Why is Xbox Live so much better than PSN?

• 185 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

[QUOTE="mazdero"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

Read my post above.

But fine you think that way and stick with your narrow minded ideology, tbh Live for a month averages out at about less than 10p a day so why the heck do people baww.

TwinMachetes

oh geez, did you really try to use that price justification? Can you link me to where we can pay 10p a day for live? You should pay if you like al those other "features" you speak of. you should not have to pay to play p2p online. Even worse, you shouldnt have to pay MS to watch netflix. That right there is enough to not support live. I suppose you one system owners really have no choice though if you cant afford, or simply refuse to game on another machine.

Save this post for when the PS4 is pay 2 play.

If that happens I will upgrade my 8800gts and play for free. I'm not a big online player save for a few games so it makes no sense for me to pay, especially for p2p.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mazdero

Oh I forgot another imprtant factor. Download speed. Just recently the Madden demo came out, same size on both platforms. Not only was it out on the 360 hours sooner, it also downloaded in a third of the time. Why does PSN download so slowly? Do they not have american servers?

i5750at4Ghz

you know I used to have problems with slow downloading off PSN, then I upgraded my internet and it downloads real fast now. I wish I could compare it to my xbox downloads but unfortunately both my xboxes are dead.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
Because you pay for it. It gives you the feeling that your gaming experience is superior to those poor PS3 owners who use a services that's so bad that even Sony refuses to charge for it. Money....Money makes you feel superior.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
[QUOTE="kingfire11"]Because you pay for it. It gives you the feeling that your gaming experience is superior to those poor PS3 owners who use a services that's so bad that even Sony refuses to charge for it. Money....Money makes you feel superior.

I use both daily. IMO it's unquestionable that Live is better. Things that take seconds on Live take minutes on PSN.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] fine, your still not giving me features other than party chat and a videogame insider show which has alot of "programming" behind it. Coolmazdero

Read my post above.

But fine you think that way and stick with your narrow minded ideology, tbh Live for a month averages out at about less than 10p a day so why the heck do people baww.

oh geez, did you really try to use that price justification? Can you link me to where we can pay 10p a day for live? You should pay if you like al those other "features" you speak of. you should not have to pay to play p2p online. Even worse, you shouldnt have to pay MS to watch netflix. That right there is enough to not support live. I suppose you one system owners really have no choice though if you cant afford, or simply refuse to game on another machine.

Well I own a Xbox 360 and PS3 and I must say I'm happy paying for Xbox Live as I always seem to have 10x better connection when gaming online as opposed to the PS3. Also the chat system on Xbox 360 is extremely useful you won't realize how great it is until you actually use it, probably as good as chat clients like Teamspeak and Ventrilo

I also prefer the interface/dashboard the Xbox 360 uses, and when downloading updates for a game on XBL it takes about 1 second and on PS3 it either has me falling asleep (GT5 or system updates) or I have to wait a solid 5-10 minutes

I don't know if I'm 100% correct here but to my knowledge Xbox Live Arcade games all have a 'try before you buy' option. Whereas with a PSN game I don't think I found a way to do that. With XBL games you just download, play the given trial and if you want the entire game just select 'unlock' , pay the fee and the game is there ready for you. I think that is a really good feature that Xbox 360 has.

and for Demos and other games, I don't understand why you have to install every game on PS3, on Xbox 360 once it's downloaded/bought, you are ready to go. It's a small thing that someone would probably nitpick about but I don't see why the 360 does it just fine and the PS3 has to install it (maybe im missing something here)

You can also just go on xbox.com and send your friends a message without even having the need to switch on your Xbox 360. You can manage quite a lot of things from the website involving your friends list and payments, etc.

All in all (and TL;DR) I just think xbox live is a lot more user friendly and way more organised than PSN. Like I said I own both 360 and PS3, and I don't even have a lot of money but it doesn't hurt me to pay for Xbox Live when I need it.

I adequately use both services and i'm not bashing the PS3 or anything. I just spend more gaming time on the 360

+ £35 a year is really not much to ask for...

