Why is Monster Hunter so big in Japan, but not so in United States?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Is it the lack of online or camera controls? What the biggest gripe?

How well do you think Monster Hunter Freedom 3 will do?

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

It's not CoD.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
I guess it's why Call of Duty isn't as big in Japan as it is in America. Different tastes.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I guess it's why Call of Duty isn't as big in Japan as it is in America. Different tastes. SilverChimera

I don't think America is allergic to fantasy RPG's the same away Japan is to FPS :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Monster Hunter series is pretty much online-focused, what do you mean it has no online. Camera could be a problem, but mostly because there are just way too much grinding.
rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

first off, PSP is big in Japan.

second, alot (and i mean, a TON) of people commute in Japan, that's why handhelds are big there.

third, Monster Hunter = co-op game. it's always meant to be played that way. and so ad-hoc or online, peopel in Japan play Monster Hunter with friends. even with strangers.

fourth, Sony has set up tons of hotspots in Japan so you can access the internet on your PSP almost anywhere. yes, even in cafes. also, internet in Japan is at least 3 times faster than the US. they're paying $40 or less for a 100Mbps connection. here you only get around 15Mbps with that price. big difference.

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts
Yea, it's not call of duty.
VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

Same reason why Halo and COD aren't popular in japan.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Monster Hunter is a RPG game that is 70% skill and 30% item management.

Most people in the US seem to be used to 30% skill and 70% item management in their RPG's (yes, Monster Hunter is a lot like an Action/RPG). Seems that most RPG players feel that if the game isn't winning for you after sinking X amount of time into it, it must obviously suck.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Locutus_Picard

Most people in the US seem to be used to 30% skill and 70% item management in their RPG's (yes, Monster Hunter is a lot like an Action/RPG).xYamatox

Sounds a lot like Mass Effect and DA...actually every BioWare game ever made. :lol:

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

cuz they have totally different tastes

have you seen their best selling charts? very different from the US alot of goofy soundingstuff i never even heard of

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
because it's not an FPS
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I think the console MMO would do well. I don't think all the other games do.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

People in the US prefer first person shooters

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

Most people in the US seem to be used to 30% skill and 70% item management in their RPG's (yes, Monster Hunter is a lot like an Action/RPG). Seems that most RPG players feel that if the game isn't winning for you after sinking X amount of time into it, it must obviously suck.

xYamatox

Um, you just described Monster Hunter in that second paragraph. Either you are bringing food, drinks, and potions for your neverending battles of attrition, or you are trying to collect X items to get your new piece of armor or weapon. The extent of Monster Hunter's "skill" is learning X pattern, oh and remember to land that paintball so you are not running around for hours.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Because it doesn't have guns, Russians or terrorists in it.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Because it doesn't have guns, Russians or terrorists in it.

Desulated

This... which can be summed up with this:

because it's not an FPSeboyishere

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Because the Japanese love grinding.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
Because the Japanese love grinding.DJ_Lae
And Americans like shooting things? I think we need to stop the cultural generalizations.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Because the Japanese love grinding.thom_maytees
And Americans like shooting things? I think we need to stop the cultural generalizations.

Eh tit for tat...there have been quite a few generalizations maybe you should get down on the other people talking about fps=america.
Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts
Yeah thats true, people have different tastes.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coolyfett

It's not CoD.

Locutus_Picard

Cmon man seriously. It seems like a cool game.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Then why is WoW the most popular game in the US? Clearly Monster Hunter is doing something wrong to not appeal to the masses.
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
It's missing teh gunz.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Redmoonxl2

Um, you just described Monster Hunter in that second paragraph. Either you are bringing food, drinks, and potions for your neverending battles of attrition, or you are trying to collect X items to get your new piece of armor or weapon. The extent of Monster Hunter's "skill" is learning X pattern, oh and remember to land that paintball so you are not running around for hours.

Potions, traps, and etc are SUPPORT items, and are in no way needed to kill a monster (sure they help, but it isn't nessisary by any means). As far as armor is concerned (weapons I would understand based on how far into end-game you are), it's not too huge of a deal. I played through 90% of Monster Hunter Tri with only the Hunter Armor equipped, and did so perfectly fine, as opposed to some players I have personally seen grind their way to getting full Alatreon Armor/Weapons, and still manage to 3 cart in basic hunts because they didn't bring their shock traps/extra potions with them.

