WHy Does PS3 Have Internet Support But Not360?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

http://www.diggingtheweb.com/wiki/Ps3FW

And doesnt Wii allow some form of surfing the net? I thought MSoft vison was also a media hub like sony vison with the playstation brand.

with 2.50, i hear ppl now are wacthing youtube via PS3 rather then via a PC

JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts

We are at Firmware 3 now.

I wonder that too, I would think they would do Internet Explorer or somthing like that

Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts
I wonder that, but then again how often do I go online with a console.......
AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts

Because MS vision for the user is too network a 360 with a windows based PC via Windows Media, so there really isn't a need to put a browser into the 360. You can also use this setup to utilize the PC hard drive for music files. Way more efficient then the PS3.

BTW MS Vision is the video camera setup...

Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts

Because MS vision for the user is too network a 360 with a windows based PC via Windows Media, so there really isn't a need to put a browser into the 360. You can also use this setup to utilize the PC hard drive for music files. Way more efficient then the PS3.

AlphaGamer469

PS3 can do media server as well :lol:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Mainly because its pointless on consoles?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Because of fear of:

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

And doesnt Wii allow some form of surfing the net? I thought MSoft vison was also a media hub like sony vison with the playstation brand.

PSP107

Even before 2.50 u could watch youtube videos on the ps3.
DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]

Jack-o-Thompson

Yea you guys can but it's not wireless, you also don't have the luxury of using any type of media file on your computer as well as 360 applications you can purchase. ALSO the 360 can be used as a DVR and TV tuner. Not to mention browsing on the PS3 is troublesome and not worth it we even have a media center browser we don't use it...

zomgwtfbbqlol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zomgwtfbbqlol1
Member since 2008 • 1226 Posts

Because of fear of:

SpruceCaboose
AHAHAH a virus, quickly kill it
zomgwtfbbqlol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zomgwtfbbqlol1
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

campzor

Even before 2.50 u could watch youtube videos on the ps3.

yea they updated flash so u can do just about anthing now (veoh videos too, addictingames.com, etc)
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack-o-Thompson
[QUOTE="Jack-o-Thompson"][QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]

DivinitySkate

Yea you guys can but it's not wireless, you also don't have the luxury of using any type of media file on your computer as well as 360 applications you can purchase. ALSO the 360 can be used as a DVR and TV tuner. Not to mention browsing on the PS3 is troublesome and not worth it we even have a media center browser we don't use it...

its wireless, it uses wi-fi, I use it all the time for streaming movies. I didn't know the 360 could be used as a DVR and TV tuner though, thats awesome. Yeah some files can't work or are not supported like wma's or mp4's, all mp3s and avis work fine though. Yes, browsing is not really worth the trouble but its good if you can't use your computer atm and want youtube on a larger display or on the go with the psp. Also 2.5 just added flash 7 I think so other sites with flash videos could be viewed on the browser.

zomgwtfbbqlol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zomgwtfbbqlol1
[QUOTE="Jack-o-Thompson"][QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]

DivinitySkate

not wireless? what? just go to WMP11 and share it with ur PS3, and all the content can be accessed form ur XMB... and waht do u mean not wireless? bcz u can run it on a wireless network...nd 360 cant be used a DVR/TV tuner, that is all on ur computer, 360 can just stream it form ur WMC
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

Yea you guys can but it's not wireless, DivinitySkate

what are you talking about, my media server on my pc to the ps3 is done wireless.

zomgwtfbbqlol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zomgwtfbbqlol1
[QUOTE="DivinitySkate"]

Yea you guys can but it's not wireless, SageJMP

what are you talking about, my media server on my pc to the ps3 is done wireless.

ignore him he said the 360 is a tv tuner/dvr... rofl... though its ur actual PC that runs WMC, and streams it to ur 360.... also he dsnt know PS3 has Play TV (in europe so far though)
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jack-o-Thompson
[QUOTE="SageJMP"][QUOTE="DivinitySkate"]

Yea you guys can but it's not wireless, zomgwtfbbqlol1

ignore him he said the 360 is a tv tuner/dvr... rofl... though its ur actual PC that runs WMC, and streams it to ur 360.... also he dsnt know PS3 has Play TV (in europe so far though)

Yes, also the psp with location free player, which I forgot about.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I have NEVER accessed the web browser on my PS3.

IMO its for little kids to browse Adult websites because their mom put restictions on their computer.

BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
Whats wrong with a computer...? I thought thats like one of the main reason people buy computers....
o0_L0st_B0y_0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 o0_L0st_B0y_0o
Member since 2006 • 1307 Posts

IMO its for little kids to browse Adult websites because their mom put restictions on their computer.

