Xbox one - You get what you pay for (Who is gaining the larger profit margin?)

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Xbox one - You get what you pay for (Who is gaining the larger profit margin?) (45 votes)

Sony 31%
Microsoft 69%

Xbox one started at 499 with the kinect.

Then released a 399 version without the kinect

Recently lowered the price for the holidays for 349.99 with Sunset/CoD : AW

So, lets clear the air here: Kinect is not worth 100$, so lems can stop using the excuse that it was ONLY discounted 50$.

Even if Xbox 1 does miraculously outsell the PS4 with their units sold, Sony will still have a far significantly higher profit margin for PS4 over X1

Maybe MS will start giving their consoles away free after Mail In Rebates during Black Friday.

You get what you pay for, below average hardware for a cheap price

• 
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

I go a friend of mine thats in LOVE with forza.

And plays STRICTLY ONLY MULTIPLATS (GTA/FIFA/Soul Calibur)

That forza game though is pushing him to buy the Xbone.

He knows that the PC is the best for multiplats or that the PS4 is stronger.

However neither has Forza. So hes gonna buy the worst console to play the game he wants.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Sounds like this thread is just all the more reason why I'm perfectly fine with my PS4, and do not need to purchase any X Box systems.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Both consoles are overpriced for what they're providing... If the Xbone was 250$-300$ I would be glad to get it if it came with MCC. But until then I'll just stick with my PS3 that actually has games.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Yeah TC, how those awesome games on ps4 treating you? The biggest waste of money right now is the ps4.

Xbox one is releasing great new games. The online infrastructure actually works. Plus it has a host of other features if you wish to use them

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Don't they make all their money off subscriptions and game licensing/sales

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

"You get what you pay for, below average hardware for a cheap price"

You're talking about both consoles here, right?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@lostrib said:

Don't they make all their money off subscriptions and game licensing/sales

yup. i'd say there both losing money on each console sold (for the console only) but sony is losing less per console sold then MS is. They do it purposely to make it up later in fees (XBLG and PSN+) and game sales and accessories

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

who gives a ****

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@scottpsfan14: Heh, at least you didn't use the "supercharged pc" phrase after listing those specs. The major difference between a 400$ console and let's say 800$ PC is one actually has games, and has the capabilities of doing much more than just gaming and streaming.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Considering Sony never seem to know how to make money and somehow keep losing it, then Microsoft are likely to be gaining the larger profit margin.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

More importantly, why didn't you join my party last night? :P

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

the words Sony and profit do not go together. If your bank account is overdrawn 100 dollars and you put in 2 dollars you still have no money . that is sony in a nutshell

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

" So he´s gonna buy the worst console to play the game he wants."

That pretty much sums it up, I want to play Halo, in this case, Halo 5, I have the money to purchase me where I can play that game I want so I don´t give a damn which company makes more profit. Contrary to other hobbies gaming is cheap, my other hobby is bass fishing, you got any idea how much money I have spent in fishing rods and reels ? of course you can fish with one rod and reel and a few lures, but unless you live on a lake front property you have to go to the lake, that alone cost you in transportation vs I can game every single day all I have to do is turn on the console and place my butt on the couch.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Holy shit, so not content to play sales we're now analyzing profit margins? Am I still in System Wars or did I stumble into the Amateur Economics section of the forums?

NOBODY CARES.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Can Sony PLEASE give a game to their fans to play so they don't spend all their time making stupid ass threads?

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

I invited you to one on Live last night when I saw you playing SO and I was too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

OK TC what is Kinect's cost then? Not worth, as I never told anyone what it was worth because that is assessed by each individual. Also, why do care about Sony's profit margin? Are you a share holder? I am, have been for years. Why is your hiney so red? We can all tell something is stinging you.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

I invited you to one on Live last night when I saw you playing SO and I was too.

Really? I didn't get a notification? Damn inferior XBL....but seriously I didn't get anything.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cainetao11

@scottpsfan14 said:
@bldgirsh said:

Both consoles are overpriced for what they're providing... If the Xbone was 250$-300$ I would be glad to get it if it came with MCC. But until then I'll just stick with my PS3 that actually has games.

Depends really. With PS4 you get a GPU that is a 7-10% more powerful than a HD7850. A weak CPU but has far less overhead on a console so performs like say a Phenom ii x4 3.0GHz lets say. Except only 6 cores are in use for games. Has 8GB of RAM. A 3D Blu-Ray player. x2 USB 3.0 ports. A controller with motion controls, multitouch pad, and a light sensor. Then there's the cost of Wi-fi and bluetooth (not that much really). And then there is other custom chips like the eprom where the core OS kernal is stored. The quad core ARM chip for running some OS tasks. The download chip that allows network to work in stand by mode.

