Why do you keep preordering games when they keep flopping?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Usually I just preorder games that I know I'm going to play regardless of reviews. This year that's been Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, Dark Souls 2, Tales of Xillia 2, and maybe one or two others.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23031 Posts

I only preorder games once in a while due to them always being readily available on day 1 no matter if you preorder or not. I couldn't care less for the "bonus" gear or nonsense they entice us with. Most times I don't even bother inputting the codes on that stuff.

To the sentiment of the TC, pre-ordering a game like watchdogs or destiny doesn't mean someone is committing a crime against gaming... it's just someone's preferential way of spending their own money. Destiny is a 6 and watchdogs was a 5 in my book, maybe less... still I've dumped dozens of hours into both, spent my time there and don't regret it. Hell, I bought Too Human day one and played it for more than 50 hours, totally enjoying every moment. Not everything must be a magnus opus in the hobby to be legit excited to play it.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I don't pre-order games so much as pre-purchase them. Some games are bad, but you want to play them anyway so you can be part of the conversation/history of that series. It's normal for me to put money down for a game like that a few days before launch simply so I've gotten it out the way. But pre-ordering right after a trailer prompts me too months from release? ...Yeah, not gonna happen.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

well, as a best buy gcu member, I preorder because i get a 10 dollar coupon when i pick the game up. I buy the game for 48 (20% off gcu perk), play it, then trade it in the next week if it sucks. New games will get you 44 in trade (40 plus 10% gcu bonus), so in all im out 4 bucks to play the game for a week but then I get a 10 dollar coupon so I actually just got paid 6 bucks to try the game out. You asked. Thats why.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I only preorder if the bonus is tempting, and/or if I think it's going to be hard to find a copy.

Halo MCC is the first game I've preordered in years

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@mikhail: i rarely pre-order. But you can hardly call Watch Dogs and Destiny a flop when they have sold like hot cakes

Flop has nothing to do with sales.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I haven't pre-ordered in a decade until Destiny but that's because I had some free credit and wanted to test out pre-loading. Even if I got it free I'm still getting my moneys worth and pre-loading is awesome. When the game released, I turned on my console, signed in and a notification popped up and I was able to play right away.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@CountBleck12 said:

I just pre-order games from franchises I love, Kirby and Zelda are great examples.

This. Kirby and Zelda are my two favorite game series.

I pre-order games mostly because they'll probably sell out. Like maybe the Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Other than that, I get most of my games day one. So why not pre-order and maybe get a bonus? Haha.

Nothing short of an actual "Limited Edition" ever has the chance to sell out these days. When a game company prints a game, they print enough copies to fulfill their predicted sales... and when they see it's doing well, they keep printing them.

Very few Collector's Editions these days are truly "limited". I've seen Collector's Editions of Halo 4 and ACIII still on sale in Wal-Mart in the past few months. Only something like MGS3: Subsistence LE was actually limited. They said they would print 5000 copies, and they did. I own one of them.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#59 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@mikhail: i rarely pre-order. But you can hardly call Watch Dogs and Destiny a flop when they have sold like hot cakes

Flop has nothing to do with sales.

Watch Dogs has a decent metacritic, so it's not a flop, Destiny could be a good argument though

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I only preorder games from franchises I know and trust like Fallout and Borderlands. Bloodborne will be the first wild card I preorder, but I figure it's got to be close to Dark Souls.

Even if it's a shitty installment I still need to play it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9620 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

6 is a joke of a score and review, but I have grown accustomed to gamespot not having good reviews over the past few years.

I'm not saying it is a GREAT game by any means, just a good game. Above average? Yes. Maybe an 8.

An 8 on this website equals great

A 6 is an above average score

A 7 is good

5 would be the average on the scale gamespot uses, and that's how a 10 point scale should be. It's not a high school grading system, it's a critique, don't be ignorant mate.

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I pre-order games I am interesting in playing, it allows me to pay them off early in advance with small deposits here and there, and I don't subscribe to metacritic to tell me what I want to play.

Sometimes that works great for me: The Wonderful 101, and other times not so much: Destiny.

Yo, what's your take on Destiny?

The shooting mechanics are mostly good.

Everything else either sucks out right or comes with a "but", as in PvP is pretty fun, but there some straight up balance issues. If I was being nice the game is average, don't get me wrong it's not like the game is Resident Evil 6 or FF13, but it's closer to those games than it is a good game from where I'm sitting.

