Why do people say PC is "held back" by consoles?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#101 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Cranler said:

@jsmoke03 said:

kind of wondered why pc developers dont go ahead and develop a pc exclusive showing off how good the pc hardware is. just saying

The core gaming market for pc isn't big enough. Dev budgets are too big now so the only route is kickstarter. Isn't Star Citizen supposed to be showing of the pc's full power?

well according to a lot of news and ppl in the forums, pc gaming is thriving and steam has more concurrent users than consoles. It doesnt look like consoles are holding pc back from anything...its the devs and publishers

@GarGx1 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

kind of wondered why pc developers dont go ahead and develop a pc exclusive showing off how good the pc hardware is. just saying

Yet when it does happen, look at the results -

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

thats good. like i said in previously above, its not consoles that are holding pc back, its the devs and publishers

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#102 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Cranler said:

@AzatiS said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Isn't PC held back by PC? I mean, most people don't buy or upgrade to the highest hardware every year. I would imagine developers want to make games for the majority of people, so they have to have a pretty wide scale, which includes many people who have low end PCs and last gen consoles. Also, aren't hardcore PC gamers in the minority?

What makes you think that if PS4/X1 had x2 better hardware specifications developers wouldnt take advantage of every single % of their power ? Ofc they would. So much PC power goes wasted all these years because of X360/PS3 and now PS4/X1 are already way behind on their release.. Come on.

PC does hold back PC. If Crysis had sold 5 million copies at full price then maybe the franchise would have remained pc only and then other devs would have followed with their own pc only graphical powerhouses.

Game development is too expensive now to be pc only.

Having the hardware to play every pc game at or near release from from the 90's to 2007 was simply too expensive for most people.

If consoles didn't exist then console only gamers would either quit gaming or buy cheap pc's. They certainly wouldn't become a part of the enthusiast crowd that upgrades every 2 years.

Nothing of what you said has anything to do with what my point was. ..

newxerxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103 newxerxes
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@Cranler said:

@AzatiS said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Isn't PC held back by PC? I mean, most people don't buy or upgrade to the highest hardware every year. I would imagine developers want to make games for the majority of people, so they have to have a pretty wide scale, which includes many people who have low end PCs and last gen consoles. Also, aren't hardcore PC gamers in the minority?

What makes you think that if PS4/X1 had x2 better hardware specifications developers wouldnt take advantage of every single % of their power ? Ofc they would. So much PC power goes wasted all these years because of X360/PS3 and now PS4/X1 are already way behind on their release.. Come on.

PC does hold back PC. If Crysis had sold 5 million copies at full price then maybe the franchise would have remained pc only and then other devs would have followed with their own pc only graphical powerhouses.

Having the hardware to play every pc game at or near release from from the 90's to 2007 was simply too expensive for most people.

If consoles didn't exist then console only gamers would either quit gaming or buy cheap pc's. They certainly wouldn't become a part of the enthusiast crowd that upgrades every 2 years.

You said pc's power goes wasted because of X360/PS3. Cranler made the claim that pc power goes wasted because not enough pc gamers buy cutting edge games like Crysis.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

Its a stupid fanboy myth created by PC elitists to make them feel more secure about their $1,000ish PCs. The truth is that devs have to take all sorts of configurations into account when developing games for any platform, especially the PC since there is a wide range of configurations in the market, most being mid range or low end.

eBOOM_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 eBOOM_88
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

@PAL360 said:

Consoles do hold back PC, but not at launch, or in the first few years of the generation, like some PC fanboys like to claim. Once the standard PC is more powerful than the consoles (again, 3 or 4 years into the gen), some games are indeed only possible on PC.

Well with how weak consoles are this gen the standard "new" PC for gaming is already better.

A low end card like the 750ti can perform better than the PS4.

And the newer cards are coming out at the end of the year and beginning of next year.

So soon even the weakest dedicated video cards will be better than the PS4.

A 750ti isn't low end. I'm still rocking a 460 so by your standard I'd be even lower than low-low-end, something like pathetic-end.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Because fanboys.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@eboom_88 said:

@RyviusARC said:

@PAL360 said:

Consoles do hold back PC, but not at launch, or in the first few years of the generation, like some PC fanboys like to claim. Once the standard PC is more powerful than the consoles (again, 3 or 4 years into the gen), some games are indeed only possible on PC.