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mazdero

[QUOTE="mazdero"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

Read my post above.

NirdBerd

Well I own a Xbox 360 and PS3 and I must say I'm happy paying for Xbox Live as I always seem to have 10x better connection when gaming online as opposed to the PS3. Also the chat system on Xbox 360 is extremely useful you won't realize how great it is until you actually use it, probably as good as chat clients like Teamspeak and Ventrilo

I also prefer the interface/dashboard the Xbox 360 uses, and when downloading updates for a game on XBL it takes about 1 second and on PS3 it either has me falling asleep (GT5 or system updates) or I have to wait a solid 5-10 minutes

I don't know if I'm 100% correct here but to my knowledge Xbox Live Arcade games all have a 'try before you buy' option. Whereas with a PSN game I don't think I found a way to do that. With XBL games you just download, play the given trial and if you want the entire game just select 'unlock' , pay the fee and the game is there ready for you. I think that is a really good feature that Xbox 360 has.

and for Demos and other games, I don't understand why you have to install every game on PS3, on Xbox 360 once it's downloaded/bought, you are ready to go. It's a small thing that someone would probably nitpick about but I don't see why the 360 does it just fine and the PS3 has to install it (maybe im missing something here)

You can also just go on xbox.com and send your friends a message without even having the need to switch on your Xbox 360. You can manage quite a lot of things from the website involving your friends list and payments, etc.

All in all (and TL;DR) I just think xbox live is a lot more user friendly and way more organised than PSN. Like I said I own both 360 and PS3, and I don't even have a lot of money but it doesn't hurt me to pay for Xbox Live when I need it.

I adequately use both services and i'm not bashing the PS3 or anything. I just spend more gaming time on the 360

Again you enjoy the features live offers so it makes sense for you to pay. People like me don't care about any of those features and just want to game online. Why should those people have to pay to use a p2p service?Why do they need to pay if they want to watch netflix?

Your game connection has everything to do with the connection of who is hosting, I hope you know that. Ive been in games on live that were unplayable they were so laggy. its not lives fault, it was that persons terrible internet connection. Same for PSN. I get good ones and bad ones. its the nature of p2p.

Money is no issue with me, but I refuse to pay for stuff I don't want to use. I also refuse to support a service that makes people pay just to play online with p2p connections.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NirdBerd

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

[QUOTE="mazdero"]

mazdero

Again you enjoy the features live offers so it makes sense for you to pay. People like me don't care about any of those features and just want to game online. Why should those people have to pay to use a p2p service?Why do they need to pay if they want to watch netflix?

Your game connection has everything to do with the connection of who is hosting, I hope you know that. Ive been in games on live that were unplayable they were so laggy. its not lives fault, it was that persons terrible internet connection. Same for PSN. I get good ones and bad ones. its the nature of p2p.

Money is no issue with me, but I refuse to pay for stuff I don't want to use. I also refuse to support a service that makes people pay just to play online with p2p connections.

Have you played Homefront on the Xbox 360/PS3? Homefront's multiplayer has dedicated servers and my brother bought it on the PS3 and I the 360 (when he wasn't living here and had the PS3 at university) I dunno man but I just think i'm getting a much better connection to Xbox Live itself. hence the faster downloads etc

I mean the general connection to Xbox Live seems a lot more crisp and snappy and when I'm on PSN it even takes forever for my friends list and messages to load. I thought a bad connection to the service would affect you as 'host' in turn making the connection better online regardless of P2P. I do believe download speed between XBL and PSN (demos, updates etc) being a lot faster than PSN would dbe a sure sign that the general connection to xbox live is a lot better, in turn affecting your game. But whatever i'm probably talking gibberish

and fair enough if you don't like what it offers, but a lot of other people like what it offers and therefore pay for it it has nothing to do with 'one system owners' or 'refusal to play on another system' .

killeracer0210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 killeracer0210
Member since 2009 • 1475 Posts

Because u can change your gamertag, better online(IMO), and less hackers.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Lulz cross game chat. I don't want to talk anyone not playing the same game as me. Silly lems. [spoiler] I honestly don't care which is better. But I know which one is free so that one is a win for me [/spoiler]
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mazdero

