With all this Fallout 3 DLC, has Bethesda forgot what people really want?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] You know this how?blue_hazy_basic

My own feelings, feelings of friends, petitions that circulated the internet during its development, vicious threads here on System Wars, the comparative reception of the announcement of Fallout New Vegas from Obsidian.

I know it's hard to quantify how many people felt this way, but it was a common reaction to Fallout 3 from fans of the series.

Edit: Subrosian did an excellent thread about it about a year ago, which summarises the problems people had with it well.

Wasn't that prior to release? I think sub, much like me, admitted afterwards it was a good game as long as you didn't get caught up in wanting it to be like the other fallouts. I could be wrong.

No, you are correct.

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 mand_450
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts

I am also waiting for the day that TES V will be announced. However, the series really needs to improve itself from Oblivion. Reasons being as following.

-Level scaling must die!

-Instead of removing skills from each game, Bethesda should add new ones instead. From Daggerfall to Morrowind, all those language skills were lost, andfrom Morrowind to Oblivion, spears, enchant, throwing weapons and others were lost.

-The world must be more interesting than Oblivion's. Oblivion had one of the most generic fantasy worlds i've ever seen (exluding the shivering isles expansion pack).

-Let me fight whilst riding!

-More guilds than oblivion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="mand_450"]

I am also waiting for the day that TES V will be announced. However, the series really needs to improve itself from Oblivion. Reasons being as following.

-Level scaling must die!

-Instead of removing skills from each game, Bethesda should add new ones instead. From Daggerfall to Morrowind, all those language skills were lost, andfrom Morrowind to Oblivion, spears, enchant, throwing weapons and others were lost.

-The world must be more interesting than Oblivion's. Oblivion had one of the most generic fantasy worlds i've ever seen (exluding the shivering isles expansion pack).

Level scaling is good, it was great in morrowind, it was just diastarously implimented in Oblivion
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mand_450

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

-Level scaling must die!

blue_hazy_basic

Level scaling is good, it was great in morrowind, it was just diastarously implimented in Oblivion

But there was no level scaling in Mor... Oh :lol:

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

My own feelings, feelings of friends, petitions that circulated the internet during its development, vicious threads here on System Wars, the comparative reception of the announcement of Fallout New Vegas from Obsidian.

I know it's hard to quantify how many people felt this way, but it was a common reaction to Fallout 3 from fans of the series.

Edit: Subrosian did an excellent thread about it about a year ago, which summarises the problems people had with it well.

heretrix

Wasn't that prior to release? I think sub, much like me, admitted afterwards it was a good game as long as you didn't get caught up in wanting it to be like the other fallouts. I could be wrong.

No, you are correct.

People weren't ever denying it wasn't going to be a good game, and it was a good game.

The complaint was it wasn't going to be a very faithful Fallout game, and it wasn't to the same extent as 1 and 2. It's a different issue really.

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mand_450

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Wasn't that prior to release? I think sub, much like me, admitted afterwards it was a good game as long as you didn't get caught up in wanting it to be like the other fallouts. I could be wrong.Danm_999

No, you are correct.

People weren't ever denying it wasn't going to be a good game, and it was a good game. The complaint was it wasn't going to be a very faithful Fallout game, and it wasn't to the same extent as 1 and 2.

My main issue with Fallout 3 aswell. It was basically just 'Oblivion with guns' plus more choices. And you couldn't kill children!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Danm_999

Wow, that really seem to be a definitive proof that "for to many fans of the series, it was a major reversion" (not really, it was sarcasm).

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] You know this how?IronBass

Wow, that really seem to be a definitive proof that "for too many fans of the series, it was a major reversion" (not really, it was sarcasm).

I said for "To many fans", not "too many fans". You're misquoting me. Notice the difference between "too" and "to". I know we can't quantify the numbers, but we know it was a common reaction. Just look at that thread link I posted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="Danm_999"] I said for "To many fans", not "too many fans". You're misquoting me. Notice the difference between "too" and "to".