Knowing enemy patterns, guaging WHEN to attack and when to avoid attacks is much more important than making sure you have full Los Armor or traps to make up for a players lack of skill in the game.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coolyfett

first off, PSP is big in Japan.

second, alot (and i mean, a TON) of people commute in Japan, that's why handhelds are big there.

third, Monster Hunter = co-op game. it's always meant to be played that way. and so ad-hoc or online, peopel in Japan play Monster Hunter with friends. even with strangers.

fourth, Sony has set up tons of hotspots in Japan so you can access the internet on your PSP almost anywhere. yes, even in cafes. also, internet in Japan is at least 3 times faster than the US. they're paying $40 or less for a 100Mbps connection. here you only get around 15Mbps with that price. big difference.

rawr89

Thats a wise post.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
I tried the game that came out on the Wii, and I honestly don't get it. It was ugly, boring, and had bad controls. The game world was unappealing as well. I gave it a chance, but yeah, I do not understand the following this series gets.
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Locutus_Picard

[QUOTE="Locutus_Picard"]

It's not CoD.

Coolyfett

Cmon man seriously. It seems like a cool game.

Well it is a cool game. Why else would I be bothered to play more than 660 hours on a PSP game?! I used to play it with friends, brings out the true charm of the game. Hacking, slashing and hammering away at an oversized monster that could kill you in two swift hits. And the game pretty much relies on skill. You can bring out all potions, megapotions, max potions, elixers you want but if you keep getting hit...you will run out and eventually die. I'd recommend at least trying Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP, even if GameSpot gave previous iterations of the game low scores. Get together with some friends that also have a PSP and have fun. :P
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Different tastes, there are things that people in Japan like that we would scoff at here and vice versa.
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

because the Japanese gamer and gaming industry is completely xenophobic to anything that is not made in Japan.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thom_maytees

I tried the game that came out on the Wii, and I honestly don't get it. It was ugly, boring, and had bad controls. The game world was unappealing as well. I gave it a chance, but yeah, I do not understand the following this series gets.RandoIph
It is a matter of taste, and people should not bash or hate a game just because it does not appeal to their tastes. I personally find very violent games unappealing to me, but I do not bash them, think of them as "boring," or even think of them as "bad." Even though System Was has a large number of users who strongly prefer first-person shooters, at least the user pool is quite diverse.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

why is starcraft so popular in korea...Its 13 years old and is still played fanatically...

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thom_maytees

because the Japanese gamer and gaming industry is completely xenophobic to anything that is not made in Japan.

NanoMan88

I have seen xenophobia many times from Western gamers, especially when they see effeminate-looking males in JRPGs. This "xenophobic" nonsense regarding the Japanese levelled by Westerners is very hypocritical as it can go both ways.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="NanoMan88"]

thom_maytees

I have seen xenophobia many times from Western gamers, especially when they see effeminate-looking males in JRPGs. This "xenophobic" nonsense regarding the Japanese levelled by Westerners is very hypocritical as it can go both ways.

Japan is much more xenophobic than the West is, though. That's pretty much a fact. Not that Westerners can't be xenophobic, but it's more common in Japan.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts

[QUOTE="RandoIph"]I tried the game that came out on the Wii, and I honestly don't get it. It was ugly, boring, and had bad controls. The game world was unappealing as well. I gave it a chance, but yeah, I do not understand the following this series gets.thom_maytees

It is a matter of taste, and people should not bash or hate a game just because it does not appeal to their tastes. I personally find very violent games unappealing to me, but I do not bash them, think of them as "boring," or even think of them as "bad." Even though System Was has a large number of users who strongly prefer first-person shooters, at least the user pool is quite diverse.

Unless otherwise noted, all posts are subjective opinions. I am not trying to make an absolute mandate that the game or the series suck or are boring, but they do suck and are boring to me. This should not need to be explained. If I buy a game and it fails to entertain me, it is bad, for me.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

xYamatox

Potions, traps, and etc are SUPPORT items, and are in no way needed to kill a monster (sure they help, but it isn't nessisary by any means). As far as armor is concerned (weapons I would understand based on how far into end-game you are), it's not too huge of a deal. I played through 90% of Monster Hunter Tri with only the Hunter Armor equipped, and did so perfectly fine, as opposed to some players I have personally seen grind their way to getting full Alatreon Armor/Weapons, and still manage to 3 cart in basic hunts because they didn't bring their shock traps/extra potions with them.

Knowing enemy patterns, guaging WHEN to attack and when to avoid attacks is much more important than making sure you have full Los Armor or traps to make up for a players lack of skill in the game.

To the bolded parts, no, no, and hell no...Unless you are a leech. You are probably a leech, then. Grants on taking advantage of other people's work.

