Xbox One Owners- UI and Voice Commands views

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Just curious cause after the new Edge article it seems like they don't own the system I do, and this might help those on the fence or curious about the system.

What's working well for you in the UI?

What isn't?

On a scale of 1% to 100% how are voice commands working for you?

What percentage of the time are you using voice commands?

What needs to be fixed ASAP?

My answers.

1. I've had maybe 3 crashes since launch, but for the most part its working very well for me.

2. I need to be able to see the storage for the HD and the power left in the controller batteries and they gotta get those install times down. Those are three issues for me.

3. 85/90% - seriously

4. 90% outside of gaming. It works well enough to use it. I don't want a X1 without Kinect.

5. See answer 2.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

The entire Windows 8 interface needs to be fixed. There is a reason why Windows 8 is hated all around the world, it's because of its clunky interface.

The PS4 is simple, easy on the eyes, has a relaxing soundtrack, and is beautifully designed. I can find everything I want in a heartbeat, everything is where its supposed to be.

The only thing it lacks is that I can't sort everything in alphabetical order (but that can be fixed with an update) and maybe add some dynamic themes as well.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

The entire Windows 8 interface needs to be fixed. There is a reason why Windows 8 is hated all around the world, it's because of its clunky interface.

The PS4 is simple, easy on the eyes, has a relaxing soundtrack, and is beautifully designed. I can find everything I want in a heartbeat, everything is where its supposed to be.

The only thing it lacks is that I can't sort everything in alphabetical order (but that can be fixed with an update) and maybe add some dynamic themes as well.

Windows 8 is a great OS once you get past the interface, which can easily be fixed.

And as usual,waiting for updates for the Delaystation 4

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fishsticklover

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

Windows 8 is a great OS once you get past the interface, which can easily be fixed.

"once you get past the interface" LOL

And what are you babbling about? Every platform needs updating, even your garbage PC/Windows.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MonsieurX

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

And what are you babbling about? Every platform needs updating, even your garbage PC.

Tons of missing features that should have been present at launch,poor launch buyers.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@shawn30 said:

Just curious cause after the new Edge article it seems like they don't own the system I do, and this might help those on the fence or curious about the system.

What isn't?

My answers.

1. I've had maybe 3 crashes since launch, but for the most part its working very well for me.

2. I need to be able to see the storage for the HD and the power left in the controller batteries and they gotta get those install times down. Those are three issues for me.

3. 85/90% - seriously

4. 90% outside of gaming. It works well enough to use it. I don't want a X1 without Kinect.

5. See answer 2.

What's working well for you in the UI? They left out some features, like HDD space. Other than that, I have no issues. I suppose I would if I used the controller for the UI, but I do pretty much everything via voice.

What isn't? Some of the OS features are hard to get to because they are buried too far into the interface. Not an issue if you know the voice commands, but if you don't, it is a little difficult.

On a scale of 1% to 100% how are voice commands working for you? 95%. And that is no lie. The only reason it is 95%, and not 100%, is that sometimes I run words together, like saying "Xboxon", instead of "Xbox on". That is the only time it does not work.

What percentage of the time are you using voice commands? Again, 95%, and that is no lie. I have only used the controller when voice commands are not available.

What needs to be fixed ASAP? There are missing UI features, and the gesture controls for the UI aren't that great. Also, the navigation is a little confusing. I would also like to see DVR functionality included. Or, dare I say, be able to replace my cable box altogether.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fishsticklover

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

And what are you babbling about? Every platform needs updating, even your garbage PC.

Tons of missing features that should have been present at launch,poor launch buyers.

Just like Windows 8 then.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shawn30

@StormyJoe said:

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

What's working well for you in the UI? They left out some features, like HDD space. Other than that, I have no issues. I suppose I would if I used the controller for the UI, but I do pretty much everything via voice.

What isn't? Some of the OS features are hard to get to because they are buried too far into the interface. Not an issue if you know the voice commands, but if you don't, it is a little difficult.

