why is halo considered great?

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

i just wanna know whats so great about it? i know me and brother beat 3.....and found it kinda boring.....it was average to me, maybe i'm missing something...i dunno

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

Because people buy and defend whatever is advertised alot

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Because it's fun?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
They're fun games, well polished and have lots of content.
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts
Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Because americans buy and defend whatever is advertised alot

momentum_god

What an ignorant thing to say.

To the TC, because they're fun, simple, accessible, and easy to play with a bunch of friends, sorry you didn't individually enjoy it, shocker that there would be some who don't enjoy popular franchises :P

chrion133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chrion133
Member since 2007 • 847 Posts

Because the gameplay and controls for combat evolved were amazingly fun and addicting, it was a huge leap forward for console FPS.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Halo is actually my favorite first person shooting franchise on consoles.

Halo has always focused around team play. No other FPS game out there does co-op like Halo.

The enemy AI in Halo has always been really good.

The games have amazing set piece battles, great vehicle implementation, awesome physics....

The games are linear, but feel more open ended and free roaming than most FPS games.

I love the check point system, especially when playing on Legendary.

The games have the tightest controls out of any console FPS out there.

In a generation packed full of first person shooters, I've played them all, and the Halo games are the only ones I enjoy replaying.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

[QUOTE="momentum_god"]

WreckEm711

To the TC, because they're fun, simple, accessible, and easy to play with a bunch of friends, sorry you didn't individually enjoy it, shocker that there would be some who don't enjoy popular franchises :P

actually it's quite informed theres a reason companies spend billions on advertising, it works, well
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.jdt532

Only people who didn't play the original Xbox make his statement.

Probably because it means ignoring titles like Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden, Jet Set Radio Future, Forza, and Project Gotham Racing, among other titles.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="momentum_god"]

momentum_god

actually it's quite informed theres a reason companies spend billions on advertising, it works, well

nice ninja edit.

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts
It was one of the worst series' in the FPS genre, so i have no clue how someone could like something that bad , but obviously im not here to change peoples opinions or condemn them. I liked Killzone more than Halo, KZ was actually a good game, imo. To each their own.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

first one was good, but it got a bit samey...

the tale of the tape for many games these days.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.jdt532

You're right. Halo: Reach is my most played game this generation SIMPLY because Halo: CE was on the original Xbox and I hyped it and convinced myself the series was good. It CERTAINLY isn't because it's fun right?? Wow.

Halo is just fun, pure and simple. I love it, and it combines a unique mix of competitiveness, fun, and WTF moments that has kept my friends and I coming back since 2001. Can people just accept the fact that people like different games? We like Halo, you like your game?

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="jdt532"]Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.Kickinurass

Probably because it means ignoring titles like Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden, Jet Set Radio Future, Forza, and Project Gotham Racing, among other titles.

While Halo is a good series I do firmly believe that the fact is was one of the first "Decent" Online shooters readily available on home consoles it got lucky with a big tidal wave of fans.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

You'e free to check Gamespot's reviews or any of the reviews conveniently referenced at GameRankings.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

first one was good, but it got a bit samey...

the tale of the tape for many games these days.

PcGamingRig

i feel that uncharted is heading that direction.....:|

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
It's fun, that's why.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="jdt532"]Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.Jynxzor

While Halo is a good series I do firmly believe that the fact is was one of the first "Decent" Online shooters readily available on home consoles it got lucky with a big tidal wave of fans.

Of course. it's the title for Xbox, but there were plenty of other quality titles. Hell, I'm a huge Halo fan, and I enjoy the obscure Japanese mech game Phantom Crash far more than either Halo CE or Halo 2.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Did you play it online? Best console FPS in my opinion, perhaps best on any platform for me personally.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Halo is great because its still a unique FPS in a sea of CoD clones these days. Not trying to get all philosophical but the game has managed to keep its "soul" since the first game and it keeps fans coming back.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="jdt532"]Because for awhile the original Halo was the only decent game on the original Xbox so M$ and Xbox fans hyped it up as the greatest game ever. If Halo was a Playstation or PC game it would've been considered good but not great with all the other quality games on those platforms.Jynxzor

So that explains why Bungie gave us AAA titles everytime they released a new Halo?

AtlasBizarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AtlasBizarre
Member since 2010 • 828 Posts

It was one of the worst series' in the FPS genre, so i have no clue how someone could like something that bad , but obviously im not here to change peoples opinions or condemn them. I liked Killzone more than Halo, KZ was actually a good game, imo. To each their own.TheAcountantMan

Lol, and you like Call of Duty.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I sold my 360 and never miss it, but the one thing I do miss a bit is Halo (I owned 3). Great games. Maybe a bit overrated, but definitely awesome games deserving of recognition. They are the closest thing to Perfect Dark and Timesplitters we have today, and even then they are not quite as good as GE/PD/TS IMO.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

Halo is actually my favorite first person shooting franchise on consoles.

Halo has always focused around team play. No other FPS game out there does co-op like Halo.

The enemy AI in Halo has always been really good.

The games have amazing set piece battles, great vehicle implementation, awesome physics....

The games are linear, but feel more open ended and free roaming than most FPS games.

I love the check point system, especially when playing on Legendary.

The games have the tightest controls out of any console FPS out there.

In a generation packed full of first person shooters, I've played them all, and the Halo games are the only ones I enjoy replaying.

arkephonic

Almost stopped reading at "The enemy AI in Halo has always been really good."

But then i read the next line "awesome physics...."

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="TheAcountantMan"]It was one of the worst series' in the FPS genre, so i have no clue how someone could like something that bad , but obviously im not here to change peoples opinions or condemn them. I liked Killzone more than Halo, KZ was actually a good game, imo. To each their own.AtlasBizarre

And?
Call of Duty is one of the best games ever made, i used to absolutely despise FPS games before i played COD, but the first time i played it, it converted me.
I have no problem with people playing Halo, i'm not even mad at them, that Halo players chose to play such an awful title game, when they couild be playing Call of Duty instead.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
So that explains why Bungie gave us AAA titles everytime they released a new Halo?Grawse
If you take things like reviews at face value, then yes Bungie did give us "AAA titles" everytime, but I have seen far better games be shunned just due to the marketing machine. I like to form my own opinion about games I play, and Halo while good was nothing special in my opinion as far as FPS rolls. The one thing I'll always give it credit for is being the figurehead of the online consol gaming push.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I'm ONLY referring to Halo CE here and not the sequels, they all pale in comparison to the first.

It was well balanced , the battles were massive and were complimented by competent A.I. , the levels were huge, it had great music and sound fx, the vehicles were fun to use (flying around and strafing/bombing the enemy in a massive battle has yet to be topped IMO), the firefights were visceral, and the characters and story were decent. On top of that, it was incredibly polished and played tight. My biggest admiration towards Halo CE though comes from the way each weapon was unique and could be combined with others to take down different enemies quicker. It lent the battles an element of strategy and forethought, as only two weapons could be carried at a time.

Halo CE didn't do anything especially well or noteworthy, but it did it damn well good enough, and combined it all together nearly flawlessly. I've seen other good FPSes, but none where all its various parts come together so well. All in all, Halo CE is more than the sum of its parts. That's why it's so great.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Argueably the best story for a shooter and a balanced multiplayer

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

- nostalgia. this generation of gamers is largely populated by people who played halo 1 and 2 as their first online FPS game or even one of their first FPS games ever. now they are nostalgically attached to this franchise forever and will buy anything bungie puts out and hail it as a masterpiece.

- its massive popularity. which could could be largely attributed to the fact that halo 1 and 2 were some of the only good exclusives to play on the original xbox. as the xbox grew, so did halo and it becaome the 360s posterboy as well.

- its simplistic gameplay, online community, and easy accesability makes it appeal to casuals. and im not talking about cooking mama or wii fit casuals. im talking about guys who know nearly nothing about the video games as a whole and who play nothing but call of duty, halo, and sports games. also, kids play a big role in halo's demographic. many of them were still sucking their thumbs when halo CE was released.

its just an overrated, overpopular, overblown franchise. there is nothing "great" about the current gen halo games. halo 1 and 2, were pretty impressive for their time, but due to bungie's inability to improve the campaign, gunplay, physics, AI, and overall the gameplay, the series is just mediocre by today's standards if you actually look at it objectively. its popularity makes it immune to criticism on most reviewing sites, and its early integration into the zeitgeist has created legions of loyal fanboys. that is halo.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Its a FPS that requires skill rather then a bunch of garbage unbalanced perks. Plus the story is one of the best in the industry.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Because many people still think it was the first FPS ever and it is the equivalent of Britney Spears in music (overly marketed pop culture that becomes more popular than what is worth).
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
It was the first FPS that proved you could play those games on consoles, AND proved console MP.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
beats me , much better fps games out there that dont get the recognition they deserve.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Because it is great. 8)

