whoever designed the ps3 should be shot...

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22801 Posts
I admit that my ps3 only gets a fraction of the gameplay that my 360 does but my god when i want to play a ps3 game the update process is unbearable. I bought the show 12 last week and the updates for both the system and game easily stretched over an hour... couldnt play the game because i had to leave... played later and now a few days later im playing again and its another 20 minute update.... WTF.... Why cant sony get their sh!t together and take a not from ms on the instal front.i hear people b!tch about disk swaps and i laugh... id rather disk swap a hundred times than update my games for a friggin hour every time i play... i like my ps3 but even the most ardent cow has to admit the update system is a busted mess.... ok venting done...
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#2 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Never had an hour long update before.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheEroica  Moderator

Demonjoe93
Not one update... 4 that totaled over an hour... but the point is that theres a friggin update every time i turn the damned thing on.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Yeah the updates are ridiculous.there have been times where an update has been a serious buzzkill when I'm ready to play a game.It isn't a dealbreaker, but it is fairly annoying.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#5 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

TheEroica

Not one update... 4 that totaled over an hour... but the point is that theres a friggin update every time i turn the damned thing on.

I could see how that could on someone's nerves. I guess sometimes updates build up. :P

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

TheEroica

Maybe because you only turn it on a few time a year? That's YOUR fault by far.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

This guy:

ken_kutaragi_ps3.jpg

It's not such a bad design, it's just that it was too expensive and not so easy to develop for. It's also clear that Sony wanted a multi-media home entertainment system first and foremost and a gaming console secondly.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
At least it's actually actively dynamic unlike the 360 which probably hasn't changed it's interface since launch... Disgusting.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

NO,U SHULD BE SHOT...

[spoiler] ...for making a valid point in SW.I used to own a PS3 for a few months last year,and yeah,I experienced the same problem.I remeber Killzone 2,inFamous and Uncharted 2,all had updates last roughly 45 minutes.At best,the update is done in 10 minutes.At worst...well,let's not go there :P [/spoiler]

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

You jelly that 360 has no games?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Yeah, it's happened to be a few times aswell very frustrating when you've only got a short time to play a game.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah those updates are annoying. When I really feel like playing a certain game and that shows up, it's a serious buzzkill. It's especially annoying when it's a highly anticipated game you just bought. Finally you have the game after such a long period of waiting so you pop the disc in only to be greeted by a slow moving loading bar.

Still I wouldn't shoot anybody over an inconvenience.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 parkurtommo
and a gaming console secondly. nameless12345
It's a f*cking gaming console.... an entertainment hub secondly... Much better than what next gen's consoles will probably be like. I can just imagine it, tablets for controllers, cloud gaming, pathetic DRM, all sorts of third party apps for other forms of entertainment.... You'll see! D:
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

TheEroica

if you turn on the damn thing often, you wouldnt need to be waiting for so many updates. The PS3 hasnt has a firmware update in a while so stop acting like its get one every week. Games has updates, its normal. If you buy games later on, then you will have to DL all the updates that it has had all at once. Sony usually has a firmware update usually every 3 months or more. If I bought a 360 today, i'll have to wait for the updates too. All games today have updates. If I buy a game that has been out for months, then chances are that game has had a couple of updates out already.
ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

I once had a 360 update that took around 20 minutes and I didn't complain. Find something else to do.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]and a gaming console secondly. parkurtommo
It's a f*cking gaming console.... an entertainment hub secondly... Much better than what next gen's consoles will probably be like. I can just imagine it, tablets for controllers, cloud gaming, pathetic DRM, all sorts of third party apps for other forms of entertainment.... You'll see! D:

Actually, you're wrong. Only Nintendo still makes gaming consoles, first and foremost. Sony and MS are making gimped multi-media PCs.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
At least it's actually actively dynamic unlike the 360 which probably hasn't changed it's interface since launch... Disgusting.parkurtommo
Cant tell if serious?!?! If so then tell us what bizzaro land looks like.... because u clearly are not from this earth.
PressXtoJump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PressXtoJump
Member since 2012 • 1484 Posts
RROD ?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I admit i like my ps3 .TheEroica
And I do too..Well said. Rep given.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]At least it's actually actively dynamic unlike the 360 which probably hasn't changed it's interface since launch... Disgusting.TheEroica
Cant tell if serious?!?! If so then tell us what bizzaro land looks like.... because u clearly are not from this earth.

