Why do people bash 360 for having multiple disk when

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ridlyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ridlyz
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

PS3 has install times for each game

I played MGS4 and you have to wait 10 minutes for each install time after every act

While changing disc takes about 4 seconds

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Here we go again

No one has a problem with changing disc, you need to understand that one of the most marketed features of the PS3 is its Blu-ray drive. Regardless about how cows feel about disc-swapping, they are going to bash the 360 for it. Its about finding any little excuse to make the PS3 look better.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

I played MGS4 and you have to wait 10 minutes for each install time after every act

Are you sure about 10 minutes for each install between the acts?
DarkyC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkyC
Member since 2007 • 713 Posts
Yes, but all 360 multiple disc games are badly packaged and damage one disk.
gunit3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gunit3000
Member since 2004 • 360 Posts
You mean 2 to 3 min right?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I've noticed that the number of mandatory installs has been decreasing recently. All the big exclusive games this holiday season don't have any and none of the big multiplats seem to either. I think Far Cry 2 was the last big game to have one.
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

Ridlyz
1. Not every PS3 game requires an install. 2. Its more like 3-5 minutes per act. 3. Loading from the HDD (@40-50MBps) saves time vs loading from a disc (12x DVD@12-16MBps). In the end you actually save time.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
What the real world thinks is a big deal does not = what system wars thinks is a big deal.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
What the real world thinks is a big deal does not = what system wars thinks is a big deal.rybe1025
and the sooner you stop pointing that out the slower we will die.
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
MGS4 is the ONLY PS3 game that requires you to install multiple times, very few actually require you to install
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts

Ridlyz
TC did you actually play MGS4 or did someone tell you about the installs? Because if my memory serves me correctly the first install was 5mins and the rest for each act was only 3mins. Also tell me why I did not have to do a big mandatory install for R2, LBP, Dead Space and Valkyria Chronicles? GG even stated NO INSTALLS FOR KZ2. Seems like that excuse is starting to run dry.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

skektek
1. Not every PS3 game requires an install. 2. Its more like 3-5 minutes per act. 3. Loading from the HDD (@40-50MBps) saves time vs loading from a disc (12x DVD@12-16MBps). In the end you actually save time.

1. Not every game requires multiple discs either, so that point is moot. 2. Swapping discs takes 10-30 seconds, even doing so between every act still saves a LOT of time. 3. Would only apply in situations where the disc can't load things quick enough. Since both the disc and the HDD are sufficient for most of the gameplay, you aren't "saving time". You didn't really believe this point when you wrote it did you?
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
[QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

Steppy_76

1. Not every game requires multiple discs either, so that point is moot. 2. Swapping discs takes 10-30 seconds, even doing so between every act still saves a LOT of time. 3. Would only apply in situations where the disc can't load things quick enough. Since both the disc and the HDD are sufficient for most of the gameplay, you aren't "saving time". You didn't really believe this point when you wrote it did you?

What if one of the disc gets damaged are lost? :(
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I honestly dont mind changing to another disc a whole total of 2 times.

Wasnt a problem for all the games on ps1 and ps2 that had multiple disc, wasnt a problem for muliple discs on pc that i have, and hasnt been a problem yet on any 360 games that have lots of discs (blue dragon,l lost odyssey, last remnant,etc..). Changing a disc after a month is not a problem imo for an rpg.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Steppy_76
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="skektek"] 1. Not every PS3 game requires an install. 2. Its more like 3-5 minutes per act. 3. Loading from the HDD (@40-50MBps) saves time vs loading from a disc (12x DVD@12-16MBps). In the end you actually save time.GranReyUno

What happens if you lose your PS3 disc or its get damaged?
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Steppy_76"]1. Not every game requires multiple discs either, so that point is moot. 2. Swapping discs takes 10-30 seconds, even doing so between every act still saves a LOT of time. 3. Would only apply in situations where the disc can't load things quick enough. Since both the disc and the HDD are sufficient for most of the gameplay, you aren't "saving time". You didn't really believe this point when you wrote it did you?Steppy_76

Might lose it, but it won't get damaged.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Steppy_76
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"] What if one of the disc gets damaged are lost? :(110million

It is definitely more scratch resistant, but it sure isn't damage proof. Nor is it scratch proof. Heck, if it was damage proof than who needs kevlar, just duct tape a few bluray discs over your chest.
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

It was kinda annoying having to install at every act in MGS 4, wasn't 10 mins, but having a 2-3 min load time at the start of the act is annoying. Swaping discs would had been faster.

