Will the Nintendo NX be powerful enough for 3rd parties?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By PikachuDude860

Poll Will the Nintendo NX be powerful enough for 3rd parties? (86 votes)

Yes. It will be powerful enough for 3rd party support. 24%
Nope. It will be another Wii U. (Not on par with the other two consoles) 34%
It will be powerful enough, but 3rd parties will still make excuses, etc. 42%

We all know the NX is coming. The question is, how powerful will it be?

Will it be a native 4K console? Will it be more powerful than a high end PC? Will it be around the PS4 and Xbox One's level? Will 3rd paties support it? So many questions...All we can do is guess and hope.

This is what I predict...I hope I'm wrong. 3rd parties will support the console around launch, just like they did the Wii U. They'll make ports of old last gen games that just recently came out, just like with the Wii U. The sale of those games will bomb, and 3rd parties will say: "W-Well, 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles! Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games!" And then they'll drop support...Just like they did with Wii U.

If that happens, regardless of how powerful the console is, 3rd parties will STILL not support it...When will they learn? You can't just put a game out there and expect people to buy it. You have to give them a reason to want to buy it. And...Of topic, I know.

Will the "Nintendo NX" be as powerful as the other 9th gen consoles, or will it be another Wii U?

• 
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#1 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I want to believe Nintendo will see the folly of not being in the same ballpark power wise. It doesn't have to be the most powerful, but it needs to be there with the others imo. But it is Nintendo. They have seemed dead set on the "we're not competing with Sony and MS" stance.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I don't actually think NX is a console at all I think it's some kind of weird gaming concept Nintendo have planned. They didn't say it was a new console, everyone else did. They also mentioned support for all devices including the Wii U. I am pretty sure it is not a new console.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

It'll need to be but I think you can rule out it being powerful enough to run 4K.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

No, they wouldn't care if it was powerful.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Yeah you got it right. They will be more powerful than the X1/PS4, but the cows and lems won't change their console. You'll hear every excuse in the book. "I'd rather wait for the next PS/Xbox" and "All my friends and cheevos are here" or my personal favorite "Nintendo makes kiddie games I'm not going to buy the same rehash" then waits patiently for uncharted 6 and Halo 7.

Since this happens 3rd party support will flounder on the NX and they will be in the same position as they are now.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Did we really need a separate thread on this?

It's going to be all while speculation anway.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@blueinheaven: they had a chart that called it a "dedicated game system" and placed it next to the Wii U and 3DS. Iwata also called it their next dedicated gaming platform. It's definitely a console of some sort.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#9 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

No, third party devs will still make lame-ass excuses.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blueinheaven

@SakusEnvoy said:

@blueinheaven: they had a chart that called it a "dedicated game system" and placed it next to the Wii U and 3DS. Iwata also called it their next dedicated gaming platform. It's definitely a console of some sort.

MS describe cloud as a gaming platform. 'dedicated game system' could mean anything and the fact they included the Wii U says to me it's just another way of delivering existing games to their customers. If it was a new games console there would be no cloak and dagger stuff it would be a MAJOR announcement.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunchanumbers

@blueinheaven said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

MS describe cloud as a gaming platform. 'dedicated game system' could mean anything and the fact they included the Wii U says to me it's just another way of delivering existing games to their customers. If it was a new games console there would be no cloak and dagger stuff it would be a MAJOR announcement.

You realize that the NX was announced to show Nintendo's dedication to developing hardware don't you?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Native 4K? Why even bring that up TC? The Titan X, a $1000 GPU in a PC with $1000 worth of other parts can't hit 60fps at 4K. You can see this in the Gamespot review. I have 2 Titan Blacks, a 5960X, and 16GB of DDR4 and can't hit 60 fps at 4K. So the NX would have to cost somewhere around $5000 to have a chance. And knowing Nintendo the next console won't cost a 1/10th of that. So we can scratch 4K I think....

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blueinheaven

@bunchanumbers said:

@blueinheaven said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

You realize that the NX was announced to show Nintendo's dedication to developing hardware don't you?

Without actually announcing that they were developing console hardware?

Is this just wishful thinking on your part? I don't even know why Wii U owners or Nintendo fans would care either way they seem perfectly happy with the junk hardware they were served up. Why would they care what's 'next'? And for most publishers and devs whatever it is assuming it IS hardware, it better be damned good or they'll blank them again and so they should.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Assuming it's a home console, the only things that are safe to say is that it will still have a disc drive, and will have a new CPU architecture.