On a scale of 1% to 100% how are voice commands working for you? 95%. And that is no lie. The only reason it is 95%, and not 100%, is that sometimes I run words together, like saying "Xboxon", instead of "Xbox on". That is the only time it does not work.

What percentage of the time are you using voice commands? Again, 95%, and that is no lie. I have only used the controller when voice commands are not available.

What needs to be fixed ASAP? There are missing UI features, and the gesture controls for the UI aren't that great. Also, the navigation is a little confusing. I would also like to see DVR functionality included. Or, dare I say, be able to replace my cable box altogether.

I could not agree more about the DVR and cable box stuff. And they need to add the external harddrive feature ASAP.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

Don't you guys feel like a bit of a carrot talking to your console or owt?

I tried voice control on my PS, and while it works fine, I quickly reverted back to just using the darn controller; avoids funny looks as if I'm some kind of moose, and quicker to get about too.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

But I have the choice of OS,you don't and have to wait.

Boohoo

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shawn30

@_Matt_ said:

@StormyJoe said:

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

I tried voice control on my PS, and while it works fine, I quickly reverted back to just using the darn controller; avoids funny looks as if I'm some kind of moose, and quicker to get about too.

You know what? To be totally honest with you, I won't live without the voice commands now. I can turn on and off the console without ever touching the controller. Had a date night with the wife, used Netflix, never left the couch or touched anything but her, lol. Even I am a bit surprised how much I use it.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fishsticklover

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

@MonsieurX said:

@fishsticklover said:

But I have the choice of OS,you don't and have to wait.

Boohoo

So what? Every OS on the PC has or had updates to improve/add things, you are making a fuss over absolutely nothing.
And from the sound of it you are using Windows 8 so this delay garbage also applies to you.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inggrish

@shawn30 said:

@_Matt_ said:

You know what? To be totally honest with you, I won't live without the voice commands now. I can turn on and off the console without ever touching the controller. Had a date night with the wife, used Netflix, never left the couch or touched anything but her, lol. Even I am a bit surprised how much I use it.

Fair cop, more power to you sir (possibly literally in this instance ;) ). Glad there are people who will happily use it.

I'll try it out on a friend's XBO at some point in the future, maybe I would feel less like a tupperware box using voice commands on a system more geared to it; though it's probably more my mentality to talking to inanimate objects that's my problem...

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Only good command:

/thread

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I'm not using voice commands because Kinect is still in the box.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Voice command works well for me....there are some other problems though.

When I say xbox on ( which works perfectly- turns on my xbox, av receiver, direct tv receiver & tv ) I thought the xbox would sign me in right away with face recognition but it doesn't work and sometimes takes 10 to 15 minutes before it automatically signs me in, but when my wife walks in it signs her in right away ( annoys me )

Also when playing games if my wife walks in it will kick me out and sign her in and it will tell me to reconnect my controller, I have to go to the home page and sign me in again. It's a problem for online games.

And when there are multiple people in the room kinect voice command does not work as well and again I have the same signing me out problem.

Also I hate the way you have to sign in a guest to play a 2 player game

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shawn30

@chikenfriedrice said:

When I say xbox on ( which works perfectly- turns on my xbox, av receiver, direct tv receiver & tv ) I thought the xbox would sign me in right away with face recognition but it doesn't work and sometimes takes 10 to 15 minutes before it automatically signs me in, but when my wife walks in it signs her in right away ( annoys me )

Also when playing games if my wife walks in it will kick me out and sign her in and it will tell me to reconnect my controller, I have to go to the home page and sign me in again. It's a problem for online games.

And when there are multiple people in the room kinect voice command does not work as well and again I have the same signing me out problem.

I've had issues with more than 4 people in the room as well. I usually have to do my commands when everyone is quiet for a moment or so, lol. Small thing really but updates will likely help. A bud of mine had a issue signing in a guest for his two player game as well. They fixed it in a few minutes but at first he worried his controller was broken. MS get to work on this.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

I've had issues with more than 4 people in the room as well. I usually have to do my commands when everyone is quiet for a moment or so, lol. Small thing really but updates will likely help. A bud of mine had a issue signing in a guest for his two player game as well. They fixed it in a few minutes but at first he worried his controller was broken. MS get to work on this.