[QUOTE="mazdero"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

NirdBerd

Have you played Homefront on the Xbox 360/PS3? Homefront's multiplayer has dedicated servers and my brother bought it on the PS3 and I the 360 (when he wasn't living here and had the PS3 at university) I dunno man but I just think i'm getting a much better connection to Xbox Live itself. hence the faster downloads etc

I mean the general connection to Xbox Live seems a lot more crisp and snappy and when I'm on PSN it even takes forever for my friends list and messages to load. I thought a bad connection to the service would affect you as 'host' in turn making the connection better online regardless of P2P. I do believe download speed between XBL and PSN (demos, updates etc) being a lot faster than PSN would dbe a sure sign that the general connection to xbox live is a lot better, in turn affecting your game. But whatever i'm probably talking gibberish

and fair enough if you don't like what it offers, but a lot of other people like what it offers and therefore pay for it it has nothing to do with 'one system owners' or 'refusal to play on another system' .

on system wars, yeah it does :lol:

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

It doesn't go down for over a month and make you think all your credit card info has been lost to criminals? :P

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#62 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I wouldn't say it's much better, it has more features like cross-game chat which is expected since you have to pay for it but personally I don't think the price is worth the extra features
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 i5750at4Ghz
Lulz cross game chat. I don't want to talk anyone not playing the same game as me. Silly lems. [spoiler] I honestly don't care which is better. But I know which one is free so that one is a win for me [/spoiler] mrmusicman247
Anti social gamers are a dying breed.
yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 yellerbelly
Member since 2008 • 1008 Posts
Speaking as someone who has both systems, I personally don't feel that Live is really worth paying for. I'll admit to only having had my XBox for a few months, but I just don't really see why it's that much better. I've just had a few months cheap trial on it and I'm going back to silver. While I have both machines, I just don't see why I should pay to play multiplayer games against friends while I have a PS3 that will allow me to do so for free. And as far as unique aspects of each online system go - I get a lot more use from the PS3 browser than I do the crossgame chat function.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"][QUOTE="Tyrant156"] Like what? You don't have to have a Gold membership to buy games do you? What does a Silver account get you?USBxDVD
We're talking about XBL not XBL gold membership silly.

Oh I see. In that case, PSN triumphs over XBL. All PSN users, + and free get to play online. Only XBL Gold users get to play online, while Silver users only get to access half of their game.

Read what NerdBird said, that's XBL. Offers more content than PSN+ for free, downside is you have to pay the 5 bucks to play online. You just have to like its content and indie games. Which I do. Not to forget the early cod maps, you may find it overpriced maps but TEH LIVEZ gets one of the biggest games content a month early. Oh and no one but you gets to know your CC info.

yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 yellerbelly
Very apt use of Troll face, since I believe there is no evidence CC details were stolen?
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Very apt use of Troll face, since I believe there is no evidence CC details were stolen?yellerbelly
Trollface meant I wasn't serious. Those hackers could've targeted anyone. XBL is better, but barely. Besides cross-game chat and a few indie games there really isn't much more to it. I just like its exclusives and the looks. X game chat is a big + to me too. So I just go for the 360. I've got no problem paying 5 bucks a month, it's not that much. IMO
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
XBL is the same but the Xbox has cross game chat and a few features the PS3 does not have which are nice but overall they are the same for the most part.
yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 yellerbelly
[QUOTE="yellerbelly"]Very apt use of Troll face, since I believe there is no evidence CC details were stolen?sts106mat
nor is there evidence they were not, only SONY saying "may have".

True. But I doubt there are hackers out there sitting on files with thousands of people's CC details on and not using them/selling them on.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="kingfire11"]Because you pay for it. It gives you the feeling that your gaming experience is superior to those poor PS3 owners who use a services that's so bad that even Sony refuses to charge for it. Money....Money makes you feel superior.

I use both daily. IMO it's unquestionable that Live is better. Things that take seconds on Live take minutes on PSN.