It won't be weaker than PS4, but I wouldn't expect much more than that, perhaps the CPU will be much better though. It'll have more RAM too.

Power mostly depends on if Nintendo is still focused on Japan's electricity costs or not, as well as small form factors.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bunchanumbers

@blueinheaven said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@blueinheaven said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

Without actually announcing that they were developing console hardware?

Is this just wishful thinking on your part? I don't even know why Wii U owners or Nintendo fans would care either way they seem perfectly happy with the junk hardware they were served up. Why would they care what's 'next'? And for most publishers and devs whatever it is assuming it IS hardware, it better be damned good or they'll blank them again and so they should.

Its all speculation. It could be that the new platform is the unified OS that allows for scalable games between console and handheld. Either way the streaming service is unlikely because they never once showed any inkling to start one.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I want to believe Nintendo will see the folly of not being in the same ballpark power wise. It doesn't have to be the most powerful, but it needs to be there with the others imo. But it is Nintendo. They have seemed dead set on the "we're not competing with Sony and MS" stance.

Though, if it isn't as powerful, it will be in the same situation that the Wii U was in.

Keep in mind, The NES to the Gamecube, from what I've heard, was very powerful consoles. (In comparison to the other consoles in their generation)

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

3rd party games are due to sales not hardware.

If the Wii U was selling like the Wii it would have 3rd party support.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PikachuDude860

@GoldenElementXL said:

Native 4K? Why even bring that up TC? The Titan X, a $1000 GPU in a PC with $1000 worth of other parts can't hit 60fps at 4K. You can see this in the Gamespot review. I have 2 Titan Blacks, a 5960X, and 16GB of DDR4 and can't hit 60 fps at 4K. So the NX would have to cost somewhere around $5000 to have a chance. And knowing Nintendo the next console won't cost a 1/10th of that. So we can scratch 4K I think....

Really? Well dang. Why even bother with a new console when it's stuck at 1080p? 1080p has been a thing since the mid 2000s. If the 9th gen isn't truly 4K, then it's basically just a 8th gen.5.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bunchanumbers

@wiiboxstation said:

3rd party games are due to sales not hardware.

If the Wii U was selling like the Wii it would have 3rd party support.

This. If 3rd party games were selling 2m copies on Wii U the 3rd party support would be as strong as ever. This is why even if the NX has a 970 inside it, it would still be largely ignored by 3rd parties.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers said:

Yeah you got it right. They will be more powerful than the X1/PS4, but the cows and lems won't change their console. You'll hear every excuse in the book. "I'd rather wait for the next PS/Xbox" and "All my friends and cheevos are here" or my personal favorite "Nintendo makes kiddie games I'm not going to buy the same rehash" then waits patiently for uncharted 6 and Halo 7.

Since this happens 3rd party support will flounder on the NX and they will be in the same position as they are now.

Oh yeah. Yep. Don't forget about "The games look too cartoony" and "Nintendo's internet sucks".

Nintendo should just buy Capcom and Sega already. Then they'd have enough IPs to last a generation without 3rd parties.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PikachuDude860

@mr_huggles_dog: Hmm...I dunno, really. It's a debate about how powerful the console is, and about 3rd parties. A specific topic.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SakusEnvoy

@pikachudude860: there's more to new console generations than jumps in resolution. The N64 (with expansion pack) and GameCube both could do 480p, but the GameCube was a giant technical leap over the N64. If Nintendo produces a new console with the equivalent of a GTX 970 inside, it will handle 1080p much more skilfully than the PS4 can.

In any case, it's debatable that a console released 3-4 years into a generation would constitute a new console generation. It would be more like a second console released within the same generation.

bunchofnumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bunchofnumbers
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

"Nintendo makes kiddie games I'm not going to buy the same rehash" then waits patiently for uncharted 6 and Halo 7.

That is such a bad argument cause Nintendo has long lasting franchises too. Count all the Mario and Zelda games... The real reason that will decide if Nintendo is successful or not will be if third parties want to develop for the platform, which currently they do not want to do because of the gamepad which makes it different to develop for than a ps4 or Xbone title.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bunchanumbers

@bunchofnumbers said:
@bunchanumbers said:

"Nintendo makes kiddie games I'm not going to buy the same rehash" then waits patiently for uncharted 6 and Halo 7.

That is such a bad argument cause Nintendo has long lasting franchises too. Count all the Mario and Zelda games... The real reason that will decide if Nintendo is successful or not will be if third parties want to develop for the platform, which currently they do not want to do because of the gamepad which makes it different to develop for than a ps4 or Xbone title.

