Will MK8 help Wii U more than Titanfall helped XB1?

Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) 7 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Will MK8 help Wii U more than Titanfall helped XB1? (58 votes)

Yes 79%
No 21%

Just like Microsoft hedged all their bets for the Xbox One on one game- Titanfall- so too does Nintendo, at least for the time being, seem to be hedging all of its bets on Mario Kart 8. They're doing everything- incessant marketing, bundling, the whole hog. But do you think Mario Kart 8 will be more effective for the Wii U than Titanfall was for the Xbox One (which, for all its hype, didn't seem to do much for the Xbox One when all was said and done)? Why or why not?

#1 Posted by finalstar2007 (25271 posts) -

Highly unlikely i just dont see people suddenly buying WiiU's all over the place just to play a racing game i mean if WiiU gets a $100 price drop with this game coming out soon then sure but as is highly unlikely as i said

we'll see

#2 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

No... or at least doubtful.

#3 Edited by Gue1 (10187 posts) -

I bet most of the people that want the game already have a Wii U.

Or maybe not because I see that Mario Kart Wii sold more than 30 millions....

#4 Edited by SolidTy (43693 posts) -

I'll offer up my definite and decisive answer to this SW sales quandary. A resounding ye..er..noyeaaaano.

NO....YES. I stand by that resolute answer.

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3609 posts) -

Well, it's Mario Kart.

#6 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8769 posts) -

It's a tough call, but Mario Kart has a powerful brand and the most fun Arcade Racer of our time. Heck, Mario Kart DS helped sold ton of DS in the winter and Mario Kart Wii was a high selling Wii title. What are the sales and attach ratio of Mario Kart 7?

#7 Edited by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

It's a tough call, but Mario Kart has a powerful brand and the most fun Arcade Racer of our time. Heck, Mario Kart DS helped sold ton of DS in the winter and Mario Kart Wii was a high selling Wii title. What are the sales and attach ratio of Mario Kart 7?

~10 million MK7s for ~43 million 3DSs.

#8 Posted by 35cent (916 posts) -

Mario Kart is popular so there's a chance. Super Mario 3D World didn't help the Wii U all that much (to my estimation) so it's not a dead cert.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@35cent said:

Mario Kart is popular so there's a chance. Super Mario 3D World didn't help the Wii U all that much (to my estimation) so it's not a dead cert.

3D Mario games have not been a system seller since 1996, though, so it was never going to, to be fair.

#10 Posted by 35cent (916 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@35cent said:

3D Mario games have not been a system seller since 1996, though, so it was never going to, to be fair.

That's news to me. I always assumed they sold consoles like hot cakes. Oh well assumptions can be wrong I guess.

#11 Edited by trugs26 (5554 posts) -

Hm. Yes, I think so. Just because you can play Titanfall on two other platforms as well. Further, people can play other popular shooters until Titanfall 2 comes out for PS4.

Wii U needs more help, so MK8 will probably make more of an impact. There isn't much out there like Mario Kart.

#12 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6205 posts) -

I'll be definitely interested to see the figures when they comes out of MK8/Wii U sales... Will be interesting to see.

#13 Edited by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

No, it will be a couple weeks of increased sales, then back to normal weekly sales.

#14 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -

Titanfal helped a little in the UK allowing Bone to outsell PS4 for a little while. Otherwise it did nothing, what a hilarious waste of hype and energy. I would hope so, for Nintendo's sake.

#15 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9620 posts) -

I think so. Mario Kart has a lot more commercial weight on it as a long established popular IP. It's also only on the Wii-U, while TitanFall is also on the PC and 360.

#16 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

wii u is dead, nothing can save it.

#17 Posted by nethernova (4107 posts) -

Bought a Wii for Mario Kart, will buy Wii U for Mario Kart.

#18 Edited by RR360DD (11979 posts) -

Wii U needs the help a lot more, so yeah. Established IP vs New IP.

Plus Titanfall isn't even exclusive which would have dampened its ability to move XOnes.

#19 Posted by Kashiwaba (7407 posts) -

Bone didn't need much help but Wii u needs it

#20 Edited by AznbkdX (3220 posts) -

Yeah I could hazard a guess that it would help more. TF might have done wonders if it was only exclusive to X1.

If it would help enough to get everything rolling again for awhile... probably not. I'm hoping it will have some legs for awhile at the very least, even if the sales might be pretty bad.