No... it has NEVER been that way here. Maybe it SAYS it is, but that has never been the case. Everyone has known for years that a 7 is GS's "average" score. Looking through my nearly 1,500 games a score of 6 or below are only given to pretty bad games. There are a few ok titles in the 4-5 range, but not many.

Area 51= 7.1 Armed and Dangerous= 7.3 Big Bumpin'= 5.3 Blinx 2= 6.3 Bomberman= 6.2 Bonanza Bros.= 6.1

CSI= 6.3 Cabela's Dangerous Hunts= 6.8 Call of Juarez: The Cartel= 6 Catwoman= 5.6

Those are some of my personally owned games... I can keep going. Which of the games I listed have better gameplay than Destiny's co-op? AS far as the PVP... well, yeah, I get that.

I guess my whole thing goes back to something I said a long time ago. If a game has BOTH a campaign and competitive MP, they should be given two separate scores. The campaign and co-op are a lot better than a 6. Another game tat suffered this fate was Spec Ops: The Line. Horrible MP but a killer campaign.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 WitIsWisdom

@foxhound_fox said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

6 is a joke of a score and review, but I have grown accustomed to gamespot not having good reviews over the past few years.

I'm not saying it is a GREAT game by any means, just a good game. Above average? Yes. Maybe an 8. However, the competitive MP sucks, so if they broke the game down like THIS:

8 for campaign and co-op and 4 for competitive MP, then I understand where the 6 came from... however, I don't really feel that the competitive MP was a big selling point, and was more of an afterthought from the beginning.

Should I list games on this site that scored ABOVE a 7? lol... oh we could have some fun there.

Now, as far as pre-ordering games... why not? It isn't like you can't cancel or move it to a different game. Might as well take your little extras if you were planning on purchasing the game anyways.

Having a little buyer's remorse there?

No, not at all. Why would I have buyers remorse? I would not have bought the game if I didn't enjoy the beta. As a matter of fact, I thought that I would NOT like the game, but decided to try the beta anyways. It was solid. The MP is a joke, but the campaign is above a 6. Whatever though... I definitely will not be losing any sleep.... back when this site was actually relevant I rocked my bad taste emblem with pride... lol

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I pre-order games I am interesting in playing, it allows me to pay them off early in advance with small deposits here and there, and I don't subscribe to metacritic to tell me what I want to play.

Sometimes that works great for me: The Wonderful 101, and other times not so much: Destiny.

Why don't you just save your money over time and wait for reviews and game footage from people you trust?

Cause I give 0 shyts about reviews and some random guy/gals opinion on a game, specially if they are my "fellow" gamers whom just seem to bash shyt w/o even playing a game...yeah you wonder why gaming journalism is going to shyt and people are starting to ignore user reviews over at metacritic, cause everyone is full of shyt.

Ether people over praise games or they over hate em, there's no middle ground anymore.

Except, if you actually read/listened to the reviews, many of them are "middle ground".

"The game is technically beautiful and has solid shooting mechanics, but the atmosphere feels sterile and missions are repetitive."

That is a "middle ground" statement. And it's also the general message almost all of the reviews that I've read have given. A "6" review is also, by definition, "middle ground". Sure, it may seem "shockingly low" for a game that has been hailed as the second coming of Christ by many people, but viewed as just another game, it's a decent score.

So what are you saying exactly?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Why don't you just save your money over time and wait for reviews and game footage from people you trust?

Cause I give 0 shyts about reviews and some random guy/gals opinion on a game, specially if they are my "fellow" gamers whom just seem to bash shyt w/o even playing a game...yeah you wonder why gaming journalism is going to shyt and people are starting to ignore user reviews over at metacritic, cause everyone is full of shyt.

Ether people over praise games or they over hate em, there's no middle ground anymore.

Except, if you actually read/listened to the reviews, many of them are "middle ground".

"The game is technically beautiful and has solid shooting mechanics, but the atmosphere feels sterile and missions are repetitive."

That is a "middle ground" statement. And it's also the general message almost all of the reviews that I've read have given. A "6" review is also, by definition, "middle ground". Sure, it may seem "shockingly low" for a game that has been hailed as the second coming of Christ by many people, but viewed as just another game, it's a decent score.