Yeah I am sure all these things will get better....other than that I am enjoying the hell out of my X1

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

System Wars thread addressing XBone users.. Where else would Xbone users be? LOL!!!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

DefenseBox One, go home.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30

@Shewgenja said:

DefenseBox One, go home.

@Shewgenja said:

System Wars thread addressing XBone users.. Where else would Xbone users be? LOL!!!

Its supposed to be a thread of system owners sort of giving their critique first hand, opinions and all same as posting the Edge article here. No worries.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts
Loading Video...

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

The little things on the PS4; like themes, sorting etc are all very easy to add in a update. The things bad about he X1 are problems with the software as a whole, and the fact that they compromised the gaming experience in order to implement TV, Kinect etc. It's just dumb to do all that instead of making a great gaming console & leaving TV out and some of the other unnecessary apps. MS just tried to do too much with the console.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@StormyJoe said:

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

No. It was rather natural to me. My girlfriend was over last weekend and had a lot of fun messing around with the channel changing and volume controls. That did get annoying after a while. Not the voice part, the fact that she changed channels ever 2 minutes...

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

1. I have ran into games going into the home screen but not often at all at all

2.these are definite issues but im sure they will fix eventually so im not really worried

3.yeah mines are about 90% accurate only times I have problems is when I do tv stations that sound similar to other ones

4.agree with this its just a good experience most of the time

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

The voice commands are ok. I get around 70-80% and it's frustrating having to repeat basic commands. When the room is full of people it's even lower than 70%. I dont feel like telling the room to be quiet while I try to navigate, so I just use the controller.

I like turning on and off the system with voice, that's about it. Which is what I thought would be the case.

The UI is not very user friendly, trying to go to as something as simple as system settings should be on home page or a menu. Install times are a joke, seriously, what was MS thinking. I agree on the battery indicator it would be nice as well.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shawn30

@Heil68 said:

The voice commands are ok. I get around 70-80% and it's frustrating having to repeat basic commands. When the room is full of people it's even lower than 70%. I dont feel like telling the room to be quiet while I try to navigate, so I just use the controller.

I like turning on and off the system with voice, that's about it. Which is what I thought would be the case.

The UI is not very user friendly, trying to go to as something as simple as system settings should be on home page or a menu. Install times are a joke, seriously, what was MS thinking. I agree on the battery indicator it would be nice as well.

Agreed bigtime on the system settings.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It works for me about 85%, but it rarely works for my wife, who has a quieter voice. I use it for everything because I'm in the 'testing' phase with it. I will most likely only use it while cooking, or other times when a remote isn't readily available. Also, I really want to be able to search for Netflix and Xbox Music items from within the app with my voice. I was really hoping that was going to be there on day one.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Voice commands don't work as I had hoped. Only register about 60%-70% of the time.

Also have had issues interfacing with both my cable box and audio receiver. Also the lack of a Kinect extension cable is frustrating.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Voice com.ands work about 90% of the time for me. You do have to annunciate especially when changing channels as some sound similar.

I use voice the majority of the time especially when i want to snap tv while waiting for a map to load or race to start.

agree the settings are buried when using the controller

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I also noticed that when I speak more naturally, it works a little better. I was trying to over-enunciate everything like I did with the 360, and it wasn't working. Then I say it more casually and it works right away. Strange.

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

Fam I don't know what folks are doing but it works like a charm for me 98% of the time may I have to say XBOX ON twice every now and then but besides that its all good. People needs to understand that you don't have to say XBOX everytime you do a command once you say XBOX its listening then THE STUFF YOU NEED TO SAY IS HIGHLIGHTED ON THE SCREEN !!!!!!! Whats so hard about that? And about that EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE I have my Bluray Player hooked through my x1 and my external hardrive hooked to the usb on the bluray player.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I use the voice commands way more than the motion controls. It's probably 95% accurate for me but some comands work 100% every time like the turn off command and go to command. Lvoe that netflix is voice controlled, so i can watch shows without having to touch a controller. I can pause while leaving the room by just saying "xbox pause".

