Xbone got boned in Japan, its boss resigns

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Following the dismal Xbone sales performance, the boss of Xbox Japan has been fired and is likely to be replaced by some ex-Sony exec with the tenure of 25 years there. Personally I think this won't change a thing and despite having some potential with Titanfall and Dead Rising 3, it'd have taken a couple of dozen JRPGS to temporarily elevate its sales to, let's say, Wii U level.

Here's the story by the way:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-28-japanese-xbox-boss-resigns-following-xbox-one-launch-flop

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I dont see and console doing where there. I think the hand holds and cafe internet gaming will rule.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Headline: "Fires its boss"

Article: "Resigns his post but will remain with Microsoft"

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@mikhail said:

same thing.... politely asked to step down... no doubt.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries

I was typing it from a phone on a 50 mile drive on a bus while being in a full winter "body armor" and having lots of bags on me. Sorry for not making this distinction but as Birdy pointed out it might have been the very same thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

i literally semi wanna exchange my xbox 1 for ps4 cuz i just saw some ps4 dashboards that looked sweet and xbl looks nothing like that

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

Agreed. Japanese don't want to buy an American company's console, period. Nothing wrong with that imo. They like their own company's products, always have in this industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

Agreed. Japanese don't want to buy an American company's console, period. Nothing wrong with that imo. They like their own company's products, always have in this industry.

even euros do too they bought ps3's when xbox 360 was the leader

im worried bout microsoft since even usa ppl areliking ps4 as much or more than the xbox one

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

LOL!!! That job is a one way ticket to doing something else soon.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Along with the lowest Japanese launch for a home console in recent years, NeoGAF notes that Media Create figures reveal sales of just 776 Xbox One consoles last week, while the PS4 and Wii U sold 12,400 and 9,600 respectively.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

"The Xbox One suffered the lowest Japanese launch for any home console in recent years - well below Wii U (308k in two days), the PlayStation 4 (322k in two days) and any other machine from the last few console generations.

Sales have since dropped off to just a trickle.

776 Xbox One consoles were sold in Japan last week according to numbers company Media Create. In comparison, PS4 sold 12.4k and Wii U sold 9.6k."

---

"The top Xbox Japan job has now fallen to Yoshinami Takahasi, who joined the company back in July following more than 25 years at Sony."

Hmmm.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Not sure what they expected.

Consoles have been doing worse and worse over there, and the Xbox never did well. Of course it'd sell poorly.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I dont see and console doing where there. I think the hand holds and cafe internet gaming will rule.

Could you translate this please?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

I dont see any consoles selling well there. I think handheld gaming and PC gaming in internet cafes is what does well there.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I don't really see a bright future for Xbox outside the states... and even in the USA the ps4 is clearly ahead.

I don't know about you guys but I don't much like the idea of a monopoly within the gaming industry...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Is MS blind? Japan doesn't want american products and one that is as fugly n bulky is probably laughed at than anything else.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Wasn't the 360 also a failure?

Japan doesn't like american products.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cainetao11

@ProtossRushX said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

im worried bout microsoft since even usa ppl areliking ps4 as much or more than the xbox one

Well that reminds me of Drill Sgts thanking us new recruits on our first day in boot. Less than one percent actually serves the USA in the armed forces. Most take for granted what they have here and go for what is popular. PS4 is a stronger system graphically. That said, MS has supported US troops abroad more than Sony. That means little to the average American consumer, though

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Following the dismal Xbone sales performance, the boss of Xbox Japan has been fired and is likely to be replaced by some ex-Sony exec with the tenure of 25 years there. Personally I think this won't change a thing and despite having some potential with Titanfall and Dead Rising 3, [b]it'd have taken a couple of dozen JRPGS[/b] to temporarily elevate its sales to, let's say, Wii U level.

Here's the story by the way:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-28-japanese-xbox-boss-resigns-following-xbox-one-launch-flop

Because the 360 being the only next gen system with rpg's last gen totally helped it beat PS3 in Japan.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I've not really looked at what Japanese people buy with other products... does the same thing occur with stuff like mobiles phones and other products that have Japanese companies designing and/or making them?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

There is only one way for the Xbox to make it big in Japan, and I have the recipe for success.

