Why won't Bioshock make AAA?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Ptolemaueus
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

I just finished watching the videos for Bioshock, and I must say this game looks amazing, both gameplay wise and graphically.  The water effects are great, and the character models looks good, too.  The environments look amazing.  And the gameplay looks lke it could be one of the best 1st person shooters yet.  The idea of the genetic enhancement is altogether disturbing but looks to be a great gameplay element.

But people seem to doubt this game could get a score in the AAA range.  Why?

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.
weffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 weffer
Member since 2004 • 1004 Posts
Because there is no online, which I think is no reason for a game not to get AAA. The gameplay may not translate well to online, so what?
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Hot_Potato

Oblivion didn't have multiplayer.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Games like it do not score AAA here at GS.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I see nothing preventing from getting AAA.

Not every game that has guns needs multiplayer.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Hot_Potato

ORLY??

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/index.html?q=oblivion

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.
donut349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 donut349
Member since 2003 • 3951 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.turgore

...and? The cows are getting Oblivion
Mstrchiefpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Mstrchiefpwns
Member since 2006 • 814 Posts

Why must a game have multiplayer. I would rather have an amazing single player experience, like what Bioshock will offer, than an uninspired multiplayer component. That statement saddens me so much, because Mass Effect and Bioshock will be better than most multiplayer games this year.

Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ptolemaueus

Because there is no online, which I think is no reason for a game not to get AAA. The gameplay may not translate well to online, so what? weffer

If Gamespot takes off points for no multiplayer, that's just being stupid.  Not every game has to have multiplayer.  Like you said, the gameplay might not translate into online very well.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smokeydabear076
Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.Vandalvideo
Same with Deus Ex which was like System Shock 2 in some ways.
LongshotX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LongshotX2
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts
But 90% of the cows have a PC which enables them to play Bioshock.
mercenar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mercenar3
Member since 2006 • 2238 Posts
does it even matter? this game looks like it'll kick a$$ no matter what people say. But i really can't see why people are bashing it. if sony had this exclusive they would have sold me but this, dead rising, mass effect, halo3, and gears of war alone obliterate the ps3 lineup. ( imo )  
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.Vandalvideo
System Shock 2 should have revolutionized the genre. Bt no... it didn't, because there were so many people who for some bizarre reason, didn't care. >_>
Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
are you kidding me??? since when are cows the one who say that??? lmfao, hasnt every thread on vf5 from lemmings deemed it a failure because no online multiplayer. hahaha, you gave me the laugh of the day.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
Bioshock and STALKER won't be AAA, they will be great games but such games get a low tilt score and are never very popular. Its sad really, but true. PS scores are not important, Prey score 7.8 and I still loved it, it was much better than Doom3 which score an 8.6 or something.
air0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 air0123
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
Because I use AAA for my car, you know if it breaks down, they come and pick my car up for free, thats why, because Bioshock is a video game, not a service for vehicles.
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts

[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Mstrchiefpwns

Why must a game have multiplayer. I would rather have an amazing single player experience, like what Bioshock will offer, than an uninspired multiplayer component. That statement saddens me so much, because Mass Effect and Bioshock will be better than most multiplayer games this year.

Now why don't lemmings say that about Metroid Prime 3: Corruptions instead of saying it needs multiplayer, and if it doesn't have it, it needs to be delayed so it can be added? It has an amazing single player experience as well, so why must it have multiplayer when it's not a multiplayer focused game? Some lemmings say that they will pass on Metroid Prime 3 if it doesn't have multiplayer which I find sad since it will be an amazing game.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts
after watching the developer walkthrough for the 2nd time, i honestly believe this game will achieve AAA. GS will love the depth it offers.
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Imallvol7
are you kidding me??? since when are cows the one who say that??? lmfao, hasnt every thread on vf5 from lemmings deemed it a failure because no online multiplayer. hahaha, you gave me the laugh of the day.

For once I have to agree with you on that point. That's exactly how they have been bashing cows lately.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
I dunno. it looks pretty good.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
Bioshock will be the first game that I have ever hyped AAA here at GS.  I totally think this game has what it takes to get AAA here at GS.
mr_pops238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mr_pops238
Member since 2006 • 3980 Posts
bioshock will flop on every console/pc its released for. It will never get AAA. It will be lucky to even get AA.
angilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 angilk
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts
mutliplayer is nesscirstary in order for a fps to make AAA title. because it brings in much more depth
mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.smokeydabear076

Same main developer... Warren Spector. The man's a genius!
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PannicAtack
bioshock will flop on every console/pc its released for. It will never get AAA. It will be lucky to even get AA.mr_pops238
Care to explain why? And problems with the game, aside from the fact that it hasn't been announced for the PS3? >_>
TarmacChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TarmacChris
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts
This game looks brilliant and it should score high AAA but I'm unsure about some of the game mechanics in it, for example the shooting looked very slow and the targetting bad. Might just have been the specific gun or even the video I saw, but perhaps this might take away some valuable points from it?
mercenar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mercenar3
Member since 2006 • 2238 Posts

mutliplayer is nesscirstary in order for a fps to make AAA title. because it brings in much more depthangilk

but its not just a fps.Its more of an rpg in first person with guns available to you. The developers even suggest to avoid using your gun unless you really need to use it.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="angilk"]mutliplayer is nesscirstary in order for a fps to make AAA title. because it brings in much more depthmercenar3

but its not just a fps.Its more of an rpg in first person with guns available to you. The developers even suggest to avoid using your gun unless you really need to use it.

