will the BAD NEWS about RARE LTD ever end??? LOTS of info inside.

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

Killer instinct 3 is not in development.

http://mundorare.com/news/2010/02/rare-not-working-on-killer-instinct-3-according-to-ken-lobb/

So

• KI3 isn't being worked on.
  • Kameo 2 has very little chance of comming out,
  • PD2's fate will probably be desided by how well PD XBLA does.

I'm a ig rare LTD fan, but I am really worried about what rare is doing now. I believed that out of the 14 launch games for natal 4-6 of them would be by rare, Maybe Banjo Natal. I'm hoping for conker, but not for natal. and PD@ is in the air right now.

So 4 or 5 games seems promising until I came across this

http://mundorare.com/news/2009/12/planned-2010-natal-game-canceled/

another game cancelled. my blood began pumping since i don't know who to blame :( The news goes on to say more negaive plans

http://mundorare.com/news/2010/01/rare-may-be-working-on-the-360s-version-of-wii-fit/

yeah... a natal fit by Rare LTD, sure its a game (YES! a game!!!!) and I'm sure it'll be creative (or atleast I hope) but what happened to rae this gen? they started out putting 2 games a year up until 09 when I can't remember anything that they did. those XBLA titles are all made by 4J studios. I really hope that when Spawnpoint studios (1st party Natal dev) opens MS will allow rare to get back tomaking normal games.

Now I wanna ask , its the reason for the poll, who's getting PD XBLA? I mean if MS sees that PD has legs this gen maybe just maybe they'll get Rare back to making PD2.

here are links to Kameo 2's cancellation, it was actually due to too many projects (Viva Pinata and Banjo)

http://mundorare.com/news/2009/10/kameo-2-was-purportedly-canceled-in-2007/

and PD2

http://mundorare.com/news/2009/11/perfect-dark-2-canceled-may-have-evolved-into-something-else/

which maybe turned into something else.

Man I'm hoping E3 brings some good news. If you don't feel like posing atleast vote :)

oh and if you have comment feel free to discuss keep it clean though no bashing Rare please.

EDIT:

but from the shadows of defeat ther is victory, I just found this, There is news. This is actually positive news *YAH* Peter molyneux, who is head of xbox europe, plans to help rare get more welly known. He stated that he isn't going to mess with the games himself, though he wants to get the games more welly known.

http://mundorare.com/news/2009/06/molyneux-wants-rare-to-come-out-of-the-closet/

That means more coverage about Rare's upcomming projects, what ever they maybe. This probably means that Rare will actually say something at E3 rather than be secretive about things.

AdmiralRJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AdmiralRJW
Member since 2010 • 556 Posts

I blame Microsoft

Red_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Red_Paladin
Member since 2003 • 1537 Posts

The Rare that exists now =/= the Rare we grew up loving, and thats a tragic thing.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Nearly everyone on my friends list & myself will be buying Perfert Dark XBLA. I don't see why we need E3, 2010 is packed full all year long.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I won't be buying PD on XBLA.... as far as I'm concerned RARE stopped being awesome after Goldeneye... and lets face it, Perfect Dark is just the result of them losing the rights on James Bond. Never got into Perfect Dark, and PDZ was one of the worst games I've played this gen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate RARE now... I just expect much out of them. and thank goodness Killer INstinct isn't being made.... I thought the old ones were sooooo SToopid! Not enticing at all. Rare will never be what it was when they made Donkey Kong Country... and I've accepted that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

RARE is destined to compete with Nintendo using NATAL vs. Wii.., I think that's the plan.

RARE will become the premiere leader in NATAL minigames/ games.

A shame about KI3 not being real...that could have been a fun minigame for NATAL.

Rare, what's happening?:(

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

They gave us Banjo... and it flopped. I can only blame Rare for that. Unless they want to show me they can still make awesome games like they used to, then IDC if they're working on Natal.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Rare were awesome in 80's and 90's. Not so anymore. End of story.

dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

Wow they were bad when M$ first bought them, now its just getting embarassingly sad. At least i still have the greatness that is the Rare N64 games

kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts
I LOVED Killer Instinct when it came out on SNES, so that's pretty disappointing for me. Does Microsoft own Rare? I want to know if they did make a new Killer Instinct if it would be 360 exclusive, because I'd be bummed out.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shawn7324
I LOVED Killer Instinct when it came out on SNES, so that's pretty disappointing for me. Does Microsoft own Rare? I want to know if they did make a new Killer Instinct if it would be 360 exclusive, because I'd be bummed out.kittyloaf69
Yes MS owns Rare, so a Killer Instinct title would be exclusive. However that doesn't matter since it would make sense to make that game.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#12 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

WRONG they are working on KI3

See? Do you see?