[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"]What if one of the disc gets damaged are lost? :(110million

The Blu-Ray disc may keep it save from being scratched, but not damaged. Also why does this having multiple discs would be easy to lose or damage? I had never lost any CD or DVD, and I have alot of them, and a ton of multiple disc games.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Not all games use installs. With blu ray you can copy data lots on a disk to make load times better.

and installs are better. I can imagine Killzone 2 might have an install, now imagine playing that game, a game devs made to be very immersive, then it tells you to swap disks... It completely ruins it.

Its called advancing, by your logic I guess we should just stck to CD's, or maybe vinals...

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Steppy_76

Not all games use installs. With blu ray you can copy data lots on a disk to make load times better.

and installs are better. I can imagine Killzone 2 might have an install, now imagine playing that game, a game devs made to be very immersive, then it tells you to swap disks... It completely ruins it.

Its called advancing, by your logic I guess we should just stck to CD's, or maybe vinals...

NinjaMunkey01
1. When we see a non RPG get multiple discs, THEN use that point, until now it's been ALL RPG's. 2. Even IF a non RPG was on two discs, now the 360 can install the game completely to the HDD also. And if they choose not to, there is STILL less downtime than having an install. Seriously, a disc swap takes less than 30 seconds. 3. Wouldn't a "please sit through this install of 3 minutes" be MORE distracting that swapping a disc? 4. If you used logic you'd realize that BOTH dvd and bluray sit above the "cutoff" line of multiple discs 99% of the time, while CD's would be below that threshold 99% of the time. That argument is weak and always has been.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"]

1. When we see a non RPG get multiple discs, THEN use that point, until now it's been ALL RPG's. 2. Even IF a non RPG was on two discs, now the 360 can install the game completely to the HDD also. And if they choose not to, there is STILL less downtime than having an install. Seriously, a disc swap takes less than 30 seconds. 3. Wouldn't a "please sit through this install of 3 minutes" be MORE distracting that swapping a disc? 4. If you used logic you'd realize that BOTH dvd and bluray sit above the "cutoff" line of multiple discs 99% of the time, while CD's would be below that threshold 99% of the time. That argument is weak and always has been.

Nothing weak about what I said, the devs said each level in Killzone 2 takes up 2 gigs, so far we know that there are at least 6 levels, thats what gaming sites have been shown, and there are more. so thats already 12Gigs, above what DVD will hold, plus there is online play too. So thats a shooter that wont work on the 360 MGS4 uses around 30gigs, theres loads of uncompressed sound and HD movies, on the 360 its multiple disks or non HD content. So theres 2 non RPG games that wont fit on one disk. Im guessing the install bit is talking about MGS4, and there I agree with you, personally i ish they let you just install it all at once. Not all games work well with installs and actually make the game worse, most 360's only have 20gigs of hard drive space, some of which used for the system, try fitting MGS4 on that.... And then many 360's DONT HAVE HARDDRIVES. Well there stuffed really arnt they... Its all good and well saying my argument is weak, but then its easy to find flaws in yours.
Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
It's 1 minute to install between acts and just like with installs disc changing is exaggerated
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Both are problems, but neither are significant problems IMO.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpruceCaboose
It's 1 minute to install between acts and just like with installs disc changing is exaggeratedMongo-Boss
What? It was longer than a minute for me, closer to 5-8 depending on the Act.
Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mongo-Boss
[QUOTE="Mongo-Boss"]It's 1 minute to install between acts and just like with installs disc changing is exaggeratedSpruceCaboose

Longest one is the first one when you install the game but between acts I never had anything pass 2 minutes I think.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Mongo-Boss"]It's 1 minute to install between acts and just like with installs disc changing is exaggeratedMongo-Boss

Longest one is the first one when you install the game but between acts I never had anything pass 2 minutes I think.

Hmm...I did. None were overly long, but they were all around 5 minutes for me, not counting the first which was about 8-10.
Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mongo-Boss
[QUOTE="Mongo-Boss"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] What? It was longer than a minute for me, closer to 5-8 depending on the Act.SpruceCaboose

Hmm...I did. None were overly long, but they were all around 5 minutes for me, not counting the first which was about 8-10.

