Why do you use Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by anerzc (10 posts) -

Hello Everybody,

My name is Cathy and I am requesting some help in filling out marketing research survey for Steam users.

I am investigating how digital games are discovered as a part of my MBA program at the University of California Irvine and hope to gather some data from active Steam users such as the ones present on this forum.

If you wouldn't mind taking 10 minutes to fill out our survey it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to share this link with your friends, too!

Disclaimer: I'm not a spammer, this is a survey for educational purposes only and all responses are confidential.

Thanks a lot!

Survey Link: http://survey.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5Bwfndt42ActPvf

#2 Posted by wolverine4262 (19050 posts) -

Hi Cathy.

#3 Edited by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@anerzc said:

Hello Everybody,

My name is Cathy and I am requesting some help in filling out marketing research survey for Steam users.

I am investigating how digital games are discovered as a part of my MBA program at the University of California Irvine and hope to gather some data from active Steam users such as the ones present on this forum.

If you wouldn't mind taking 10 minutes to fill out our survey it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to share this link with your friends, too!

Disclaimer: I'm not a spammer, this is a survey for educational purposes only and all responses are confidential.

Thanks a lot!

Survey Link: http://survey.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5Bwfndt42ActPvf

Irvine student or not... reading the rules apply to all. 500 posts needed. Next. (Try the game discussion sub-section. You'll not find any good answers on System Wars. Perhaps even /r/pcmasterrace will be helpful.)

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

it's not a bad survey, i'm doing it at the moment.

i say fuck the rules about posts - let's help this academic bulldozer muscle through their data collection like a baws.

#5 Posted by lostrib (34512 posts) -

Oh yeah? What sound does Peter make?

#6 Edited by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

it's not a bad survey, i'm doing it at the moment.

i say fuck the rules about posts - let's help this academic bulldozer muscle through their data collection like a baws.

Filling out the survey as well. But, this doesn't really belong in SW anyways.

#7 Edited by freedomfreak (39185 posts) -

Hi Cathy. Would you care for a cup of copulation?

#8 Edited by Gamerno6666 (501 posts) -

Hi cathy.... Bye Cathy

#9 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

She's not going to come back here, guys....

#10 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

So, this Gauntlet game... I knew it had something to do with you wanting to advertise a game for personal gains...

#11 Posted by anerzc (10 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback and help so far!

Sorry about the post - I'm not actually a gamer myself so I wasn't sure how to navigate the forums and know where to post. =/

Am I violating a rule of some sort? Sorry!!

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

yeah the gauntlet thing's a bit funny

and yeah bleeding irish this doesn't really belong. but neither does logic but i keep trying to introduce it.

#13 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

yeah the gauntlet thing's a bit funny

and yeah bleeding irish this doesn't really belong. but neither does logic but i keep trying to introduce it.

Ahh, someone has seen my sig. Well, the survey was fine till the whole "Watch this trailer of Gauntlet and tell us if you are interested."

#14 Edited by Gamerno6666 (501 posts) -

@anerzc said:

Sorry about the post - I'm not actually a gamer myself so I wasn't sure how to navigate the forums and know where to post. =/

You need 500 posts to create threads in SW.

also advertising is not allowed in GS.

#15 Edited by Zelda187 (715 posts) -

Because it's so goddamn awesome

#16 Posted by clyde46 (44989 posts) -

That site is really slow.

#17 Posted by wolverine4262 (19050 posts) -

So, its just an ad for Gauntlet? You have really betrayed our trust, Cathy. For shame.

#18 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@anerzc said:

500 posts to make a thread under this sub-section.

Anyways, why is Gauntlet relevant to the survey?

#19 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

@bldgirsh: yeah see that i don't understand either. i guess it's possible they've chosen that game because it's a remake of a game which probably holds a lot of nostalgia for people. maybe the assignment is one of those ones which involves cooperating with industry.

maybe they needed us to watch some marketing materials.

cathy come back and explain your rationale for the survey design pl0x, i'm thirsty.

#20 Posted by clyde46 (44989 posts) -

A lot of it is asking where I would research a game? Social media etc? Wat?

#21 Edited by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@bldgirsh: yeah see that i don't understand either. i guess it's possible they've chosen that game because it's a remake of a game which probably holds a lot of nostalgia for people. maybe the assignment is one of those ones which involves cooperating with industry.

maybe they needed us to watch some marketing materials.

cathy come back and explain your rationale for the survey design pl0x, i'm thirsty.

I'm just guessing that WB gave a nice check to the Business department of Irvine to advertise it.

#22 Posted by anerzc (10 posts) -

I promise it's not an ad - I do not have any affiliation with the game and it was an arbitrary example of a Steam only game that is not on sale yet.

Primary research so far suggests that trailers and videos play a significant role in the decision making process, and it is used solely to validate or invalidate that suggestion.

Thank you, again!

#23 Posted by clyde46 (44989 posts) -

The next button has not appeared.

#24 Edited by lostrib (34512 posts) -

I believe this is the appropriate response

#25 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@anerzc: Well, at least you are responding. If you stick with SW's you'll see that CGI pre-rendered trailers play a major role in hyping up certain games.

#26 Posted by Slashkice (13055 posts) -

I didn't know there was a Gauntlet reboot. I learned something today!

#27 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -
@anerzc said:

I promise it's not an ad - I do not have any affiliation with the game and it was an arbitrary example of a Steam only game that is not on sale yet.

Primary research so far suggests that trailers and videos play a significant role in the decision making process, and it is used solely to validate or invalidate that suggestion.

Thank you, again!

thank you for taking the time to respond. you are very brave to come here, some folk here are crazy!

ok so in your background research you discovered trailers etc are influential, hence the trailer so you can look at the affect. very nice.

robust answers - i'm satisfied, well done!

#28 Posted by anerzc (10 posts) -

I think I'm limited to a certain number of posts per day - so forgive me if I drop off suddenly.

When you say "stick with SW's" what does that mean?

Yes - it's a Marketing Research class, and we are trying to understand this specific topic since it looks like a growing trend in the industry (or not, I don't really know).

The next button is timed...it'll appear eventually.

It would be very nice if WB would give our school money or jobs - apparently you have to be UCLA or USC to get noticed, though. =/

#29 Posted by clyde46 (44989 posts) -

Here in System Wars, some users are very passionate about what console/PC they own. I've completed it now.

#30 Edited by MonsieurX (29514 posts) -

lol spam

#31 Edited by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@anerzc: Well, hopefully we did what we could to help you out. Good luck in your studies. (The limit is 10 posts in one day I believe.)

"Stick with SW's" means stick with this sub forums that you posted in. You'll learn a lot on how marketing ploy influences the masses.

#33 Posted by sailor232 (4442 posts) -

I filled it in. Not a bad survey apart from that Gauntlet crap. Hope I helped at least.

#34 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

Hi Cathy, what are you wearing?

#35 Posted by kitty (114556 posts) -