Ummm what the **** are you talking about!? I wanna see these people who are in your own little delusional world.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#65 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

My track record with pre ordering games is stellar. Every time I have, I have enjoyed the game. Why does a flop, which means the score didn't match the hype for a game matter to you when you play games? Do you only play what others deem good?

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bruin1986

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Ummm what the **** are you talking about!? I wanna see these people who are in your own little delusional world.

The next IP by the developer of the FPS phenomenon Halo and most expensive game of all time. Yeah, I don't have to go find the hype for you. You're a big boy and more than capable of that yourself.

Why not address my main point anyway instead of being distracted by a tangential point? You stated there is no "middle ground anymore" when the majority of major review sites are scoring Destiny exactly that. Middle ground. Some things are good about the game (graphics, shooting mechanics) where other aspects are poor (sterile world, poor story, repetitive).

The scoring scale goes from 1-10. Not 6-10. Them not scoring the game a 9 doesn't mean they are sensationalist. It's an average score...exactly what you are claiming doesn't exist.

Good day.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts

It's simple to know why retailers want people to pre-order. They want to gauge how much of something to order that people will buy it but not so much that they have excess inventory. Pre-orders set inventory levels of games. Ever wonder why they never have any new copies of games that aren't big sellers? Well, that's because nobody bothers to pre-orders. This is a problem very typical of retailers like GameStop, that for less popular titles once they get rid of their new copies they don't bother shipping in fresh inventory.

It used to be when people pre-ordered it was to guarantee themselves a copy of a title at launch.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

The next IP by the developer of the FPS phenomenon Halo and most expensive game of all time. Yeah, I don't have to go find the hype for you. You're a big boy and more than capable of that yourself.

Why not address my main point anyway instead of being distracted by a tangential point? You stated there is no "middle ground anymore" when the majority of major review sites are scoring Destiny exactly that. Middle ground. Some things are good about the game (graphics, shooting mechanics) where other aspects are poor (sterile world, poor story, repetitive).

The scoring scale goes from 1-10. Not 6-10. Them not scoring the game a 9 doesn't mean they are sensationalist. It's an average score...exactly what you are claiming doesn't exist.

Good day.

So in other words you can't find this so called "hype of hypes", "the game to end all" cause it doesn't exists. Some how that doesn't surprise me.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

My track record with pre ordering games is stellar. Every time I have, I have enjoyed the game. Why does a flop, which means the score didn't match the hype for a game matter to you when you play games? Do you only play what others deem good?

Did you enjoy those games because they were legitimately good, or were you trying to justify the expense and your preorder in your own mind. "After all, how could I have been wrong?"

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#70  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Well I didn't pre-order those... and generally I am OK with pre-ordering some games because I'm a big fan and don't mind them getting the money sooner... however, I kinda stopped pre-ordering, since they are starting to offer 'pre-order incentives' that make it either impossible or very expensive to buy the full game if you don't pre-order (sometimes even if you do). And that sucks.

I think the audacity of Bethesda with Elder Scrolls: Online made me draw a line. That game was almost $100 for the most complete (yet still incomplete) edition. Or was it even more? You had to also pay for a month...

I am not pre-ordering that Alien game because of Colonial Marines and the next Civilization will have to wait too since they f'd us over last time with 20 DLC packs and worse A.I. and no multiplayer. It kinda hurts not to pre-order Civ:Beyond Earth because I really want to play it, and I know they will get it right eventually.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I don't think I've pre-ordered a game in a long time. Not since Wrath of the Lich King simply because I loved WoW back then, and with the nature of that game you wanted to start leveling as early as possible so you could start raiding.

And I don't mind when people pre-order games that they know they'll like. I don't understand pre-ordering based off hype though. That's just stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#72  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Watch Dogs got an 8/10 and has an 81 on meta... how is that "flopping"? Beyond got an 9/10 on GS aswell. If you're gonna troll at least do it right

Anyway, I only pre-ordered WD and Destiny because I could save 15 euros by doing so, otherwise I wouldnt have done it. Its kinda of a gamble I kno but so far I havent been disappointed. I liked Watch Dogs very much and I'm enjoying the hell out of Destiny. I agree with the flaws pointed towards it but the gameplay is just so addictive I couldnt care less about reviews. Its an 8/10 game for me. As long as I can save some money by pre-ordering games I'm interested in I'll continue doing so. If there is no money saving involved then I'll just wait for reviews and buy them accordingly.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