To everything else, no, the game is still an items game. I've got 3 boxes full of crap in my chest to prove it from when I last played, many of which are items needed to kill monsters faster. You know, min-maxing. You'd know that if you weren't leeching.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="NanoMan88"]

thom_maytees

Well to be fair, the level of Xenophobia in Japan is much greater.
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Locutus_Picard

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

Redmoonxl2

To the bolded parts, no, no, and hell no...Unless you are a leech. You are probably a leech, then. Grants on taking advantage of other people's work.

To everything else, no, the game is still an items game. I've got 3 boxes full of crap in my chest to prove it from when I last played, many of which are items needed to kill monsters faster. You know, min-maxing. You'd know that if you weren't leeching.

I used to take on White Fatalis HR9 with an Crimson Fatalis Gunner set ON MY OWN...with about 2 HP during the entire match. I had it gemmed for that one skill in which your attack goes drastically up when you are on critical health. So if I can do it...anyone can.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Because the Japanese love grinding.thom_maytees

The West doesn't like shooting games?

News to me.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="NanoMan88"]

thom_maytees

Criticisms of commercial art =/= xenophobia.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Locutus_Picard

I used to take on White Fatalis HR9 with an Crimson Fatalis Gunner set ON MY OWN...with about 2 HP during the entire match. I had it gemmed for that one skill in which your attack goes drastically up when you are on critical health. So if I can do it...anyone can.

I like anecdotal evidence. Tell me more of your tales so I can believe bottom tier armor can be used throughout the game.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
It seems like when I was in Japan, there were big hit western games on the shelves too. But because of the huge amount of Japanese games made specifically for Japanese, those games catered to them better. I've also watched Japanese people play FPS and they seem to struggle maneuvering and whatnot. :P
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

Redmoonxl2

Solo'd a High-Ranked Diablos online in only Hunter Armor set. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean there aren't people who can.

Min-Maxing isn't needed in order to be proficiant in hunts. You may call someone who doesn't carry excess items on them leeches, but I call those players skilled. Why someone needs 10 Normal/Max potions, Food, Shock Traps, Pitfall Traps, Tranqs, Bombs, etc it beyond me when my Greatsword alone can get the job done just as fast so long as I know when to attack and avoid being hit.

In all honesty, the only items I usually bring with me are 10 normal potions (in case I really f-up for some reason), and Steaks to make sure I can evade attacks when I need to, and Hot/Cold Drinks depending on the terrain. Everything else is just fluff there to help players who need a slight edge to overcome a monster.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#44 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

why is starcraft so popular in korea...Its 13 years old and is still played fanatically...

WilliamRLBaker

This is a question that I still have yet to find an answer for. :lol:

Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

its simiilar to the Gotta Catch'em All mentality... which we all know is BIG in Japan!

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Its a very grindy non story based game...a game that loses are small attention spans usually fails...Its fun but it gets old fast IMO. japanese people can sit there for hours and just play and play and play and play...why do you think they are the best at street fighter?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

well i think IN GENERAL japanese people like more slower pace games then americans.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Redmoonxl2

Solo'd a High-Ranked Diablos online in only Hunter Armor set. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean there aren't people who can.

Min-Maxing isn't needed in order to be proficiant in hunts. You may call someone who doesn't carry excess items on them leeches, but I call those players skilled. Why someone needs 10 Normal/Max potions, Food, Shock Traps, Pitfall Traps, Tranqs, Bombs, etc it beyond me when my Greatsword alone can get the job done just as fast so long as I know when to attack and avoid being hit.

In all honesty, the only items I usually bring with me are 10 normal potions (in case I really f-up for some reason), and Steaks to make sure I can evade attacks when I need to, and Hot/Cold Drinks depending on the terrain. Everything else is just fluff there to help players who need a slight edge to overcome a monster.

xYamatox

I can take Alatreon with an iron sword and Leather Armor, no potions, no food, not even help! Took him on solo. Prove me wrong. :|

If you are in a group with the items taking on monsters without said items, yeah, you are a leech. Sticking by that.

Either way, the game is about kill monsters for items, using those items to create other items, and using items to aid in getting items. The game design is item management personified. Not acknowledging it is akin to saying that since I can ignore resource collecting in an RTS, its suddenly an action game.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Coolyfett

Then why is WoW the most popular game in the US? Clearly Monster Hunter is doing something wrong to not appeal to the masses.percech

From what Coolyfett has read its the online aspect of the game. Ad hoc is not really online.