Worst GS review ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Monster Hunter. GS hates the series, but I dont blame them. MH is a love hate type of game.CBR600-RR

It's really good, but so hard. :P

The main thing I hate about their reviews of MH (i think it was gamespot who said this) was that it needed a lock-on system. A lock on system would RUIN MH...
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

In terms of reviews I think it's safer to underrate the game than overrate. Because at least you'll be pleasantly surprised if the game's been underrated. Which makes overrated much worse for games. (Unless the game's been underrated to such a degree that you decide not to play it) An example of over-rated-ness would be GTA4. To even finish that game I had to somewhat force myself and not even trophies can make me play it again. It's just not that fun. It's a very all-its-pieces-add-up-to-less-than-the-sum-of-its-parts game

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts

Speaking of Morrowind, would you guys recommend it to me? It's insane that I'm a PC gamer but have yet to play the title =/. I enjoyed Oblivion, but a few friends of mine keep claiming that Morrowind is so much better, aside from combat. What do you guys think?Lethalhazard

Morrowind is a much better rpg then oblivion so I'd definitely recommend it, but it hasn't aged very well. Luckily there's a mod that makes it look like oblivion.

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts

Oblivion

Just a quick glance at the review gives :-

"Oblivion is hands-down better "(that morrowind)

" There's a compelling main quest for you to follow"

" you could play it like a pure action game, or like a stealth game, or like an adventure game, and it'd still be at least as good as, if not better than, games that are specialized in these regards."

"the quality of the voice acting and the writing is generally excellent."

"Almost every character in every town is unique"

"the main quest in Oblivion features a solid good-versus-evil storyline "

"You can actually role-play in this game, something that the vast majority of role-playing games have stopped offering in recent years".

"From the quality of the story and character interaction to the pure thrill of the combat to all the pleasure to be found in the game's little details"

"Impressive artificial intelligence and hundreds of believable characters"

naval

I want to play the version he was playing, because my version was a glorified action adventure game with terrible v.o and bad a.i

This is what I think when I see impressive a.i for oblivion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#55 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Lost Winds 5.5 I think it was something like this

The Good

Beautiful Graphics

The Bad

Ugly Graphics

shutdown_202
I'm confused!
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]

Oblivion

" you could play it like a pure action game, or like a stealth game, or like an adventure game, and it'd still be at least as good as, if not better than, games that are specialized in these regards."

"You can actually role-play in this game, something that the vast majority of role-playing games have stopped offering in recent years".

"From the quality of the story and character interaction to the pure thrill of the combat to all the pleasure to be found in the game's little details"

Lemmywinks_360

I want to play the version he was playing, because my version was a glorified action adventure game with terrible v.o and bad a.i

Thank you kind sir :P

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#57 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

far cry 2

8.5 and it sucked:question:

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

Too many to chose from

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Oblivion

naval
Good lord almighty...you can practically hear the sound of cash-registers in the background reading that.
whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts

Oblivion

naval
i lol'd at every person in town is unique. There were like 4 total voices to the characters in the game. I still enjoyed it, but the review seems off.
Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

Even though I didn't even like the game much, i remember how stupid the review for sonic riders zero gravity, i rented it after the review to see if he review was as stupid as it looked and i was right >_>

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is alot better than the GS review makes it out to be.

Lord_Omikron666
ugh he asked for Mii support. In freakin Fire Emblem. WTF are they going to ask for avatar support in Forza 3?
amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 amoremono1
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

[QUOTE="Lemmywinks_360"]

[QUOTE="naval"]

Oblivion

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Thank you kind sir :P

Ill second that thanks and add that the version I got didnt even have the action part, just the glorified adventure smothered in the thickest hype Ive ever tried to swallow...

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Metroid Prime 3. they basically said the game sucked because it's controls were too good.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Metroid Prime 3. they basically said the game sucked because it's controls were too good. Silenthps
They also gave it a lower score for being too similar to the previous primes but at the same time they gave Halo 3 a 9.5 for being too similar to Halo 2.

I'm not saying either are bad games I'm just saying make up your mind if you criticise one game for being too similar you should atleast criticise the other game. (But both games did add some new things to the series.)

I can also see why they could hate on a game for being too similar to a series if the series was bad but Gamespot loved the other Prime games and they didn't have a problem back then but they have a problem now.