The auto sign in is great too. And in the options you can set on an option to make the games save state on exit so they can be resumed instantly after boot. Dead Rising 3 is up and running within 2-3 seconds after the OS displays on screen. beign able to switch to another game with a single voice control is absolutely one of the best features, its super fast and nearly instant.

Now, what needs to be fixed. The 'xbox on' command doesn't often register. The os is ok but shoudl be laid out differently or better yet, make it fully customizable. DLNA ability to navigate through my nas? yup, missing on x1 and ps4 (d'oh). Would like to see a solution for the hard drive size because 500gb is small with games reaching up to 50gb each disc in the future.

Overall great piece of tech.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Krelian-co said:
Loading Video...

LMAO! Win.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inggrish

@StormyJoe said:

@_Matt_ said:

No. It was rather natural to me. My girlfriend was over last weekend and had a lot of fun messing around with the channel changing and volume controls. That did get annoying after a while. Not the voice part, the fact that she changed channels ever 2 minutes...

haha, channel roulette.... never know what you may end up watching...

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@shawn30 said:

What isn't?

My answers.

3. 85/90% - seriously

5. See answer 2.

ok I have had to reboot my xbox 5 times since November 22nd. Now when I say 5 times, that's total, I have the xbox one on 24/7. it has a glitch where if you use the xbox off command with a lot of apps, it seems to get hung up in memory, ie sleep mode issues, nothing new for window users. I don't usually turn off my xbox one and penello says its ok to always be on, but sometimes I think to myself give the system a rest. lol. The issue you will get when it gets stuck is the tv off and or stb off wont work, and upon waking, the tv will not output. Its not necessarily a bad thing since I have sometimes 3 games opened up and paused, and another app opened so it clears with the cold boot.

Now on the Kinect side, it seems to get better each and every day. I do the recognize tool about 3 times, once shaven, once with glasses on, once with a slight beard and in all various lights. the xbox one now recognizes me 100 percent of the time. my wife gets pissed off and doesn't wanna do it but it recognizes her about 70 percent of time when we are both in room.

Voice commands. at first I had some issues, I had it directly below my hdtv and the sound was definitely messing with it, I then moved it to the right side of the tv ontop of the xbox one and that improved the voice a lot. still had issues. I read that the best way to get the voice to work is with the pdp mount. I then called 14 gamestops yesterday and everything was out, as well as xbox ones. I then called NYC on a whim and they said they see one in stock in Jackson heights, so I went to Jackson heights and sure enough they had one. I also had a bid for 53 dollars for one on ebay that was beaten for 83 dollars, I have proof if you guys want. the mount at 20 bucks that I got was just sold at 83. anyway installing it was a breeze and I can honestly say the Kinect experience is now borderline godly, voice is about up to 90 percent, and recognition is awesome as well. the mount is a worth while investment. Also note, when doing the calibration for the Kinect, make sure you put the sounds all the way up and be as quietly as possible. This calibrates the noice cancellation and its good to have that on max or as high as you can go. in future I believe we will have access to this. maybe the edge guys didn't calibrate, I don't know, but yes the Kinect and xbox one take some getting used to, and it getting used to you.

in closing, this is truly a next gen experience. If I want graphics I will play on my PC, but as Ryse has proven, the xbox one is no slouch in graphics so im not worried, even at 900p. I cannot wait to see the xbox one and Kinect evolve, there is so much to improve upon and those improvements are just going to differentiate it from its competition. Its honestly a great experience and I have never been happier with a purchase in my life, even with its flaws and incompleteness. Id say in a year the xbox one will really start to shine, and in 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, start to glow even more.