Why wouldnt Microsoft just make more Kinects to meet demand?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ultratechfan
Member since 2010 • 92 Posts
It is absolutely impossible to get Kinect in the States, Im currently on craigslist looking at someone posting this Kinect for 185 and im thinking about calling. I called about 8 gamestops, 8 targets, you name it, nowhere to be found. IS this intentional by Microsoft to get people to buy the bundles? It seems odd to me that this item is absolutely impossible to buy at retail price.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

It's all about supply and demand. It is a business model that worked great for the wii. If it is hard to get and find one, more people hear about it, thus making them think it is popular and want to get one too.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

You could always not buy it until it has something worthwhile... in which case you may never have to waste the money.

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ultratechfan

You could always not buy it until it has something worthwhile... in which case you may never have to waste the money.

Pug-Nasty
I already have one, and its awesome, problem is my family hogs it up and want one for the man cave. Get piece of tech for 150 no matter how you slice it, but the sold out is kinda annoying
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Ultratech fan mmm
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
They're shipping five million units, that's a lot.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It's all about supply and demand. It is a business model that worked great for the wii. If it is hard to get and find one, more people hear about it, thus making them think it is popular and want to get one too.

15strong
Oldest strategy in business. Well said sir.
rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

15strong

THIS. so funny that it works. MS intentionally undersupplies products and so you get the 'limited stock' all over the place. and people who normally are on the fence or planning to get it someday will now pre-order the thing because of the dreaded 'limited stock' crap that they post on store shelves.

im pretty sure they've already made a ton of Kinect units. they just havent shipped them to the suppliers. they will definitely flood the market this holiday. so much for 'limited stock'.

EDIT: actually, Wii was NOT this kind of model. they advertised alot of Wii, showed so much, and developed games internally because third-party devs did not believe in the Wii's potential. and people seemed to have bought it. unlike Kinect, there was much, much more curiosity and anticipation for the Wii. its demand was really high that they actually went out of stock because Nintendo did not anticipate this kind of reaction.

on the other hand, MS even went as far as to have Oprah shove the Kinect in her audience's throats. big difference.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
Being as how you could have pre ordered them for about 6 months prior to their release I will leave you with a famous saying for your situation, "You snooze, you lose"
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
You keep something in demand, you are able to charge more for it. Economics 101.
Avatar image for KevinnButlerNPK
KevinnButlerNPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KevinnButlerNPK
Member since 2010 • 1145 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

rawr89

THIS. so funny that it works. MS intentionally undersupplies products and so you get the 'limited stock' all over the place. and people who normally are on the fence or planning to get it someday will now pre-order the thing because of the dreaded 'limited stock' crap that they post on store shelves.

im pretty sure they've already made a ton of Kinect units. they just havent shipped them to the suppliers. they will definitely flood the market this holiday. so much for 'limited stock'.

EDIT: actually, Wii was NOT this kind of model. they advertised alot of Wii, showed so much, and developed games internally because third-party devs did not believe in the Wii's potential. and people seemed to have bought it. unlike Kinect, there was much, much more curiosity and anticipation for the Wii. its demand was really high that they actually went out of stock because Nintendo did not anticipate this kind of reaction.

on the other hand, MS even went as far as to have Oprah shove the Kinect in her audience's throats. big difference.

Do you have any proof to back this up? EDIT: and I'm not talking about Oprah...

rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

[QUOTE="rawr89"]

[QUOTE="15strong"]

KevinnButlerNPK

it's first-year Economics. there's no need for proof whatsoever because you won't find evidence for this. it's a repeated practice. do you really think the pre-orders of Kinect were as high as 2 million units? the pre-order range was probably in the hundred thousands, and MS is telling me that it's already out of stock? oh please.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It is absolutely impossible to get Kinect in the States, Im currently on craigslist looking at someone posting this Kinect for 185 and im thinking about calling. I called about 8 gamestops, 8 targets, you name it, nowhere to be found. IS this intentional by Microsoft to get people to buy the bundles? It seems odd to me that this item is absolutely impossible to buy at retail price.Ultratechfan

Absolutely false. Again, I was just in Target, they still have shelves full of them... just like every other big box store in the Chicago area.