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

The Conduit. They gave it a merit for technically impressive graphics, then a demerit for busted graphics. WTF

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Nintendo_Ownes7

The Conduit. They gave it a merit for technically impressive graphics, then a demerit for busted graphics. WTF

jessmaster13

The merit was for technically Impressive graphics, the demerit was for the Artstyle being a horrible choice and I agree. The game is technically impressive on the Wii but the Art is horrible it is too shiny.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I def didnt like the Kirby64 review, I mean a 5??? that game is STILL my favorite Kirby game to date.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I don't agree with 70% of Gamespot reviews. Haha.

The one that grinds my gears the most is how Twilight Princess recieved a 8.8 on the Wii and 8.9 for the Gamecube. They didn't even say why it was better on the Gamecube, but it clearly was not.

awssk8er716

But they didn't say the GC version was better, they said the Wii version was better.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

The one that grinds my gears the most is how Twilight Princess recieved a 8.8 on the Wii and 8.9 for the Gamecube. They didn't even say why it was better on the Gamecube, but it clearly was not.

PannicAtack

But they didn't say the GC version was better, they said the Wii version was better.

The GCN version only got a better score because It was technically impressive for the GCN while the Wii is more powerful then the GCN so the Wii is capbable of more then the GCN.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

What about Anubis 2 for the Wii? Didn't that game get a 1.5 or something? That's a lot worse than anything I've read here.

Although if by "worst" one means "most off," well...I haven't played Anubis 2.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

What about Anubis 2 for the Wii? Didn't that game get a 1.5 or something? That's a lot worse than anything I've read here.

Although if by "worst" one means "most off," well...I haven't played Anubis 2.

Mogotoo

The game probably deserves it. Wasn't it made by the same people as "Ninjabread Man?" I think the game was probably as bad as they said it was.

But for lowest score ever?

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

GS has done so many horrible reviews it's tough to pick.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The only one I can think of is Outbreak File 2, which was significantly better than file 1, yet scored lower because of "archaic" gameplay. No, not every Resident Evil game needs to be a shooter after 4. :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

jg4xchamp

ugh he asked for Mii support. In freakin Fire Emblem. WTF are they going to ask for avatar support in Forza 3?

The reviewer wasn't critizing the lack of Mii support directly; Lark stated that the game basically didn't try to become a Wii game,and he simply listed out a couple of Wii features.And besides,the fact that it didn't incorporate a Wii feature as small as Mii support,let alone anything major like IR or online,shows how stuck in the past the game is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]Metroid Prime 3. they basically said the game sucked because it's controls were too good. Nintendo_Ownes7

They also gave it a lower score for being too similar to the previous primes but at the same time they gave Halo 3 a 9.5 for being too similar to Halo 2.

I'm not saying either are bad games I'm just saying make up your mind if you criticise one game for being too similar you should atleast criticise the other game. (But both games did add some new things to the series.)

I can also see why they could hate on a game for being too similar to a series if the series was bad but Gamespot loved the other Prime games and they didn't have a problem back then but they have a problem now.

2 different reviews, and he didn't just straight up say its awesome because it plays like Halo 2. He just said its familiar. and the thing with Metroid Prime 3 was he contradicted himself if anything. He says things like at times it doesn't feel like the other metroids, and then complain that its too much like the other ones. Those lines never made sense to me.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Most recently, Halo Wars. The US team didn't even review it. :|
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

VGobbsesser

The reviewer wasn't critizing the lack of Mii support directly; Lark stated that the game basically didn't try to become a Wii game,and he simply listed out a couple of Wii features.And besides,the fact that it didn't incorporate a Wii feature as small as Mii support,let alone anything major like IR or online,shows how stuck in the past the game is.

Oh I agree, the game was disappointing. IT was literally PoR just more characters, longer, and harder. I just didn't like that freakin Mii Support line :P
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jg4xchamp
Most recently, Halo Wars. The US team didn't even review it. :|II-FBIsniper-II
what does that have to do with anything? Didn't some british dude review GTA 4?
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

MGS4. I dunno what the reviewer was smoking but I've never seen a review so far off. 5.0 max.

CreepyBacon

Like we didn't expect that from a Halo/Gears lover.

I'd probably say Halo 3. Seriously, 9.5? It's more like a 5/10 game.