Well with how weak consoles are this gen the standard "new" PC for gaming is already better.

And the newer cards are coming out at the end of the year and beginning of next year.

A 750ti isn't low end. I'm still rocking a 460 so by your standard I'd be even lower than low-low-end, something like pathetic-end.

I meant that the 750ti is the low end card for the 700 series.

And yes a 460 is pretty old and was never a high end card it was mid end 4 years ago.

eBOOM_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 eBOOM_88

@RyviusARC said:

@eboom_88 said:

@RyviusARC said:

I meant that the 750ti is the low end card for the 700 series.

And yes a 460 is pretty old and was never a high end card it was mid end 4 years ago.

Ah then all is good. And yes I know my 460 is kinda pathetic but I'm not much of a PCGamer so it's enough right now. I'll upgrade to a 860 when it releases though, I wanna play GTA V on PC since that will undoubtedly be the best version.

eBOOM_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By eBOOM_88
@newxerxes said:

@AzatiS said:

@Cranler said:

You said pc's power goes wasted because of X360/PS3. Cranler made the claim that pc power goes wasted because not enough pc gamers buy cutting edge games like Crysis.

And that is true. Crytek tried to chase that console money because their game got pirated more than it got bought. Sadly for them they failed and now they're crying and selling all their IPs so that they can make F2P games.

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:

@Cranler said:

@jsmoke03 said:

The core gaming market for pc isn't big enough. Dev budgets are too big now so the only route is kickstarter. Isn't Star Citizen supposed to be showing of the pc's full power?

well according to a lot of news and ppl in the forums, pc gaming is thriving and steam has more concurrent users than consoles. It doesnt look like consoles are holding pc back from anything...its the devs and publishers

thats good. like i said in previously above, its not consoles that are holding pc back, its the devs and publishers

Steam concurrent user count is to be tsken with a grain of salt. Steam logs in users by default on bootup. I'm logged into steam right now.

Last time I checked only about 11% of steam users had pc's better than the PS 4. It's also quite possible that those with killer rigs are more likely to participate in the survey.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@timster20 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@Cranler said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Steam concurrent user count is to be tsken with a grain of salt. Steam logs in users by default on bootup. I'm logged into steam right now.

Last time I checked only about 11% of steam users had pc's better than the PS 4. It's also quite possible that those with killer rigs are more likely to participate in the survey.

Based on what evidence?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@Cranler said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Based on what evidence?

i'd also like to know this. been using steam for years and i dont even know where to take this survey.

xerxesbraun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 xerxesbraun
Member since 2014 • 86 Posts

@lawlessx said:
@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@Cranler said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Based on what evidence?

i'd also like to know this. been using steam for years and i dont even know where to take this survey.

Sounds like Timster is implying that people with great pc's like to show them off thus they are more likely to participate in the survey.

Survey request comes up randomly. I get maybe 2 requests a year.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#114  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Watchdogs.

And it's not always about graphics.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

Watchdogs.

And it's not always about graphics.

The game would have never been made had it not been for consoles though.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#116  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

that's why PC games have multiple settings to choose from including resolution, anti-aliasing filters, lighting effects, texture sizes, shadow quality, etc. so you can get the most out of whatever your PC hardware may be. and for the ignorants out there they almost always include low, medium, high, and ultra for the default settings.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

PC is held back by console because the current business model says if you make a AAA title it has to be across 3/4 platforms. If that is the case then you create the game to work on the weakest of these platforms. I can't blame the developers and publishers, games are expensive to make and they want the greatest ROI but it is frustrating to have so much stagnation in the industry.

N34Li0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 N34Li0
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@cainetao11: I think you just won the internet

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#119 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@N34Li0 said:

@cainetao11: I think you just won the internet

My acceptance speech: I'd like to thank the human beings who come here, and although may have a slight preference in platform understand that other platforms play games. We like games. In business one doesn't have to buy what one doesn't wish to. So play on anything, if possible everything.