With the amount of content developers are stripping from games to sell as Disk Rippoff Content or DLC I no longer preorder. I can't justify paying full retail day 1 for a lot of games. I don't buy into hype for games either. If its something I'm interested in I'll wait 6-9 months and buy it used or on sale. I save a lot of money doing this and I always have a huge backlog of games to play. They can shove their preorder BS and DLC up their rear.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#74 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A 7 is good

5 would be the average on the scale gamespot uses, and that's how a 10 point scale should be. It's not a high school grading system, it's a critique, don't be ignorant mate.

Everything else either sucks out right or comes with a "but", as in PvP is pretty fun, but there some straight up balance issues. If I was being nice the game is average, don't get me wrong it's not like the game is Resident Evil 6 or FF13, but it's closer to those games than it is a good game from where I'm sitting.

No... it has NEVER been that way here. Maybe it SAYS it is, but that has never been the case. Everyone has known for years that a 7 is GS's "average" score. Looking through my nearly 1,500 games a score of 6 or below are only given to pretty bad games. There are a few ok titles in the 4-5 range, but not many.

Area 51= 7.1 Armed and Dangerous= 7.3 Big Bumpin'= 5.3 Blinx 2= 6.3 Bomberman= 6.2 Bonanza Bros.= 6.1

CSI= 6.3 Cabela's Dangerous Hunts= 6.8 Call of Juarez: The Cartel= 6 Catwoman= 5.6

Those are some of my personally owned games... I can keep going. Which of the games I listed have better gameplay than Destiny's co-op? AS far as the PVP... well, yeah, I get that.

I guess my whole thing goes back to something I said a long time ago. If a game has BOTH a campaign and competitive MP, they should be given two separate scores. The campaign and co-op are a lot better than a 6. Another game tat suffered this fate was Spec Ops: The Line. Horrible MP but a killer campaign.

Oh you are trying to say something based on your opinion of the quality of those games, not the one of the reviewer reviewing the game. Totally could never see the logic failure there. Or the one where you're bringing up review scores from a review scale that they haven't used since 2007. The review scale has changed mate, and this one a 6 is above average. An 8 is meant to be great. And he didn't think it was great, he thought it was above average. Then there is the part where it's different reviews, no website is a hive mind that has identical opinions on games, no publication that does critiques of any kind is a hive mind that has identical thoughts on entertainment. You will get variation and differences, Van Ord is the reviewer on this game, he gave it a 6. For all we know Chris Watters would have given it a 7 or an 8, and Danny O would have been like **** that, it's a 4. You're putting too much emphasis on a number, because a game you like didn't get the result you would have liked.

I agree with the notion that campaign and mp might be deserving of their own separate reviews one day, or at the least the best part of the game shouldn't be discredited for a weaker running mate. That said this game didn't get slammed for PvP mate, majority of the reviews don't punish the PvP at all. It's the story and coop they are criticizing.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9442 Posts

I don't even see a point to pre-orders anymore, what with digital distribution and everything.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Bruin1986

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Good day.

So in other words you can't find this so called "hype of hypes", "the game to end all" cause it doesn't exists. Some how that doesn't surprise me.

Really champ?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-halo-creator-s-next-game-destiny-live-up-to-the-hype/1100-6417841/

http://guardianlv.com/2014/09/destiny-and-the-danger-of-over-hyped-games-video/

http://www.gameskinny.com/0yhtk/destinys-destiny-the-games-ultimate-position-in-history

It was so hyped, generic non-gaming periodicals were even talking about Destiny's hype.

"Tomorrow, the most anticipated game of the new generation, and arguably one of the most anticipated productions in all of video game history, launches."

"Bellevue studio launches most expensive, hyped video game in history"

That took literally 2 minutes of searching.

Now why not actually answer the primary question? Or will you continue to ignore it?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@mikhail said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I don't really on other people's opinions to tell me what to buy. Destiny looked fun to me, so I preordered it. And guess what? I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I'm 38 yrs old. I should know damn good and well by now what kind of games I know I'll enjoy before it comes out. Only a kid would ask such a question but one day when you grow up, you'll know yourself much better and your judgements will be much improved, enough to know beforehand if you'll like a game or not.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

I'm 38 yrs old. I should know damn good and well by now what kind of games I know I'll enjoy before it comes out. Only a kid would ask such a question but one day when you grow up, you'll know yourself much better and your judgements will be much improved, enough to know beforehand if you'll like a game or not.

