Witcher 3 is 30FPS on consoles

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

30 fps was a given, I wonder about resolution though. PS4 should run it at 1080p with nearly max settings, aside from AA. most importantly, there better be no screen tear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#52 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

i stopped playing the Witcher 2 because I couldn't stand 40 frames per second. So..consoles...good luck with that.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#53 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

As long as the frame rate is a solid 30 then I don't see what the problem is. Then again there are a ton of gamers out there these days that care more about resolution and frame rates then they do about the actual gameplay.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Targeting 60 woulda been entirely pointless for a console RPG.

Here is to hoping they design the combat around a controller, so its actually fun to play.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

30FPS is fine... as long as it looks amazing!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

Locked at 30 is fine for a RPG it's if it falls under 30 problems start.

it always go below though. =/

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

Why does everyone expect every kind of game to need to perform like a twitch-kill FPS? Oh yeah, Call of Duty crowd.

Why do console peasants always imply or think that frame rate is only relevant to camera panning or that camera panning in anything other than an FPS is not important? Oh yeah, because they're naive, technically uneducated gullible console gamers.

That and damage control. Example - '30 FPS is fine'. Boast about 60 FPS (which isn't even 60 FPS, example - Killzone and BF4) when it's relevant to giving your favourite console a favourable pro.

Avatar image for Sharp-Shooter89
Sharp-Shooter89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sharp-Shooter89
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Heil68 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@muffin2020 said:

@clyde46 said:

Hopefully it will run at 60FPS on PC.

It will run at 60FPS if you have the hardware. I'm guessing it's going to need a beast though.

My i7-4770K and 780Ti is readyz (yeah I'm gloating so what? :P)

pffft, you should of got the i7-4960X

and waste a tonne of money for **** almost no difference? Nahhh

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770K

yet you wasted 100 dollars on an i7 when you could of had the same performance from an i5, atleast for gaming if thats all you do

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BeardMaster

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

Why does everyone expect every kind of game to need to perform like a twitch-kill FPS? Oh yeah, Call of Duty crowd.

Why do console peasants always imply or think that frame rate is only relevant to camera panning or that camera panning in anything other than an FPS is not important? Oh yeah, because they're naive, technically uneducated gullible console gamers.

Probably because its true.

If you think targeting 60fps in an RPG using a controller is an efficient use of system resources, i would refrain from insulting anyone.

Afterall the witcher devs are highly talented PC developers that make some of the best looking games on any platform.. and they seem to agree. If you think they are naive and technically uneducated, you better have some serious game development pedigree to back up those statements else look like an arse.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

If you think targeting 60fps in an RPG using a controller is an efficient use of system resources, i would refrain from insulting anyone.

Afterall the witcher devs are highly talented PC developers that make some of the best looking games on any platform.. and they seem to agree. If you think they are naive and technically uneducated, you better have some serious game development pedigree to back up those statements else look like an arse.

You just proved my point. Example - "using a controller".

Gives me less work to do.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

For a game of this type 30 FPS is the right choice, at least on consoles. PC games should never be locked to a specific frame rate.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I don't care, as long as I can play it on my Next-Gen consoles, I'm happy.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@farrell2k said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@farrell2k said:

My God these new console suck. Even $400 PC hardware is outperforming them already. I'd be fucking pissed if I were a PS4 or most especially an XB1 owner...

Why? Targeting 30 FPS doesn't imply any limitations on the consoles behalf - it's merely the target they're aiming for so they can squeeze out the best graphics. $400 PC hardware doesn't come close to matching PS4's graphical capabilities.

Targeting 30fps absolutely does demonstrate the limits of console hardware. It's game, not a movie! You are ignorant of the status of current PC hardware. There are about 8 thread in the pc and mac discussion forums, and even one in system wars demonstrating a $400 pc that outperforms the PS4.

Sorry, I think you're the ignorant one. There isn't a single thread posting any substantial proof that the PS4 is weaker than a $400 PC - go ahead, try to link me one. The Trine 2 comparison thread isn't substantial - his $400 PC only runs the game at High Settings, no AA, and at 50 FPS avg (dips to 40). PS4 version runs at max settings, has FXAA, and 60 FPS (never dips beneath 60). The developers even said Trine 2 could run at 30 FPS, Max Settings, at 4k resolution.

RPGs don't necessarily benefit dramatically from having more than locked 30-FPS, that's why 30FPS was chosen. Why would a hermit need to lie so hard? Insecure about something?

Yeah, I am insecure about the PS4 being a mid rage 2012 PC even though $400 pc hardware outperforms it. An R9 270, an X4 70k, 8 gb ram, a motherboard, and a 500W psu will cost you about $400 with a drive, mouse, kb, and even speakers, shipped. This hardware will outperform the PS4 each and every single time. Of course you will now say what about the Windows OS!!!11one? To which I reply, the OS is not the hardware, but even games playable on any free os will outperform their console counterparts with this hardware. The fact is that a $400 system can and does outperform the PS4. Sorry, console fanboys, but reality is real whether you believe it or not!

