Will Vita be Sony's last handheld?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Vita be Sony's last handheld? (79 votes)

yes 76%
no 24%

I'm curious to know what SW thinks about Sony attempting another handheld gaming device. It seems like they really missed the boat with the Vita (although it's really not bad, sales are still terrible). I guess smartphones, tablets, and even laptops can pretty much do what the Vita does on the go. Sony did attempt a gaming phone back in the day but it never really took off. So is there still a place for a next gen Sony handheld? Call me an optimist, but I don't think the Vita will be Sony's last. I think people want a dedicate gaming handheld like a 3DS, but they just want better support and I think they will fix that for next time. The Vita was in planning right around when smartphones took off so they were late to the party. But leaving the market altogether would leave a huge gap in this market because the 3DS just doesn't cut it for everyone. It's a Nintendo machine that mainly caters to Nintendo fans, casuals, and kids. Also smartphones and tablets will always be limited by touch screen. If Sony could turn around the PS3 from its shitty beginning to the PS4 then it could do the same (if it wants to) with the next handheld.

What say you, SW?

• 
Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Seems likely considering they don't really support Vita with first party games anymore. It's little more than a PS4 extender.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Yes.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It looks like it will.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Lol Vita

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

100% yes, as far as traditional handheld.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

No. The Ps5 will be needing an expensive controller, too.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Can someone who is more industry Davy than I explain to me why when the vita is "dead" and is a handheld that few have and fewer want. Why am I not seeing a significant drop in the price of the games?

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Yes.

As much as I love my Vita, Sony just doesn't know how, nor probably has the resources anymore, to make a handheld successful in a mobile phone market. They barely advertise it (E3 had zero presence of it), they barely support any first-party titles anymore, they still persist on using expensive memory cards (no one's going to pay $60 for a 16GB memory card; that's insane!) Their best-selling title (Uncharted: Golden Abyss at 1 million) still sold less than a 13-year old port of a Nintendo 64 game. Hell, a port of Super Street Fighter IV sold better than Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Yeesh.

It's sad because the PSVita is probably my favorite handheld design-wise but if it wasn't for PlayStation Plus, I'd have a hard time turning it on every month. Such a missed opportunity.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

they'll probably continue making them as an add-on just like MS with the Smart Glass, with enough power to maybe run some indies, old games and streaming.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Since Sony learned nothing from PSP failures, they'll probably learn nothing from Vita's failures. I wouldn't be surprised if they **** it up a third time around and continue to lose massive amounts of money on handhelds.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Absolutely.

Smartphones have chewed the f#ck out of its market. I give mad props to Ninty and Sony for having balls of adamantium & firmly sticking to their once-successful strategy and thus putting millions behind these devices knowing they're on their last legs.

#Respect

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

If we're lucky no handhelds period. Time to embrace the superior alternative, mobile gaming.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Yes, and it's a damn shame.

Unfortunately smartphones are taking over handheld gaming :(

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LadyBlue

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yes, and it's a damn shame.

Unfortunately smartphones are taking over handheld gaming :(

Embrace the superior alternative. :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@ladyblue said:

If we're lucky no handhelds period. Time to embrace the superior alternative, mobile gaming.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Seems likely considering they don't really support Vita with first party games anymore. It's little more than a PS4 extender.

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ladyblue said:

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LadyBlue

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ladyblue said:

You have no idea how wrong you're.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 speedfreak48t5p

@ladyblue said:

Stop trying to make me cry. :(

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I hope so. Sony's handhelds are a reason they're bleeding money and had to sell off parts of their company and stuff. Sony always try to do too much like they're the jack of all trades but master of none. They should just focus on PS4 and PSN.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

@ladyblue said:

Embrace the superior alternative. :)

I'm sure Nintendo will make another handheld.

And if they don't... well then it's just PC and consoles for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@ladyblue said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ladyblue said:

Thinking about handicapping myself like that i.e. only having a touch screen as controls to play games on the go makes me physically sick.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LadyBlue
@R4gn4r0k said:

Thinking about handicapping myself like that i.e. only having a touch screen as controls to play games on the go makes me physically sick.