All for $400. Get a PC with that hardware and see how much it comes to. Retail price though, other wise we could just count a used PS4 price. There are also price drops to come with these consoles.

Yeah but my PS4 cant do half the things my PC can for me in my life. Then it also crushes the consoles in gaming. TC said it, you get what you pay for. All I see from that OP is someone that doesn't want other people to like the X1. Why he cares, I'll never know.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

Really? I didn't get a notification? Damn inferior XBL....but seriously I didn't get anything.

I'll look for you again. We should team up on some MP. Or at least chat how awesome SONY is.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The business master vs. the business in ruins.

It is pretty obvious that one has a profit margin over the other...........considerably.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

However neither has Forza. So hes gonna buy the worst console to play the game he wants.

its not the worse console because it HAS GOOD GAMES.

pc has dog shit RTS boring crap and ps4 has nothing, only flops and delays.

I'll take the console that actually has fun games. thats all that ever matters in gaming, GAMES.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

@papatrop said:

Can Sony PLEASE give a game to their fans to play so they don't spend all their time making stupid ass threads?

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By True_Gamer_

@ps4hasnogames said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

I'll take the console that actually has fun games. thats all that ever matters in gaming, GAMES.

The moment you see him BUYING FIFA+Forza EVERY YEAR and MAINLY those games ONLY....

What consoles with PLURAL "games" are you talking about? Why PLURAL?

Is FIFA exclusive?

Is GTA exclusive?

Is Soul Calib exclusive?

Ill wait for a decent reply.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

So is it too expensive or too cheap? Which is the TC crying about here? Lol smh...cows love the spin.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

please dont talk about profit margin....sony is in financial troubles. ms can afford the loss

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Liquid_Only on System wars will you see people..... bash deals for gamers. Out the side of their face.

Do you read the shit you type?

Cows /smh

They put the fan in fanboy. Don't you have a petition to get SSO on the PS4 yet. :p

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cainetao11

@scottpsfan14 said:
@cainetao11 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@bldgirsh said:

Depends really. With PS4 you get a GPU that is a 7-10% more powerful than a HD7850. A weak CPU but has far less overhead on a console so performs like say a Phenom ii x4 3.0GHz lets say. Except only 6 cores are in use for games. Has 8GB of RAM. A 3D Blu-Ray player. x2 USB 3.0 ports. A controller with motion controls, multitouch pad, and a light sensor. Then there's the cost of Wi-fi and bluetooth (not that much really). And then there is other custom chips like the eprom where the core OS kernal is stored. The quad core ARM chip for running some OS tasks. The download chip that allows network to work in stand by mode.

All for $400. Get a PC with that hardware and see how much it comes to. Retail price though, other wise we could just count a used PS4 price. There are also price drops to come with these consoles.

Yeah but my PS4 cant do half the things my PC can for me in my life. Then it also crushes the consoles in gaming. TC said it, you get what you pay for. All I see from that OP is someone that doesn't want other people to like the X1. Why he cares, I'll never know.

That's been the same since the dawn of computers though. A $100 laptop can do far more than any console ever will in the future. That wasn't the point I was making brah. I was talking hardware price. Consoles for what you can do with them compared to PC's have always been stupid price if you look at it like that. But from a hardware perspective, PS4 gives you a lot for the price.

Sure the PS4 gives you a decent amount for the price. And now that the X1 is going to be cheaper, the same could be said for that console. But I don't know one PC, hermit, elitist who built their rig and ONLY uses it for gaming. To cancel out all the other uses of a gaming rig and complain about its price is a stupid argument.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cainetao11

who's playing a new game the other cant that scored great here?

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

I'll look for you again. We should team up on some MP. Or at least chat how awesome SONY is.

Sounds good....the first part anyways lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

@raugutcon said:

" So he´s gonna buy the worst console to play the game he wants."

That pretty much sums it up, I want to play Halo, in this case, Halo 5, I have the money to purchase me where I can play that game I want so I don´t give a damn which company makes more profit. Contrary to other hobbies gaming is cheap, my other hobby is bass fishing, you got any idea how much money I have spent in fishing rods and reels ? of course you can fish with one rod and reel and a few lures, but unless you live on a lake front property you have to go to the lake, that alone cost you in transportation vs I can game every single day all I have to do is turn on the console and place my butt on the couch.