It will? I see right here that it costs a lot more than $400. Closer to $800. Nice troll attempt though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

eh as long as I get to play it and it doesint chuged badly im fine.I wanted to play witcher 2 but lacked a 360.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Witcher 3 is 30FPS on consoles

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Dat next gen cinematic feel.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Heil68 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@muffin2020 said:

@clyde46 said:

It will run at 60FPS if you have the hardware. I'm guessing it's going to need a beast though.

Why bother with the 4960X when the 4930K will do everything and for £400 less....

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BeardMaster

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

Well that should be obviously, quick snaps of the camera are alot less common on controllers, and you can add acceleration to make it much less jarring at 30fps.

60fps would be the biggest waste of system resources imaginable.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clyde46

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

Well that should be obviously, quick snaps of the camera are alot less common on controllers, and you can add acceleration to make it much less jarring at 30fps.

lol wut?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@shawn30 said:

I didn't enjoy the Witcher 2 and outsiude of graphics not aure if I want part 3. Will wait for reviews. Back on topic, 30 frames if rock solid is fine.

what would reviews do when witcher 2 reviewed great?

30 fps shudnt matter much

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Wow, the minute PS4 and Xbone can't do more than 30 FPS on a game, consolites are all "I don't need it, RPGs are good at 30 FPS". Wowzers

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74 Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

Meh I'll just get it on PC. Witcher 3 is a game that needs to be respected, if the option is available it should be played on PC.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

That console optimization. Targeting 30fps because your console would either melt or the game will look Mario 64 if they went for 60.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

next gen consoles = fail

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BeardMaster

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

Whats seems to be the confusion? RPGs are one of the least fps sensitive genres around as they are relatively slow paced and get little benefit from the reduced input lag.

devoting system resources to achieving 60fps in lieu of on screen asset quality, makes very little sense.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It will also be 720p on the x1 and 900 or 1080p on the PS4

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

It's the same game across all platforms regardless. Chances are the rig needed to play TW3 at the PS4 visuals and at 30FPS on PC is going to be pretty steep. I'm very happy to play the Console version, just as I was with Witcher 2.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

Whats seems to be the confusion? RPGs are one of the least fps sensitive genres around as they are relatively slow paced and get little benefit from the reduced input lag.

devoting system resources to achieving 60fps in lieu of on screen asset quality, makes very little sense.

You do realize that the Witcher series are action RPGs that all occur in real time and require dodging and such, right? They're not turn-based. So yes, the games do benefit greatly from 60fps, just like all games. It's complete myth that some games "don't need it;" every single genre (except maybe turn based strategy) is better at 60fps than at 30fps. The whole "only racing, fighting, and competitive FPS games should be at 60fps" mentality just comes from the fact that those are usually the only genres within the console realm that ever even bother aiming for 60fps.

Every game is better at 60fps. EVERY GAME.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I have one important question! Lems, ARE YOU READY FOR 30fps/720p announcement? Booyah

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

k want that redhead sex scenes at 60PFSu!!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

TRISHç

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 BeardMaster

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

You do realize that the Witcher series are action RPGs that all occur in real time and require dodging and such, right? They're not turn-based. So yes, the games do benefit greatly from 60fps, just like all games. It's complete myth that some games "don't need it;" every single genre (except maybe turn based strategy) is better at 60fps than at 30fps. The whole "only racing, fighting, and competitive FPS games should be at 60fps" mentality just comes from the fact that those are usually the only genres within the console realm that ever even bother aiming for 60fps.

And why do those games target it when others dont? Because those are the genres that benefit the most from it. Thats where the mentality comes from, professional game designers weighing the cost of 60fps and deeming it unnecessary.

Every game is not better at 60fps, because running at 60fps in real world scenarios demands tradeoffs.

The every game is better 60fps mentality only works in a world where every user has zero hardware limitations, a world that doesnt exist. Otherwise you might as well just conclude every game is better at 6000fps.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

And why do those games target it when others dont? Because those are the genres that benefit the most from it. Thats where the mentality comes from, professional game designers weighing the cost of 60fps and deeming it unnecessary.

Every game is not better at 60fps, because running at 60fps in real world scenarios demands tradeoffs.

The every game is better 60fps mentality only works in a world where every user has zero hardware limitations, a world that doesnt exist. Otherwise you might as well just conclude every game is better at 6000fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that exactly what the PC platform is. The creator of Star Citizen seems to agree with me. The only limits on PC is your wallet.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 clyde46

@BeardMaster said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

60FPS is not "unnecessary". The reason devs have to decide is because of the consoles limited hardware.... And yes, every game running at 60FPS is better.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Heil68 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@muffin2020 said:

@clyde46 said:

yet you wasted 100 dollars on an i7 when you could of had the same performance from an i5, atleast for gaming if thats all you do

Rendering videos son

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 clyde46

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Heil68 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@muffin2020 said:

@clyde46 said:

Rendering videos son

I still say a 3930K would of been better. Runs cooler than Hotwell, has more cores and would encode faster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Rendering videos son

I still say a 3930K would of been better. Runs cooler than Hotwell, has more cores and would encode faster.

