Will this be the last time Microsoft uses weakest hardware?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

predicted another 360 after all they learned from this gen

the next microsoft console will launch early and have some of the best hardware at the time

it will launch at a similar price point of 400 and break even at launch

it will basically just be a ps4 with insanely better hardware no more always online

just spins discs everyday all day bigger hard drive than ps4 better multiplats more grass more graphics

its gonna come down early an beat the ps4 back etc

do u think this'll happen soonish or what?

has microsoft learned its place you want o have the best multiplats you want to have the best graphics

you want to have the best online service not the most expensive and the one thats always down a ton and you want the best and this is not happening this gen xb1 has been down alot ii couldn't single player sometimes it kept logging me down during games

xb1 is a total disaster on the opposite what u should do for gamers its the complete opposite i dunno if microsoft has learned or what but i hope they see now whats going on

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

But Wii U has it.

Hope it's the last tome you create a thread

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I reckon this is the last time consoles will be made. Streaming will kill the console.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

They've never had the weakest hardware

Xbox was more powerful than PS2

360 was more powerful than Wii and often performed better than PS3

Xbox One is more powerful than Wii U

/thread

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

@ProtossX said:

the next microsoft console will launch early and have some of the best hardware at the time

it will basically just be a ps4 with insanely better hardware no more always online

just spins discs everyday all day bigger hard drive than ps4 better multiplats more grass more graphics

has microsoft learned its place you want o have the best multiplats you want to have the best graphics

you want to have the best online service not the most expensive and the one thats always down a ton and you want the best and this is not happening this gen xb1 has been down alot ii couldn't single player sometimes it kept logging me down during games

xb1 is a total disaster on the opposite what u should do for gamers its the complete opposite i dunno if microsoft has learned or what but i hope they see now whats going on

Can't really understand what the hell you're trying to say once again but..I like my Xbox One. Better exclusives and apps than my PS4, which has caused me to not even turn on my PS4 for months. I thought I was going to finally have a reason to with The Order but we all know how that went so here I am waiting on Uncharted. Also, PSN is down far more frequently than XBL is and is a considerably worse service. Nobody knows when Microsoft will release a new console; not even Microsoft. These consoles have been out for less than a year and a half and Sony planned on the PS4 lasting longer than the PS3. It will be a while before we see new hardware...So once again, as in every gen, all multiplats will be played on my PC and all good console exclusives will be played on my Xbox or Playstation.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@ProtossX said:

XB1 is still selling very well. The only reason why Microsoft released the 360 so early was because the PS2 dominated the 6th generation of consoles.

Nintendo will release their next console at least a year before Microsoft and Sony does.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emgesp

@clyde46 said:

I reckon this is the last time consoles will be made. Streaming will kill the console.

Streaming will not improve all that much 5 yrs from now. Yes, it will get better, but it still won't be good enough to replace dedicated hardware.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Two thoughts come to mind...

Great games legitimize powerful hardware. Not the other way around...

And...

When has having the most powerful hardware proven to make a difference in the sales war?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Another thread made by cow after 5Order.

i came for some stupid post to laugh about, was not dissapointed, thank you. Also the TC is a lem.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emgesp

@TheEroica said:

And...

When has having the most powerful hardware proven to make a difference in the sales war?

Time of release makes more of an impact on sales than the actual hardware capabilities.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Please let this be the last time you make a thread

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@TheEroica said:

And...

This gen its been hugely against microsoft

sites like digital foundry and neogaf are mad talking crap about xb1 hardware

we've never seen the worst hardware made fun of as much as it is this gen

games like GTA5 have a better experience on ps4 cuz of more grass and better graphics an stuff

WEVE NEVER SEEN a gen like this where the ps4 is called the best console ever made an stuff best hardware for a console etc

usually microsoft had better hardware an ppl didn't come out it ins defense this gens been just multiplat after multiplat there no awesome stuff on ps4 its all multiplats basically

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
  • Xbox: Strongest hardware
  • Xbox 360: second strongest hardware
  • Xbox One: second strongest hardware

Xbox 4 will debut sometime between 2020 and 2023.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

Streaming will not improve all that much 5 yrs from now. Yes, it will get better, but it still won't be good enough to replace dedicated hardware.

Nonsense. If it means companies get more money from us then it will happen.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator

@emgesp: indeed... More so than hardware any day.

@ProtossX: neogaf talking crap? Lol...

Digital foundry just got done with a full generation of proving the complexity in developing using the cell processor in the ps3 actually kept it behind the 360 in direct comparriosons almost all generation long....

