Why does everyone care about the graphics? Polygons mean nothing anymore!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Matmoo_Wii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Matmoo_Wii60
Member since 2006 • 361 Posts

we have gotten to this point, where graphics have reached a certain standard. In some games of recent times, the graphics (polygons, that sort of thing) have been amazing, but the Physics and A.I has near ruined the game! Why do we have such great graphics making the games feel so realistic, when we have shappy Physics and A.I that tear it all down again! Surely what developers should be focusing on now are the Physics and A.I, like Lucasarts for example. Whether the game will be any good from a gameplay pointof view is yet to be seen, but for anyone that has seen the tech demos on Youtube (link coming soon), you will know just how great it makes the game look and feel.

Half Life 2 looks better than most Next Gen games do, and why is that? Physics.

theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts

no:|

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.X360PS3AMD05

If you look at a game like Crysis, I think the ultimate goal is to make gaming look better than the real world.

waleedarshad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waleedarshad
Member since 2004 • 617 Posts
Good Graphics are important
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.X360PS3AMD05
The idea of photorealism is interesting. What will it take? I mean to be truly 100% photorealistic the developers would technically have to model every single atom in the game. Plus could the world handle photorealism? Anyway graphics are going to continue to improve but I'm seeing more games not just focusing on graphics but also new gameplay ideas. Look at Mass Effect and Bioshock, arguably 2 of the best looking games out there, bar none. Both are trying to completely reinvent their respective genres but that doesn't mean it has to look like something that my original Xbox could play.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
OMg!! But Real Time Lighting on Mario's Stache and Reflective Rainbow Shaders on Master Chief's armor is TEH FUTUR!!! I"ddd rahter look att those awesome GRAFX than play some stupid kiddy game!!!

Did you see how Much bloodd was pouring out of that aliens face?? IT HAS PHYSX BLOOD!!!

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X360PS3AMD05
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.pundog
The idea of photorealism is interesting. What will it take? I mean to be truly 100% photorealistic the developers would technically have to model every single atom in the game. Plus could the world handle photorealism? Anyway graphics are going to continue to improve but I'm seeing more games not just focusing on graphics but also new gameplay ideas. Look at Mass Effect and Bioshock, arguably 2 of the best looking games out there, bar none. Both are trying to completely reinvent their respective genres but that doesn't mean it has to look like something that my original Xbox could play.

By the time PS5 and Xbox 1080 :lol: if there are any, roll around i think we should have pretty photorealistic games, but then what? Virtual reality??
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
Even though I agree, great physics and AI kick ass, that with crappy graphics is not that cool...
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
i'd rather see physics and ai work in the near future, but there are still quite a few games, if not all, where i have issues with graphics. they're not perfect yet, honestly, i think its still somewhat basic compared to what is noticeably missing. its dumb to care about graphics sure, but why not? its something that we're interested in.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.X360PS3AMD05

By the time PS5 and Xbox 1080 :lol: if there are any, roll around i think we should have pretty photorealistic games, but then what? Virtual reality??

Personally I think true photorealism is impossible. The best I see games getting to is high quality movie CGI (like the stuff in LOTR) where you can just barely tell its fake. Photorealism just doesn't seem like it could ever happen.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 X360PS3AMD05
I haven't played the PS3, but my brother has and he said he was playing resistance and he even noticed (not a hardcore gamer) that the AI was improved. Well i told him it's called AI :D He said "they don't just stand around for you to shoot them anymore" lol they actually try to outsmart you.
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
I'm really tired of sheep arguing this point.  Just because your console can't produce good graphics does not mean graphics are not a very important part of a game.
coolviper2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolviper2003
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts

we have gotten to this point, where graphics have reached a certain standard. In some games of recent times, the graphics (polygons, that sort of thing) have been amazing, but the Physics and A.I has near ruined the game! Why do we have such great graphics making the games feel so realistic, when we have shappy Physics and A.I that tear it all down again! Surely what developers should be focusing on now are the Physics and A.I, like Lucasarts for example. Whether the game will be any good from a gameplay pointof view is yet to be seen, but for anyone that has seen the tech demos on Youtube (link coming soon), you will know just how great it makes the game look and feel.

Half Life 2 looks better than most Next Gen games do, and why is that? Physics.

Matmoo_Wii60
That's because graphics are much easier to improve and implement into a game. AI is really hard, I myself am working on a basic kind of AI for a computer game and it's far from easy. AI is so hard to be made into a convincing manner, let alone make the computer actually think for itself.
coolviper2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolviper2003
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.pundog

Personally I think true photorealism is impossible. The best I see games getting to is high quality movie CGI (like the stuff in LOTR) where you can just barely tell its fake. Photorealism just doesn't seem like it could ever happen.

I think we'll get there, maybe not any time soon. But come the year 2100 and we still can't get there, then something is wrong, lol.
Matmoo_Wii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Matmoo_Wii60
Member since 2006 • 361 Posts

I'm not saying the graphics should not improve at all, but I think that there should be more work on the A.I and physics so it meets the same standards.

It's all very well saying, "OMG this is mega photorealistic!" But your gonna be taken outta the experience when a car hits a wall at top speed and bounces back with a few minor deformations (PGR3 and GTHD, we are looking at you...).

Also, it may well be hard, but the video game industry isn't just about making the same thing over and over again with slightly more polish (death to EA!), but truly bringing the WOW factor with every game.

What made the Gravity Gun so satisfying in Half Life 2? The physics.

What made the big battles so great in Halo? The A.I.

What made Wrestlemania so good, the gra- Oh no wait...

Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

Yes. The 360 and the PS3 have definately reached a pretty adequate level of graphical detail for reality. So next gen they should advance in the other aspects. This unfortunately is not good for the Wii  as it has last gens graphics.

When they can make in game characters look as detailed as FF:Spirits Within, I will say graphics have advanced enough, but untill that time, each new console needs to have significant incremental improvements in it's graphics.

TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
Photorealistic graphics are overrated, embrace the power of TEH CELL and 4D!!!!
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Yes, because gaming is for escaping reality, what happens when photorealism is achieved, then what? The PC is moving forward with physics and AI, so are the PS3/X360, well supposedly anyway.pundog

unless you could see every atom you wouldn't need to model every atom in game.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Mean nothing anymore........... Lmao what made you dictate that? The Wii? I agree that I would put physics at this point in time higher then. Still, I think you're pushing it a little bit.