Xbox 360=Genesis, PS3=SNES

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#51 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605:

Great read dude. I would've believed it just being said, but that is eerie when you bullet point it out.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Yep, charizard has become a cow.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

360 = 360

PS3 = PS3

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make these kinds of comparisons.

I agree with this assessment. One can to try draw parallels and find similarities between different systems across different generations all day long, but in the end, the circumstances, technologies, markets, expectations and even the respective companies are all VERY different and unique.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

What the heck you talking about !?

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The only issue was that its competition soon got its shit together

Soon apparently means 6 years later, when the gen was about to end anyway.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#56 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

As good as the PS3 is, eww hell no!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11279 Posts

Your thread is spot on, Charizard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Telekill said:

I see where you're coming from OP but I'm going to disagree because comparing my beloved Genesis to the 360 puts an almost negative stigma with the classic system.

Anyone remember Zero Tolerance on Genesis? Awesome.

The 360 was a great console too, why would there be any stigma attached?

Because the Genesis dwarfs the 360 in the quantity of quality exclusives.

There are some false statements in your post as well, the Mega Drive/Genesis sold best in NA & Europe, but its 3rd party support came from Japan. I am a genuinely huge fan and i can't even remember any notable western games for the Genesis. Yes, it had shooters (still some of the best out there), which were from Japan.

SNES sold more, but they are equal in terms of quality games if you're familiar with both of their best games. Most people are naturally not familiar with the Mega Drive/Genesis best games because its best are hidden gems.

My point is that it boils down to preferance. The Genesis destroys the SNES in terms of shumps and side scrolling action games. Wile the SNES destroys the Genesis in terms of JRPGs and platformers. I love the twitch, so the Genesis is a better system than the SNES for me.

I can understand your comparison as there are some similarities between these two generations though.

As for the western third party support, I am talking about things like Road Rash, EA Sports games, and the like, that all made their name on the Genesis, and are what caused it to catch on like it did with the mainstream.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

As for the western third party support, I am talking about things like Road Rash, EA Sports games, and the like, that all made their name on the Genesis, and are what caused it to catch on like it did with the mainstream.

Ah yeah, that's true. I never owned a SNES/Genesis before 2008, so sports & racing titles on these two might as well not exist for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Lucianu said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ah yeah, that's true. I never owned a SNES/Genesis before 2008, so sports & racing titles on these two might as well not exist for me.

Yeah, those are the kinds of games that make a system popular in the here and now, but won't actually be remembered years down the line, you know? Like, it's a large reason why the Xbox 360 got as popular as it did, but of course no one 20 years later will be playing FIFA 11 lol.

Incidentally, speaking of the SNES, I started playing the SNES version of Link to the Past last night. Damn, I had forgotten how bad the translation was in this version of the game.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#61 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Another creative thread, but I don't think I can confidently say the PS3 ultimately trounced the 360. They're pretty close in sales, the PS3 just has longer legs because it makes a good blu-ray player.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Huh? I'm going to give a big "NO" to that analogy for the various reasons already posted in this thread. Gen 7 doesn't remind me of gen 4 in the slightest.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@charizard1605:

Why thank you. I'd return the complement but I just don't like you very much.

It's fully mutual, don't worry

Awww, Star Crossed Love.

Invite me to the wedding :D

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@nini200 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@charizard1605:

Awww, Star Crossed Love.

Sorry, no freaks allowed.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@nini200 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@charizard1605:

Awww, Star Crossed Love.

Sorry, no freaks allowed.

B, b, but it's a Night Wedding. O.O

And you know what they say about the night ;)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#67  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

Two things,the mega drive had plenty of games coming out in it´s late years(from 94 to 96,even through 97 and 98),with great games like Phantasy Star 4,Comix Zone,Vectorman,Ristar,Sonic 3D,Road Rash 3,Earthworm Jim 2,X-Men 2 Clone Wars,among so many others coming late in it´s lifecylcle,plenty of exclusive titles,unlike the 360 and secondly,as far as sales are concerned,only in japan was the snes the best selling console,the mega drive/genesis was overall the best selling console of that gen in Europe,North America,South America and Oceania,japan was the big outlier but the difference there was so large that it made the overall difference in the snes favor.

SNES was the higher selling console in North America as well. After 1994, it came back and took the lead, and continued selling into 1997.

Secondly, the 360 still continues to get games too, most of those are just third party multiplats, and thus not that notable. Similarly, while the Genesis continued to get games even after Saturn's release, most of them weren't all that notable.

http://segatastic.blogspot.pt/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

It´s for the overall american continent,not just north america like I said but it doesnt really matter,we aren´t dividing the sales numbers in europe by eastern or western either so in a logical sense,the mega drive/genesis was still the best selling console of the whole european continent,the whole american continent and Oceania.

The MD/Gen got several of notable great and exclusive titles as well as pretty much all the relevant multiplats until it´s end around 97/98,and in the exclusives department a heck of a lot more than the 360 got in it´s last two years,not even close.

America includes Brazil, and Brazil was a Sega monopoly.

In North America, Canada, Japan, and parts of Western Europe, SNES won. In other places, Genesis won.

And sure, I mean they're not exact carbon copies of each other, but the point of similarity between the 360 and Genesis still stands.

Actually, the Mega Drive / Genesis also outsold the SNES in North America and Western Europe...

SNES

• Japan - 17.17 million
  • Americas (North & South) - 23.35 million
  • Elsewhere (Europe, Mainland Asia, Africa) - 8.58 million

Mega Drive / Genesis

• Japan - 3.58 million
  • Americas - 26 million+ (23 million in North America, 3 million+ in South America)
  • Europe - 8 million+

Overall sales outside of Japan:

• SNES - 31.93 million
  • Mega Drive - 37.58 million+

In other words, MrYaotubo is correct to suggest that Japan is the only reason why the SNES pulled ahead of the Mega Drive overall, since the Mega Drive did poorly in Japan (worse than the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16). In this sense, the SNES is actually more like the 360, since the 360 trounced the PS3 in its home US territory while the PS3 beat it everywhere else, but because the 360's lead over the PS3 in the US was so big, that's why the 360 had the overall edge in sales.

