WiiU - focus on 1st party?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

With all the news about 3rd party support declining on that system and generally low interest for late or downscaled ports from other systems (some might disagree with me but that's their opinion), do you think Nintendo should rather focus on building a strong 1st party instead of trying to get the 3rd parties aboard?

The way I'm thinking is that they have a lot of talented and creative studios under their umbrella that would be willing to showcase their talents and cause gamer's attention.

For example, Retro Studios, who are well-known and respected developer and good at making 1st person shooter-type games and platformers.

So why not give them the chance to make a new 1st person shooter with adventure elements and a multi-player component?

Or a new 3D platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie or a successor to Donkey Kong 64?

Sony is doing a new 3D platformer (Knack), so why not Nintendo?

Platformers were always the genre this company was the strongest at and more of them is never bad.

The FPS game could be very good too, outmatching MS' Halo and Sony's KillZone series in terms of gameplay and artistic design.

Then, there are Intelligent Systems who are very good at turn-based strategy games.

The genre might not be terribly popular, but if done well it can be great.

So why not make Advance Wars for the WiiU?

It seems like a perfect idea in regards to the controller.

Hal Laboratory is known to handle Kirby and Pokemon games well - why not a high-quality Pokemon game for WiiU?

I can't remember back when a Nintendo home system had a good Pokemon game. (oh wait, I do - the Pokemon Stadium games on the N64)

Platinum Games expressed their wish to work on Star Fox for WiiU - why not give it to them?

They are a high-calibre developer and could make a fantastic Star Fox game that would re-ignite interest in the series.

Shin'en made Fast: Racing League on Wiiware, a very solid F-Zero-like futuristic racer - why not give them the F-Zero franchise and the chance to make a "full-blown" game?

There is a real shortage of futuristic racers out there and the F-Zero franchise is just too good to drop it.

Camelot Software are great RPG developers - why not a new Golden Sun?

The Mario sports games are good and all, but this is a waste of talent, imho.

I think what Nintendo now needs for the WiiU is, more than ever, quality and attractive 1st party and exclusive games.

Now, of course we all have a different definition of what exactly constitutes those, but I think we can all agree that more, diverse, exclusive, games, that you can't play anywhere else would be a good outlook for the system.

A very strong 1st party is what Nintendo didn't have all since the N64 and building a team of very talented developers who make fresh, exciting games might be just the thing that the system needs to boost sales.

What does SW think?

Should Nintendo "just forget" about the 3rd party cross-platform support and focus on it's own, 1st party teams and collaborators?

Discuss.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

With all the news about 3rd party support declining on that system and generally low interest for late or downscaled ports from other systems (some might disagree with me but that's their opinion), do you think Nintendo should rather focus on building a strong 1st party instead of trying to get the 3rd parties aboard?

The way I'm thinking is that they have a lot of talented and creative studios under their umbrella that would be willing to showcase their talents and cause gamer's attention.

For example, Retro Studios, who are well-known and respected developer and good at making 1st person shooter-type games and platformers.

So why not give them the chance to make a new 1st person shooter with adventure elements and a multi-player component?

Or a new 3D platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie or a successor to Donkey Kong 64?

Platformers were always the genre this company was the strongest at and more of them is never bad.

The FPS game could be very good too, outmatching MS' Halo and Sony's KillZone series in terms of gameplay and artistic design.

Then, there are Intelligent Systems who are very good at turn-based strategy games.

Hal Laboratory is known to handle Kirby and Pokemon games well - why not a high-quality Pokemon game for WiiU?

I can't remember back when a Nintendo home system had a good Pokemon game. (oh wait, I do - the Pokemon Stadium games on the N64)

Platinum Games expressed their wish to work on Star Fox for WiiU - why not give it to them?

They are a high-calibre developer and could make a fantastic Star Fox game that would re-ignite interest in the series.

Shin'en made Fast: Racing League on Wiiware, a very solid F-Zero-like futuristic racer - why not give them the F-Zero franchise and the chance to make a "full-blown" game?

There is a real shortage of futuristic racers out there and the F-Zero franchise is just too good to drop it.

I think what Nintendo now needs for the WiiU is, more than ever, quality and attractive 1st party and exclusive games.

Now, of course we all have a different definition of what exactly constitutes those, but I think we can all agree that more, diverse, exclusive, games, that you can't play anywhere else would be a good outlook for the system.

A very strong 1st party is what Nintendo didn't have all since the N64 and building a team of very talented developers who make fresh, exciting games might be just the thing that the system needs to boost sales.

What does SW think?

Should Nintendo "just forget" about the 3rd party cross-platform support and focus on it's own, 1st party teams and collaborators?

Discuss.

nameless12345

F*** no! Even with the VERY limited third party support the past systems (N64, GameCube, Wii) got, they still made the libraries interesting. A library with literally NO third party support is boring as hell. I love Ninty as much as the next guy, but no...

As long as it's good and appeals to me, I'll take it.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

What does SW think?

Discuss.

nintendoboy16

F*** no! Even with the VERY limited third party support the past systems (N64, GameCube, Wii) got, they still made the libraries interesting. A library with literally NO third party support is boring as hell. I love Ninty as much as the next guy, but no...

I think Nintendo screwed up a little when they didn't recruit some of the very talented 3rd party devs on the N64 into their ranks.

I mean, companies like Factor 5, Sucker Punch, Boss Studios, Iguana (Retro are a off-shot of them), Treasure, Paradigm, ect. could form a very strong, exclusive 1st party for Nintendo, making games that would please all types of gamers.

And loosing Rare was just sad...

But the way I see it they currently have a lot of talent under their umbrella too.

It's just "under-utilized", imo.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Good lord, I thought I was reading a MK64fan post.

Dude, 3rd party will be on WiiU. It just won't be Big name titles. (and even if Big name titles hit the WiiU it'll be few and far between.)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345

Dude, 3rd party will be on WiiU. It just won't be Big name titles. (and even if Big name titles hit the WiiU it'll be few and far between.)

LegatoSkyheart

Well, the 3rd party games on Ninty's platforms never made anyone actually cheer.

A "realistic" Zelda, however, managed that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Nintendo Always has 3rd party support it's just not as big.....

For Example they made Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. Every now and then they make games for it.. it's just usually not one of the big companies but they're still there. I'm honestly tired of Mario and Zelda.. only interesting IP from nintendo to me is Metroid but they don't seem to like making games for it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Dude, 3rd party will be on WiiU. It just won't be Big name titles. (and even if Big name titles hit the WiiU it'll be few and far between.)nameless12345
 Well, the 3rd party games on Ninty's platforms never made anyone actually cheer.A "realistic" Zelda, however, managed that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

There hasn't been a Game since then to ever do that to my knowledge.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

nameless12345

Well, the 3rd party games on Ninty's platforms never made anyone actually cheer.

A "realistic" Zelda, however, managed that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

I hope nobody feels offended by what i'm about to say but looking at that video made me feel ashamed I play video games and i should focus on more productive things in my life like maybe if i read more books i would have found the cure for AIDS or something..

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Dude, 3rd party will be on WiiU. It just won't be Big name titles. (and even if Big name titles hit the WiiU it'll be few and far between.)LegatoSkyheart

Well, the 3rd party games on Ninty's platforms never made anyone actually cheer.A "realistic" Zelda, however, managed that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

There hasn't been a Game since then to ever do that to my knowledge.

And exactly that is the problem.

People haven't really been "wow man, Nintendo rocks!" all since the late 90s.

They have the power to impress everyone but they choose not to or so it seems...