They need to go back to that Milo idea they demoed before the Kinect launch on the Xbox 360, but instead of having a young boy to be friends with, they need titillating young virtual girls instead, call it the virtual girlfriend experience. One that will be there to greet you when you come home, like "How was your day at work. Oh, BTW, I went to the mall today, bought this skimpy little number, would you like me to change into into it for you." A feature that uses the power of the Cloud to text your cellphone and make actual phone calls to you and even text you images of themselves in their underwear while the users are work, call you to sensually flirt with you and ask you if you're coming home after work, one that says "oh, and there's a new episode of whatever show up for streaming, how about coming home and watching it with me".

Something tells me Japanese people would eat this shit up.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I guess Japan isn't sucked in to Clowd Powah and the wonder that is Kinect. 0_o

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I wonder why Sony hasn't fired half it's staff yet.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

Well that reminds me of Drill Sgts thanking us new recruits on our first day in boot. Less than one percent actually serves the USA in the armed forces. Most take for granted what they have here and go for what is popular. PS4 is a stronger system graphically. That said, MS has supported US troops abroad more than Sony. That means little to the average American consumer, though

Yeah, I'm not really seeing why MS (American company) supporting US troops more than Sony (Japanese) company means anything. At this point, who cares? Should the American consumer, instead of looking at relevant information (price, features, games, etc. etc.), should focus on who supports the troops more?

@ten_pints said:

I've not really looked at what Japanese people buy with other products... does the same thing occur with stuff like mobiles phones and other products that have Japanese companies designing and/or making them?

You have things such as the food industry (they have over 80 flavors of Kit-kats, even baked potato, and various fast food chains such as KFC, etc.). For smart phones, Apple is leading the way with the iPhone with them having about 70 percent marketshare (old article but still gets the point across Japan's phone rankings). Markets within Japan aren't solely dominated by Japanese companies. I think it is more of an excuse to say MS won't win Japan because Japan doesn't buy American products. They don't buy MS consoles because it doesn't appeal to them.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#25 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Even Ps 4 isn't doing well there anymore . What did they expect ?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@mikhail said:

Lol yeah... over-dramatized much?

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Oh yeah, how well does the iPhone sell in Japan?

Hint: I already know the answer ;).

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

the xbox has never been a seller over there though......

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cainetao11

@StrifeDelivery said:

@cainetao11 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

Yeah, I'm not really seeing why MS (American company) supporting US troops more than Sony (Japanese) company means anything. At this point, who cares? Should the American consumer, instead of looking at relevant information (price, features, games, etc. etc.), should focus on who supports the troops more?

@ten_pints said:

You have things such as the food industry (they have over 80 flavors of Kit-kats, even baked potato, and various fast food chains such as KFC, etc.). For smart phones, Apple is leading the way with the iPhone with them having about 70 percent marketshare (old article but still gets the point across Japan's phone rankings). Markets within Japan aren't solely dominated by Japanese companies. I think it is more of an excuse to say MS won't win Japan because Japan doesn't buy American products. They don't buy MS consoles because it doesn't appeal to them.

As a US veteran it means something to some of us. It is one reason I prefer to buy Xbox first. But I was told I am pathetic for that little bit of nationalism by someone here. Whether you believe it or not, an American company supporting the troops of its country is seen as relevant by quite a few of us in this country.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@ShepardCommandr said:

Not true really. When it comes to video games, Japan prefers its own company's but other American products sell there.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

I thought he got boned by a lady with strap-on then got fired for it. Japan are full of kinky perverted people you know. :)

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@SolidTy said:

"The Xbox One suffered the lowest Japanese launch for any home console in recent years - well below Wii U (308k in two days), the PlayStation 4 (322k in two days) and any other machine from the last few console generations.

776 Xbox One consoles were sold in Japan last week according to numbers company Media Create. In comparison, PS4 sold 12.4k and Wii U sold 9.6k."

---

"The top Xbox Japan job has now fallen to Yoshinami Takahasi, who joined the company back in July following more than 25 years at Sony."

Hmmm.

all those numbers are low though. but if it makes you feel better, go for it smh lol.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@StrifeDelivery in what way would PS4 in its current form appeal to them, though, since it's at least selling?

