Will Marvel ever has it's "Arkham" quility game?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Edited By uninspiredcup

Poll Will Marvel ever has it's "Arkham" quility game? (30 votes)

Yes 10%
Activision, no 90%

My friends. After recently seeing the new Xman: Days Or Future Pasts trailer. I was thinking about video games. Marvel, (IMHO) has vastly superior and more interesting characters than DC. DC has, Batman, Superman, and the rest. who nobody gives a **** about. Agree?

Do you think Marvel will ever wake up at some point and start putting out "Arkham" quality games? Or will we continue to get shit put out primarily by Activision?

• 
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Very few games in general reach Batman Arkham quality so I feel it's highly unlikely that a Marvel game will reach that level.

I'm much more of a DC comics man myself, but I still really enjoy X-men and would love a really good X-men game in the future.

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@brucebenzing said:

At least Marvel is trying to make movies. Amazing Spiderman 2, Days of Future Past and Captain America Winter Soldier look good. Guardians will probably be a flop, What is DC giving you? Last years Man of Steel was a joke and you get to look forward to Ben Aflake as Batman . Also the 3rd Dark Knight movie wasn't that great.

DC is giving me:

• Great comics (isn't the New 52 line universally well received?)
  • Great TV (watch Arrow. It shames Agents of SHIELD, and is a darn good TV show in its own right)
  • Great games (where is Marvel's Batman: Arkham again?)
  • Great, albeit inconsistent, movies (The Dark Knight Trilogy was great; Man of Steel was a bust, but I do have high hopes from Batman vs Superman, they seem to be getting a lot right)

Meanwhile, all of Marvel's phase two movies so far have been disappointing- Iron Man 3 makes the entire Tony Stark storyline redundant, Thor 2 was great, but underwhelming after the first one, although Captain America 2 admittedly looks great. Marvels's TV show sucks, and their comic line is stuck in a rut. Also, Marvel's video games are a joke.

How can you say great movies when 2 of the Dark Knight movies were OK, the Green Lantern movie was a major joke, and Man of Steel was garbage. That's 40%. As far as TV goes the last 2 episodes of Agents has picked it up and Arrow..really? That show would of been cancelled on any other network besides the CW and yes I have watched it .

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@lostrib:

True but they still sucked :P

In fact the only Marvel movies that weren't meh-horrible are Ironman 1, X-Men First Class, Avengers, Thor 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man.

My freind, a Metal Gear Solid avatar makes you far from criticizing movies since these are essentially the worst movies ever made. Any leaps in Nolans work is but a grain of sand compared to Kojima's long ponderous pretentious nonsense. Bannana's in Pajama's is better written. With better theme tune to boot that isn't plagiarized like pretty much everything in Metal Gear solids.

Your shyt threads and posts null and voids any criticism you might have, so try again.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The wolverine game was good. They should build on the franchise. Activision does not help, they either come up with shit or Call of Duty (a turd itself).

Imagine Platinum making one, without all the weird japanese shit, would be great.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ballroompirate

@Masculus said:

The wolverine game was good. They should build on the franchise. Activision does not help, they either come up with shit or Call of Duty (a turd itself).

Imagine Platinum making one, without all the weird japanese shit, would be great.

It would need more Wolverine-Senpai and some Rogue-Kun

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

I always wonder this, Marvel has huge potential they could do x men games set out like arkham city, it's ridiculous. Marvel just suck in the gaming world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@brucebenzing said:

@charizard1605 said:

@brucebenzing said:

At least Marvel is trying to make movies. Amazing Spiderman 2, Days of Future Past and Captain America Winter Soldier look good. Guardians will probably be a flop, What is DC giving you? Last years Man of Steel was a joke and you get to look forward to Ben Aflake as Batman . Also the 3rd Dark Knight movie wasn't that great.

DC is giving me:

• Great TV (watch Arrow. It shames Agents of SHIELD, and is a darn good TV show in its own right)
  • Great, albeit inconsistent, movies (The Dark Knight Trilogy was great; Man of Steel was a bust, but I do have high hopes from Batman vs Superman, they seem to be getting a lot right)

Meanwhile, all of Marvel's phase two movies so far have been disappointing- Iron Man 3 makes the entire Tony Stark storyline redundant, Thor 2 was great, but underwhelming after the first one, although Captain America 2 admittedly looks great. Marvels's TV show sucks, and their comic line is stuck in a rut. Also, Marvel's video games are a joke.

How can you say great movies when 2 of the Dark Knight movies were OK, the Green Lantern movie was a major joke, and Man of Steel was garbage. That's 40%. As far as TV goes the last 2 episodes of Agents has picked it up and Arrow..really? That show would of been cancelled on any other network besides the CW and yes I have watched it .

