Wind Waker fan render vs WiiU remake vs Dolphin [pix]

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Here they are:

KjEeD.jpg

ww04.jpeg

WiiU_ZeldaWindWaker_Scrn01.jpg

wind_waker_reborn_link.jpg

775ffc045175eecf0b530afbd4f8dcd01149e1c1

pccelebration57ib6w.jpg

I find the render graphics interesting as it seems like a "realistic cartoon" but there may be those who prefer the original WW aesthetics. (i.e. non-transparent water, single-color textures, origami-style vegetation, ect.)

The WiiU remake seems to have more vibrant colors, sharper lighting and added bloom, which will appeal to some but not to others.

And the Dolphin version looks the sharpest and most "clear" but it's quite clear that the game was initially not intended to be run in such high resolutions.

So which looks the best?

edit: each version has two pics in order.

#2 Posted by Ghost120x (3909 posts) -
I like the wii u one.
#3 Posted by Weird_Jerk (594 posts) -
The top two pics aren't actually from either the Gamecube or Wii U version. They are rendered in some other engine (either Cryengine or Unreal, can't remember which) using both the Gamecube's assets and assets from the engine, such as the water. Neither the Gamecube nor Wii U versions have water, plants, or shading like in the first two pics. :)
#4 Posted by Blabadon (26588 posts) -
I like the top two the best.
#5 Posted by bobbetybob (19290 posts) -
WiiU version is the best, just need to tone the bloom down a bit.
#6 Posted by freedomfreak (40914 posts) -
I like the top two the best.Blabadon
LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO THE WATER!! It looks like...just water now.
#7 Posted by TheSacredFlame (324 posts) -

Look at the water!:o

#8 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

The realistic and cell shaded looks are clashing in a really bad way in the fan renders. I prefer the Wii-U version because it is more pleasing, even if the graphics aren't as sharp.

#9 Posted by Ben-Buja (3024 posts) -

It's nice that the Wii U remake has real time lighting and shadows, but the bloom is overdone. Hope they tone it down.

The first one definitely looks interesting with that realistic but cartoony style.

#10 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I like the first 2 images better, except for the grass on top of the hill. That looks bad.

But the Wii U remake seems to have a more charming art style.

#11 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -
WiiU pics look the best.
#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16630 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I like the top two the best.freedomfreak

Agreed. Who wants water when we can have blue stuff ?

#13 Posted by Minishdriveby (10015 posts) -
The first one looks really ugly.
#14 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -
The fan rendering... what. You got water that looks like it's out of a fancy FPS engine, and then you have those flat trees that look like they're from freaking Hype: The Time Quest.
#15 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

The top two look incredible.

#16 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Definitely the Wii U. It looks gorgeous.

#17 Posted by Articuno76 (18859 posts) -

WiiU version is the best, just need to tone the bloom down a bit.bobbetybob
Yeah. I'm cool with that kind of effect being used for a second when moving between a dark shadowy place and a bright place, but seeing it all the time would just be plain silly. In fact it would genuinely make looking at the game (and playing it) harder.

I really do like the 'claymation'-type look in the fan render. Would love to see a game in that style.

#18 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I like the original Gamecube render the best.

The new Wii U HD version looks dumb. The lighting is obnoxious and I hate the way the characters are rendered. It looks cheesy. It doesn't look like traditional cell-shading. It's more obvious that they're 3D.

#19 Posted by KungfuKitten (21131 posts) -

Ugh that 'realistic' water doesn't suit the styIe at ALL.

#20 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
Those first two look like some sort of set piece from a clay animation.
#21 Posted by IPWNDU2 (2535 posts) -

First two are terrible. Look like cardboard cut outs. Wii U version holds true to the animation style.

#22 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
I don't like the WIi U one. It would look good except that they ruined the toon shading on the character models.
#23 Posted by spike6958 (4828 posts) -
They all look great for different reasons, but I think the WiiU version is the best. Can't wait to get this game, it's a day one buy for me.
#24 Posted by delta3074 (18412 posts) -
i like the top 2 best, i think the Water efects actually work really well with the Cel shading.
#25 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -
I don't like the WiiU version, from what I've seen. They've gone crazy with bloom and lighting, looks way too much imo. I love GC one for being so clean and simple yet so gorgeous. Fan made one looks kinda cool but a bit "uncanny valley" for me.
#26 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9051 posts) -

The dolphin version looks the best to me. the other two versions lose the styIe that made the original so beautiful

#27 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11916 posts) -

I don't like the realistic water with the cell-shaded graphics in the fan one.