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawn7324

See? Do you see?

SpinoRaptor24

Nope. They are bringing an older KI title to the Arcade.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#14 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

See? Do you see?

shawn7324

Nope. They are bringing an older KI title to the Arcade.

What say you now?

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mayceV
I say there is hope!
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

I'll get PD, but i'm concerned now, I played PDZ yesterday to see if my opinions has changed since its release and the controls are RUBBISH. They do not translate well to analogue sticks.

It's as bad as playing SF2 on the 360 control pad. There is a reason console shooters rarely play like this now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

I wish I could say Rare getting bashed in SW was a very rare thing. :P

Anywho, I'm buying PD and kudos to the poster who posted the pick of Banjo N&B confirming K.I. is in the works lol

I want Conker announced. :)

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

They gave us Banjo... and it flopped. I can only blame Rare for that. Unless they want to show me they can still make awesome games like they used to, then IDC if they're working on Natal.

SaltyMeatballs

They gave us Kameo, VP, VP2, Banjo N&B. None of them flopped. All of them are AA rated games. None of them did well in sales.

Is it that they don't make good games, or is it that their games don't sell well on the 360?

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mayceV
[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

They gave us Kameo, VP, VP2, Banjo N&B. None of them flopped. All of them are AA rated games. None of them did well in sales.

Is it that they don't make good games, or is it that their games don't sell well on the 360?

actually kameo sold very well considering the user base at the time. it sold smething like 600-700k and put that over the 7 million xboxes that moved from Nov 05-dec 06 and then you realize that kameo sold very well. VP sold over 1.5 mill but MS didn't market VP:TIP I actually didn't know it exsisted until I was looking at banjo N&B. Banjo sold alrightish. 600K so no game excet VP2 bombed in sales really. but despite that all of them are great games. the best selling gae rare made was PDZ comming in at 1 million or so copies in its first year (put it over 7 million and again that game sold exceptionally well for the conditions it was given) I estimate that PDZ made a profit of about 30 million if its budget was 20 million. and kameo just barely covering its costs and making a profit of something like 10-15million. I'm still pretty mad that Kameo 2 was cancelled I mean just look at that 16 second animation reel, Kameo looked BA.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mayceV

SaltyMeatballs
Banjo din' flop it got a 8.5. a solid AA title which means its great. besides they can still make awesome platformers Kameo is proof of it. now we just gotta hope that they can do it again. This whole Natal focus really stinks.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

RARE is destined to compete with Nintendo using NATAL vs. Wii.., I think that's the plan.

A shame about KI3 not being real...that could have been a fun minigame for NATAL.

SolidTy

while i will miss the old Rare, it does make good business sense to make them into a Nintendo-like developer for Natal. Thanks for this thoughtful comment.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mayceV

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

lhughey

while i will miss the old Rare, it does make good business sense to make them into a Nintendo-like developer for Natal. Thanks for this thoughtful comment.

bu bu bu I don't want banjo Natal..... nor Kameo natal.... nor any game that can be played with sharp controls on a controller on natal. If it has natal I really hope it just a choice, If thats the case then its all good I'll stick with dual analogue :)

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

I blame Microsoft

AdmiralRJW
blame microsoft for what? the real Rrare split apart before microsoft bought them
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

all i can really say is thats kinda a shame. i've been waiting almost 14 years for a KI sequel. you could have sold me an xbox Rare.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mayceV

all i can really say is thats kinda a shame. i've been waiting almost 14 years for a KI sequel. you could have sold me an xbox Rare.

z4twenny
lol :) [QUOTE="gamer-adam1"][QUOTE="AdmiralRJW"]

I blame Microsoft

blame microsoft for what? the real Rrare split apart before microsoft bought them

and MS gave Rare creative freedom for quite while, don't know about know though.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46472 Posts

[QUOTE="AdmiralRJW"]

I blame Microsoft

gamer-adam1

Blame them for letting Rare work on stupid avatars and their clothing.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mayceV

I heard somewhere that big park is now incharge of that. but yeah that was a dumb Idea.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
It is disappointing that they have been hinting at KI3 for years now and there is no game. It upsets me quite a bit.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mayceV
It is disappointing that they have been hinting at KI3 for years now and there is no game. It upsets me quite a bit. HarlockJC
yeah hopefully its just a cruel joke. I mean they hinted in like crazy in banjo kazooie N&B, in thier chrismas card, and hinted very heavily in a interview. so its kinda wierd that they suddenly deny it.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
The only game that I think Rare has botched since MSFT bought them was Nuts&Bolts. No one wanted a Banjo game like that. I fully understand MSFT's move after N&B to tell them to focus on Natal games. They need a top developer making Natal games.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Chances are Rare are putting all their time toward Natal games atthe moment. Hopefully, we'll see some sequels after that.