Nice try, though. Also, why the heck would you want one? Got a big itch to play Joyride, or something?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
The Wii showed that you can in fact keep something popular by artificially keeping supplies low enough that the demand is just barely being met. Sony's mistake was that all of their shortages were real, and by the time they had enough PS3s to meet customer demands, the hype had died out.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinnButlerNPK"]

[QUOTE="rawr89"]

rawr89

it's first-year Economics. there's no need for proof whatsoever because you won't find evidence for this. it's a repeated practice. do you really think the pre-orders of Kinect were as high as 2 million units? the pre-order range was probably in the hundred thousands, and MS is telling me that it's already out of stock? oh please.

I'm kind of on the fence here. I really think Kinect has managed to grab people's attention and interest in a way that is somewhat similar to the Wii. The big difference, I think, was that with Kinect a lot of that attention was generated over a shorter 2-3 month period, whereas the Wii was hotly anticipated for well over a year. The media blitz ala Oprah and BK was absolutely critical to Kinect's success.

I think Kinect is at the point now where it is popular and well-known enough to be on short supply because demand genuinely is outstripping supply. Microsoft did once predict only 3 million units would sell over the holidays, so it wouldn't shock me if they're having a hard time keeping them in stock.

Despite all that, I do think Kinect's success will be very short-term. I am not convinced it will generate enough compelling content over the next year or two to sustain the interest of either casual or hardcore audiences.

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kenmid
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultratechfan"]It is absolutely impossible to get Kinect in the States, Im currently on craigslist looking at someone posting this Kinect for 185 and im thinking about calling. I called about 8 gamestops, 8 targets, you name it, nowhere to be found. IS this intentional by Microsoft to get people to buy the bundles? It seems odd to me that this item is absolutely impossible to buy at retail price.Dire_Weasel

Absolutely false. Again, I was just in Target, they still have shelves full of them... just like every other big box store in the Chicago area.

Nice try, though. Also, why the heck would you want one? Got a big itch to play Joyride, or something?

nice try, I'm not saying that your lying, but I just did a stock check at local Chicago stores, and they're all sold out. I used the zip code 60607http://www.target.com/gp/store-info/find-target-store.html?asin=B002BSA298

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
Same deal as the Wii...false shortages = more $$$
Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultratechfan"]It is absolutely impossible to get Kinect in the States, Im currently on craigslist looking at someone posting this Kinect for 185 and im thinking about calling. I called about 8 gamestops, 8 targets, you name it, nowhere to be found. IS this intentional by Microsoft to get people to buy the bundles? It seems odd to me that this item is absolutely impossible to buy at retail price.Dire_Weasel

The stores in my neck of the woods seem to have plenty as well. Maybe it is a regional shortage?

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

If you're listening to the simple feeble minds who think that creating a shortage is the only way to compete, and that MS is doing this on purpose, I challenge all impudent simpletons to stick a metal rod in their head, hopefully they can find the pea sized brain of theirs, and stand outside a lightning storm to hopefully charge those neurons nested together in what most people call a brain.

Done it? Yeah? Good.

Now simply put, the reason there isn't enough is because when you make a product, it doesn't just happen overnight. Factories can push only so many of these tools out as so many times. Parts need to be in storage for the company to use said parts, people need to make sure the products are tested and pass QA, and then there are the people working in said factories who work for certain hours before going hom. In laymans terms, the companies can only make so many and ship so many in a single day. Don't worry, you'll get your kinect, just be vigilant and patient. :)

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

They thought the demand would be satisfied with 3 million initially. Then they upped their supply to 5 million but even so the demand seems to have been underestimated by MS. Same thing happened with 360 although that was even more supply constrained. Considering the time (Holidays) it's no wonder the thing will sell out.

ImportBMWRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ImportBMWRacer
Member since 2006 • 850 Posts
[QUOTE="kenmid"]

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

It is absolutely impossible to get Kinect in the States, Im currently on craigslist looking at someone posting this Kinect for 185 and im thinking about calling. I called about 8 gamestops, 8 targets, you name it, nowhere to be found. IS this intentional by Microsoft to get people to buy the bundles? It seems odd to me that this item is absolutely impossible to buy at retail price.Ultratechfan

nice try, I'm not saying that your lying, but I just did a stock check at local Chicago stores, and they're all sold out. I used the zip code 60607http://www.target.com/gp/store-info/find-target-store.html?asin=B002BSA298

