:

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

"It does look better"

It doesnt. Check your eyes.

"its not as linear"

and how dafuq do ya know that? How did you took that conclusion after seing 5 seconds of The Order footage? When Ryse was 1st shown at E3 it looked like it played on-rails. Dont pull baseless conclusions out of your a**, please or you'll only look like another fanboy

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GravityX

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

"It does look better"

It doesnt. Check your eyes.

"its not as linear"

and how dafuq do ya know that? How did you took that conclusion after seing 5 seconds of The Order footage? When Ryse was 1st shown at E3 it looked like it played on-rails. Dont pull baseless conclusions out of your a**, please or you'll only look like another fanboy

I thought I said so far. And if its only 5 seconds of gameplay why are a lot "fan boys" praising it as unbelievable and amazing. Can't have it both ways.

Bottom line is PS4 should be displaying exclusives that look way beyond Ryse, but it's not. Why?

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GravityX

@kinectthedots said:

@GravityX said:

@Vatusus said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

lol, The Order does look way better, the best Ryse looks is in cut-scenes and those are pre-rendered haha. Everything in The Order is real time and not facked and at a higher resolution and still looks CG like in gameplay (from sources who have seen and played the game).

So this is a stelth The Order 1866 damage control thread? lol, damn for a game lems claim to be a gears clone it is sure causing them a lot of mental trama.

Sorry lem, Ryse can't touch this, but don't feel bad, I don't think anything on the PC at the moment can either.

That's part of the cinematic, once they jump to the other building you see it transition to actual game play. In tight corridors. I hope it's not tight corridors and opens up to full and live city though.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Calling bullshit on the OP.. Expensive and cheap wines can taste the same sure, but red and white wines taste extremely different

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

WTF is this thread about? Did I take a wrong turn somewhere and end up in wine wars?

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OneLazyAsian

@Vatusus said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

Fvckin hell, you guys have seen like 5 seconds of The Order and are already jumping into conclusions... and Ryse is highly based on QTE, The Order wont be.

Well it is my opinion after all. When we see more, my opinion may change. That's why it's an opinion.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

@Jankarcop: The thing is though people were taking the piss out of Ryse almost day one when their game play was revealed saying how shit the combat was and it was full of QTE every 30 seconds. I don't see people taking the piss out of The Order in quite the same way, until we see more how can anyone tell, but it's not instantly a piece of shit like Ryse was.

Also the analogy of wine testing here is a fucking fail as well, we tasted Ryse and said it was shit, and when it was revealed is was a piece of shit, so thanks the other poster for bringing that up, a good example.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

TC is entirely correct and its well documented in psychology. Opinions generally rise to meet expectations. Its just the placebo effect, but it goes beyond just medical trials. It works the same for resolution and fps, if you expect them to make a big difference, you will notice a bigger difference than someone with no expectations.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BeardMaster
@Couth_ said:

Calling bullshit on the OP.. Expensive and cheap wines can taste the same sure, but red and white wines taste extremely different

Nah i believe it. They will delude themselves into being able to taste a difference, if they legitimately believe the wines are different, and consider themselves experts, then their brain wont let them admit they cant tell the difference.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@BeardMaster said:
@Couth_ said:

Nah i believe it. They will delude themselves into being able to taste a difference, if they legitimately believe the wines are different, and consider themselves experts, then their brain wont let them admit they cant tell the difference.

So it's some sort of pride thing? If it tasted different i'd say so. Red and White don't taste the same at all.. I mean I know Red Velvet cake is just a light chocolate cake with a hint of vanilla. Most people wouldn't realize it because it's dyed red..

But i've had cake that was dyed red and not a proper "red velvet" recipe.. I knew immediately and threw that shit out the window...

I know immediately when something isn't 1080p on my monitor as well

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeardMaster

@Couth_ said:

@BeardMaster said:
@Couth_ said:

So it's some sort of pride thing? If it tasted different i'd say so. Red and White don't taste the same at all.. I mean I know Red Velvet cake is just a light chocolate cake with a hint of vanilla. Most people wouldn't realize it because it's dyed red..

But i've had cake that was dyed red and not a proper "red velvet" recipe.. I knew immediately and threw that shit out the window...