I'd personally steer away from believing that we are "all making fun of the worst hardware..." I think, post e3 there was alot of negative and questionable press following Microsoft (for good reason) but much of the forum chatter amounts to a hill of beans. If anything, the graphics debate is only raging because of how similar the two pieces of hardware are... People wouldn't be talking as much if either of these two consoles SHOWED a legitimate reason why one is "more powerful" than the other.... Which again, brings us back to the point that great hardware is only legitimized by the software it's playing....

Sony has yet to provide a game that the xbox one cannot... And the difference between them is pathetically miniscule, people have been tricked into side by side comparisons a week after launch to see the "differences" you never ever notice while playing the game yourself....

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Yes, because PC/Customizable hardware is going to happen :P

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@TheEroica said:

And...

Well, it seems that actually this gen...

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: the fact that PS4 is the most powerful isn't the reason it's selling more. Better marketing and PR after the DRM fiasco is the reason.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

But Wii U has it.

Hope it's the last tome you create a thread

What I was going to say. MS has never been the weakest hardware in any gen they have participated in.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Salt_The_Fries: the fact that PS4 is the most powerful isn't the reason it's selling more. Better marketing and PR after the DRM fiasco is the reason.

I think this gen may be the first time average consumers are paying a little attention to it because the 1080p vs 900p thing. Its easy for Joe and Harriet to say "gee hon that number is as high as our TV displays so this must be stronger".

@SuddenlyTragic said:

@ProtossX said:

Can't really understand what the hell you're trying to say once again but..I like my Xbox One. Better exclusives and apps than my PS4, which has caused me to not even turn on my PS4 for months. I thought I was going to finally have a reason to with The Order but we all know how that went so here I am waiting on Uncharted. Also, PSN is down far more frequently than XBL is and is a considerably worse service. Nobody knows when Microsoft will release a new console; not even Microsoft. These consoles have been out for less than a year and a half and Sony planned on the PS4 lasting longer than the PS3. It will be a while before we see new hardware...So once again, as in every gen, all multiplats will be played on my PC and all good console exclusives will be played on my Xbox or Playstation.

I like mine also. Tormentos will be here shortly to tell you how the PS4 has a larger list of games, and they are higher scoring as well. But I, like you don't care because I didn't buy a $400 dollar console for indies and 2D games. What good is Resogun's MC score to me if I don't care to play it?

12Danny123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By 12Danny123
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

I think the console market will slowly fade and become like media players. You can see Sony and Microsoft all moving towards other places other than consoles. e.g Sony is using streaming to other TVs while Microsoft is using Windows 10 for Xbox Games

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krelian-co

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@TheEroica said:

And...

Well, it seems that actually this gen...

it is ONE of the reasons, but when everyday there are more and more reasons to buy a ps4 and not to buy xbone it becomes just one more.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Nintendo may be the only one making a true console next gen. MS and Sony are probably going to stream.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Smh. Not even touching this one.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator

@Salt_The_Fries: Perhaps... But I'm willing to bet there are more than a few reasons why it's selling better... Price for one (xone has only just become less expensive) but I'd gather its Sonys more gamercentric approach to open the gen more so than the educated (or uneducated) public believing the console is measurably more powerful.

In the end, and as I felt last generation and every generation before it, show me the games... Because all graphics talk is hot air when there isn't a convincing example to pull from....

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emgesp

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

Not gonna happen 5 yrs from now. Sony and Microsoft don't want to have to deal with a SimCity like fiasco.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

In a world where people avoid wireless mice because of the slight input lag, I doubt it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

Not gonna happen 5 yrs from now. Sony and Microsoft don't want to have to deal with a SimCity like fiasco.

People laughed at Netflix, now look where it is....

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

lolwut? This console generation started in 2012. The previous one in 2005. With how quickly the current consoles are falling behind the PC in terms of hardware strength, I doubt we'll see this generation last nearly as long as the last one.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Shoot yourself.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emgesp

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

Netflix isn't interactive. Big difference.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

@WilliamRLBaker: nice to see you William :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

@clyde46 said:

defitnetly not for a little while actually, highly doubt that

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

lolwut? This console generation started in 2012. The previous one in 2005. With how quickly the current consoles are falling behind the PC in terms of hardware strength, I doubt we'll see this generation last nearly as long as the last one.

The Xbox One came out late 2013, lasting till 2020 would be seven years.

Seven years doesn't strike me as outrageous.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Krelian-co

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clyde46

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

@emgesp said:

@clyde46 said:

Netflix isn't interactive. Big difference.

Doesn't matter, the principle is the same. America may be lagging behind the rest of the world in terms of internet access but streaming is coming and it will kill the console.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@emgesp said:

XB1 is still selling very well. The only reason why Microsoft released the 360 so early was because the PS2 dominated the 6th generation of consoles.

Nintendo will release their next console at least a year before Microsoft and Sony does.