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@StrifeDelivery in what way would PS4 in its current form appeal to them, though, since it's at least selling?

Well, let's see. There is the brand power (PS has a much stronger brand over there than Xbox in general). Someone may have to correct me on this but the little research I dug up found the two at a similar price point, so price may not be much of a factor here. PS1-PS3 saw several, several games that weren't released out of Japan (some of that moved to handhelds, but there was still a decent amount for the PS3). There are some games out right now that haven't been localized out (some exclusive, some multiplat like with the Vita or PC).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The console litterally had nothing that involved the Japanese Audience.

At least WiiU had Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter at Launch.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I dont see any consoles selling well there. I think handheld gaming and PC gaming in internet cafes is what does well there.

Internet cafes do well in Japan?

Hmm, I guess they do. But the real stereotype coems from South Korea.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Notorious1234NA

@parkurtommo said:

@Heil68 said:

Internet cafes do well in Japan?

Hmm, I guess they do. But the real stereotype coems from South Korea.

PC gaming is almost nonexistent in Japan and the internet cafes are not rigged with high end PCs like in Korea or China. They do well for other reasons not because of gaming.

Internet cafe means something different in every part of the world.

In Japan, most internet cafes are synonymous with manga cafes. They are more of a hangout spot and the cafes are really hubs for otakus or sleepovers when people miss the last train. I mean rent there is only $5 a day no joke and people primarily go to an internet manga cafe to read all the free manga/ watch all the anime they want. Its not like a PC bang (korea) where the PCs are mid-high end and are set up like a LAN gaming center.

This is what an internet cafe means in Japan:

This is what internet cafe means in Korea:

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

RIP.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

Something about Sony being gen 8 leader with most powerful console in gaming history and a bunch of world class exclusives coming in the near future.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidTy

@tymeservesfate said:

@SolidTy said:

---

Hmmm.

all those numbers are low though. but if it makes you feel better, go for it smh lol.

It doesn't make me feel anything. I don't understand how you equate emotions to the article. Those were quotes in the article.

I posted a one word response.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Is MS blind? Japan doesn't want american products and one that is as fugly n bulky is probably laughed at than anything else.

They love the IPhone. lol!! Consoles are selling like shit in Japan anyways. Waste of time to even launch in that market. M$ should just focus more on China at this point. M$ phones would probably sell better in Japan then their XB1.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#43  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@SolidTy said:

---

Hmmm.

First Phil Harrison, and now Yoshinami Takahashi. It looks like Microsoft's logic to beat Sony is to buy some of their staff members.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

There is only one way for the Xbox to make it big in Japan, and I have the recipe for success.

They need to go back to that Milo idea they demoed before the Kinect launch on the Xbox 360, but instead of having a young boy to be friends with, they need titillating young virtual girls instead, call it the virtual girlfriend experience. One that will be there to greet you when you come home, like "How was your day at work. Oh, BTW, I went to the mall today, bought this skimpy little number, would you like me to change into into it for you." A feature that uses the power of the Cloud to text your cellphone and make actual phone calls to you and even text you images of themselves in their underwear while the users are work, call you to sensually flirt with you and ask you if you're coming home after work, one that says "oh, and there's a new episode of whatever show up for streaming, how about coming home and watching it with me".

Something tells me Japanese people would eat this shit up.

This tells me more about your own desire rather than what another country would want, lol.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@SolidTy said:

---

Hmmm.

It doesn't make me feel anything. I don't understand how you equate emotions to the article. Those were quotes in the article.

I posted a one word response.

ok bud

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidTy

@Jag85 said:
@SolidTy said:

---

Hmmm.

First Phil Harrison, and now Yoshinami Takahashi. It looks like Microsoft's logic to beat Sony is to buy some of their staff members.

Indeed. Solid Observation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Jag85 said:

That never works....

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Notorious1234NA

The only thing dominant in Japan are handhelds

Anyway, SONY's presence in Japan is actually smaller than you might think.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Ironically, Microsoft's performance wasn't always this dismal in Japan. Back in the 80's, the MSX was a very successful gaming platform in Japan. And it was Microsoft's MSX that gave birth to the Metal Gear franchise.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68

Does anyone think this is fallout from E3 where MS got knocked the **** out and embarrassed?