Not really, the price to performance ratio isn't justifiable. Below the 3930K only wins in one category (the overall block not the benchmarks), I mean sure performance is king and it does indeed outperform but not enough for the price difference

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 clyde46

@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Rendering videos son

Not really, the price to performance ratio isn't justifiable. Below the 3930K only wins in one category (the overall block not the benchmarks), I mean sure performance is king and it does indeed outperform but not enough for the price difference

Still very disappointed with Haswell performance thermal wise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Eh, stick a hyper 212 Evo on it and it's more manageable. I don't like seeing a CPU reach the 70s but they are rated pretty high

My i5 never reaches 60 though

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 clyde46
@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Eh, stick a hyper 212 Evo on it and it's more manageable. I don't like seeing a CPU reach the 70s but they are rated pretty high

My i5 never reaches 60 though

I mean, compared to Sandy, both Ivy and Haswell have been extremely hot. Intel cheaped out with them. That and the high degradation on Haswells compared to Ivy and Sandy.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 BeardMaster

@NFJSupreme said:

@BeardMaster said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that exactly what the PC platform is. The creator of Star Citizen seems to agree with me. The only limits on PC is your wallet.

No. Even with one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, pixar is hardware limited and cannot render their movies in real time despite only being 24fps.

Every game dev out there is governed by hardware limitations, and are perfectly capable of creating a game that would bring even the most powerful PC to a screeching halt... but in the interest of actually selling games, they make graphical compromises in favor of playable framerates.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By BeardMaster

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

60FPS is not "unnecessary". The reason devs have to decide is because of the consoles limited hardware.... And yes, every game running at 60FPS is better.

The simple fact that devs target 30fps shows it isnt necessary. It might be preferable, but not necessary.

But devs have to make decisions based on PC limited hardware as well. How many PC games you playing with realtime ray tracing? Realistic fur and hair modeling/physics? The reason those things dont happen is because the framerate would be unplayable on any consumer grade PC. There are always tradeoffs.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By clyde46

@BeardMaster said:

@NFJSupreme said:

@BeardMaster said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@clyde46 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:

@BeardMaster said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

lol wut?

No. Even with one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, pixar is hardware limited and cannot render their movies in real time despite only being 24fps.

Every game dev out there is governed by hardware limitations, and are perfectly capable of creating a game that would bring even the most powerful PC to a screeching halt... but in the interest of actually selling games, they make graphical compromises in favor of playable framerates.

What a stupid association. Have you seen the frame sizes for a Pixar movie? They also have a thing called "graphics options".

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

That and damage control. Example - '30 FPS is fine'. Boast about 60 FPS (which isn't even 60 FPS, example - Killzone and BF4) when it's relevant to giving your favourite console a favourable pro.

ROFFL! I game primarily on PC, idiot. The statement still rings absolutely true.

Let me put it another way. Let's say you haven't upgraded your graphics card in a little while and are playing a game like CoD on PC. Would you:

A. Turn down your settings a bit to achieve 60FPS

or..

B. Keep settings ramped up so you can die a lot in pretty graphics land?

A is the obvious choice. However, if you turn the eye candy down to get a high framerate in Skyrim, then you deserve to have your graphics card ripped out of your rig and fed to you.

So leave the PC elitism fuckery out of this. You sound like a monumental douchetard.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@-Unreal- said:
@Shewgenja said:

ROFFL! I game primarily on PC, idiot. The statement still rings absolutely true.

Let me put it another way. Let's say you haven't upgraded your graphics card in a little while and are playing a game like CoD on PC. Would you:

A. Turn down your settings a bit to achieve 60FPS

or..

B. Keep settings ramped up so you can die a lot in pretty graphics land?

A is the obvious choice. However, if you turn the eye candy down to get a high framerate in Skyrim, then you deserve to have your graphics card ripped out of your rig and fed to you.

So leave the PC elitism fuckery out of this. You sound like a monumental douchetard.

I would turn down the eye candy in Skyrim in a second to get 60fps. I can't stand first person games that don't run consistently at 60fps (occasional dips aside).

Again, the Witcher 3 is an action RPG, and thus benefits CONSIDERABLY by being at a higher framerate just like all the other Witcher games. Are they unplayable at 30fps? No, but they certainly are a lot better. Same with stuff like Dark Souls or Kingdoms of Amalur.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Not even worth gloating over. Single card systems are for peasants.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Next gen indeed lol.