So you have magically developed psychic powers and will know in advance everything about a game, including if it's riddled with bugs, has a shit story, is only 2 hours long, and all of that? INCREDIBLE!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@mikhail said:

Seriously, how many flops is it going to take before you just stop preordering? Aliens: Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs, Beyond: Two Souls, and now Destiny. It's not 20 years ago, we don't have to just pick games off the shelf anymore and hope they're good, or wait for Gamepro Magazine to come out to read a review.

Why do you keep preordering games? The shiny little baubles they offer you as preorder bonuses? Because you trust the developers? Buy into the hype? What is it about preordering that you can't resist?

Maybe because we don't consider what reviewers think as being all that matters with games. Beyond Two Souls, Watch Dogs and Destiny are all fun games for me. Problem?

Think about what you're saying. These games are "flops" because they don't always score in the range of 8.0 - 10.0? They sell millions and make money. Not really what I'd call flops.

You've spent too much time talking about games and buying into the game forum mentality instead of actually playing them.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@mikhail:

Last game I 'preordered' was Pillars of Eternity, and that's because I respect the developers pedigree.

Before that...I can't even remember the last time I did it. Maybe the original Mass Effect?

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@mikhail said:

Seriously, how many flops is it going to take before you just stop preordering? Aliens: Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs, Beyond: Two Souls, and now Destiny. It's not 20 years ago, we don't have to just pick games off the shelf anymore and hope they're good, or wait for Gamepro Magazine to come out to read a review.

Why do you keep preordering games? The shiny little baubles they offer you as preorder bonuses? Because you trust the developers? Buy into the hype? What is it about preordering that you can't resist?

just because you preordered doesnt mean you have to buy it ... it allows you to play it day 1

eb/gamestop holds the game for you for 48 hours anyways so you can choose to wait for reviews

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By cainetao11

@mikhail said:

@cainetao11 said:

Did you enjoy those games because they were legitimately good, or were you trying to justify the expense and your preorder in your own mind. "After all, how could I have been wrong?"

Legitimately good? Who but me decides what is good for my time and money? I'm too old to need to lie to myself.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

If it's a developer I trust I pre-order until they burn me. Bungie just did that so next time I'll be waiting for reviews and our price drops before they get my money. Only Rockstar North and Turn 10/Playground are left on my pepper list at the moment.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@mikhail said:

@cainetao11 said:

Legitimately good? Who but me decides what is good for my time and money? I'm too old to need to lie to myself.

Don't you know? Only paid professionals have the ability to distinguish good games from bad. Us lowly commoners don't have that power.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By cainetao11

@WitIsWisdom: No... it has NEVER been that way here. Maybe it SAYS it is, but that has never been the case.

That's fuckin stupid. It says 7=good, 8=great, etc because that's what it is here.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 cainetao11

@Bigboi500 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@mikhail said:

@cainetao11 said:

Don't you know? Only paid professionals have the ability to distinguish good games from bad. Us lowly commoners don't have that power.

LOL, thanks for enlightening me. As another said, by a certain age you have an idea what kind of game you like.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@jg4xchamp said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A 7 is good

Oh you are trying to say something based on your opinion of the quality of those games, not the one of the reviewer reviewing the game. Totally could never see the logic failure there. Or the one where you're bringing up review scores from a review scale that they haven't used since 2007. The review scale has changed mate, and this one a 6 is above average. An 8 is meant to be great. And he didn't think it was great, he thought it was above average. Then there is the part where it's different reviews, no website is a hive mind that has identical opinions on games, no publication that does critiques of any kind is a hive mind that has identical thoughts on entertainment. You will get variation and differences, Van Ord is the reviewer on this game, he gave it a 6. For all we know Chris Watters would have given it a 7 or an 8, and Danny O would have been like **** that, it's a 4. You're putting too much emphasis on a number, because a game you like didn't get the result you would have liked.

I agree with the notion that campaign and mp might be deserving of their own separate reviews one day, or at the least the best part of the game shouldn't be discredited for a weaker running mate. That said this game didn't get slammed for PvP mate, majority of the reviews don't punish the PvP at all. It's the story and coop they are criticizing.