Second, I still believe the reason people say "PC is held back by consoles" is because the TCs anus, as I said in my second post on page 1.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#120 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

3 things:

Controls - You can imagine the disappointment when launching a game to find out that the interface is clunky because it has been designed with a controller in mind (Skyrim, for example).

Lack of options - PC gaming is about scalability and options; being able to push the latest hardware as well as scale it back to accommodate lower-end PCs. I shouldn't have to use a wrapper library to enable graphical features and remove frame rate caps. (Dark Souls, for example)

Dumbed-down Gameplay - We're back to controls again. Console-designed games often end up with stripped-down gameplay since there is arguably less control with a gamepad. You lose hot-keys, grouping and a lot of other strategy elements resulting in a much less satisfying experience. (Dragon Age 2, for example)

Basically a lot of games get designed to the specs of a console, and then ported to the PC with very little change. Thus games often get held back by consoles. It's pretty sad when it happens. Even if we drop the graphics/hardware argument, it's still very sad.

Man you have no idea what you're talking about lol. Gameplay a la game design aspects hasn't improved beyond PS2 era video games; the digital test of your abilities has been reached (as far as this control type goes), so there's no way designing games "with a controller in mind" holds back games that can be played on both PC and consoles.

Certain games just can't be played effectively with a controller. When one of those makes its way from PC to console the result is usually a stripped experience. It happens all the time. I even provided you with examples. The fact that you say I don't know what I'm talking about shows how little you know about what you're talking.

That has nothing to do with game design or the console. You didn't provide any examples where game design was limited by a console or a PC; you only cited controllers, indicating that you really don't know what you're talking about. Do you think people make arguments for how PC versions of games like Devil May Cry 3 are held back because they are designed with controllers in mind?

The point is that control scheme has nothing to do with the capabilities of the machine it's played on, and the maximum digital test via controls like this has literally been reached on every machine, making it so that it is impossible for the console to be holding back actual game design on PC.

Why do I even post here?

Ugh.. you're hopeless. who would want to play DMC without a controller?

You see, when a game is in the planning phase, decisions get made about its design. Decisions like how the user will interact with the UI. My point is: clunky controller interfaces suck.

...and stop talking about digital tests. It means nothing.

What's actually hopeless is the argument you can't defend.

A video game digitally tests your abilities - literally. Don't pretend like you don't know what I mean.

"Clunky controller interfaces suck..." that's up to the developer to design correctly. It still does not have to do with the console it is being developed for.

This isn't an argument. You're just sort of typing at me. I'm telling you controller interfaces left over in PC ports are often sluggish. This is a true thing that happens.

This is before we even get to the argument about how dumbed-down games can be. The risk of awesome strategy game franchises getting ruined by publishers who think we want less-complicated, action games is real. There are some games you just can't play well with a controller (this is a true fact and you know it). So when a publisher forces a game to go from PC to all platforms, certain compromises have to be made. Dragon Age is a perfect for gameplay. Skyrim is a perfect example for interface.

A test of skill doesn't have anything to do with this. These are design decisions based on primary hardware and assumptions about the target consumer. This is a lowest common denominator industry. So who is really holding back gaming? Casual gamers; and what do they mostly use for 'gaming'? Consoles. Don't get me wrong, consoles are great and gaming certainly owes something to them. It's the industry that's at fault here.

More drivel, still no substantiation for the claim that consoles "hold back" PC games. It's really a claim only people who have a limited understanding of what game design is, indicated by your additional claim that a game is not testing your execution digitally. Yes, fundamentally at every level that is what a game is testing: your execution of commands. Hardware these days *does not limit* this to the extent that it can be implemented. Do you get this? It doesn't matter what it's being developed for.

Action games are not less complicated than RTS games; in fact, RTS games are substantially slowed down action in many regards. You're opening up a much different can of worms with that.

There are also many games you can't play well with a keyboard (and mouse), but you cried instead of admitting it. Also, game design on a particular platform literally has nothing to do with the control scheme. You also have not admitted this simple fact.

