Why cant you play as Germans in WW2 shooters ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sonic_on_crack
Member since 2007 • 2428 Posts

Their the entire reason the war started yet in all the WW2 games I remember you play as soldiers from

1.The United States of America (crowd cheers)

2.The United Kingdom (ehh there ok)

Is is because developers think it wouldnt be fun playing as the losing side of the war or something ?

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts

Because publishers don't want to get sued because a game involves killing American troops. I think it's a dumb double standard.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]

Is is because developers think it wouldnt be fun playing as the losing side of the war or something ?

probably this.. and not many people think very highly of nazis.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Actually a game playing as the German troops portraying their side of the war and showing that they have a similar mentality to us would be great. The vast majority of the German Troops were not Nazis and had no idea about the Concentration Camps or the mass slaughter of select groups of people. So seeing the war from their point of view would be interesting.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Psht, why would you want to play as the losers. :P
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sonic_on_crack

Because publishers don't want to get sued because a game involves killing American troops. I think it's a dumb double standard.

organic_machine
sued on what grounds ?
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

Sonic_on_crack

sued on what grounds ?

You don't need any ground to sue anyone anymore. You can sue if you are offended enough.

Peaches1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Peaches1347
Member since 2007 • 777 Posts
also along with being sued, America and England are top game buying countries and having a game where you kill americans,englishman would not be very popular. But its a good thought
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Their the entire reason the war started yet in all the WW2 games I remember you play as soldiers from

Sonic_on_crack

Do you have any idea of the evil and devestation the Nazis caused? No developer worth thier salt would dare allow such a thing because of the negativity that would ensue. It's just one of those things that is a bit taboo to even consider.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Because a lot of people would consider inappropriate for a game to let you play with one of the biggest genocidial groups in history. It's actually not very difficult to understand.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

It could be a good change, but, you know that you will lost at the end of the game, so, they better have a nice plot or something to justify why you are a German, maybe a story where this Nazi in the middle of the war, wants to save some prisoners from the holocaust, but you still have to fight US army.

irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 irish4eva
Member since 2008 • 570 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]

Do you have any idea of the evil and devestation the Nazis caused? No developer worth thier salt would dare allow such a thing because of the negativity that would ensue. It's just one of those things that is a bit taboo to even consider.

Wouldent it be good playing as a german soldier until he gets promoted and finds out about the death camps and then rebels? It'd make for a good story and even a movie lol
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Because most shooter developers aren't smart enough to develop a satisfying game around the losing side. There's certainly a PR element to it (I think I can hear the news channels drooling over the idea of a "Nazi simulator" game from here), but the fact of the matter is you would need a hell of a writing team to a) create sympathetic characters, and b) design missions in a way so the player can "win", and there are only a handful of developers capable of doing that.

bethwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bethwo
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Psht, why would you want to play as the losers. :P

Nobody seemed to mind playing as the Americans in Battlefield: Vietnam :P
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Think for a second about what the Nazis actually did during WWII and then you'll have your answer.
irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 irish4eva
Think for a second about what the Nazis actually did during WWII and then you'll have your answer. Silent-Hal
Think for a second,The wars greatest sercret was that noone knew about the deathcampsnot even the majority of germans
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]

irish4eva

Wouldent it be good playing as a german soldier until he gets promoted and finds out about the death camps and then rebels? It'd make for a good story and even a movie lol

Yeah that actually would make for a interesting story in a game, but I doubt it would ever happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Because even if you did reach the end of the game, it'd still be game over for you? I'm not sure about you, but I don't want to play game where I lose regardless.
irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 irish4eva
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="irish4eva"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"] Do you have any idea of the evil and devestation the Nazis caused? No developer worth thier salt would dare allow such a thing because of the negativity that would ensue. It's just one of those things that is a bit taboo to even consider.

Yeah that actually would make for a interesting story in a game, but I doubt it would ever happen.