Such as? Maybe PSN is different in America, but i live in the UK and PSN fully uses my 20mbps connection.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="kingfire11"]Because you pay for it. It gives you the feeling that your gaming experience is superior to those poor PS3 owners who use a services that's so bad that even Sony refuses to charge for it. Money....Money makes you feel superior.

Such as? Maybe PSN is different in America, but i live in the UK and PSN fully uses my 20mbps connection.

Viewing achievements, sending and receiving text messages, opening and playing netflix videos, installing DD games, game updates and demo. This like this are a snap of the finger on live, yet take forever on PSN.
yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 yellerbelly
Viewing trophies on PSN can take a few moments if you haven't synced them for a while - but that seems to be really clutching at straws!. Text messages I've never seen being slow. Downloads over Live do seem to be considerably faster than PSN though.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 i5750at4Ghz

Viewing trophies on PSN can take a few moments if you haven't synced them for a while - but that seems to be really clutching at straws!. Text messages I've never seen being slow. Downloads over Live do seem to be considerably faster than PSN though. yellerbelly

I thought that as well, until it started to be noticable. I was a PS3 and PC only guy for quite some time, and until I got a 360 none of these things bothered me. They are little I admit, but noticable none the less. These little things make the ease of use of live over psn more than worth the $40 I paid. Whether it's worth it or not to someone else isn't my issue.

Like when you get a message on live you don't have to go though a slow menu to read it, you just hit the guide bottom and it pops up. Before I had a 360 PSN messages were fine, but now that I see how live does it they seem really slow to open and read. Same with game invites. Everything is just super streamlined on 360.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Such as? Maybe PSN is different in America, but i live in the UK and PSN fully uses my 20mbps connection.sts106mat

Viewing achievements, sending and receiving text messages, opening and playing netflix videos, installing DD games, game updates and demo. This like this are a snap of the finger on live, yet take forever on PSN.

instant isn't it? its cool being in reach, you can just click and view the gamercard of any of the players and look at their reach service records, compare games etc. plus i have a windows phone 7 now, the only reason i got it is because its linked in with LIVE. WP7 games are also on xbox live, so i can unlock achievements on angry birds on my phone, i can see the achivements for it on my xbox when i get home and i can view my unlocked/still locked achievements for 360 games from my windows phone.

i can also purchase dlc / change avatar, message friends that are in-game on live, all from the XBOX Live features of my phone. its great. there is an app for reach as well as waypoint, so you can see all the daily challenges that are out for reach, plus your commendations etc all from your phone.

Xbox.com messaging is huge for me. I play in alot of sports gaming leagues, and there is nothing like having a huge Madden draft at work even though there isn't a 360 in the entire building. I guess it just comes down to the fact Live has alot more community features than PSN. PSN feels more like the PC community and less like a console community in that you never really feel connected to everyone.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 NirdBerd

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

mazdero

on system wars, yeah it does :lol:

LOL, fair enough.. :P

brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts
Oh where to begin, where to begin... 1. On PSN, it gets hacked into and gives my personal information to hackers and Sony plays dumb about the entire thing, including whether or not credit card data was stolen. 2. On PSN, you get a two month outage. 3. On PSN, you get brutal download times. Just to play demos with download and install time is just absurd. The word slow doesn't even give it justice. 4. On PSN, you don't have cross game chat. Hell, you don't have an easy way to even send messages to friends. 5. On PSN, there is less arcade games, demos, dlc. 6. On PSN, dlc usually comes AFTER Xbox Live has had it for some time. 7. On PSN, the community is dead, even for the higher ranked exclusives such as Uncharted 2. After one month the game was out there was about 5000 people playing. More people still play Halo 2. That's pathetic. You get all of this for FREE! Sorry, but I would rather pay $4 a month for all of this not to happen and actually get a service like Xbox Live that is actually good.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
You pay a fee to MS to maintain P2P.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
It is not, specially since you have to pay for a P2P connection with the same quality as in PSN.
doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#81 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

Oh where to begin, where to begin...