As an aside, I can bring up 2-4 button games that are so complicated you would not be able to beat them in years. As an example, I'll post a 3 button game released around the era I referred to when a game could maximally test the player via execution. Keep in mind there are a lot of tactical and strategic maneuvers to maintain both score and completion, and difficulty is not the variable I am referring to.
http://youtu.be/uuFSjmpYBEQ?t=19m56s
I've began the video at his playthrough of the second loop (first loop is hard enough) of the game just to give you an idea of how complicated the game is despite the seemingly simple control scheme. I hope you learn something from watching this. Maybe you could try the game out as well; I recommend it to every gamer as a break from passive gaming. It's a problem if you can easily beat every game in your library without improving.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#121 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@pyro1245 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

3 things:

Controls - You can imagine the disappointment when launching a game to find out that the interface is clunky because it has been designed with a controller in mind (Skyrim, for example).

Lack of options - PC gaming is about scalability and options; being able to push the latest hardware as well as scale it back to accommodate lower-end PCs. I shouldn't have to use a wrapper library to enable graphical features and remove frame rate caps. (Dark Souls, for example)

Dumbed-down Gameplay - We're back to controls again. Console-designed games often end up with stripped-down gameplay since there is arguably less control with a gamepad. You lose hot-keys, grouping and a lot of other strategy elements resulting in a much less satisfying experience. (Dragon Age 2, for example)

Basically a lot of games get designed to the specs of a console, and then ported to the PC with very little change. Thus games often get held back by consoles. It's pretty sad when it happens. Even if we drop the graphics/hardware argument, it's still very sad.

Man you have no idea what you're talking about lol. Gameplay a la game design aspects hasn't improved beyond PS2 era video games; the digital test of your abilities has been reached (as far as this control type goes), so there's no way designing games "with a controller in mind" holds back games that can be played on both PC and consoles.

Certain games just can't be played effectively with a controller. When one of those makes its way from PC to console the result is usually a stripped experience. It happens all the time. I even provided you with examples. The fact that you say I don't know what I'm talking about shows how little you know about what you're talking.

That has nothing to do with game design or the console. You didn't provide any examples where game design was limited by a console or a PC; you only cited controllers, indicating that you really don't know what you're talking about. Do you think people make arguments for how PC versions of games like Devil May Cry 3 are held back because they are designed with controllers in mind?

The point is that control scheme has nothing to do with the capabilities of the machine it's played on, and the maximum digital test via controls like this has literally been reached on every machine, making it so that it is impossible for the console to be holding back actual game design on PC.

Why do I even post here?

Ugh.. you're hopeless. who would want to play DMC without a controller?

You see, when a game is in the planning phase, decisions get made about its design. Decisions like how the user will interact with the UI. My point is: clunky controller interfaces suck.

...and stop talking about digital tests. It means nothing.

What's actually hopeless is the argument you can't defend.

A video game digitally tests your abilities - literally. Don't pretend like you don't know what I mean.

"Clunky controller interfaces suck..." that's up to the developer to design correctly. It still does not have to do with the console it is being developed for.

This isn't an argument. You're just sort of typing at me. I'm telling you controller interfaces left over in PC ports are often sluggish. This is a true thing that happens.

This is before we even get to the argument about how dumbed-down games can be. The risk of awesome strategy game franchises getting ruined by publishers who think we want less-complicated, action games is real. There are some games you just can't play well with a controller (this is a true fact and you know it). So when a publisher forces a game to go from PC to all platforms, certain compromises have to be made. Dragon Age is a perfect for gameplay. Skyrim is a perfect example for interface.

A test of skill doesn't have anything to do with this. These are design decisions based on primary hardware and assumptions about the target consumer. This is a lowest common denominator industry. So who is really holding back gaming? Casual gamers; and what do they mostly use for 'gaming'? Consoles. Don't get me wrong, consoles are great and gaming certainly owes something to them. It's the industry that's at fault here.

More drivel, still no substantiation for the claim that consoles "hold back" PC games. It's really a claim only people who have a limited understanding of what game design is, indicated by your additional claim that a game is not testing your execution digitally. Yes, fundamentally at every level that is what a game is testing: your execution of commands. Hardware these days *does not limit* this to the extent that it can be implemented. Do you get this? It doesn't matter what it's being developed for.