Sorry, I misspelled it.
I know we can't quantify the numbers, but we know it was a common reaction. Danm_999
We don't "know" that. You are assuming it.
Just look at that thread link I posted.Danm_999
A thread that was made before the game was even released.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Danm_999

We don't "know" that. You are assuming it.Danm_999

Not really. I'm not assuming there was any particular number or percentage, I'm just noting there was an anti-Bethesda zeitgeist, the criticism of Fallout 3 as "Oblivion with guns" before Fallout 3's release.

And there was. Whether or not it was justified, whether or not it was the majority of people, is not important to my point. But it existed.

A thread that was made before the game was even released.Danm_999

So? People knew enough about many of the choices Bethesda was taking, had seen footage of it in action, had read their interviews to recognise different directions were being taken from the original.

Not to say it wasn't a good game, it was just different from other Fallout games. Obviously those emotionally invested in the franchise will have something to say about that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-63f6895020e66
So? Danm_999
No one in that thread even played the game. It can't "prove" that a lot of fans consider Fallout 3 "a major reversion" when no one had even played it.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]So? IronBass
No one in that thread even played the game. It can't "prove" that a lot of fans consider Fallout 3 "a major reversion" when no one had even played it.

Why not? There was information available on the game for fans to realize there would be differences from previous Fallout games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Why not?Danm_999
Because no one had played the game.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Why not?IronBass
Because no one had played the game.

You didn't have to play the game to know it was switching from isometric to first person.

You didn't have to play the game to know combat was being emphasised as the central mode of gameplay, whereas previously it was a single option amongst many.

You didn't have to play the game to know it would be utilising level scaling.

You didn't have to play the game to know it was taking out things like violence against children, the ability to create a character so stupid they couldn't speak, or so weak they couldn't fight.

All you had to do to find out many of these things, issues which vastly altered the course of Fallout, was watch and read previews or developer statements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]You didn't have to play the game to know it was switching from isometric to first person. You didn't have to play the game to know it would be utilising level scaling. You didn't have to play the game to know it was taking out things like violence against children, the ability to create a character so stupid they couldn't speak, or so weak they couldn't fight. All you had to do to find out many of these things, issues which vastly altered the course of Fallout, was watch and read previews or developer statements.

But you have to play the game in order to judge how good it is in comparison with other games, older Fallouts included.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Danm_999
[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]You didn't have to play the game to know it was switching from isometric to first person. You didn't have to play the game to know it would be utilising level scaling. You didn't have to play the game to know it was taking out things like violence against children, the ability to create a character so stupid they couldn't speak, or so weak they couldn't fight. All you had to do to find out many of these things, issues which vastly altered the course of Fallout, was watch and read previews or developer statements.

But you have to play the game in order to judge how good it is in comparison with other games, older Fallouts included.

It's not an issue of the game's quality, it's the games fidelity to the original titles. It was obviously Fallout 3 wasn't going to be very faithful to the original two games quite early on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-63f6895020e66
It's not an issue of the game's quality, it's the games fidelity to the original titles.Danm_999
"Major reversion" sounds a lot like an issue of quality.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]It's not an issue of the game's quality, it's the games fidelity to the original titles.IronBass
"Major reversion" sounds a lot like an issue of quality.

To play the semantics game, reversion means a change in direction (specifically, the opposite direction). This is true of Fallout 3, it went in a different direction; an combat centric RPG with a first person view. If I wanted to convey a quality issue, I'd probably have said something like "major dissapointment" or "major failure".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-63f6895020e66
To play the semantics game, reversion means a change in direction (specifically, the opposite direction). This is true of Fallout 3, it went in a different direction; an combat centric RPG with a first person view.Danm_999
I get it now. By "major reversion" I understood "from good to bad". Nonetheless that thread still proves nothing.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]To play the semantics game, reversion means a change in direction (specifically, the opposite direction). This is true of Fallout 3, it went in a different direction; an combat centric RPG with a first person view.IronBass
I get it now. By "major reversion" I understood "from good to bad". Nonetheless that thread still proves nothing.

Except that there were people of the opinion Fallout 3 was going in a different direction, and that they didn't like it. Which is all I ever tried to prove.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Except that there were people of the opinion Fallout 3 was going in a different direction, and that they didn't like it. Which is all I ever tried to prove.