1. On PSN, it gets hacked into and gives my personal information to hackers and Sony plays dumb about the entire thing, including whether or not credit card data was stolen.

2. On PSN, you get a two month outage.brennanhuff

You realize that this could have happened to Microsoft too don't you? And I also remember Xbox Live was down for a couple of weeks a back in 2008 or so.
I agree that Xbox Live is better than PSN but not for the those reasons stated above.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

well the only online experience thats better on 360 video game wise that i know of is Black Ops...its really bad on ps3...but feature wise I guess cross game chat which Ive never used. Oh and also when im on Wifi in a hotel or whereverand its crappy...It always SEEMS to be less laggy on the 360

yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 yellerbelly
[QUOTE="brennanhuff"]Oh where to begin, where to begin... 1. On PSN, it gets hacked into and gives my personal information to hackers and Sony plays dumb about the entire thing, including whether or not credit card data was stolen. 2. On PSN, you get a two month outage. 3. On PSN, you get brutal download times. Just to play demos with download and install time is just absurd. The word slow doesn't even give it justice. 4. On PSN, you don't have cross game chat. Hell, you don't have an easy way to even send messages to friends. 5. On PSN, there is less arcade games, demos, dlc. 6. On PSN, dlc usually comes AFTER Xbox Live has had it for some time. 7. On PSN, the community is dead, even for the higher ranked exclusives such as Uncharted 2. After one month the game was out there was about 5000 people playing. More people still play Halo 2. That's pathetic. You get all of this for FREE! Sorry, but I would rather pay $4 a month for all of this not to happen and actually get a service like Xbox Live that is actually good.

The download times and hacking I'll give you. The hacking was a pain, but at least users got 2 free games and a free month of PS+. I've never had an issue with a lack of players when I've been playing MP. Even if there are 'only' 5000 people on at once, that's still plenty to fill my 12 man Uncharted lobby. I've never used crossgame chat on Xbox, and I find sending text messages over PSN is just as easy as it is on Live. Getting DLC early has only affected 3 games that I play - Fallout NV and Call of Duty games - I would hardly say that PSN "usually" gets DLC later. I know the subscription for Gold isn't pricey, but when I have the option of using PSN for free and spending that extra money on something else, I'll take it.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

This happens to be one reason. :P

Why the PS3 can't do cross-game chat

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 OfficerLeach_

[QUOTE="brennanhuff"]Oh where to begin, where to begin...

1. On PSN, it gets hacked into and gives my personal information to hackers and Sony plays dumb about the entire thing, including whether or not credit card data was stolen.

2. On PSN, you get a two month outage.doomguy9

You realize that this could have happened to Microsoft too don't you? And I also remember Xbox Live was down for a couple of weeks a back in 2008 or so.
I agree that Xbox Live is better than PSN but not for the those reasons stated above.

lol its wasnt even a 2 month wait...not even a full month technicaly...everytime id check a forum to see if it was back up ppl kept adding a couple days...anyway yea xbox went down for 2 weeks or so also...and hackers got encrypted info they couldnt use or sell, I love how people always forget to mention that, and it could have happen to MS just as easy ( 360 alot easier to hack btw)but as usual they play it safe, Sony was trying to get rid of the hackers which would IMPROVE everyone else gaming experience and they got attacked for it...and sony playing dumb? They wont admit to something so bad untill their sure thats just being smart...yea not like 360 sold faulty hardware knowing it was a ticking time bomb...360 online is pretty good in ways but what your saying is just silly

tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#87 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

One word, synergy. Since XBL is a major part of the 360 OS, it works seamlessly with games and such. Unlike on the PS3, where devs have to program certain features in their game (i.e. chat), on XBL, they only need to create an interface. This makes the experience the same across all games. Only games that look to restrictXBL features (i.e. MW2) have to spend extra time and resources programming. All in all the XBL experience is intergrated and feels as such, whereas the PSN experience feels more like a late addition, which it for the most part was. It is not about the tangibles, but the intangibles. Things that are there you don't notice, but if they were not, you would be disappointed.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#88 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Why start an entirely new thread about PSN vs Live. Seriously there are probably 100s that you could go back and look through and save yourself the same tired arguments over and over. If people see a value in Live it is worth it to them. If they don't then PSN is a better option if they have access to both. Lot's of people see enough value in Live to pay $30-$60 a year for it...how many people would do that with PSN?