That's actually NOT why Microsoft was forced to release the XB360.. and I'm not going into why, lol.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#41 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Wasn't 360 proven more powerful than ps3 also still lost to Wii Xbox will always lose its time every one faces that they are the next Sega

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

Wasn't 360 proven more powerful than ps3 also still lost to Wii Xbox will always lose its time every one faces that they are the next Sega

Merely for the fact it was easier to develop for. The PS3 had more theoretical power, just no developer could really use it all that well.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@R3FURBISHED: 2018-2019 for me

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Doesn't matter, the principle is the same. America may be lagging behind the rest of the world in terms of internet access but streaming is coming and it will kill the console.

So you're saying we'll have a device that accepts our inputs, transmits it to a remote computer that sends back the results and the device displays the picture and plays the sounds. There's a term for that device. It's called a console. So what you're saying is that soon there will only be consoles and that will kill the consoles.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 emgesp

@dotWithShoes said:

@emgesp said:

That's actually NOT why Microsoft was forced to release the XB360.. and I'm not going into why, lol.

Then why even make a comment if you aren't going to explain yourself? Microsoft knew they had no chance winning the 6th generation of consoles, so in an attempt to have a leading edge for the 7th generation of consoles they made sure to release earlier than usual. It worked out in their favor as they won over the NA market with the 360.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emgesp

@mariokart64fan said:

When a developer knew how to take full advantage of the Cell processor the PS3 was indeed more capable. The 360 in general was just easier to develop for and that is why most multiplats performed better on the 360. Only Sony developers were able to unlock the full potential of the PS3.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Most definitely. Only Nintendo have the guts to innovate. From now on, MS will continue down the same route as Sony, making watered down PCs.

-

@emgesp said:

@mariokart64fan said:

When a developer knew how to take full advantage of the Cell processor the PS3 was indeed more capable. The 360 in general was just easier to develop for and that is why most multiplats performed better on the 360. Only Sony developers were able to unlock the full potential of the PS3.

It's not that third parties couldn't use the CELL, especially by the end. It's just the bloody thing isn't really viable for business. Sony developers could, because they have an obscene amount of time and resources from a stupid company that doesn't mind continually funding long ass projects like The Last Guardian (10 years).

A third party needs to have a vision, have a plan and get results every step of the way as quickly as possible. The CELL while very powerful was probably the worst choice someone could have used in creating a games console. For all that power and the cost of the extra development time and the research that went into the CELL, the gains were questionable, as in, was it really worth it.

I don't know why Sony strayed so far from the original PS concept. The PS1 allowed developers to bang out games quickly. The thing probably has one of the biggest libraries ever. And that's what the business is about. The 360 might have had a weaker CPU, but it is easier and had consistent results through out its life span. That's why you didn't see huge gains across the gen on it, developers could reach it's peak with more consistency and have the same constant results. Just like you wont see huge gains on the Xbox One and PS4. I'd be VERY surprised if graphics get better than The Order this gen on consoles, maybe marginally, but I think this will more or less be it.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ProtossX: Obviously you talking about the weakest vs Playstation. Yes it will.

My own theory about X1 is that MS felt into Wiis motion control trap. What they tried to actually do with X1 was to offer everything Wii could ( motion controls / casual appeal ) plus what Wii was missing ( decent hardware / online / multimedia capabilities ) in order to lure in all those Wii users.

They tried to make a system that would have a super casual appeal with motion controls yet would have all the multimedia abilities AND decent hardware to be able to play all the massive 3rd party multis etc ... Therefore the name Xbox One imho. One system that does a bit of everything unlike Wii. That backfired both Nintendo with Wii U and in some extend MS with X1.

It failed because their predictions , both MSs and Nintendos , that this casual motion control trend is the future ( in sales prospective ) and that hardware seems to not be the main factor in order to promote your console to market anymore. Failed ...failed and failed again.

Thats was serious mistake and prediction MS did and i dont think theyll do it again therefore i bet next-gen we gonna see an Xbox at least at the same level as competition ( hardware wise

) if not better.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By clyde46

@asylumni said:

@clyde46 said:

So you're saying we'll have a device that accepts our inputs, transmits it to a remote computer that sends back the results and the device displays the picture and plays the sounds. There's a term for that device. It's called a console. So what you're saying is that soon there will only be consoles and that will kill the consoles.

Did you miss the PSNow's that Sony was putting into Samsung TV's?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

You act as if the hardware difference between the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One is dramatic or something, it's really not. They both output games that look essentially identical when you're playing on a couch/TV setup, they both operate fluidly in most cases in terms of FPS and nothing will look graphically better on one console or the other. The Xbox One is capable of running anything the PlayStation 4 can, it may have to do it at a slightly lower resolution in some cases, but seeing as that resolution is being upscaled anyways the difference is for nearly all accounts completely indiscernible.