Hmmm, Seems someone has been caught lying....again. Good Job Ken!
_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

theres no demand. m$ is just making a few of them so it would look like kinect is running out of stock but its because there were only a few kinects out to begin with in my honest opinion imho

Keiji993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Keiji993
Member since 2009 • 1059 Posts
If you really want one just get Move. You get a EyeToy with a bunch of games already out and Move for 100 bucks.
ImportBMWRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ImportBMWRacer

If you really want one just get Move. You get a EyeToy with a bunch of games already out and Move for 100 bucks.Keiji993

Wait...So you are suggesting that he spends more money on something else....Instead of something he clearly wants....Sorry but the move just does not compare to the Kinect.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Yea people thought i was lying when i said that i still cant find the stand alone kinect anywhere to purchase and this was about 2 weeks ago. Those things are really selling only the kinect bundles are being sold but i just need the stand alone.
Keiji993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Keiji993

[QUOTE="Keiji993"]If you really want one just get Move. You get a EyeToy with a bunch of games already out and Move for 100 bucks.ImportBMWRacer

Wait...So you are suggesting that he spends more money on something else....Instead of something he clearly wants....Sorry but the move just does not compare to the Kinect.

If you actually read he has kinect in his house and are u joking? Ur saying kinect is better?
ImportBMWRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ImportBMWRacer

[QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"]

[QUOTE="Keiji993"]If you really want one just get Move. You get a EyeToy with a bunch of games already out and Move for 100 bucks.Keiji993

If you actually read he has kinect in his house and are u joking? Ur saying kinect is better?

Easily kinect is better than Move. He clearly said that he wanted one in his man cave...So maybe next time instead of making a fool out of yourself, you follow your own advice.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

They want the publicity of being sold out.

Keiji993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Keiji993

[QUOTE="Keiji993"][QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"]

ImportBMWRacer

Easily kinect is better than Move. He clearly said that he wanted one in his man cave...So maybe next time instead of making a fool out of yourself, you follow your own advice.

Have you used Move and the EyeToy? Have you used kinect? If you havnt your opinion doesn't matter to me. It's funny how people bash the iPhone then turn around and praise kinect. Move has already proved that you can play retail games like Heavy Rain, NBA 2k11, RE etc. And it's accurate. What has kinect done?
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 themyth01

They want the publicity of being sold out.

XboximusPrime

But they want to sell more than the publicity. While fanboys will say that companies like to create forced shortages, any MBA will tell you otherwise. Business like publicity but there's no guarantee a lost sell due to shortages will still be a sell later, they want to guarantee sells ASAP. Any company will try to get the sell if they have the supply. There's a lot of misinformation in these forums.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I've actually had no problem seeing Kinects in stores here in Daytona. Maybe it's just a Florida thing. :P

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 themyth01
[QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"]

[QUOTE="Keiji993"] If you actually read he has kinect in his house and are u joking? Ur saying kinect is better?Keiji993

Have you used Move and the EyeToy? Have you used kinect? If you havnt your opinion doesn't matter to me. It's funny how people bash the iPhone then turn around and praise kinect. Move has already proved that you can play retail games like Heavy Rain, NBA 2k11, RE etc. And it's accurate. What has kinect done?

Kinect has done autonomous flying copters, star wars lightsabers, Minority Report controls, 3D tracking and 3D virtual environments, plus so much other stuff you can find on the web beyond gaming that it's just ridiculous. ;)
ImportBMWRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ImportBMWRacer

[QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"]

[QUOTE="Keiji993"] If you actually read he has kinect in his house and are u joking? Ur saying kinect is better?Keiji993

Kinect has given us a glimpse into the future of Gaming, though as of right now there is not much for Kinect.

I own both, and would LOOOVE to swap pictures with you. I will post a picture of my GS Tag playing the Kinect/Move, though I will only do so once YOU have done it. Though I would be more than willing to place money that you don't...Because you can't.

Just because the Kinect is better than Move does not mean Move is bad...Its just a gimmicky way to play games....I am not a big fan of Wii, though I did enjoy Wii Sports. You have no idea how well most Kinect games play, and how intuitive Kinect is....It just so seamless with everything it does...The Move is an Obvious Wii Clone...But who can blame Sony? Look at how well the Wii has done! The Kinect like I said, is a glimpse into the future of gaming.