We just need a developer with guts :P
ezikiell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ezikiell
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts

It is like asking why there are no games that a person plays as a rapist, child molester, or ethnic cleanser. It is simply bad taste.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Imo its worse that devs dont let you play as japanese because thats racist not sure about germans though
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]

Bigboi500

So its ok to kill them but not to play as them ?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="irish4eva"] Wouldent it be good playing as a german soldier until he gets promoted and finds out about the death camps and then rebels? It'd make for a good story and even a movie lolirish4eva

There is only one I can think of that would even entertain the notion of such a thing, Rockstar.

Keltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Keltoid
Member since 2009 • 925 Posts
Well, maybe the fact that Nazis ran holocaust camps and killed 6,000,000 civilian Jews. Gee, I cant figure out why you cant play as a Nazi. :roll:
fastheinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fastheinz
Member since 2006 • 190 Posts

Seriously guys, what's the matter with you?A game where you play as a German or a Japanese soldier would be so awesome! And you don't need some contrived storyline where th protagonist rebels against Hitler or some crap.Did you all forget about the first half of the war, where the Germans won almost ALL their battles?

Keltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Keltoid

[QUOTE="irish4eva"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Yeah that actually would make for a interesting story in a game, but I doubt it would ever happen.

Bigboi500

There is only one I can think of that would even entertain the notion of such a thing, Rockstar.

Or the people doing the 6 Days in Falujah game. Not sure if that's how you spell Falujah.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Well, maybe the fact that Nazis ran holocaust camps and killed 6,000,000 civilian Jews. Gee, I cant figure out why you cant play as a Nazi. :roll:Keltoid
Exactly the japanese didnt do that though they the good guys like us BAD GERMANS
irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 irish4eva
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="irish4eva"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Yeah that actually would make for a interesting story in a game, but I doubt it would ever happen.

Maybe if ms/sony offer em 200m...
gamefan274

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamefan274
Member since 2007 • 1863 Posts

Sonic_on_crack
Its because it would be terrible to recieve an inspiring speach from you know who and invade France. It would be the most racist controversial game ever. Ofcourse being on the loosing team (or evil team) that AREN'T Nazis then it could be an epic story. Killzone 2 as the Helgast, Resistance as Chimera, Gears as Locust. It would be sweet, especially if you could win the war too.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sonic_on_crack
ok I removed the Nazi part.
irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 irish4eva
[QUOTE="Keltoid"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

We just need a developer with guts :Pirish4eva

Or the people doing the 6 Days in Falujah game. Not sure if that's how you spell Falujah.

thats konami
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

It is like asking why there are no games that a person plays as a rapist, child molester, or ethnic cleanser. It is simply bad taste.

ezikiell
Except in this case you'd be shooting other people who are trying to shoot you so the only difference would be what uniform the people you are shooting are wearing. So unless you think shooting people is in bad taste then it's in no worse taste than shooting nazis. ;)
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

ok I removed the Nazi part.Sonic_on_crack

Hmm If we can play as terrorists on certain games and hear the words "terrorists win" Why can't there be "Nazis win"?

StratSec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StratSec
Member since 2009 • 174 Posts

[QUOTE="Keltoid"]Well, maybe the fact that Nazis ran holocaust camps and killed 6,000,000 civilian Jews. Gee, I cant figure out why you cant play as a Nazi. :roll:Banjo_Kongfooie
Exactly the japanese didnt do that though they the good guys like us

I take it you are not familar with Unit 731?

Unit 731 (731 部隊 ,Nana-san-ichi butai?) was a covert biological and chemical warfare research and development unit of the Imperial Japanese Army that undertook lethal human experimentation during the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945) and World War II. It was responsible for some of the most notorious war crimes carried out by Japanese personnel.

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"] Do you have any idea of the evil and devestation the Nazis caused? No developer worth thier salt would dare allow such a thing because of the negativity that would ensue. It's just one of those things that is a bit taboo to even consider.

Bigboi500

So its ok to kill them but not to play as them ?

Yes. It's perfectly fine to kill, humiliate, and be against them. They deserve nothing better.

with all due respect thats exactly what Hitler Eva and the Nazis said about the jews.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]ok I removed the Nazi part.Dystopian-X

Hmm If we can play as terrorists on certain games and hear the words "terrorists win" Why can't there be "Nazis win"?

because I got sick of hearing these kids cry.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"] with all due respect thats exactly what Hitler Eva and the Nazis said about the jews.