Have you watched Arrow beyond, I don't know, the first six episodes?

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 hehe101

Marvel will always have the better movies than games compared to DC imo.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Yup I was that one yes only because of the X-men Legends, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Wolverine Origins game. If they could just pull together the right story and gameplay together and make it as good as the Arkham series then yes.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

The last good Marvel game was Xmen: Mutant Apocalypse on SNES... they're about due for another good one I'd say!

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

@charizard1605:

Daredevil/Moon Knight/Hawkeye/etc >>> DC's Batman focused line-up.

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BruceBenzing

@charizard1605 said:

@brucebenzing said:

@charizard1605 said:

@brucebenzing said:

DC is giving me:

Have you watched Arrow beyond, I don't know, the first six episodes?

As I said, Arrow on a major network would of been cancelled last year. You keep forgetting to put IMHO in front of everything . There is a reason why Marvel movies are a hot commodity and DeCeased's aren't.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#64 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Marvel Heroes might be the closest thing

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605:

People who actually think Arrow is a bad show are the people who haven't even watched it, their opinions on it are null and void.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Justice League or bust

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

they don't need one, they have something even better.

Captain America: Super Soldier

GREATEST. SUPER HERO GAME. NA.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Spiderman 2

/thread

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Nope. DC>Marvel.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

im trying to think what character to use (note: i dont follow the comics).

character like thor and the hulk have the same problem as superman in terms of games...they are, to all intents and purposes, gods. they should not have a health bar. they should be able to jump/fly where they want. the environment needs to be very very destructible.

if i was building a game for these characters it would involve trying to save people and minimising the damage (its no good for thor/superman to beat their enemy if they end up wiping out most of the populace and sending the rest back to the stone age in the process...not very heroic :P). could be an interesting game mind. sure you can beat 300 foot goliath in the middle of the city.....but try do it and keep casualties and damage to a minimum. but these characters should never die from thug with crowbar. the crowbar should break off their face.

hulk is really hard because when you are playing as bruce the player will always want to be the hulk. always play as the hulk and, from a gaming perspective, its going to boil down to SMASH. i dont recall the hulk ever sitting back for a think to solve a problem. there is a fun GTA4 mod for the hulk though :P.

there have been some decent spiderman games and they have tried to capture it....but it hasnt quite worked yet. worth trying again though on newer hardware (i rememebr the wii got an awful time for its version of spiderman early last gen....ah memories).

captain america would be better suited. not a god but good in combat. both his physical prowess and his skills with the shield are upgradeable.....that opens up options for the gameplay. ranged combat (guns and the shield), clever level design and puzzles could all be built around his abilities.

i dont know enough about black widow....she seems to be just a human who is very skilled in hand to hand combat and manipulating people. could make for the basis of an interesting RPG perhaps...but not so good for something like arkham.

at the end of the day though the same rule applies....build a great game first then have the IP make that great game even better. strip all the batman stuff out of AA and you still have a cracking metroidvania type game. strip all the star wars from KOTOR and its still a very enjoyable RPG. im not a big star wars fan but i still love KOTOR.

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BruceBenzing

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

People who actually think Arrow is a bad show are the people who haven't even watched it, their opinions on it are null and void.

Nice irrelevant knee jerk response. Heck if it wasn't for Supernatural and Tomorrow People CW would just be another skip over on my cable TV.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

There is no Marvel character with the layered nuances or subtext of Batman, so no.

Pffh. Iron Man/Tony Stark more than qualifies. His run with alcoholism alone sets him up there with Batman for "layered nuances [and] subtext" (what the **** is this exactly?).

As for the topic, I doubt it, Marvel cannot even keep up with DC's quality of comics anymore. They'd need to hire Rocksteady (who I assume have an exclusive contract with WB/DC) to get something even close.

"Next-gen" demands an Arkham City quality Iron Man, Thor or Captain America game.

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 BruceBenzing

@foxhound_fox said:

@charizard1605 said:

There is no Marvel character with the layered nuances or subtext of Batman, so no.

Pffh. Iron Man/Tony Stark more than qualifies. His run with alcoholism alone sets him up there with Batman for "layered nuances [and] subtext" (what the **** is this exactly?).

As for the topic, I doubt it, Marvel cannot even keep up with DC's quality of comics anymore. They'd need to hire Rocksteady (who I assume have an exclusive contract with WB/DC) to get something even close.

"Next-gen" demands an Arkham City quality Iron Man, Thor or Captain America game.

No the reason why it works for Batman is, if you take away all of his resources and equipment, he has nothing and wouldn't be able to survive. As good as AA was it did have major gameplay flaws. So I have to play the game and get experience to give Batman abilities he already had to begin with.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Nope, they will never get their "Arkham" None of the Marvel characters even come remotely close to Batman. As a game, I don't see which ones are possible. Iron Man, Hulk, X-men, Spiderman etc are all a big no.