Personally, I haven't bought a single Rare game since they went to MS, but recently I've decided topick upPDZ and Banjo when I find copies for cheap. And of course I'll be getting PD for XBLA.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Actually, if they're smart they'll make a Viva Pinata with Natal support. That would bring a lot more attention to the series and possibly some respect for Natal.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

A new jet force gemini would be awesome. Come onnnn Rare.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2143 Posts

if they were with sony their games would have sold better........im telling unless your shooting things......its not going to sell on the 360.......cause it caters to americans and they like to blow **** up

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

That's quite sad, I want to see those games, and yes, I'm buying Perfect Dark XBLA.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
Microsoft + First parties = EPIC FAIL
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

To me banjo is still a nintendo character since his hit games were on nintendo.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mayceV

if they were with sony their games would have sold better........im telling unless your shooting things......its not going to sell on the 360.......cause it caters to americans and they like to blow **** up

Syn_Valence
no........ MS just doesn't market Rare's stuff very well. and when MS does you get things like Viva pinata which sold over 1.5 million copies. and Rare being a very secretive company doesn't help. It goes to the degree that I didn't know viva pinata TIP exsisted until it released.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Syn_Valence
well crap then the ps3 having more shooters then the 360 is a problem isn't it?
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mayceV
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Syn_Valence"]

well crap then the ps3 having more shooters then the 360 is a problem isn't it?

funny if anything the 360 is over saturated with racers this gen. PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2, Forza 3, and race pro. then after that there is shooters with gears2,GRAW, Halo3, ODST, and PDZ.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

yeah they are really just a shadow of what they used to be. Alot of it though isn't there fault though they just seem to have realllly bad luck with microsoft and just can not catch a break

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

I'm pretty sure they are working on a KI3, but it probably won't come out until next year. They aren't going to tell the press about it until it's closer to completion. We might see a Battletoads and Conker game as well. I'm not sure about Perfect Dark 2 though. I will be gatting the PD Arcade game. I never did beat the N64 version. I don't feel like dragging that game system out of storage to play it. RARE will be releasing a few games this year I'm sure. I don't know why M$ has them doing the Avatars. M$ needs more exclusive games, which means they need more 1st party studios.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mayceV

I'm pretty sure they are working on a KI3, but it probably won't come out until next year. They aren't going to tell the press about it until it's closer to completion. We might see a Battletoads and Conker game as well. I'm not sure about Perfect Dark 2 though. I will be gatting the PD Arcade game. I never did beat the N64 version. I don't feel like dragging that game system out of storage to play it. RARE will be releasing a few games this year I'm sure. I don't know why M$ has them doing the Avatars. M$ needs more exclusive games, which means they need more 1st party studios.

XanderZane
its a good thing they're improving they're first party. Spawn point will hopefully replace rare on the natal font (hopefully) Firebird is focused on pushing the 360 with thier games and 343 sort replace bungie. 9 in all 6 that make console games, 2 online, and 1 natal dev. or thats how i wanna see it Ireally hope rare goes back to making platformers and PD2 wouldn't hurt.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
MS thought they took away Nintendo's thunder, their "plain B" but man have times have changed. RARE has been a bust for MS and a FAIL in my opinion.
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Rare is pretty much a prop up held by Microsoft money.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"][QUOTE="AdmiralRJW"]

I blame Microsoft

R4gn4r0k

Blame them for letting Rare work on stupid avatars and their clothing.

And Natal.:P

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

Syn_Valence
Then why have RPGs sold better on the 360 than the PS3????
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
i am getting PD XBLA, but it's not rare developing it it's 4J studios, they actually did the PS3 port of elder scrolls 4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4J_Studios
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

How about we all just relax. I find it helps if I count to 10. 1...2...3...4...5..6...

http://www.empireonline.com/images/features/the-best-alternative-coen-characters/20.jpg

This really doesn't mean anything either way -- games are cancelled all the time, and I'm sure Rare isn't paying the KI3/PD2/whatever-the-hell-else-was-maybe-cancelled teams to sit around and twiddle their thumbs.

We know Rare is working on at least a couple of games, so how about waiting until they're announced at E3? Then we can officially proclaim Rare dead in the water.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
meh, KI games are severally overhyped... Neither console version was awesome or great...Those were just "good" The Original game in Arcades owned pretty hard though