Oh come on you're stalking me here too now? :( No place is safe.

bunchofnumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bunchofnumbers
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@bunchofnumbers said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Oh come on you're stalking me here too now? :( No place is safe.

deflect quick! We cant use logic... Its a forum about a new topic? Am I not allowed here?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I think Nintendo should just drop out of the console hardware and make games as a third party developer for other systems. They couldn't even deliver in game voice chat or party chat, unified accounts, digital rights retention, whether they can achieve the console performance of the other consoles is the least of my concerns.

The DeNA deal allowing them to make Nintendo licensed games for mobile devices just makes me more confused about where Nintendo sees themselves in the coming years. At the very least if Nintendo dropped out of the console market then I could at least see them maintaining success in the handheld one. Now that their games are going to cellphones and tablets I think they're losing their leverage on the licenses that drive people to get their handheld systems.

That somewhat recent news about how nothing gets done at Nintendo without unanimous board approval explains a lot about how they drag their feet and can't do basic things like get VC games published on their systems, can't localize finished games released in Japan for other markets. How can they be flexible enough to bring in third parties and cater to their needs? And, just like the Wii U, I'm not going to buy a new Nintendo console to play the same games I can play on other systems that I already own.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I don't think the NX it's an actual console. It's a bit too early for that right now.It's their next handheld.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I dont understand why everyone thinks that the "NX" will be a console. It seems more logical to be that it would be the 3DS successor.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ldustin
Member since 2014 • 133 Posts

It would make no sense for Nintendo to release another portable when they just launched the New 3DS and are now launching their phone/tablet strategy.

I don't perceive there to be an issue with the effects that the current gen GPUs produce-- I believe there is a bottleneck in how much RAM the GPUs can actually handle. Just because you put 16GB of RAM in the box doesn't mean the GPU and CPU can process the traffic of 16 lanes.

Nintendo may have to brute force things by building the console around two GPUs (with an additional 64MB of eDRAM). Ports could just use one GPU while exclusives could take advantage of the 100% increase of bandwidth (and hopefully the eDRAM will help with latency issues between the two chips).

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SakusEnvoy

@Kaze_no_Mirai: because the Wii U is the worst selling home console Nintendo has ever created (not counting the Virtual Boy). They don't hold on to poor selling consoles long. The GameCube and N64 were both dropped after 5 years, and the Wii U is doing worse.

The 3DS literally just had a hardware revision, and is selling well in Japan and even America. It also has no serious competition because the Vita is all but dead and Nintendo is about to enter mobile gaming. The need for a 3DS successor simply isn't there right now, but the need for a Wii U successor is very apparent. If they have to cut its lifecycle short a year in order to stay competitive, Nintendo will do it.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@SakusEnvoy: I get that reasoning but Im surprised at the overwhelming amount of people automatically assuming it will be a home console. Assuming the announcement is made during E3 2016 the 3DS will be over 5 years old by that time. Wii U just over 3 years. I think it can go either way but I feel a handheld is more likely.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PikachuDude860

@bunchofnumbers: @bunchanumbers:

Wait...There are TWO of you?!??! o_0

That's enough internet for me tonight...

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SakusEnvoy

@Kaze_no_Mirai: Well, from Iwata's previous comments about unified architecture for home consoles and portables, plus the fact that NX is supposed to be a new gaming concept, along with the Fusion rumors, I think the popular theory is that NX is a hybrid console anyway. A console that also doubles as a handheld that can be taken on the go.

Nintendo was already half way there with the Wii U and its wireless streaming tech worked very well. They only need to give the controller itself internal hardware and it could easily become their next portable. And then they can simplify their console development pipeline by making the same games for handheld and home console.

I doubt the system would be backwards compatible with either the 3DS or Wii U libraries. The Wii U uses an outdated PowerPC architecture, and Nintendo is supposedly going with AMD (x86, ARM, or both) for its next system. Meanwhile, the 3DS has dual screens, which would be too clumsy looking to use as a standard controller. So, if true, it may be easier to market the NX as a third pillar rather than a direct successor to either the Wii U or 3DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@cainetao11 said:

Though, if it isn't as powerful, it will be in the same situation that the Wii U was in.

Keep in mind, The NES to the Gamecube, from what I've heard, was very powerful consoles. (In comparison to the other consoles in their generation)

In regards to NES & Gamecube, your wrong. The Sega Master System was more powerful than the NES. And the Original XBOX was more powerful than the Gamecube. Also, though NOT as popular in generation 4 due to pricing, the NEO GEO system was more powerful than SNES, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 during that generation.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

4K lol

LOLOLOLOLOL

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I think Nintendo should just drop out of the console hardware and make games as a third party developer for other systems. They couldn't even deliver in game voice chat or party chat, unified accounts, digital rights retention, whether they can achieve the console performance of the other consoles is the least of my concerns.