The Wii-U won looks really good in my opinion.

#28 Posted by 3Guilty_4Spark3 (132 posts) -

The dolphin WW looks the best.

#29 Posted by glez13 (8875 posts) -

Each one has something I don't like. So all are awful.

#30 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

The Nintendo screenshots simply look better, even if they need to turn down the bloom a bit. The top two have water that looks like ordinary water, that's not the art style Nintendo chose for Wind Waker. It looks so out of place.

#31 Posted by MBirdy88 (8318 posts) -
Oh I see, the Wii U is another remake console like the 3DS.
#32 Posted by bobbetybob (19290 posts) -
Oh I see, the Wii U is another remake console like the 3DS.MBirdy88
I guess that makes the 360 and PS3 HD re-release consoles then.
#33 Posted by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -
the fan one is the best example of "why wind waker shouldn't have normal water"
#34 Posted by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

The top two look incredible.

seanmcloughlin
you disappoint me sean :P
#35 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Oh I see, the Wii U is another remake console like the 3DS.bobbetybob

They have actual sequels released before the HD collections come out tho. Well, usually. Looking at you, Team Ico!
#36 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
The first two looks like they belong on a Gilligan's Island sound stage.
#37 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Oh I see, the Wii U is another remake console like the 3DS.locopatho

They have actual sequels released before the HD collections come out tho.!

so nintendo should just up and rush out the next zelda? No, they're giving us this remake to hold us over

#38 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14444 posts) -

the player models on the remake look awesome.

#39 Posted by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Oh I see, the Wii U is another remake console like the 3DS.locopatho

They have actual sequels released before the HD collections come out tho. Well, usually. Looking at you, Team Ico!

team ico collection is the best, and most important of the HD collections.
#40 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="bobbetybob"] I guess that makes the 360 and PS3 HD re-release consoles then.Shinobishyguy

They have actual sequels released before the HD collections come out tho.!

so nintendo should just up and rush out the next zelda? No, they're giving us this remake to hold us over

I'm just very meh on the whole concept of remakes. They are nice in addition to sequels or new IPs but eh. I don't get too excited for them.
#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26886 posts) -

360 doesn't have a Metal Gear (not counting the spinoff Rising), and yet HD versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and MGS3: Snake Eater were released there.

Nor did it have a Devil May Cry when it also got the HD Collection of it's own.

#42 Posted by Slashkice (13232 posts) -

The fanmade one is a mish-mash of styles that don't blend well together. The Wii U one comes across like Nintendo is saying, "WE HD NOW". The HD GC version looks the best.

#43 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14444 posts) -

with this and the next xenoblade. It really seems like WiiU is going for a core gamer focus with the WiiU, which I can really appreciate.

#44 Posted by tocool340 (20544 posts) -
I like the Wii-U version better. The first one looks like a cardboard cutout and the second one water looks out of place for the style of graphics its actually using....
#45 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="bobbetybob"] I guess that makes the 360 and PS3 HD re-release consoles then.nintendoboy16

360 doesn't have a Metal Gear (not counting the spinoff Rising), and yet HD versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and MGS3: Snake Eater were released there.

DMC4? And the MGS one, did anyone ever mention that or know about it? Rising and Zeroes are getting hype cos they're new.
#46 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26886 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] They have actual sequels released before the HD collections come out tho. Well, usually. Looking at you, Team Ico!locopatho

DMC4?

And the MGS one, did anyone ever mention that or know about it? Rising and Zeroes are getting hype cos they're new.

About Devil May Cry: Okay, got me there. :P

About MG: I don't understand the question.

#47 Posted by TilxWLOC (1033 posts) -

I'm just very meh on the whole concept of remakes. They are nice in addition to sequels or new IPs but eh. I don't get too excited for them.

locopatho

Agreed, but Gamepad support sells me on this one.

#48 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14444 posts) -

Shin Megami X Fire Emblem sounds f*cking stupid, I see no correlation.

#49 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I like the top two the best.freedomfreak

While the rest looks cartoonish giving the game an imbalanced look.
#50 Posted by charizard1605 (58179 posts) -
Dafuq did they do to the water? I'm pissed now.