So when shall we see those pics?

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ultratechfan

well thats good for you but im not lying, and whats with the anger? Im asking why wouldnt they just have these kinect sensors out all over the place so it sells to meet demand, right now nobody can find it....

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ultratechfan

Yea people thought i was lying when i said that i still cant find the stand alone kinect anywhere to purchase and this was about 2 weeks ago. Those things are really selling only the kinect bundles are being sold but i just need the stand alone.bigboss5ak

im buying it for 185 on craigslist, yet people think im making it up, oh well, ill probably sell back kinect adventures so it wont but that much more if i purchased it retail.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themyth01
[QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"][QUOTE="kenmid"]

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

Indeed, can't understand why do that though, it's not like it'll warp reality to match their wishes.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dire_Weasel

[QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"][QUOTE="kenmid"] nice try, I'm not saying that your lying, but I just did a stock check at local Chicago stores, and they're all sold out. I used the zip code 60607http://www.target.com/gp/store-info/find-target-store.html?asin=B002BSA298

themyth01

Indeed, can't understand why do that though, it's not like it'll warp reality to match their wishes.

Last Sunday, specifically, there were at least a dozen Kinects at the Target on Elston and Logan Square. Target.com does indeed show them as being out of stock now but I wasn't that hung over.

ImportBMWRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ImportBMWRacer

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="ImportBMWRacer"] Hmmm, Seems someone has been caught lying....again. Good Job Ken!Dire_Weasel

Last Sunday, specifically, there were at least a dozen Kinects at the Target on Elston and Logan Square. Target.com does indeed show them as being out of stock now but I wasn't that hung over.

Wow just wow....:roll:

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
impossible? walmart is full and kmart.. and every other stor in my Area.. what are you talking about?
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dire_Weasel

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Indeed, can't understand why do that though, it's not like it'll warp reality to match their wishes. ImportBMWRacer

Wow just wow....:roll:

Yes, wow. Target sells out of something in a couple of day. Impossible, I know. Carry on, then.

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ultratechfan

impossible? walmart is full and kmart.. and every other stor in my Area.. what are you talking about?VideoGameGuy

what state are you in? Im gonna go out and try Walmart right now, I will report back on my findings, either way im getting it tomorrow as I have a deal for it for 185 on craigslist, spoke to the guy..... ill let you know how it turns out.

Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ultratechfan

saved myself a trip, called and ALL OUT....if you like the number i can give it to you thanks.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

15strong
Same for Move ads in japan, very odd and so get plastered all over the net... something as simple as a foam suit can let millions of people hear about Move without Sony putting in the extra effort, works wonders and the public do all the work by taking pics and journalists post it on their blog sites and then gaming sites have threads make full of links to it... A huge number of eyes on a foam suit of a Move controller, smart and effective.
Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ultratechfan

They thought the demand would be satisfied with 3 million initially. Then they upped their supply to 5 million but even so the demand seems to have been underestimated by MS. Same thing happened with 360 although that was even more supply constrained. Considering the time (Holidays) it's no wonder the thing will sell out.

themyth01

thanks i guess that makes sense, I just dont understand why not just make 7 million and sell it over time instead of lowballing the figure... I wish I was making this up as well...

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

Ultratechfan

thanks i guess that makes sense, I just dont understand why not just make 7 million and sell it over time instead of lowballing the figure... I wish I was making this up as well...

MS spent 500mill on advertising, you really think they were gonna go out with underestimating the demand of the American people where their console is houses in one in 3 houses... Seriously... MS know what they are doing, its a case of people hear what they want to hear.. "It's sold out everywhere".. "Wow its that good?"....
Ultratechfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ultratechfan

[QUOTE="Ultratechfan"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

JohnF111

MS spent 500mill on advertising, you really think they were gonna go out with underestimating the demand of the American people where their console is houses in one in 3 houses... Seriously... MS know what they are doing, its a case of people hear what they want to hear.. "It's sold out everywhere".. "Wow its that good?"....

its possible but at this time I feel like im gonna get shut out and that would be one less sale....bottomline is if they had a ton of units out there it would sell a ton nontheless.....

ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

Think outside of SW nonsense sometimes.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Pug-Nasty
didnt dance central outscore GT5? that might be worthwhile? to answer the TC's question, i dont think kinect will be out of supply very long. its a christmas thing.