Except that we didn't systematically hunt down and murder over 6 million innocent people :|.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]ok I removed the Nazi part.Dystopian-X

The question is not about being able to, but about wanting to.
Keltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Keltoid
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"] So its ok to kill them but not to play as them ? Sonic_on_crack

Yes. It's perfectly fine to kill, humiliate, and be against them. They deserve nothing better.

with all due respect thats exactly what Hitler Eva and the Nazis said about the jews.

I agree it would be inhumane to treat ANYONE like that... he's talking about a video game and NAZIS. Nazis... as in the Nazi's responsible for the death of 6,000,000 innocent Jewish people. People who were reading a newspaper in their house before Nazis busted in and took them and their families to a concentration camp. It's history. There's no spin. Frankly I dont understand how people (not you) are acting as it would be a fun experience to play as a Nazi in a video game.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sonic_on_crack
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]ok I removed the Nazi part.IronBass

different prospectives = more fun ?
Keltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Keltoid
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]ok I removed the Nazi part.Sonic_on_crack

No one is crying, I dont understand why you would even WANT to.
redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

We as seen in this thread there are FAR to many ignorant people who cant except the fact that when it comes down to it Germans were human beings swept up in an evil mans plot (many German citizens and soldiers didn't know of death camps)

We can play as Russians in games like Call of Duty and i See no one here complaining about the fact that they had the Gulags and overall killed the same if not more than ther Germans (over a longer course of time though)

there are plenty of RTS's where you can play as the Germans in single player campaigns such as Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts

a Game where you played as a simple German foot soldier in early war and perhaps being beaten back later in the war CAN be tastefully done

irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 irish4eva
Why are we aloud to mock russians with games like modern warfare aswell?
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]ok I removed the Nazi part.IronBass

Not really, he asked, "why can't we" and most of the answers in this thread came down to: "because Nazis were bad".

Also there are plenty of games nowadays where you do lose in the end after all so this really shouldn't be an issue.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#46 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Seriously guys, what's the matter with you?A game where you play as a German or a Japanese soldier would be so awesome! And you don't need some contrived storyline where th protagonist rebels against Hitler or some crap.Did you all forget about the first half of the war, where the Germans won almost ALL their battles?

fastheinz
That and lets not forget that the common soldiers weren't doing concentration camps stuff. There are games where you can play as nazi germany, just not fps... Company of Heroes lets you play the germans, its an rts though. Or hell, the hearts of iron pc games you control it. Or the panzer series. etc... its been done just not in fps form.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"][QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

Keltoid

No one is crying, I dont understand why you would even WANT to.

because the WW2 Germans faught hard and tirelessly, they were some of the best soldiers in the history in any War. I think the better question is why would you not want to .

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"] with all due respect thats exactly what Hitler Eva and the Nazis said about the jews. Silent-Hal
Except that we didn't systematically hunt down and murder over 6 million innocent people :|.

Except that we did systematically hunt down and *kill* a quarter of a million~ German soldiers. Why is that somehow *good*? What is the difference in terms of Humanity between a German soldier and a German Jew? Nothing.

Killing is never good, but it is sometimes necessary. However it should never be celebrated, even when done out of need.

Edit: Also, speaking of Atrocities, the Russians were often just as bad as the Germans, yet they are still thought of as the "Good Guys" and featured in many games. Why is that?

Keltoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Keltoid
as seen in this thread there are FAR to many ignorant people who cant except the fact that when it comes down to it Germans were human beings swept up in an evil mans plot (many German citizens and soldiers didn't know of death camps) redbaron3
Oh ok, so that's what the world thinks of when they hear Nazi right? The harmless, innocent, decent German soldiers who were just brain washed? Of course not, and that's not what the TC was thinking either.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#50 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Not all games based on wars end with the war ending. usually the games are focused in scope and consist of a few battles. not the entire war. Or they are like battelfield where they just use the troops, vehicles and equipment with very little story. Then you can do a rpg with alternate history. Just because a game would be about germany in ww2 doesn't mean it needs to focus on concentration camps if you played that side, there is more to that period than that.