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
It's a fun, well polished series of shooters. It has always looked nice for its time, has good multiplayer and the story isn't half bad either (though really, really derivative of other sci-fi :P).
Gilgamane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gilgamane
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts
They are fun, MP wise. In Sp they are lacking in fun though...
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"][QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

well for FPS's it did have some of the more fun and engaging gameplay, most people don't realize how different the regening shield made things when it was released, they aslo don't realize that it was one of the first few games that stopped giving you tons of weapons and forced you to choose, add some vehicles that handled exceptionally well compared to... everything else in fps's at the time, and incrdibly good dev's that communicated with the community a lot and supported the game and kept updated playlists often, they didn't just get fans, they kept them. I don't think many people realizee if they are stepping into halo now, that many games followed in halo's footsteps now, and even then no dev's have really supported their game as much as Bungie
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

I'm ONLY referring to Halo CE here and not the sequels, they all pale in comparison to the first.

It was well balanced , the battles were massive and were complimented by competent A.I. , the levels were huge, it had great music and sound fx, the vehicles were fun to use (flying around and strafing/bombing the enemy in a massive battle has yet to be topped IMO), the firefights were visceral, and the characters and story were decent. On top of that, it was incredibly polished and played tight. My biggest admiration towards Halo CE though comes from the way each weapon was unique and could be combined with others to take down different enemies quicker. It lent the battles an element of strategy and forethought, as only two weapons could be carried at a time.

Halo CE didn't do anything especially well or noteworthy, but it did it damn well good enough, and combined it all together nearly flawlessly. I've seen other good FPSes, but none where all its various parts come together so well. All in all, Halo CE is more than the sum of its parts. That's why it's so great.

didn't do anythign noteworthy? i think the vehicles handle better then any other fps game out there, the dev's support the game more then any other fps out there, the music was epic, the plot was actually well thought out, the story was actually really good and unique (most people don't even acknowledge it, ITS ABOUT ALIENS!!! oh i thought it was about a halo...?) The ai is actually best on consols and i think the only PC game i've really seen come close to it is crysis/farcry but even that AI isn't as dynamic as halo's, halo's they'll get more aggressive depending on the friends they have around them... I don't think people realzie how good halo really is they are just so blinded by its popularity they have to hate it, or find reasons to hate it, and focus on the story part thats about aliens, and the fact that its an fps and you shoot people so it doesn't do anything new.... which can be said for all FPS's. I've never seen so many people ignore so many elements of a game just because its popular
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Because americans buy and defend whatever is advertised alot

momentum_god
Got to love when people generalize a whole country.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts
Well, if u have to ask, you will never understand. ;) Halo doesnt really appeal to me because im not into shooters (aka i suck at them :P), but i can see why people have so much fun with it, especially the multiplayer.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts
To the TS: it's weird how arguments like yours keep popping up. I DON'T have anything against your not liking halo (I don't like the game myself), but i DO have a problem with you making a thread to TELL you why the game should be liked, because apparently, you may have been "missing something". Did you expect to be told about some great breakthrough achieved by the game; which would then have lit up the dusty recesses of your mind with the light of knowledge straight from heaven, and made you appreciate the work of god that is halo? That you would have then exclaimed "OOOH!! SO THAT IS WHY HALO IS SO GREAT! ZOMG I'M ENLIGHTENED NOW!" Come off it already. You don't like a game, think it doesnt deserve the hype/praise? Then just say it. Do an old-fashioned rant, at least it's honest.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Compared to games like Call of Duty it may as well be Half Life 2.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Because it's fun. The only problem I have with reach is how the framerate drops whenever someone blows something up.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

i just wanna know whats so great about it? i know me and brother beat 3.....and found it kinda boring.....it was average to me, maybe i'm missing something...i dunno

youngmurk911

What you're missing is perspective. Different titles will appeal to different people. Simple as that.