Action games are not less complicated than RTS games; in fact, RTS games are substantially slowed down action in many regards. You're opening up a much different can of worms with that.

There are also many games you can't play well with a keyboard (and mouse), but you cried instead of admitting it. Also, game design on a particular platform literally has nothing to do with the control scheme. You also have not admitted this simple fact.

As an aside, I can bring up 2-4 button games that are so complicated you would not be able to beat them in years. As an example, I'll post a 3 button game released around the era I referred to when a game could maximally test the player via execution. Keep in mind there are a lot of tactical and strategic maneuvers to maintain both score and completion, and difficulty is not the variable I am referring to.

http://youtu.be/uuFSjmpYBEQ?t=19m56s

I've began the video at his playthrough of the second loop (first loop is hard enough) of the game just to give you an idea of how complicated the game is despite the seemingly simple control scheme. I hope you learn something from watching this. Maybe you could try the game out as well; I recommend it to every gamer as a break from passive gaming. It's a problem if you can easily beat every game in your library without improving.

ugh... you take forever to say nothing. No I don't want to play that game. way off topic here...... did you even read the OP? Because it looks like I didn't.

Give it a rest, bud. We all know games involve pressing buttons.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#122  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Because this is a forum designed for fanboys to attack other platforms that do essentially, what they profess to love. Play games. So all sorts of rationalizations and nonsense are posted here. Its really subjective, yet fun to read at times.

It makes me sad, honestly.

All this hate and arguing over pointless shit has killed my passion for gaming. I hate it that this hobby that I once held strong passion for is represented by people who constantly argue over who has the better system. People need to just fucking learn to live and let live. Get over the stupid horseshit, and just play games.

My passion for gaming died when I realized that the most vocal people who play games don't do it because they love games..... they do it to achieve the "best" possible gaming rig possible so they can gloat about it.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#123 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I just got back into PC gaming. Pretty rad.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BmXYf7

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@lostrib said:

@treedoor said:

I have a last gen PC.

Come at me, PC bros

what's a last gen PC?

A 600 series Nvidia graphics card I'd guess, or the AMD equivalent.

"PC"s don't have "generations", but hardware components sure do, and considering the GPU is by far the most important piece of hardware related to gaming performance it makes sense to group PCs by their relative gaming performance based on what series (or "generation") graphics card they have.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Because there is too much money in console game sales for Devs to ignore it. So, they have to make their games have some sort of parity. PCs can produce better graphics than the PS4/XBox One right now. In 3-4 years, the difference will be quite dramatic. But, most PC gamers won't get to experience everything thier machines have to offer because most games will have a console version, and the graphic engines will be mostly designed with consoles in mind.

It's true. But, I hate gaming on a PC, so I don't care too much.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Because PC developers often make their games on consoles, where limited hardware requires them to scale back their entire project in order to run on all platforms equally (parity isn't necessary but it's way more cost effective).

End of the day its the developers decision. Its just people want to point their anger somewhere.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#127 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@cainetao11 said:

Because this is a forum designed for fanboys to attack other platforms that do essentially, what they profess to love. Play games. So all sorts of rationalizations and nonsense are posted here. Its really subjective, yet fun to read at times.

It makes me sad, honestly.

All this hate and arguing over pointless shit has killed my passion for gaming. I hate it that this hobby that I once held strong passion for is represented by people who constantly argue over who has the better system. People need to just fucking learn to live and let live. Get over the stupid horseshit, and just play games.

My passion for gaming died when I realized that the most vocal people who play games don't do it because they love games..... they do it to achieve the "best" possible gaming rig possible so they can gloat about it.

Really no way for me to argue. The graphical difference in PS4 and X1 is, so far an afterthought. Is the PS4 more powerful? Yes. Is it a game breaking difference? No. And if it is, why settle for less than high end PC? Because that difference is already bigger, only to get bigger. Games. That's what its about. And that is completely subjective. There are retarded human beings who think if something is rated low by the majority that means something is wrong with a person for liking it. These sad souls make me laugh at how trapped inside an idea they are.