I have no idea which is the one that is out of the normal install time frame, if anything I found the load times between areas to be more bothersome than the installs.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Steppy_76
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"]

Nothing weak about what I said, the devs said each level in Killzone 2 takes up 2 gigs, so far we know that there are at least 6 levels, thats what gaming sites have been shown, and there are more. RESPONSE: One has to ask WHY each level takes up that much space. Are they duplicating data to get around BR read speeds? Also, even IF that's the case, you'd spend a total of 30 seconds swapping discs...far from not working "well". so thats already 12Gigs, above what DVD will hold, plus there is online play too. So thats a shooter that wont work on the 360 RESPONSE: No, that's a shooter that may not work without a 30 second disc swap. It most definately would work. MGS4 uses around 30gigs, theres loads of uncompressed sound and HD movies, on the 360 its multiple disks or non HD content. So theres 2 non RPG games that wont fit on one disk. RESPONSE: No, there's a shooter that "may" not fit on one disc, and one that won't...yet swapping discs on the 360 would result in less downtime. Either way, 2 out of what 500+ games this gen? Im guessing the install bit is talking about MGS4, and there I agree with you, personally i ish they let you just install it all at once. Not all games work well with installs and actually make the game worse, most 360's only have 20gigs of hard drive space, some of which used for the system, try fitting MGS4 on that.... And then many 360's DONT HAVE HARDDRIVES. Well there stuffed really arnt they... RESPONSE: Nope, they just use disc swaps and get quicker transitions between levels by a factor of 10 then they would on the single disc PS3 version. Its all good and well saying my argument is weak, but then its easy to find flaws in yours.

I didn't say your ENTIRE arugment was weak, just the "let's stick with cd's" part that cows throw out when somebody questions the need of bluray.
DigitalDecay77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DigitalDecay77
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

Ridlyz

And this is an argument that gets brought up in every "*insert 360 game here* is on multiple disks!" thread (which aren't even all that common). I don't see why you would feel the need to make a thread about it...:roll:
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

Ridlyz
Isn't it a ten minute initial install and 2-3 minutes between acts? I don't remember 10 minutes between acts.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
there are barely any 360 games that have multiple discs.
cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
You mean 2 to 3 min right?gunit3000
Regardless, 2-3 minutes is WAY longer than the 20 seconds it takes to change the disc and have it load.
Avatar image for DontBeHatin1983
DontBeHatin1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DontBeHatin1983
Member since 2008 • 1044 Posts

Ridlyz
each install is not 10min and each act takes about 2/3min to install you never played the game. i really dont know why people compare installs and multiple disks, install a game on your HDD can benefit the games multiply disk dosent.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
Yes, but all 360 multiple disc games are badly packaged and damage one disk.DarkyC
What? :?
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Steppy_76
[QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

DontBeHatin1983
each install is not 10min and each act takes about 2/3min to install you never played the game. i really dont know why people compare installs and multiple disks, install a game on your HDD can benefit the games multiply disk dosent.

Multiple discs would cut that 2-3 minutes down to 10-20 seconds, so in that case multiple disks work better than installs.
wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
[QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

skektek
1. Not every PS3 game requires an install.Not every xbox 360 game has muliti disc 2. Its more like 3-5 minutes per act.Right! 3. Loading from the HDD (@40-50MBps) saves time vs loading from a disc (12x DVD@12-16MBps).wow u are soo wrong In the end you actually save time.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
nice over exaggerarting. the max time needed for install between acts is 3 mins. either way the main reason people say that is because MS would always say that blu ray isn't needed this gen and it's coming around to bite time in the ***. besides having to switch discs is okay for some games but it does means games have to be designed in a linear way and is forces anyone who makes a sandbox game to work with only 1 disc cause you can't have mutiple discs in those types of games
Avatar image for abd_alazeez2002
abd_alazeez2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 abd_alazeez2002
Member since 2005 • 328 Posts
in term of industry M$ charge developers more money if they make a game with more than one disk which negative with sony
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts
Do you people realise that you guys are arguing over something that's insignificant? Also keep in mind that fanboys like to exaggerate.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="Steppy_76"]1. When we see a non RPG get multiple discs, THEN use that point, until now it's been ALL RPG's. 2. Even IF a non RPG was on two discs, now the 360 can install the game completely to the HDD also. And if they choose not to, there is STILL less downtime than having an install. Seriously, a disc swap takes less than 30 seconds. 3. Wouldn't a "please sit through this install of 3 minutes" be MORE distracting that swapping a disc? 4. If you used logic you'd realize that BOTH dvd and bluray sit above the "cutoff" line of multiple discs 99% of the time, while CD's would be below that threshold 99% of the time. That argument is weak and always has been.Steppy_76
Nothing weak about what I said, the devs said each level in Killzone 2 takes up 2 gigs, so far we know that there are at least 6 levels, thats what gaming sites have been shown, and there are more. RESPONSE: One has to ask WHY each level takes up that much space. Are they duplicating data to get around BR read speeds? Also, even IF that's the case, you'd spend a total of 30 seconds swapping discs...far from not working "well". so thats already 12Gigs, above what DVD will hold, plus there is online play too. So thats a shooter that wont work on the 360 RESPONSE: No, that's a shooter that may not work without a 30 second disc swap. It most definately would work. MGS4 uses around 30gigs, theres loads of uncompressed sound and HD movies, on the 360 its multiple disks or non HD content. So theres 2 non RPG games that wont fit on one disk. RESPONSE: No, there's a shooter that "may" not fit on one disc, and one that won't...yet swapping discs on the 360 would result in less downtime. Either way, 2 out of what 500+ games this gen? Im guessing the install bit is talking about MGS4, and there I agree with you, personally i ish they let you just install it all at once. Not all games work well with installs and actually make the game worse, most 360's only have 20gigs of hard drive space, some of which used for the system, try fitting MGS4 on that.... And then many 360's DONT HAVE HARDDRIVES. Well there stuffed really arnt they... RESPONSE: Nope, they just use disc swaps and get quicker transitions between levels by a factor of 10 then they would on the single disc PS3 version. Its all good and well saying my argument is weak, but then its easy to find flaws in yours.