Nevertheless, in some of the other ways you mentioned, the 360 can be considered more comparable to the Mega Drive and the PS3 more like the SNES. We could go even further back in comparing the PS2 to the NES and the Xbox to the Master System. Like the NES, Sony dominated with the PS2, so the way Microsoft gained the initial lead with the 360 is pretty comparable to what Sega did back then. In other ways, Microsoft could also be seen kind of like a modern Sega in the sense that it always ended up second place overall, but like how Sega had (and still has) its successful arcade business to back it up, Microsoft has its successful PC operating system business to back it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy: @Desmonic: Thank you!

I did actually point out the similarity once before between the two generations years ago, but at that point, most people asked me to wait the generation out first, since the SNES and Genesis landscape was dramatically different by the end than it was at the beginning or middle of the gen.

It looks like ultimately my (and yours) original hunch was correct, and that history did indeed repeat itself in this instance.

@mrintro said:

I didn't read this because the answer is no

If you read it, you'd see the answer was closer to yes than no

@mems_1224 said:

I would agree if the PS3 wasn't complete garbage most of the gen.

Thankfully, it wasn't

@foxhound_fox said:

360 = 360

PS3 = PS3

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make these kinds of comparisons.

I mean, we could go back to comparing the number of pixels in the Xbox One and PS4 versions of multiplats again if you would rather have that.

I would gladly talk about anything and everything other than that crap for the 1265230th time. The comparisons between the 2 generations have similarities but I wouldn't say I agree with everything you have said. The first party titles dried up a little on the Genesis because of the Sega CD and 32X. And I don't think shooters were quite as big on the Genesis as you claim. In fact I wouldn't say Sega really mastered them until the Saturn.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@charizard1605 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

Two things,the mega drive had plenty of games coming out in it´s late years(from 94 to 96,even through 97 and 98),with great games like Phantasy Star 4,Comix Zone,Vectorman,Ristar,Sonic 3D,Road Rash 3,Earthworm Jim 2,X-Men 2 Clone Wars,among so many others coming late in it´s lifecylcle,plenty of exclusive titles,unlike the 360 and secondly,as far as sales are concerned,only in japan was the snes the best selling console,the mega drive/genesis was overall the best selling console of that gen in Europe,North America,South America and Oceania,japan was the big outlier but the difference there was so large that it made the overall difference in the snes favor.

SNES was the higher selling console in North America as well. After 1994, it came back and took the lead, and continued selling into 1997.

Secondly, the 360 still continues to get games too, most of those are just third party multiplats, and thus not that notable. Similarly, while the Genesis continued to get games even after Saturn's release, most of them weren't all that notable.

http://segatastic.blogspot.pt/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

It´s for the overall american continent,not just north america like I said but it doesnt really matter,we aren´t dividing the sales numbers in europe by eastern or western either so in a logical sense,the mega drive/genesis was still the best selling console of the whole european continent,the whole american continent and Oceania.

The MD/Gen got several of notable great and exclusive titles as well as pretty much all the relevant multiplats until it´s end around 97/98,and in the exclusives department a heck of a lot more than the 360 got in it´s last two years,not even close.

America includes Brazil, and Brazil was a Sega monopoly.

In North America, Canada, Japan, and parts of Western Europe, SNES won. In other places, Genesis won.

And sure, I mean they're not exact carbon copies of each other, but the point of similarity between the 360 and Genesis still stands.

Actually, the Mega Drive / Genesis also outsold the SNES in North America and Western Europe...

SNES

• Japan - 17.17 million
  • Americas (North & South) - 23.35 million
  • Elsewhere (Europe, Mainland Asia, Africa) - 8.58 million

Mega Drive / Genesis

• Japan - 3.58 million
  • Americas - 26 million+ (23 million in North America, 3 million+ in South America)
  • Europe - 8 million+

Overall sales outside of Japan:

• SNES - 31.93 million
  • Mega Drive - 34 million+

In other words, MrYaotubo is correct to suggest that Japan is the only reason why the SNES pulled ahead of the Mega Drive overall, since the Mega Drive did poorly in Japan (worse than the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16). In this sense, the SNES is actually more like the 360, since the 360 trounced the PS3 in its home US territory while the PS3 beat it everywhere else, but because the 360's lead over the PS3 in the US was so big, that's why the 360 had the overall edge in sales.

Nevertheless, in some of the other ways you mentioned, the 360 can be considered more comparable to the Mega Drive and the PS3 more like the SNES. We could go even further back in comparing the PS2 to the NES and the Xbox to the Master System. Like the NES, Sony dominated with the PS2, so the way Microsoft gained the initial lead with the 360 is pretty comparable to what Sega did back then. In other ways, Microsoft could also be seen kind of like a modern Sega in the sense that it always ended up second place overall, but like how Sega had (and still has) its successful arcade business to back it up, Microsoft has its successful PC operating system business to back it up.

Indeed,this is pretty much what I meant,the mega drive was the best selling 16 bit console overall outside of japan.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

except Wii won

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#71  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

except Wii won

...Which would make the 360 and PS3 somewhat like the Xbox and GameCube, fighting for second place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jag85 said:

@DaBrainz said:

except Wii won

...Which would make the 360 and PS3 somewhat like the Xbox and GameCube, fighting for second place.

Although Wii was never competing for the same demographic to begin with, so it won in a segment that it had all to itself.