Blue-Sky

why does it have to be for that?

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
MS wants people to use Windows for internet methinks
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I remember having a mess around on the PS3 web browser, freaking out of memory errors.

Never use it for forum posts, you cannot copy/paste and memory only stores one page. If you get a connection error or accidentally click on anything; say goodbye to your post.

SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.chutup
Who is this "Internet" I would also like to make an agreement with him to.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"]Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.SonyMarksman70

:roll: The internet isn't a person, it's a company. How do you think the internet exists? Nobody's going to build something like this if they couldn't make money off it.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

[QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"][QUOTE="chutup"]Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.chutup

:roll: The internet isn't a person, it's a company. How do you think the internet exists? Nobody's going to build something like this if they couldn't make money off it.

I lol'd

But seriously, I think its because MS is in this "Browser war" on the real internetz with google, opera, safari, Firefox etc etc.

plus Windows costs money, they want people to use windows

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I use my PS3 web browser sumtimes like when im playing my video games from my bed an im too lazy to go to the computer :P What would really make the PS3 web browser great is the ability to browse WHILE playing the game and being able to "alt+tab" (maybe u press home and select "web browser") between your game and web browser. That way, one could play a game while looking up a faq for getting 100% completion. That would make it 100x more useful!
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Its because the PS3 is a open world service meaning you can go anywhere. While the 360 is a closed service only allowing things under the sun of Xbox live.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"][QUOTE="chutup"]Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.chutup

no 1 company owns the internet

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chutup

[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"][QUOTE="chutup"]Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.doobie1975

Uh... yes, they do. They are called ISP and they are owned by Rupert Murdoch.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 doobie1975
[QUOTE="doobie1975"]

[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"][QUOTE="chutup"]Sony and Nintendo made special licensing agreements with the internet to have it on their consoles. MS on the other hand didn't want to waste money on such an agreement, partly because of their poor relationship with the internet since it began to favour Firefox/Opera over IE.chutup

but they provide access too the internet, they dont own it

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]

[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"]Who is this "Internet" I would also like to make an agreement with him to.doobie1975

'Fraid they do. All the website owners have to pay rent to them. Though Google is looking to purchase the internet off them once they have enough money.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

OK.....if you use a program like TVersity to stream your content from your pc over to the PS3, you can watch all types of video formats, the PC will convert it on the fly while you watch movies...simple. And it's great to be able to watch youtube movies on the PS3 aswell. I didn't know you could'nt use the internet on the X360, that's weird. MS did'nt think the Internet was here to stay when they made the X360..hehe.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 doobie1975
[QUOTE="doobie1975"][QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]

[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"]Who is this "Internet" I would also like to make an agreement with him to.chutup

'Fraid they do. All the website owners have to pay rent to them. Though Google is looking to purchase the internet off them once they have enough money.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/who-owns-internet1.htm.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chutup
Ah crap, I think you just won:lol:
TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#37 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts
Because the 360 is a GAMESconsole... for playing GAMES on.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Meh. You'd think MS would be trying as hard as they can to revive IE.

But console browsers are near pointless for me.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Blue-Sky

I've used it to watch tv shows on streaming sites, turns your PS3 into a TV, I use a PC monitor, so that works out nice.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

doobie1975

Why are you arguing with sarcasm/jokes?

And I was not joking when I said that MS was worried about viruses. They kept the console closed to the internet to make the platform as secure as they could, and I don't blame them for being paranoid, considering how much they are attacked in the cyber world.

ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

surfing the internet on a pc is much better than doing it on the PS3.

Avatar image for Warped_Creation
Warped_Creation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Warped_Creation
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

So just install YDL presto. You have a new computer that does everything your normal computer does and is a lot cheaper.

Just gotta wait for RSX support.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts

Blue-Sky

...How did you know?!?

Avatar image for Gaming_Guru_Guy
Gaming_Guru_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gaming_Guru_Guy
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
My guess is because surfing the net on a console is terrible.
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tobin09
Member since 2006 • 1579 Posts

It is possible to get a browser on the xbox via a media extender, but yea.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
The web browser on the ps3 sux compared to a computers, the wiis sux even more.
We'll get alot of cows in here talking bout how they use the Ps3's browser constantly but its a lie.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Mainly because its pointless on consoles?Wasdie

are you god? because that post actually made sense.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Does anyone actually USE their system browsers? I've never touched my PS3 one:|
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
because ms has said the pc is more suited to web browsing so has no plans for a 360 web browser
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because the 360 is a gaming console. And gaming consoles shouldn't be capable of surfing the internet... that's what my computer is for.