The DeNA deal allowing them to make Nintendo licensed games for mobile devices just makes me more confused about where Nintendo sees themselves in the coming years. At the very least if Nintendo dropped out of the console market then I could at least see them maintaining success in the handheld one. Now that their games are going to cellphones and tablets I think they're losing their leverage on the licenses that drive people to get their handheld systems.

That somewhat recent news about how nothing gets done at Nintendo without unanimous board approval explains a lot about how they drag their feet and can't do basic things like get VC games published on their systems, can't localize finished games released in Japan for other markets. How can they be flexible enough to bring in third parties and cater to their needs? And, just like the Wii U, I'm not going to buy a new Nintendo console to play the same games I can play on other systems that I already own.

No, Nintendo just being cheap sitting on reserves....

Besides more competition good + I doubt people who bought MS/SONY would buy those toddler games. We'd buy Bayonetta though and give it the recognition it deserves I mean the gen is kinda missing a good Hack n Slash.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

We barely even know the thing exists...

... but given Ninty's past experience with third parties...

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@notorious1234na said:

@lamprey263 said:

No, Nintendo just being cheap sitting on reserves....

Besides more competition good + I doubt people who bought MS/SONY would buy those toddler games. We'd buy Bayonetta though and give it the recognition it deserves I mean the gen is kinda missing a good Hack n Slash.

If I remember correctly nintendo had to save bayonetta 2 because "you people" didn't give the first the recognition it deserved.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bunchanumbers

@pikachudude860 said:

I'm being stalked :(

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@pikachudude860 said:

lol..there's also bunchenumbers... :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@PsychoLemons said:

No, they wouldn't care if it was powerful.

Pretty much.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bunchanumbers

@superbuuman said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@pikachudude860 said:

lol..there's also bunchenumbers... :P

and bunchunumbers. and bunchonumbers.

....they're all following me too. Its been a little weird lately.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:

@pikachudude860 said:

In regards to NES & Gamecube, your wrong. The Sega Master System was more powerful than the NES. And the Original XBOX was more powerful than the Gamecube. Also, though NOT as popular in generation 4 due to pricing, the NEO GEO system was more powerful than SNES, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 during that generation.

GC was still more powerful than the PS2. Couldn't see the latter system try and run Rogue Leader and F-Zero GX.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Assuming it is a console, I'm betting it being on par with atleast the X1. Probably slightly better GPU than Sony or MS, but I doubt they'll ever reach the Sony/MS install base numbers.

Nintendo still has that kiddy image that it's going to be damn hard to shake off.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#45 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Why don't we all wait for confirmation before predicting

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

Nintendo are currently trying to maximise their number of first party titles by unifying development of their handheld and console titles.

I would bet that NX has something to do with that - the 'X' obviously standing for 'cross-platform'.

So I think this discussion of relative power and third parties is conpletely missing the point.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#47 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It will be powerful enough, but 3rd parties will still make excuses

@GarGx1 said:

It'll need to be but I think you can rule out it being powerful enough to run 4K.

Pretty much.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Who honestly cares about their next console? It's a ways off as it is. What should be the news that is making headlines is that proper accounts are soon on the way. This holds ramifications that are far more relevant than what new hardware brings. That's the exciting news from this announcement. As for new machines and the return of third party support, you Nintendo hopefuls are simply clueless and unwillingly to look at historical precedent, amounting evidence brought to light through articles straight from developers, the complete lack of literally every third party on the planet, and also statements from Nintendo themselves, and listen to reason. It's been explained to you a thousand times before, and still you make these topics and ask these questions 1,000 times again as if you've never heard the answers. Answers that have been spelled out to you as if you were in kindergarten. Which means you just don't WANT to hear them unless they're ringing your confirmation bias chimes.

It's still the same old, "when will third parties stop making excuses/learn?" Jesus. There is an insane amount delusion going on in here.

EDIT: I apologize for the tone, this has just become mind numbingly frustrating.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@cainetao11 said:

I don't need to "keep in mind" as I lived through them. We're on 2 consecutive gens now of Nintendo not wanting to play ball with everyone else.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ldustin:

Next gen SoCs has HBM which renders traditional eDRAM obsolete. Any new consoles should have HBM.