SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Or will it be like Mario and last forever and ever and ever? Even though there is a lot of competition these days in FPS, it somehow manages to sell millions. Halo is dying.. will Call of Duty? I ask you SW, on this episode of Solid Asks.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Who knows? The Flying Spaghetti Monster does.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Its on its way, I think despite strong sales the people are starting to sour towards it somewhat. Creating similar games on the same engine every single year is a good way to put some folks off.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

They are going to Space! So, never!

I'm not a COD fan.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Yes it will It is already dying

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@always_explicit said:

Its on its way

@unrealgunner said:

Black Ops 3 is the best selling and best received game in the series in years. 'Already dying' is wishful thinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@always_explicit said:

Its on its way

@unrealgunner said:

Black Ops 3 is the best selling and best received game in the series in years. 'Already dying' is wishful thinking.

Many gamers live in this imaginary world where COD is dying, sports games suck, Nintendo games are for kids and playing Fallout and The Witcher makes you "hardcore."

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

CoD is doing phenomenal in sales. i know people that only buy CoD with the season pass and only play that until the next version comes out. Activision would be stupid to stop making them. Isn't it the best selling game year after year since 2009? The franchise has sold over 250 million units. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

If this new game doesn't do well, they will transition back to the MW or AW formula.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Nope because everyone likes saying Duty...

:P

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Call of Duty should hopefully be losing steam soon but at this rate I want to say no. This series went from World War 1 to some far way of in the distance (But at this rate North Korea actually may make it happen in real life) sci-fi war stuff.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I hope not.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

CoD is doing phenomenal in sales. i know people that only buy CoD with the season pass and only play that until the next version comes out. Activision would be stupid to stop making them. Isn't it the best selling game year after year since 2009? The franchise has sold over 250 million units. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

If this new game doesn't do well, they will transition back to the MW or AW formula.

COD has been the best selling game every year since 2009 in the U.S. with the exception of 2013 when GTA V launched. Last year there were 2 different COD games in the NPD top 10. How anyone can say the series is "dying" is beyond me. And these same people will praise MGS V or Bloodborne sales numbers... This place is nuts.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

@quatoe said:

R'amen

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

I personally love call of duty. Is it perfect.....no. Not many games are. It depends on preference. Not everyone is into COD. I don't understandthe hate. If you don't like it, Don't buy it. Simple as that.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@iambatman7986 said:

COD has been the best selling game every year since 2009 in the U.S. with the exception of 2013 when GTA V launched. Last year there were 2 different COD games in the NPD top 10. How anyone can say the series is "dying" is beyond me. And these same people will praise MGS V or Bloodborne sales numbers... This place is nuts.

Just another example of how deluded the vocal minority can be on the internet. This is why dislikes on a youtube video means nothing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'm sure they'll just constantly adapt, though i've not played one in years, so it's tough to comment.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

nope, even if it drops in sells big time it's still going to make a killing.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

It's nowhere near dying, but it's not selling close to where it was selling at it's peak. A typical cod game has sold between 15 million and 20 million+ this gen. Last gen cod games have been able to sell 20+ million easily and 25+ million in some cases.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Eventually. I think CoD has lost a lot of its momentum in recent years and no longer is the driving force it once was. It's also now up against far more competition than ever before.

It won't die soon, but it'll eventually fade into being irrelevant.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I don't see it.

People don't play it cause they like what the SP or extra mode is, it's the e-sport part.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@terminalyinsane said:

I personally love call of duty. Is it perfect.....no. Not many games are. It depends on preference. Not everyone is into COD. I don't understandthe hate. If you don't like it, Don't buy it. Simple as that.

People hate the derivative/iterative nature that Activation has taken it.

I don't think people hate the mechanics of the game, but certainly I'm beyond tired with the Michael Bay stupid level stories the campaigns have gone towards, and the fact it comes out EVERY year has caused me to say... "enough". It also seems that Activision has not invested much back into the game engine, as it's basically the same thing every time (same game engine, same dumb bullet sponge friendly AI, etc).