Thor COULD work, if Sony Santa Monica purchased the rights and made a god of war-esque game with Thor and the Norse gods, then again Thor would be Kratos' bitch so maybe not...

As far as I'm considered Marvel doesn't have their "Dark Knight" movie yet either. The Avengers was probably on par with TDK:R or Batman Begins, but definitely no where near The Dark Knight (#6 on the IMDB list for a reason)

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By hehe101

@The_Last_Ride said:

So sad if this is the truth. MH is good but compared to arkham lol

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Plausible but games nowadays are becoming dark and edgier. Which is more or less good.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Marvel have been lending thier characters to the wrong developers

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#78 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@hehe101 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So sad if this is the truth. MH is good but compared to arkham lol

I can't really say anything else. Maybe Deadpool or the Spiderman game? They're ok, but nowhere near the quality of the Batman games or even DC Universe Online

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#79  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Personally, I'd rather play as Magneeto than Wolverine. The deadpool game wasn't as bad as people made out. It was simply "ok".

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#80 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Nope don't agree. Marvel's characters are more popular, but not superior. If that's how it works then the Wii was superior to 360/PS3, Justin Bieber is a modern day Mozart. Sounds like you only read whats popular. And that days of future past casting is horrendous. Anybody see Quicksilver?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#81 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Yangire said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Nope! Marvel has shit characters.

@charizard1605 said:

(X-Men would come very close, but because it is divested into so many characters, I doubt it would translate as well to a video game, which typically can only follow one, maybe two, character(s) at a time)

People who have no experience with Marvel comics.

Same can be said about TC and his opinion of DC characters. So Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Teen Titans, the Justice League have had series running for decades because nobody cares about them?

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

Before Arkham Asylum the same thing was said.

Ofcoarse it can happen, it just needs a passionate team of developers.

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

The problem with a Marvel - Activision game right now isn't Activision, honestly. It's Disney.

The truth is that before Batman Arkham Asylum rocked the industry, we were getting incredible non-movie games from Activision for years. We saw the release of the excellent X-Men Legends series, which lead directly to an early gem last generation with Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Not much longer after that, Disney acquired Marvel, and the output after that is easily traced.

Disney is very protective of its properties, and they give VERY little leeway in creative freedom for outside forces. Do you think that if it was Rocksteady working with Marvel, that they'd have had the freedom with any Marvel character that Rocksteady was given with Batman? Absolutely not. Not only that, but Disney just doesn't see the value in releasing a videogame that can't tie into a movie or other transmedia effort they have going on at the moment.

The only Marvel characters Disney would even be willing to let a videogame touch are those who they don't currently retain the film rights to. We are way more likely to get an X-men game, Fantastic Four game, or a Spider-man game (we just got X-Men Legacy and are getting a new Spidey game this year) than ever seeing any character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe appear in a videogame that was designed by an outside creative team.

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

The one thing I enjoy about these movies is when they are called unrealistic, they take play in another reality were what happens in the movie happens on there earth, sure you can say this is how you make everything fit, but it works, most people like to nitpick, stupidily yes, but then again welcome to the real world

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Would be hard. Disney has indicated they are only interested in cheap social and mobile games. Anything else would have to be made by 3rd party publisher, but there quality control would be impossible for Marvel.

Plus Batman was pretty unique. There's nobody in Marvel universe who has this nice setting, such amazing gallery of villains and also has works in a way that's easy to translate into videogame.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I always found Marvel to be a more colourful and fun comic world,

While as DC is alot more gritty and serious.

But video game development for both comes down to has the rights and what they plan, I mean Rocksteady have gone a different way and put out games which are more closesly involved in the comics, and marvel have put out games which more delve into the movie side of things,

all I want is a good superman game which actually feel likes i'm super man, it's needs to be handle with such care which it never is.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

@charizard1605 The Dark Knight trilogy is the most overrated series of movies of all time. The last movie had me dozing off as they ruined Bane and set a large portion of the film in a prison hole where your Lord and Savior Bruce Wayne recovers from a critical spinal injury likes it's not even a thing.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Best superhero movies: Batman

Best licensed superhero video games: Batman

Best superhero comics: Batman

Best superhero: Batman

Coincidence???

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Hello.....X-men legends? That was a superb game and the combat was way better (and varied) than the Arkham games.

Also:

Spiderman 2

Spiderman 2 the sinister six ( If I could get this game on 3ds vc I would die)

Marvel > DC

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Probably not. That said though, i think the only thing marvel games need is an Ultimate Alliance 3.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I don't think there is a superhero out there that it would be impossible to make a good game for, except maybe Aquaman.