Right, because you have very little ammo at any given time. You're starved for resources. You're constantly looking for Adam, Ammo, Plasmids, etc.

LVLLN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LVLLN
Member since 2004 • 398 Posts
Two of Gamespot's best reviewed games of the last 5 years were shooters with no multiplayer: Metroid Prime, a FPS, and Resident Evil 4, a Third Person Shooter. 
OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts

[QUOTE="turgore"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.donut349

...and? The cows are getting Oblivion

that doesnt take away that u made an invalid point about a game not getting AAA because it lacks MP

fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Imallvol7

That's pretty accurate about VF5. Multiplayer's a nice addition but it's far from necessary to make a game worth buying -- unless the single player is just total trash. If the single player's brilliant (like Oblivion) then you won't care if you can't take it online. Are people going to grumble when MGS4 and FF13 release without multiplayer?
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.turgore

Wow, good point. ;)
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PannicAtack
How the crap would multiplayer in Bioshock work? Does anyone think that the way this game is played will be good for DeathMatches? I don't. It's the exact opposite of what the game is trying to do. >_>
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.LongshotX2

but it ain't goin to ps3 so u faiiiil!!
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ptolemaueus
[QUOTE="Mstrchiefpwns"]

[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.peaceful_anger

Now why don't lemmings say that about Metroid Prime 3: Corruptions instead of saying it needs multiplayer, and if it doesn't have it, it needs to be delayed so it can be added? It has an amazing single player experience as well, so why must it have multiplayer when it's not a multiplayer focused game? Some lemmings say that they will pass on Metroid Prime 3 if it doesn't have multiplayer which I find sad since it will be an amazing game.

Yeah.  Heck, I'm glad Prime 3 won't have multiplayer.  The one they had in Echoes sucked.  The lock-on system doesn't translate well into multiplayer.

rpg9000owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rpg9000owner
Member since 2006 • 1859 Posts

It had 100+ hours of gameplay it wasn't needed but Bioshock I assume isn't 100 hours plus. However it will msot likely get AAA. However there will be MP mods.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.mutenpika

He is not helping with Bioshock... is he?
h0wtehnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 h0wtehnub
Member since 2006 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="LongshotX2"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.-KinGz-

but it ain't goin to ps3 so u faiiiil!!

If you have a gaming PC, you dont faiiiill
byrofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 byrofish
Member since 2006 • 263 Posts
[QUOTE="mutenpika"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Because the mass media will shun it. -_-. Same thing with System Shock 2. Its been named one of the greatest games of all time................with an AA score.smokeydabear076

He is not helping with Bioshock... is he?

Warren Spector is not working on Bioshock.  I'm quite sure he didn't work on System Shock 2 either, though he was one of the main men behind the original.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
that's not true. That would be ridiculous. i always buy a game for it's single player. Online is just a great extra. Ofcourse there are games that focus heavily on online.. that's fine, and those games can be judged on that aspect...
mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
Because I use AAA for my car, you know if it breaks down, they come and pick my car up for free, thats why, because Bioshock is a video game, not a service for vehicles.air0123
Funny not found. :|
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#44 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
Because they are n00bs that preferred Quake 3 over SS2 and UT = \
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#45 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
Is that why SS2 was so succesful even though the MP component came so much later? Or is that why CoR is one of the best shooters ever made?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]Because multiplayer is absolutely positively neccesary for a game to make AAA. Or so say the jealous cows who can't get this game.Oemenia
Is that why SS2 was so succesful even though the MP component came so much later? Or is that why CoR is one of the best shooters ever made?

why do people miss this?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
System Shock (the precursor to BioShock) is a classic, and it scored AA. It's very possible this games scores less than AAA as well. Although I think it will be classic anyway.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Er more people suspect it to be an AAA than not,i think it will get it as the idea is new,but the fact that it won't feature multiplayer and it's an fps will hurt people's view on it,not necessarily the score if the single player is good enough.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
It could I suppose. I think I'm the minority thinking the game won't get AAA.

I dunno, it doesn't look outstanding to me. Perhaps I'm just more anticipating the real AAA FPS for the 360, Halo 3.
Avatar image for BillGates_Money
BillGates_Money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BillGates_Money
Member since 2007 • 1200 Posts
people are complaining about no multiplayer. what did you guys do before multiplayer was ever around?