I respect every opinion, as I respect GS's and yours. However, with that being said, one can rate a Ford Focus an 8 and that same person can give a Ferrari a 6 with so many varying factors. It isn't about opinions as much as it is about principle. The last time a game score kind of made me wonder was Spec Ops: The Line, and then there was Titanfall. All I am saying is that I FEEL (key word feel) that a 6 is overly bad just for the sake of making a statement. This isn't the first time that GS has done this in the last couple years either in favor of a game or vice versa.

I give scores about as much merit as a drop in a bucket the size of the Pacific, but to say the grading scale is so much different? No, not really... they simply dropped the decimal rating.

Anyone can twist and say "a 5 is average" or "8 means great." However REGARDLESS of how you look at a 1-10 scale a 6 is a 60%... Period. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. It doesn't matter if you say a 5 is average and a 6 is above average or if you say a 5 is a 50% and a 6 is a 60%. When taken into consideration with any other gaming site or those that compile scores, a 6 from gamespot equates to a 60% out of a total of 100%. Which is "below average" and drops composite scores overall.

Anyways though, I am done with this conversation, because it really doesn't bother me that much, I just find it more entertaining than most of this generation has provided so far, and slightly amusing. It looks as though I really care for this game... lol. Which I don't. I just find the yoyo effect hypocritical and uninformed. Opinions make the world turn, but don't think for one minute that my logic is flawed.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Because I like to spend the money I earn any way I want.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

lol.. Destiny really flopped, good thing i didn't preorder it. i would've regret it just like i did with Castlevania LoS2 and Lightning Returns

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

last game i pre ordered was ff13 and it was the worst final fantasy game i ever played

never pre order before reviews an stuff

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#93  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

In terms of Steam, if I don't preorder a game for say $50 AUS, I can know that the same game will be adjusted to $80 close to release. Noticing this more and more as a trend where you preorder quick when the price is right. Witcher 3 has done this, and now Shadow of Mordor.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#94  Edited By bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Well I haven't preordered a game in a long time, but when I used to I never cared about website reviews. I would view as much content about the game and if it peaked my interest then I would've preordered it, but usually I waited a couple of days until after it came out to make a better decision off of hundreds of customer reviews.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'll pre-order a game if I know I will enjoy the game a lot and if I really want it on release. Plus, as a PC gamer, pre-ordering is usually cheaper than not.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I pre-order because I want the games. I'm also a fan of limited/collector's editions for games I know I'll enjoy or for a franchise I love, such as Persona. I pre-ordered a lot more often in the past, especially when Amazon was throwing out 10-20 dollar credits for your pre-order.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

2 reasons:

1. Friends are also getting the game day 1

2. Interested in the game

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12070 Posts

Nothing wrong with preordering as long as you can cancel.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Pre-ordering has become an everyday part of gaming that isn't going away anytime soon (never if we're being serious). People will rush out to pre-order "insert game here" months to a year+ before it is released, pre-order bonus/incentive or not, and are doing so without any gameplay released (choo choo here comes the hype train). At the end of the day a person is free to spend their money as they please, but it seems developers have recognized this and are getting lazier. Why try when you already have millions in pre-orders locked down?

I used to be terrible for this back in high school. At the time I only had my DS and would pre-order almost every game I was interested in. You can imagine how that turned out and due to that got sucked into EB's screw-the-consumer trade in system.

As time passed and I got older and had more disposable income I became more aware of my spending habits - especially gaming. I still spend more on it then I would like to admit, but pre-ordering is something I rarely do. Since I switched mainly to PC gaming the only time I pre-order is if there is a limited edition/collector's edition that is only physical - Diablo III comes to mind as the most recent. In terms of my Vita I am digital only - no pre-orders here. For 3DS I only pre-order if it's a game I think will be low in stock and hard to find - especially if limited reprints. Most recent example is Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright as I figured that would be hard to find in a few months unless you want to pay a marked up price from a reseller. Learned this lesson the hard way with some DS games I missed out on and didn't want to pay the ridiculous asking prices for cartridge only used copies.

I want to say that it's ok to pre-order a game if it's from a trusted developer or highly acclaimed franchise, but we're slowly being shown otherwise. As I said earlier it's easy money in the bank for the developers and they don't have to refund your pre-order if you didn't like the game.