Personally I've never paid over $30 a year for Live, so I don't mind it. I like the assortment of videos, game tips, coverages of events like E3, Comic Con, etc, and information right at my fingertips when I log on. I like the way Live is laid out better than PSN. I also like cross game chat. I don't play online alot, but when I do I like to be able to chat with my friends no matter where they are. I also like to be able to watch Netflix with friends from across the country in a party.

However for me the biggest advantage Live has over PSN is Live wasn't down for over a month, and all my personal information was not compromised.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#89 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

[QUOTE="doomguy9"]

[QUOTE="brennanhuff"]Oh where to begin, where to begin...

2. On PSN, you get a two month outage.OfficerLeach_

lol its wasnt even a 2 month wait...not even a full month technicaly...everytime id check a forum to see if it was back up ppl kept adding a couple days...anyway yea xbox went down for 2 weeks or so also...and hackers got encrypted info they couldnt use or sell, I love how people always forget to mention that, and it could have happen to MS just as easy ( 360 alot easier to hack btw)but as usual they play it safe, Sony was trying to get rid of the hackers which would IMPROVE everyone else gaming experience and they got attacked for it...and sony playing dumb? They wont admit to something so bad untill their sure thats just being smart...yea not like 360 sold faulty hardware knowing it was a ticking time bomb...360 online is pretty good in ways but what your saying is just silly

PSN was hacked on April 17th, Sony took the network down on April 19th. It didn't start coming back online until May 15th, and most countries didn't return until a day or so later. So yeah not technically a month, but darn close to it. Some Asian countries were out even longer. Not to mention it took weeks longer for the PS Store, and most other features to return.

Live has never gone down for 2 weeks why do Cows keep saying this? It had sporadic service during those two weeks as the servers were over loaded...not hacked...not crashed...overloaded. Some time service was fine, other times it would slow down, or there would be connection problems. For me it was never completely down, just sometimes slow. Still a big difference from being completely down for a month.

As far as hackers getting encrypted info they couldn't sell...Sony them self said the personal info was compromised. It's just a good thing that the hackers doing the hacking were only trying to bring down the system not profit from it, or the damage could have been much worse. Not all hackers are criminals, some believe they are standing up for the little guys.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#90 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Ease of use. For instance, chat is so much better (not to mention the superior fidelity). I tried to play Portal 2 with one of my LIVE buddies over PSN, and it was remarkable how slapdash the PSN chat was compared to our typical LIVE sessions. We had to resort to cell phones just to get it up and running... a far cry from the LIVE experience. What's more, LIVE ranks players and matches them according to skill level... an oft overlooked feature. If you are a noob playing an older online game you bought several months after release, LIVE automatically will place you with people in a similar situation, which is terrific, and doesn't get mentioned here enough. So people that claim it's a placebo effect or whatever BS rationalization they have are kidding themselves. Having said that, I hate paying for it. But I'm not going to pretend that it isn't a superior service.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

how come people always say, Theres more features and just say party chat and then thats it, you and another user in this thread have done this, what are these other features that i can't get on ps3 besides cross game chat. I have a 360 but i will never get live for it, am i missing something besides cross game chat because if its big i'll go get live right now.

Chris_Williams

No, that's about it. I think cross-game chat and cross-game invites are worth it, others won't. Really don't think we need yet another XBL/PSN thread, but maybe that's just me.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

For me, it's all about 3 things:

• Integration - XBL is built into the DNA of the system, right down to the OS level. Things are in logical places and easily accessible. Example being the community videos on the Community tab which are streamed from the dash. In that same location, you have the spotlight and any special events... right there.
  • Staff - XBL staff, both policy enforcement and community related are very accessible and constantly engage the community. Example: GamerChix is a great place for my daughter and wife to go. Not to mention that policy enforcement dudes are out there and respond as soon as a major issue comes up. One need only look at the MW2 cheats and how they responded/acted.
  • Party system - again, at the OS level, so it works no matter what you're doing. This includes cross game invites as well as chat.