You sure love to exaggerate.

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ladyblue said:

I bet you would feel better if you gave mobile gaming an honest try. So many games to choose from. ;)

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Yes.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Nintendo has got a stranglehold on the handheld market.

The Vita better be Sony's last handheld because they're betting a lot on Project Morpheus.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ladyblue said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ladyblue said:

Agreed. And I have given it a try. Just don't like touch screen controls.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Vita is probably the best handheld ever released (hardware wise).

Shame about the support, although it still has some good games.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I think Vita will be the last handheld for sony. Vita is an excellent piece of hardware but sony didn't put any effort into the games. Sony should have produced mode exclusives for the vita instead of ports. 3ds has been successful because of its exclusives. Sony can save the vita if they put out some good games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Shareholders probably want it to be. Going from ~80 million units to ~4 million units is a crazy failure.

Sony doesn't have the market share to compete anymore, and mobile gaming has taken away whatever chance they might have trying again. The PSP was a fluke I guess.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 speedfreak48t5p

@ladyblue said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ladyblue said:

I bet you would feel better if you gave mobile gaming an honest try. So many games to choose from. ;)

The idea of trying mobile gaming makes me want to cry even more. :(

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tonitorsi

@foxhound_fox said:

Shareholders probably want it to be. Going from ~80 million units to ~4 million units is a crazy failure.

Sony doesn't have the market share to compete anymore, and mobile gaming has taken away whatever chance they might have trying again. The PSP was a fluke I guess.

Well, seeing the situation for what it really is, the 3DS is slowing down in sales, year-over-year.

The money or interest just isn't there anymore for only dedicated gaming handhelds.

And ironically, gaming is at an all time high on smartphones.

There so many ways to capitalize on this that my only hope is that Nintendo or Sony take the hint.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ladyblue said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ladyblue said:

such as?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Good games and a price cut could save the Vita. Instead Sony made a cheaper to produce Vita and kept the price the same. Pretty sad really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

To me the PlayStation Vita is exactly like the PlayStation Portable in almost every way except obvious differences. I can only see the third handheld they make having the same misfortune as the other two, if Sony was foolish enough to make a third. They should have targeted the mistakes they made with the PlayStation Portable, in order to make improvement with the PlayStation Vita and even now, all they need to do is figure out what they are doing wrong currently. But learning is not Sony's strong point, making the same with the mistakes that they did with the PSP is.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Well, seeing the situation for what it really is, the 3DS is slowing down in sales, year-over-year.

The money or interest just isn't there anymore for only dedicated gaming handhelds.

There so many ways to capitalize on this that my only hope is that Nintendo or Sony take the hint.

Slowing down at ~42 million units, yeah. But still going, especially once the next Pokemon drops.

Unfortunately, smartphone gaming doesn't offer the same kind of experiences.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

I don't think it will, I think Sony had to much ambition from the vita but no direction, they're turning things around beautifully now and the next handheld can be a much better successor, with easier development. In any case I believe sony will make another I could be wrong of course but it's understandable as Nintendo is dominant in the handheld market, and this could be Son;ys last but I wouldn't bank on it yet.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

I don't know, but I think it should be. Sony did much better when they concentrated on one console (PS1 and PS2). I think they should stop supporting the PS3 too and just focus on the PlayStation 4.

Sony should concentrate on a single console and Nintendo on a single handheld.

@glitter said:

To me the PlayStation Vita is exactly like the PlayStation Portable in almost every way except obvious differences. I can only see the third handheld they make having the same misfortune as the other two, if Sony was foolish enough to make a third. They should have targeted the mistakes they made with the PlayStation Portable, in order to make improvement with the PlayStation Vita and even now, all they need to do is figure out what they are doing wrong currently. But learning is not Sony's strong point, making the same with the mistakes that they did with the PSP is.