Used fish when I was stationed in OK. Great times.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@lostrib: I never asked what they are making as a whole, I asked which company is making more based off the units they sold

@everyone else, lets do some simple math that seems complicated for most of you

Sony Sells 50 Units PS4 @ 400$ = 20,000$

Microsoft sells 50 Units of X1 + Game @ 350$ = 17,500 (AND THATS WITH A GAME)

Now this might get tricky for most of you, now subtract the 20k from 17,5k and you are left with 2,5 k in favor of Sony. Dont forget the extra money Microsoft had to pay Activision and Sunside Overbore developers to put the game in their 349 bundle.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 True_Gamer_

@scottpsfan14 said:
@cainetao11 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@bldgirsh said:

That's been the same since the dawn of computers though. A $100 laptop can do far more than any console ever will in the future. That wasn't the point I was making brah. I was talking hardware price. Consoles for what you can do with them compared to PC's have always been stupid price if you look at it like that. But from a hardware perspective, PS4 gives you a lot for the price.

I know people here in greece that having spent €1000 on a rig are feeling that they have saved more cash than if they bought a €400 console.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cainetao11

@True_Gamer_:

Yeah I know a few also. There is a young fellow that lives down the hall from me that is pissing and moaning about DC not being as fun as FH2. I let him play FH2 in my room. I told him, just hold on. Bloodborne is coming and so are other PS exclusives. It will be worth its investment in the end, as will the X1 and WiiU imo.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

who gives a ****

Hey what party?

Sounds good....the first part anyways lol

hahahaha! I'll look for you tonight. I'm usually on around 9pm CST.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Maybe Sony can use some of that profit and make PSN not so shitty.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

The moment you see him BUYING FIFA+Forza EVERY YEAR and MAINLY those games ONLY....

Is FIFA exclusive?

Is GTA exclusive?

Is Soul Calib exclusive?

Quantum Break shits all over whatever ps4 has coming out, dead rising 3, sunset overdrive, halo MCC (yay!), Halo 5 next year (yayyyy), D4. thats good enough for me for now. Dragon age will keep me busy.

oh and by the way, the superior xbox one controller and the superior online makes multi plats SOOO much better on xbox one.

owned.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Is FIFA exclusive?

Is GTA exclusive?

Is Soul Calib exclusive?

Quantum Break shits all over whatever ps4 has coming out, dead rising 3, sunset overdrive, halo MCC (yay!), Halo 5 next year (yayyyy), D4. thats good enough for me for now. Dragon age will keep me busy.

oh and by the way, the superior xbox one controller and the superior online makes multi plats SOOO much better on xbox one.

owned.

Yeah the hardware besides the GPU is better quality on the Xbox One. Second the games are much better so far in this gen on the Xbox One so a few extra pixels don't matter to most people that know better.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol what company makes more money off the console is completely irrelevant because MS is constantly shitting out money while sony is bleeding it. Sony NEEDS the PS4 to sell well, MS doesn't need the Xbone to sell well.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@bldgirsh said:

Thats all well and good but what about the Games?

They could both be the most powerful Gaming hardware on the planet but without the games they are useless.

there is not very much Gamewise that sets the new consoles apart from the old ones, i can play 90% of the games Xbone and Ps4 gamers are playing on my 360 and save myself 400 quid.

All these console are at the moment are a 400 quid graphics upgrade on the same games i can play on 7th gen consoles

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

@lostrib: I never asked what they are making as a whole, I asked which company is making more based off the units they sold

@everyone else, lets do some simple math that seems complicated for most of you

Sony Sells 50 Units PS4 @ 400$ = 20,000$

Microsoft sells 50 Units of X1 + Game @ 350$ = 17,500 (AND THATS WITH A GAME)

Now this might get tricky for most of you, now subtract the 20k from 17,5k and you are left with 2,5 k in favor of Sony. Dont forget the extra money Microsoft had to pay Activision and Sunside Overbore developers to put the game in their 349 bundle.

Nice job of confirming that you are a moron

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FoxbatAlpha

@FastRobby said:

So no articles showing the costs of production for both consoles? This is just guess work...

It's a Liquid thread. He has Mad Cow disease.

It is kinda funny how he is getting owned in his own thread by his own pole.......................considerably.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

I heard foxbatalpha has a limited edition halo daffodil

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@SolidGame_basic said:

I heard foxbatalpha has a limited edition halo dildo

We don't tolerate that here in SW. If getting owned is too much for you to handle then maybe you might need to see the "Be excellent to each other" screen.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha: dude, it was my phone. Damn auto correct. I fixed it.