Mileage will vary from person to person, but those are my reasons.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Oh where to begin, where to begin...

2. On PSN, you get a two month outage. First two points are the same. It could have happened to xbox. Xbox is also far easier to hack.

3. On PSN, you get brutal download times. Just to play demos with download and install time is just absurd. The word slow doesn't even give it justice.There must be something wrong with your connection then, for me and many others it is as fast as our connections allow. I wouldn't call my 20mbps (2.5MBps) slow.

4. On PSN, you don't have cross game chat. Hell, you don't have an easy way to even send messages to friends.Text messages are difficult? Yes, PS3 has no cross game chat, i'll give you that.

5. On PSN, there is less arcade games, demos, dlc.Fair point

6. On PSN, dlc usually comes AFTER Xbox Live has had it for some time. Microsoft spends lots of money for timed exlusivity. I guess that's good.

7. On PSN, the community is dead, even for the higher ranked exclusives such as Uncharted 2. After one month the game was out there was about 5000 people playing. More people still play Halo 2. That's pathetic.That depends on the game. I never have problems on Bad Company 2 and that's been around for well over a year now.

You get all of this for FREE! Sorry, but I would rather pay $4 a month for all of this not to happen and actually get a service like Xbox Live that is actually good.brennanhuff

You made 2 valid points:

Cross game chat and a bigger store.

For me and many others that isn't worth paying for.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 OfficerLeach_

[QUOTE="OfficerLeach_"]

[QUOTE="doomguy9"]

coasterguy65

PSN was hacked on April 17th, Sony took the network down on April 19th. It didn't start coming back online until May 15th, and most countries didn't return until a day or so later. So yeah not technically a month, but darn close to it. Some Asian countries were out even longer. Not to mention it took weeks longer for the PS Store, and most other features to return.

Live has never gone down for 2 weeks why do Cows keep saying this? It had sporadic service during those two weeks as the servers were over loaded...not hacked...not crashed...overloaded. Some time service was fine, other times it would slow down, or there would be connection problems. For me it was never completely down, just sometimes slow. Still a big difference from being completely down for a month.

As far as hackers getting encrypted info they couldn't sell...Sony them self said the personal info was compromised. It's just a good thing that the hackers doing the hacking were only trying to bring down the system not profit from it, or the damage could have been much worse. Not all hackers are criminals, some believe they are standing up for the little guys.

nah they tried selling it and couldnt...u can look it up..im done trying to convince fanboys myself...and I know plenty of hacking groups that steal from 360 users all the time...they take very little from alot of ppl so it goes unnoticed but adds up(reason why theirs so many forums ppl complaining there points are missising)...same for PSN...either way either system can be hacked it just so happened Sony got the worst of itbecause they were trying to stop it..MS didnt care if their system/games was full of hackers

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#95 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Cross game chat

- Bettter community for the most part

- Better interface

- Bigger store

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Apparently paying for something automatically makes it so much better than something that's free. :roll:
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#97 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
I understand that Live is better, but the only features that impress me are party chat, cross-game chat, and faster download speeds. That doesn't really make it A LOT better imo rather just a little better. $60/yr isn't a huge expense, but it adds up with all the other expenses, so it's up to you if you want to pay for it. Imo its only worth it if you game with friends alot. I should also mention that more ppl have Live so it's easier to game with friends with it. Facebook and Twitter? I don't need a console to do that, that's pointless.
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#98 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
Wait, do you need Gold to access the store?
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

- Bettter community for the most part

kozzy1234
LMFAO No. And better interface? That's debatable.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I guess its all preference really. I personally like the features that are offered on XBL and I find it a lot smoother to get around. Not to mention that most of my friends have XBL. I feel like you can be a lot more connected with your friends on XBL than PSN. When your enjoying the service, the money isn't a problem. I could see how PS3 fans would find it a problem..but people that enjoy XBL NEVER care.