Sony did learn from its mistakes from the PSP, PSP Go and PS3, but made new ones.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Yep. Vita has been a massive money sink hole for them.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Yeah probably. No reason to try again unless they go non traditional.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

There might always be another day when releasing a new handheld might seem viable, all depending on whether holds good grace with the gaming community at large, and whether they can market something attractive. I think where Nintendo plays into all this is also a big consideration, as they have typically dominated the handheld market.

I think price is a big thing with handhelds though, I don't think many people want to pay more than $200. Nintendo price cutting the 3DS really helped, the Vita going to $200 though is just marginally too expensive IMO given they still have the proprietary memory card issue. I think Sony could really turn things around for themselves if they in a new model Sony decided to utilize SDHC.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I hope not, sony makes some of the best handhelds in the market and i adore the vita so much.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

if they do it wont be a dedicated handheld.

i do think sony should look at taking a second crack at the xperia play again. with gaming taking off on mobile devices a proper gaming phone could be an interesting proposition in a very crowded market. certainly more interesting than another slab design.

have android on it but also have a second OS that kicks in when playing vita 2 (im just going to call it vita 2 for simplicity) games.

apply the console business to phones and it could make things very interesting (i.e. sell the hardware at cost or for little profit and make the money on games). high end specs...mid range price. the vita was very cutting edge when it was released and still cost a lot less than a high end phone so its doable.

just make sure it uses standard SD cards.

the play failed becuase it was priced too high, android gaming sucks and the controls were mostly useless.

android gaming still sucks (as does IOS) but more games have controller support now (what with nvidia making a push for it and so on) and backed by sonys own developers and exclusive vita 2 games it could make for an interesting phone.

but it would have to be a proper gaming device. badly implemented controls at the hardware level would kill it stone dead. sony would also have to be commited to supporting it (they will only make money off the vita 2 game sales after all).

making another dedicated gaming device would be pointless for sony.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tonitorsi

@foxhound_fox said:

@tonitorsi said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Slowing down at ~42 million units, yeah. But still going, especially once the next Pokemon drops.

Unfortunately, smartphone gaming doesn't offer the same kind of experiences.

Sales slowing down just 3 years after its retail release is not good, in my opinion. Perhaps pokemon and high profile Ip's will sustain it for a little bit longer, but I can't see it recreating something close to the NDS.

Smartphone gaming actually makes a lot of money though, if the experience goes to places or not its subjective. I'm saying though, I'm pretty sure a Nintendo kind of "phablet" or a marketable PlayStation phone could move the dough again for Nintendo and Sony in the handhelds space. Coming up again with a 4DS or Vita 2 isn't a bankable direction anymore.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k

@ladyblue said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

What? You thought that clip was from Team America ? No, I actually went outside and filmed myself throwing up.

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The idea of trying mobile gaming makes me want to cry even more. :(

In theory it's all great.

Like you have your smart phone with you everywhere, so you can game everywhere. But I never even use it. It's way too limited to do even the most basic actions in games. Like GTA: SA sounds great on the go. Controlling the camera is hell though.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

1000000%

Vita has failed. They need to put it out of it's misery. PSP was mainly successful because it was easily hackable.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Kjranu said:

^^ This. If Sony comes out with a third handheld, I won't buy it. They've proven that they don't support their handheld hardware very well twice now and frankly with PSV... neither does anyone else... but indies.The PSV is the first Playstation ever to disappoint me. Even the PSP was at least supported by great third party games. I've always enjoyed Playstation systems, but PSV turned out to be a failed promise that they twisted into a fucking PS4 accessory. Granted, a neat PS4 accessory, but a mere accessory none-the-less.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

explain to me why when the vita is "dead" and its a handheld that few have and fewer want. Why am I not seeing a significant drop in the price of the games?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Smartphones/Tablets will kill the handheld gaming we been used with from Nintendo/Sony

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Smartphones/Tablets will kill the handheld gaming we been used with from Nintendo/Sony

Phone gaming might kill Sony, but not Nintendo handheld gaming.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

smartphone/tablet gaming without a controller is just awful. On screen controls can go to hell

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

^ to hell and back, bro.