I know immediately when something isn't 1080p on my monitor as well

Its an expectation thing, but probably some pride mixed in.

Then again when you were served that cake you probably didnt have any expectations. If it was served by an expert pastry chef, plated immaculately and you were told the background of the ingredients and the baking process before ever taking a bite. Might be a different story, even if it was all a rouse.

I know immediately when something isnt 1080p on my monitor as well, i just dont think its a huge deal.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

If u are trying to downplay the power difference try again. The difference is substantial, take a look at mgs5 for example. Ps4 version on the right just looks so much sharper

MGS V looks worse every time I see it.

Seriously, some PS3/360 games look better than that.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 I_can_haz

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

MGS V looks worse every time I see it.

Seriously, some PS3/360 games look better than that.

notsureifserious.jpg

You do realize that's from a compressed vid right? The uncompressed footage shits on anything on PS3 and 360.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_can_haz
@GravityX said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damage Control.

You lems have really lost it, lol. KZSF and the Order 1886 shit all over Ryse. The Order especially and it runs at a higher res than shitty Ryse's 900p.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I can tell the difference between 720p-1080p since the amount of pixels is pretty substantial.

720p is more blurry and it has a lot more jaggies. 1080p is a lot more crisp and has less jaggies. Colors pop and don't look distorted when they are upscaled.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I'm looking forward to Quantum Break more than The Order...mainly because of what Remedy did with Alan Wake and that they've said they want to do more with Quantum Break, and the live action show that is supposed to run alongside the game sounds pretty damn awesome (if its anything like Bright Falls its going to be an awesome show)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k

@I_can_haz said:

notsureifserious.jpg

You do realize that's from a compressed vid right? The uncompressed footage shits on anything on PS3 and 360.

Soooo uh... please explain to me, what use is it to compare versions using an compressed vid ?

Because I'm not really following.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@R3FURBISHED said:

I'm looking forward to Quantum Break more than The Order...mainly because of what Remedy did with Alan Wake and that they've said they want to do more with Quantum Break, and the live action show that is supposed to run alongside the game sounds pretty damn awesome (if its anything like Bright Falls its going to be an awesome show)

Yes ! Eventhough I think both studios have done great things, I'm looking forward to whatever Remedy is working way more. Just because I loved Max Payne, Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake.

Shame Alan Wake will never get a sequel, because it had a lot of potential. And Alan Wake is easily one of my favourite games on last gen. But Quantum Break looks very interesting as well.

I have no idea how the tie-in TV series is supposed to work though. Will that be downloadable on Xbone ? Will it be broadcasted everywhere where QB is released ?

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Yes ! Eventhough I think both studios have done great things, I'm looking forward to whatever Remedy is working way more. Just because I loved Max Payne, Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake.

Shame Alan Wake will never get a sequel, because it had a lot of potential. And Alan Wake is easily one of my favourite games on last gen. But Quantum Break looks very interesting as well.

I have no idea how the tie-in TV series is supposed to work though. Will that be downloadable on Xbone ? Will it be broadcasted everywhere where QB is released ?

hopefully they don't handicap quantum break like they did alan wake for the sake of the xbox again.

alan wake was supposed to be open world

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k

@killatwill15 said:

hopefully they don't handicap quantum break like they did alan wake for the sake of the xbox again.

alan wake was supposed to be open world

I don't think that has anything to do with Xbox. The PC version was also cut really late down the line, so it would've been linear regardless of what platform it was on.

Games change a lot during development, every game does. Remedy chose for a more linear style game because that would suit the story and narrative better. And though I would've liked an open world Alan Wake at first too, but when I played it I think the game is perfect as it is. Because for me the story in the game is really awesome, and I don't see how they could've told it as well as in a linear game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k

@Gaming-Planet said:

I can tell the difference between 720p-1080p since the amount of pixels is pretty substantial.

720p is more blurry and it has a lot more jaggies. 1080p is a lot more crisp and has less jaggies. Colors pop and don't look distorted when they are upscaled.

The difference between 720p and 1080p is most definitely present. Heck, any resolution increase is visibly better. Because it makes everything sharper.

Anyone who says they can't see a difference between 720p, 800p, 900p or 1080p is either lying, blind or a blind fanboy.