I guess there are still people that buy it every year? Or are they just finding new kids to sell to? It's felt like to me the interest is dying as far as it being a "must own" game. But I felt that after Black Ops...but I think it was Ghosts that just destroyed my interest in the game. For me the franchise had become "generic", but Ghosts was legitimately bad.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@quatoe said:

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Call of duty is the best shooter ever made, it will live forever and we all love it !!!

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

@2Chalupas: I can agree Ghosts was bad.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@terminalyinsane said:

COD touched haters in their private parts when children, that´s why they hate it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
@2Chalupas said:
@terminalyinsane said:

People hate the derivative/iterative nature that Activation has taken it.

I don't think people hate the mechanics of the game, but certainly I'm beyond tired with the Michael Bay stupid level stories the campaigns have gone towards, and the fact it comes out EVERY year has caused me to say... "enough". It also seems that Activision has not invested much back into the game engine, as it's basically the same thing every time (same game engine, same dumb bullet sponge friendly AI, etc).

I guess there are still people that buy it every year? Or are they just finding new kids to sell to? It's felt like to me the interest is dying as far as it being a "must own" game. But I felt that after Black Ops...but I think it was Ghosts that just destroyed my interest in the game. For me the franchise had become "generic", but Ghosts was legitimately bad.

True but there are like a 100 reasons to hate on it. PC online being f'd. Promised dedicated servers that were worse than p2p connections... The reviewers giving them a free pass on so many fronts whereas other series got marked down for being iterative or having bad spawns or having bad online code or the infinite enemy spawns and the invisible walls you'd run into left and right. Franchises were CODified because this series, which wasn't anything special quality wise, sold so many copies. Not because it was good and deserved it, but it had I think the largest marketing budget ever. The campaigns that were PRAISED but weren't anything good like we had seen in the past. They didn't think through the killstreak system and how that should create an interesting game. Before LoL the COD playerbase was probably the most toxic playerbase I had ever seen. And the media advertising these players as if they're FPS God. The DLC pricing was so bad. Oh, man.

This is all past tense because I haven't really given COD a chance anymore the past few years. But man this series had problems. Oh so many big problems and it didn't matter. It was like quality was 100% worthless. Skill? Fake it. PR? Just lie to your fans. Doesn't matter. And treating your employees right? 100% meaningless. It was like this series and the animals behind it were trying to wreck any goodwill in this industry, lowering every standard. What franchises does Activision have left these days? They used to be big. I mean games wise not sales wise. On top of that this is also when I, and probably many people with me, realized that modern gaming journalists did not play PC games anymore. They had no clue about PC standards or upcoming releases and used fake PC reviews.

Let's just say there were many ways to get pissed off about COD, and everything it touched. And maybe that was part of the strategy because it worked. They beat the system by throwing a whole lot of money at a pretty ok game. The reviewers were the real let down for me. There were a couple years where they pretty much neglected PC and Nintendo gamers. And most still haven't recovered from that.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7269 Posts

@terminalyinsane said:

I do have to agree that the hate is over the top, but avoiding CoD isn't as simple as "Don't buy it". Part of the reason people hate it so much is that it's crazy success got the whole industry trying to copy the formula. Even Final Fantasy 13 looked to CoD for inspiration. Many blame the series for wrecking a whole generation of games.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

There is very little in the way of "good" multiplayer shooters on consoles, so I doubt it'll die anytime soon as long as they keep doing what they're doing. The only good alternative is Halo 5 which is exclusive, and does not live up to the Halo games of old.

On PC CoD is pretty dead. Last I checked it wasn't even in the top 25 most played games on Steam.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think it will eventually, but it's going to take a long time. They're going to space, which means they're running out of ideas. But who knows? Maybe it will last forever and it's just wishful thinking on my part that the predominant genre in gaming will stop being dull as **** military shooters.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@beardmad said:

There is very little in the way of "good" multiplayer shooters on consoles, so I doubt it'll die anytime soon as long as they keep doing what they're doing. The only good alternative is Halo 5 which is exclusive, and does not live up to the Halo games of old.