There is no universal appeal to any single game. God of War gets criticized as a mindless button masher. Mario games get criticized as outdated and rehashed. Zelda also gets criticized as outdated for not having voice acting (and a bit of rehashing too). MGS gets called out for ridiculous plot & bizarre characterizations. Mass Effect is seen a lackluster TPS. Not everybody is into the puzzle solving of Portal, saying it sucks for not having real shooting action. COD gets called out for milking and being styIe over substance. GT up until its 5th game got criticized for being outdated for its lack of damage physics and rubber banding AI.

Basically, ANY game that gets accolaides gets questioned as to "why it deserves it". Which is the real fallacy of this whole thread and argument. Don't want to like Halo? That's fine. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, just like the games I listed above. But don't question its praise as if it were completely out of the realm of possibility that somehow, juuuust maybe the developers did something right to earn the acclaim it got from the media and gaming community. Just because you don't see any merits, doesn't mean plenty of other people don't. I know I'M not alone in its praise :)

And before you ask, "so why DO you like it, AdobeArtist?", not much point in answering. I can list a number of points like the balanced weapons list, comprehnsive multiplayer options and customization features, riveting music tracks, large scale unscripted battles, aggresive AI (on Heroic and Legendary), etc.... but you'll more than likely dismiss them as ficticious and therefore irrelevant.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

[QUOTE="youngmurk911"]

AdobeArtist

What you're missing is perspective. Different titles will appeal to different people. Simple as that.

There is no universal appeal to any single game. God of War gets criticized as a mindless button masher. Mario games get criticized as outdated and rehashed. Zelda also gets criticized as outdated for not having voice acting (and a bit of rehashing too). MGS gets called out for ridiculous plot & bizarre characterizations. Mass Effect is seen a lackluster TPS. Not everybody is into the puzzle solving of Portal, saying it sucks for not having real shooting action. COD gets called out for milking and being styIe over substance. GT up until its 5th game got criticized for being outdated for its lack of damage physics and rubber banding AI.

Basically, ANY game that gets accolaides gets questioned as to "why it deserves it". Which is the real fallacy of this whole thread and argument. Don't want to like Halo? That's fine. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, just like the games I listed above. But don't question its praise as if it were completely out of the realm of possibility that somehow, juuuust maybe the developers did something right to earn the acclaim it got from the media and gaming community. Just because you don't see any merits, doesn't mean plenty of other people don't. I know I'M not alone in its praise :)

And before you ask, "so why DO you like it, AdobeArtist?", not much point in answering. I can list a number of points like the balanced weapons list, comprehnsive multiplayer options and customization features, riveting music tracks, large scale unscripted battles, aggresive AI (on Heroic and Legendary), etc.... but you'll more than likely dismiss them as ficticious and therefore irrelevant.

So well written Adobe, and i agree. (Off topic, can u make me a GUFU sig with Mass Effect and Uncharted? Or maybe something with the Navy?)
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
It's the MP, there's something for everyone. You can take the regular, boring, serious route by playing Team Slayer and what not, you can play in the MLG playlist if you want an extra level of competition or you can just mess around in Action Sack or Griffball.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
It's the MP, there's something for everyone. You can take the regular, boring, serious route by playing Team Slayer and what not, you can play in the MLG playlist if you want an extra level of competition or you can just mess around in Action Sack or Griffball.
DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="AtlasBizarre"]

[QUOTE="TheAcountantMan"]It was one of the worst series' in the FPS genre, so i have no clue how someone could like something that bad , but obviously im not here to change peoples opinions or condemn them. I liked Killzone more than Halo, KZ was actually a good game, imo. To each their own.TheAcountantMan

And?
Call of Duty is one of the best games ever made, i used to absolutely despise FPS games before i played COD, but the first time i played it, it converted me.
I have no problem with people playing Halo, i'm not even mad at them, that Halo players chose to play such an awful title game, when they couild be playing Call of Duty instead.

Hahahaha... Dude Call of Duty is easily the most overrated FPS game of all time. I'm assuming that your 13 years old and don't enjoy a challenging online game with a competitive edge. CoD games take zero skill, none at all. The fact that you can actually design a c1ass that gives you an advantage over other players just shows what a piece of **** game it is when it comes to multiplayer. You can keep forking out $60+ each year for the same horrible game but I would rather spend my money on a great game like Halo where the developers actually improve their products and where they actually care about the community.