Why get a PS3 for Blu-Ray when you can get it for PC?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]PS3 is more than just a Blu-Ray drive.PvtGump8

that sounds so ironic... a pc with a blue-ray drive kinds renders the ps3 pointless in most respects (yes renders was an intentional pun)

Yea, but Spruce says that's off the topic. :shock:

oh noes! i was saw it, basically what he said was "stay on topic or the ps3 might get pwned by the PC if we compare them direvtly" i loled

No, I was saying that the TC was comparing one thing, which was the Blu-Ray drive.

In SW terms, a PC beats every system. There is little reason to debate that, and it is indeed outside the scope of the thread as it was created.

well you said about there being 'this little thing called games' so im calling you on that, besides with the pc having such a strong library your statement of 'the ps3 is more than just a blu-ray player was kinda ironic becuse thats one of its main selling points. it certainly has the weakest librabry this gen so no, it isnt that much more than a blue-ray player and now that PC blue-ray is getting so cheap the point TC made is very valid, there is no need for a ps3 with a blue-ray equiped PC.

Can you play PS3 exclusives on a PC? Any PC, Blue-Ray or not renders a Xbox useless.

i never said it didn't oh and take a good look at the ops3 exclusives this gen, they are the worst out of any...
Vriess12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Vriess12
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

The PS3 puts out a pretty damn good blu ray picture. I have a blu ray drive for my pc and although it looks good the same movie from a ps3 looks slightly nicer.

Plus you need some pretty damn fast hardware to run blu rays, not many people have fast enuf systems.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

Not quite. We can only assume that he implied that, or we can assume that he took all other factors into account as well and chose merely to focus on the Blu-Ray aspect and came to the conclusion that a PC is superior in that aspect as well.

The topic is clearly about the PC versus the PS3 with a focus on the Blu-Ray aspect.

SpruceCaboose

If it was not about strictly Blu-Ray, why is that spelled out in the topic title, and why is the link to ble-ray drives and not whole PC rigs or at least anything more than just a drive?

If this is strictly about Blu Ray, then why did you say that the PS3 is more than just a Blu Ray drive? You were the one to introduce this idea to the topic which nevertheless, according to you, is just about Blu Ray.

The TC is comparing the PC and the PS3 regarding Blu Ray technology. You brought up that the PS3 is more than just a Blu Ray drive, but so is the PC. I don't see how my point is less relevant than yours if it is simply doing what you initiated: looking at other aspects of one of the platforms in this argument.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

This must be a joke thread.

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

Not quite. We can only assume that he implied that, or we can assume that he took all other factors into account as well and chose merely to focus on the Blu-Ray aspect and came to the conclusion that a PC is superior in that aspect as well.

The topic is clearly about the PC versus the PS3 with a focus on the Blu-Ray aspect.

Hexagon_777

If it was not about strictly Blu-Ray, why is that spelled out in the topic title, and why is the link to ble-ray drives and not whole PC rigs or at least anything more than just a drive?

If this is strictly about Blu Ray, then why did you say that the PS3 is more than just a Blu Ray drive? You were the one to introduce this idea to the topic which nevertheless, according to you, is just about Blu Ray.

The TC is comparing the PC and the PS3 regarding Blu Ray technology. You brought up that the PS3 is more than just a Blu Ray drive, but so is the PC. I don't see how my point is less relevant than yours if it is simply doing what you initiated: looking at other aspects of one of the platforms in this argument.

You know something?

I love your avatar, its hilarious

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Pelon208

Jamex1987

It is actually. I hope, cuz the TC just sound ignorant

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
[QUOTE="Jamex1987"]

Pelon208

well he has a point, i have a blue-ray player on my pc and see on need for a ps3. ever
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Pelon208
[QUOTE="Pelon208"][QUOTE="Jamex1987"]

thegoldenpoo

well he has a point, i have a blue-ray player on my pc and see on need for a ps3. ever

Because you don't like the PS3, totally accepted, but the TC mention the PS3 only as a blu-ray player. That's what i meant

mnvike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mnvike
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts

PC is in the home office with my 24" LCD monitor, PS3 and 360 are in the family room next to the 50" Pioneer Plasma and kick arse stereo/home theater system. Which room would you rather watch your movie in?

I suppose I could buy a second computer, but pleas tell me where I can get a PC with blu-ray drive for $399?

Biggest reason for me is I'm a programmer so the last thing I would ever want to do after a long day at work is sit in front of a keyboard and mouse again. I'm going to kick back on the couch and be immersed in the home theater system for movies and games.

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Pelon208

PC is in the home office with my 24" LCD monitor, PS3 and 360 are in the family room next to the 50" Pioneer Plasma and kick arse stereo/home theater system. Which room would you rather watch your movie in?

I suppose I could buy a second computer, but pleas tell me where I can get a PC with blu-ray drive for $399?

Biggest reason for me is I'm a programmer so the last thing I would ever want to do after a long day at work is sit in front of a keyboard and mouse again. I'm going to kick back on the couch and be immersed in the home theater system for movies and games.

mnvike

WIN

fjburgos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 fjburgos
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:3634|&Sort=4

i'm getting blu-ray on pc,don't need a PS3 for that.

Cbot

So i have to spend 200 bucks on a cheappy and crappy blue ray player for a pc thats actually cost me 1000 bucks to build. No way bad deal i stay with the ps3.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#62 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
om
[QUOTE="mnvike"]

Pelon208

WIN

Nah this is not win, this is ignorance. I can plug my PC into my 50inch plasma tv and play video game/dvd/surf on the internet on my couch and it cost me nothing, the cable came with the video card... NO need for a second comp

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Biggest reason for me is I'm a programmer so the last thing I would ever want to do after a long day at work is sit in front of a keyboard and mouse again. I'm going to kick back on the couch and be immersed in the home theater system for movies and games.mnvike
There is nothing stopping you from hooking the PC up to the TV and using it from teh couch.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
because people have things called televisions, and other things called families and big screen televisions to watch them on and watch movies with thats why
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts

because people that buy ps3 to watch blu-ray movies want to watch movies on a small pc screen, what an idiot thread, yes you can hook the pc up to a large HDTV but you can bet the casual movie person who just wants to watch movies wouldnt know how to even go about hooking the pc up and getting it going let alone want there pc near the large tv the whole time in the lounge....... ps3 is just a really good choice to watch blu-ray movies, I have a blu-ray player on my laptop and I would never ever use it over the ps3 right near my large hdtv.

Sc00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Sc00p
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts

At the time of my ps3 purchase which is mainly for blu ray, i did look into getting a drive for my pc. However i found at the time, about 6 months ago, that if i wanted dolby truehd sound, without it getting downsampled ie 1.5mbps, then my only option was a standalone player or a ps3. Even today i hear that it is only possible with certain daughter sound cards that offer hdmi 1.3 output, which would mean spending more money on top of the bd drive purchase.