On PC CoD is pretty dead. Last I checked it wasn't even in the top 25 most played games on Steam.

currently #27 that's just sad, and barely reaching 1mil owners, nice decline since mw2

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Well, it would be nice if it finally did, but I doubt it.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@clone01: Haha haha.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

No. Look at people's bad reaction to Infinite Warfare and how they're gonna stick it to Activision by paying $80 for the game, redeeming the COD4:MW code and then selling the game back to GameStop for $30 to $45 (depending on trade offers and/or use of coupons to boost trade). Yeah, buy their game, way to stick it to them, I'm sure they're shaking in their boots. I mean, consumers would be out anywhere between $35-50 just for COD4:MW, and Activision is making money regardless if people sell it back to GameStop or not. Plus, I don't think either GameStop or Activision are idiots about this either, they're probably going to make it require disc presence to play. And let's get real, people who love COD like that won't be doing this, they're gonna buy Infinite Warfare, they're gonna spend the next year playing it, hell they'll likely buy all the DLC for it. If they're selling it, they'll sell it in a year or two for $10. They're suckers for it, and this next game will just go to show everyone who Activision's bitch is.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

I wouldn't hate on it so much if it used a different engine

Since the OG Call of Duty in 2003, they've been using a shitty modified quake 3 engine.. with very little upgrades

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@always_explicit said:

Its on its way

@unrealgunner said:

Amazing how out of touch with the real world market some here are, huh?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@always_explicit said:

Its on its way

@unrealgunner said:

Amazing how out of touch with the real world market some here are, huh?

well it's going downhill on PC and has been for a long time, so it's not not totally incorrect

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

BF1 already killed it

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#38 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

The faster, the better.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes,,, one day when most Human brains will evolve and become smarter.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

As long as millions keep buying these games, Call of Duty won't die. Personally, I'm tired of Call of Duty.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Not anytime soon I would think. This game is almost like a sports title with its annual releases, so it would be like asking is the Fifa sports series I going to die out ...maybe one day, but not today

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Haven't touched a cod game since the first blops. Haven't had an urge to follow any of them... I like SP games and cod SP is too short and repetetive to invest 60 in.

Buuut.... Now that a dozen cod games have come and gone since I last played one, I'm actually interested again to a degree...

But who am I kidding. I'm not buying the game.

I don't know if it'll last forever and I don't personally care because it isn't a franchise that scratches an itch any longer... But I say live and let live. Maybe it's just one of those games that newbs play for a while and move on.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It won't anytime soon, that's for sure.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@the_master_race said:

BF1 already killed it

didnot battlefield bad company 2 "killed" MW2?

didnot BF3 "killed" MW3

and now BF1 will "kill" COD IW

we have been hearing this since last 5 years. COD will never dead. activision will release every year, more new developer will work on COD for activision

BF is no better than COD. its COD with vehicles, destruction and slightly more tactical.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Not any time soon. I bet it will be the top selling game this year again in the US.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Not when its selling a billion dollars every year...who knows what the cutoff level is, but is seems to still be going strong.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Sometimes i really dont understand the CoD haters smh

I mean if you dont like CoD then plz gtfo and dont buy it, millions and millions others will support the franchise so your support is not needed in the slightest.

The franchise is FUN to millions of gamers.. you know, "fun" the thing we all became gamers because of, ya know to have fun??

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Sometimes i really dont understand the CoD haters smh

I mean if you dont like CoD then plz gtfo and dont buy it, millions and millions others will support the franchise so your support is not needed in the slightest.

The franchise is FUN to millions of gamers.. you know, "fun" the thing we all became gamers because of, ya know to have fun??

Because it influences other devs who want the same success and try to imitate it

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

In space. Soon to have procedural worlds or some batshit. But it will die. Not today, not the next 3 but it will die.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

There's a reason why "Infinite Warfare" is named "Infinite"