Before the game was released, yeah, they thought that. But I thought you were trying to prove that was what they think , not what they thought. But if misunderstood something from your intentions I apology.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Danm_999

Man, look at how angry I was back then. Things sure do change.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Danm_999
[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Except that there were people of the opinion Fallout 3 was going in a different direction, and that they didn't like it. Which is all I ever tried to prove.

Before the game was released, yeah, they thought that. But I thought you were trying to prove that was what they think , not what they thought. But if misunderstood something from your intentions I apology.

Why would their opinions change? Fallout 3 was pretty much what was expected: A good game, but a definite break from the earlier games. It was still the game Bethesda had marketed in development. I liked it, but I was always sad it lacked some of the features of the first few Fallout games.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

I have yet to play Fallout 3, but I somewhat enjoyed Oblivion. My only real gripe was there were so many instances that broke immersion.

Still a fun game though. In fact, I stumbled across this hilarious forum post the other day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Why would their opinions change? Danm_999
Because that's the human nature. We tend to change of mind a lot. Especially after we experience things that we hadn't before. Humans are such fascinating creatures.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Why would their opinions change? IronBass
Because that's the human nature. We tend to change of mind a lot. Especially after we experience things that we hadn't before. Humans are such fascinating creatures.

Right well, I don't think that's going to run too far as evidence, but since we're both trying to quantify abstracts here, we might as well call it a night.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Everyone keeps talking about how depressing Fallout 3 was. Am I the only one who thought the game was a comedy? You shoot people with a pistol and their head will explode or their leg will go flying off. You walk into that bar in Megaton and some guy with a 1920 gangster voice is like, "I've got a client who really wants to see things heat up in this town if you catch my drift. You can get some major caps in the fallout." That was like the silliest **** i've heard in a game in a long time. And the dialog only got goofier, cheesier and sillier from there. The super mutants all sound like a Pee Wee Herman character.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

F3 turned out to be Oblivion with guns and a bit of added depth.

rpg wise it does'nt hold a candle to the old ones (someone already mentioned how your char with low int would be too stupid to talk properly).

It's still a good game but it definitely took an rpg franchise and made it more casual.

And yeah, I would've much preferred that the first three DLC had been one big and more thorough expansion.

Serving bite sized "expansions" is more profitable obviously.... And sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I want them to take there time, so its not like Oblivion. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Yeah seriously, ummodded I can't even consider Oblivion a rpg.. It lacks in every department.. Character development outside appearance is nonexistent.. You can master everything regardless of what "class" you pick at the word go with out consquences.. Infact the game on how its designed wants you to do this, if you logically went after the skills you mained you may level too fast reducing yoru modifier and unintentionally gimp your self.. Story>? There is none really its stereotypical garbage with poor voice acting after the first 10 minutes.. Consquences? Nope you can be head of the evil assassins guild, head of the theieves guild, and be the upholder of law in the fighters guild all in one go.. Everything is leveled to you even further meaning you can beat the game at level 1.. furthermore the combat is incrediably simplistic requiring very little in actual strategy.. I wanted to like Oblivion but it is too dumbed down on every front for me to enjoy it after 10 hours of playing it.
Furzjodler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Furzjodler
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

I think only a small part of the team works on the Fallout 3 DLC and the majority probably works on ESV, its not like you can only have people working on one project at the time.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#81 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I want more of my Fallout 3. Anyway, it doesn't take too large a team to make a few side-quests, and Bethesda has iD now, so they have a pretty big team left to work on it.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts

I think some people in this thread are forgetting about Fallout: New Vegas.It's not been made by Bethesda so there is a very good chance that they are working on TES 5.

MJPK
I totally forgot about that. I sure hope there going full steam on ESV.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
I want more of my Fallout 3. Anyway, it doesn't take too large a team to make a few side-quests, and Bethesda has iD now, so they have a pretty big team left to work on it.enterawesome
True and to be honest i'm sure they started work on ESV within a month after Oblivion released. Which was March 06, so hopefully 2010 we will see something. Maybe at least a teaser by the end of the year :) (Pray its still got that medevil thing to it, just deeper than oblivion.)