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 II-FBIsniper-II
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Most recently, Halo Wars. The US team didn't even review it. :|jg4xchamp

Isn't it like IGN where both teams do a review? The person that reviewed GTA IV was part of the US team and on the HW review it says "UK Review" at the beginning. I'm not saying that being reviewed by the UK team is the only thing wrong with the review.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I've never read a good review on this site.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Most recently, Halo Wars. The US team didn't even review it. :|II-FBIsniper-II

Isn't it like IGN where both teams do a review? The person that reviewed GTA IV was part of the US team and on the HW review it says "UK Review" at the beginning.

NO, I don't think its like IGN. The review is just done by one person, and it sets up for the entire site. Atleast Thats how i always thought it was.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

The GCN version only got a better score because It was technically impressive for the GCN while the Wii is more powerful then the GCN so the Wii is capbable of more then the GCN.

From what I remember Twilight Princess was reviewed with the old method, and the Wii got a lower score because of something related to the wiimote speaker, so the sound category was lower. The reviewer made a mistake of not adding a bonus to the tilt category to level the score.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#86 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Lord_Omikron666
Sure, it's better, but not really that much. It's the exact same game as GBA Fire Emblems.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#87 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

awssk8er716

Probably because the GC version didn't tacked-on controls.

I look at the reviews and that the reason why. I agree with Jeff on that part.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#88 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Uncharted and dmc 4 got a 8.0...really?..blah i don't even care for gs reviews anymore

LeGoofyGoober

both games deserved that score. Uncharted was short as hell and had little replay value. and DMC4 was a step down from DMC3

I didn't even enjoy DMC4 enough to give it an eight.
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 II-FBIsniper-II
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] what does that have to do with anything? Didn't some british dude review GTA 4?

Isn't it like IGN where both teams do a review? The person that reviewed GTA IV was part of the US team and on the HW review it says "UK Review" at the beginning.

NO, I don't think its like IGN. The review is just done by one person, and it sets up for the entire site. Atleast Thats how i always thought it was.

Why does it specify "UK Review"? I'm confused. :?
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Lost Winds 5.5 I think it was something like this

The Good

Beautiful Graphics

The Bad

Ugly Graphics

shutdown_202

LOL

No you are far from the truth

The Good

Some gorgeous environments.

The Bad

Too many ugly environment.

Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#91 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

omg...condemned 2 easily lmfao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqZouFC-uE

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]Metroid Prime 3. they basically said the game sucked because it's controls were too good. Nintendo_Ownes7

yep, and to make it even more hypocritical, they gave it a lower score for not being enough like the previous games!
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

One of the first reviews I read for this site still stands out as the worst in my mind:

the original Gran Turismo, reviewed by Jeff G, got a 6.7! It was so bad it actually got re-reviewed, and Jeff's was taken down!

I don't remember a whole lot of the specifics of the review, and if anyone can find it then go ahead and post it, but I do remember how big of a Ridge Racer fanboy Jeff came off as in that review, since the whole basis of the low score came from his comparing GT to RR (which is completely ridiculous)

fourseamer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 fourseamer4
Member since 2009 • 467 Posts

K&L Dead men review. It might get you fired.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

The worst review ever must be for Mr Bones. The review text is written for a game that is perfect, not a single complaint, yet the score is 6.3.. I don't say the score is wrong but it clearly doesn't match the text. That kind of paradoxes should make the world go up in flames..

http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/action/mrbones/review.html?tag=result;score;0

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#96 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

The worst review ever must be for Mr Bones. The review text is written for a game that is perfect, not a single complaint, yet the score is 6.3.. I don't say the score is wrong but it clearly doesn't match the text. That kind of paradoxes should make the world go up in flames..

http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/action/mrbones/review.html?tag=result;score;0

omgimba

What confuses me more is this line: Combining imaginative gameplay mechanics with cool graphics and killer music, Mr. Bones will not disappoint.

Yet it's below A, which should disappoint though.

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Diddy Kong Racing on N64 got some ridiculous low score 6.6, I enjoyed it and thought it deserved better than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Team Fortress 2, http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/teamfortress2boa/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review.

Read this little bit,
The Bad

* Heavy reliance on other players can make or break the experience"

It's a game about TEAMwork..

lucarocks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#100 lucarocks1
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

K&L Dead men review. It might get you fired.

fourseamer4
Ooh you went there!