I didn't say your ENTIRE arugment was weak, just the "let's stick with cd's" part that cows throw out when somebody questions the need of bluray.

Right I understand what you mean now. Im not literally saying we should stick with CD's, its just to prove my point. If we always stick with DVD no developer will ever make a game larger due to itsa constraints, though by using blu ray we give developers the CHOICE to make larger and more detailed games, of course not all of the will take that choice straight away, but first party devs are already using blu ray to make larger games without multiple disks, and soon enough des will want to make larger and better games. Its like with HD tv's, to start with there was not loads of content to go with them, but now more and more people are making things specificly for HDTV's. Its the same with blu ray, by having it on the ps3 we ALLOW devs to use that space. Wich encourages bigger and better games.
Avatar image for CheckingAvailab
CheckingAvailab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CheckingAvailab
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts
yeah, i too have noticed that sony fanboys tend to nit pick other consoles' tiny faults while ignoring their own much worse ones
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NinjaMunkey01
yeah, i too have noticed that sony fanboys tend to nit pick other consoles' tiny faults while ignoring their own much worse onesCheckingAvailab
Every fanboy does that. +For example 360 owners saying installs are bad and then ignoring RROD +Wii gamers saying that 360 and ps3 controllers are not as good when the online and the graohics on the wii both suck +PS3 owners saying gears 2 is bad due to laggy online play when they have yet to have a large blockbuster type game on their console at all
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="skektek"] 3. Loading from the HDD (@40-50MBps) saves time vs loading from a disc (12x DVD@12-16MBps). In the end you actually save time.

No. Just no. :| Loading from an HD indeed cuts load times, but to say "in the end you actually save time" is complete fiction.
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
i don't find anything bad about game installs, only thing i hated was the burnout install that took like 2 hours for me.
RustySniper93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RustySniper93
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts
w8 who care about mutli disk? i got gears 2 specal editon an i dont care if it is 2 disk in th box
crazyguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 crazyguy92
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

Are you sure about 10 minutes for each install between the acts?

nope, its only about 2-3 minutes, TC obviously hasn't played the game.
Avatar image for DontBeHatin1983
DontBeHatin1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DontBeHatin1983
Member since 2008 • 1044 Posts
[QUOTE="DontBeHatin1983"][QUOTE="Ridlyz"]

Steppy_76

Multiple discs would cut that 2-3 minutes down to 10-20 seconds, so in that case multiple disks work better than installs.

installing a game can benefit the game and multiple disk dosent do nothing for the game is this hard to understan. installing and multi disk isnt the same

tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
Yea about five min per act was my experience too playing on a friend's PS3.
[QUOTE="Mongo-Boss"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] What? It was longer than a minute for me, closer to 5-8 depending on the Act.SpruceCaboose

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Steppy_76
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="DontBeHatin1983"]each install is not 10min and each act takes about 2/3min to install you never played the game. i really dont know why people compare installs and multiple disks, install a game on your HDD can benefit the games multiply disk dosent. DontBeHatin1983

installing a game can benefit the game and multiple disk dosent do nothing for the game is this hard to understan. installing and multi disk isnt the same

Nobody is saying the they're the same thing. Installing can be a detriment too. Many of the PS3 installs are simply to get the performance UP to the level speed they'd be if they were on DVD. The thread was about people bashing the 360 and the DVD drive, so people are showing how MGS4 on the 360 being on a few DVD's would be MORE effective than the single Bluray that needs several installations. That point ALSO isn't hard to understand. Nobody said installs CAN'T be a benefit, but they aren't ALWAYS a benefit.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Here we go again

No one has a problem with changing disc, you need to understand that one of the most marketed features of the PS3 is its Blu-ray drive. Regardless about how cows feel about disc-swapping, they are going to bash the 360 for it. Its about finding any little excuse to make the PS3 look better.

Blue-Sky
yeah that's pretty much it really.