#21 Edited by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

That's not hard to beat. Titan fall wasn't capable of giving them a month over sony. This will put the wiiu back on the map, but for how long is the real question.

#22 Posted by wolverine4262 (19379 posts) -

The X1 needs help?

#23 Edited by AznbkdX (3220 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

The X1 needs help?

Eh I don't think so? I'm actually wondering this myself since I haven't been on this sales war crap for awhile now.

I'm just guessing that people are saying this stuff just because it is failing to gain traction like the PS4, even if its not doing too badly overall. Then again that depends on what you consider are the parameters for doing well.

#24 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

Only if it's as awesome as MKDS, which it won't be.

#25 Posted by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

Yes it will.

#26 Posted by illmatic87 (15283 posts) -

Nope.

I dont feel compelled to buy the system to play a lolMarioKart game.

#27 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

The X1 needs help?

Its getting outsold 3:1 by the PS4 since the new year started and there is no reason for anyone to buy it this year. Every multiplat is better on PS4 and Xbone has no compelling exclusives until Quantum Break and Halo 5 both of which got delayed to next year. Its lost every bit of marketshare 360 had and falling behind an additional 600k+ consoles in WW sales to PS4 every month.

The 800k-1 million unsold shipped Xbones that didn't sell in March when Titanfall was still considered "hot" and were discounted by $50 are not going to sell anytime soon.

#28 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Hard to say. But I doubt it.

#29 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

Nope.

You have a PVZ avatar. lawd

#30 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

Titanfall did little, but was also a multiplatform new IP. The expectations were out of line with reality.

I don't see MK8 doing much better or worse than that for the WiiU. It doesn't fix any problem consumers have with the WiiU (unless their big complaint was lack of a native MK), and Nintendo's own very modest sales projections for next year says they. Don't expect much of a windfall from MK and Smash combined over what they sold last year without either. I do think it will sell well to existing members, but giving a game away for each purchase has that effect on most titles.

The "system seller" moniker is over used, and the effect of such games is misunderstood. The biggest MK, Smash, Mario, and Zelda fans already bought into the platform, because it's Nintendo and we all knew each would appear on the platform. The only thing that's going to bring casual holdouts to the system in numbers is a steep price cut.

#31 Posted by illmatic87 (15283 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@illmatic87 said:

Nope.

You have a PVZ avatar. lawd

So? I happen to like the game.

#32 Edited by freedomfreak (40883 posts) -
@illmatic87 said:

So? I happen to like the game.

It's adorable, although I prefer the wall nut myself.

#33 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

Yes. Unlike TitanFall, MK8 is an exclusive and myself would buy a Wii U just to play MK8.

#34 Posted by GamingGod999 (3002 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

No, it will be a couple weeks of increased sales, then back to normal weekly sales.

#35 Posted by Nike_Air (18334 posts) -

I guess this is the NA TV ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p4PBv2r-qg

#36 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -
@Nike_Air said:

Reminds me of this commercial.

#37 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9620 posts) -
@Nike_Air said:

Not a bad commercial at all. I like how it emphasizes the addition of anti-gravity in the Mario Kart series.

#38 Posted by princeofshapeir (14259 posts) -

Yes, and SSB4 will help even more

#39 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

I think it will based on how well Mario Kart Wii sold, and if Nintendo markets it appropriately people will buy it. I think SSB4 will have the most impact, but I really don't know why they are releasing the 3DS first, oh well

#40 Edited by lamprey263 (24130 posts) -

I imagine it'll sell well on the Wii U, but I'm not certain if it'll sell a whole lot of Wii Us. Nintendo has a good promotion going on though, pick up the game or the bundle within a month of release and register it to a Club Nintendo account and get a free download code for Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, or Super Mario/Luigi U. I think if more people were aware of that it might help sell some more units of the game and maybe the console, but Nintendo's advertising is pretty much non-existent outside its own website. At the very least, that's something they can inform retailers about in an email blast to slap some sticker on the display box, "get an extra downloadable title" and such, let them handle that.

#41 Posted by tdkmillsy (1399 posts) -

Course it will

But Halo 5 will help Xbox One more

Titanfall is new IP it will take time get the following Mario Kart have. Even I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for it.

#42 Posted by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

I don't see why not.