Yes I'm serious, those pathetic lemmings live in the past while we enjoy the future, now.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Nengo_Flow

if you turn on the damn thing often, you wouldnt need to be waiting for so many updates. The PS3 hasnt has a firmware update in a while so stop acting like its get one every week. Games has updates, its normal. If you buy games later on, then you will have to DL all the updates that it has had all at once. Sony usually has a firmware update usually every 3 months or more. If I bought a 360 today, i'll have to wait for the updates too. All games today have updates. If I buy a game that has been out for months, then chances are that game has had a couple of updates out already.

All games have updates,but from what I know,360 updates are snappy,5-10 minutes at most,even when dealing with multiple ones...

PS3 has some problems with updates,no getting around that.They're simply slow,and can take a lot of your time.Not a huge issue,but it can end up being an annoyance and a frustration...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

Yeah the updates are ridiculous.there have been times where an update has been a serious buzzkill when I'm ready to play a game.It isn't a dealbreaker, but it is fairly annoying.

heretrix
Pretty much my whole point...
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

As much as I love the PS3 as a console I must agree with that. Patches updates and instalations are fvckin anoying as sh1t. If I wanted instalations for every fvckin game I would be playing PC. Instalations and Consoles should never ever be used in the same sentence...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Not one update... 4 that totaled over an hour... but the point is that theres a friggin update every time i turn the damned thing on.Rocker6

All games have updates,but from what I know,360 updates are snappy,5-10 minutes at most,even when dealing with multiple ones...

PS3 has some problems with updates,no getting around that.They're simply slow,and can take a lot of your time.Not a huge issue,but it can end up being an annoyance and a frustration...

It took me 4 hours to update Motorstorm Pacific Rift the first time :|
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm not very fond of the design, not the outside the inside. I had 2 disk drives break in Slims in the last year. So devestating when I have so many great PS3 games in my backlog :(

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts
Whenever i get a new game i usually play offline the first few hours. Then i let the console update overnight. Yea, its stupid to have to do that, but ive learned to fit it into my schedule :P Also, it helps that my wireless adapter in the PS3 is going out, so it rarely connects to PSN anymore :P
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I finally have the chance to use my PS3 regularly. There was like 9 updates for Uncharted 2. But, the game continued to be playable without them. I simply chose to download and install the updates while I was gaming on the PC.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

if you don't play your ps3 much then expect lots of updates, if you just update it when a new update is available you wouldn't run into this problem

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 navyguy21

if you don't play your ps3 much then expect lots of updates, if you just update it when a new update is available you wouldn't run into this problem

Chris_Williams
To be fair, not everyone wants to play every game when they come out. There are tons of games that i havent played yet for PS3, are you saying that its his fault that every game isnt worth playing right away? Uncharted 2 does have tons of updates, you have to admit that.
Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

Patience young padawon... thats all you need, jeez. Noone needs to be shot over it... prick

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Why do Lems have to lie LOL updates take 3 minutes at most here, upgrade your internet or stop lieing.

bushidotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bushidotu
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

the thing that annoys me about the PS3 updates is that it take forever to dl and then when it finishes it has to install! which takes just as long!

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

navyguy21

To be fair, not everyone wants to play every game when they come out. There are tons of games that i havent played yet for PS3, are you saying that its his fault that every game isnt worth playing right away? Uncharted 2 does have tons of updates, you have to admit that.

you can play the games without updating them just don't expect to play online and I never had a update no matter how long the game been out take any longer then 15 mins. Just really isn't something that bothers me, the game isn't going anywhere just let it update. Also I hate multiple discs, don't ask I just do. Its just a little game pet peeve of mine, I rather have it downloaded on the HDD one time then swap out the discs. Just a little personal preference.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Sign out of PSN and don't update the game if you want to play immediately.

Even better, spend ten minutes online learning how to configure your network with even an iota of competence.

Even better than that, don't be a dumbass in the first place.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#35 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The PS3 was never that well designed as a cohesive console. Everything from elements of the user interface to the hardware itself are at odds with one another. You've got a system to push Move, which requires a PS Eye. So of course, no version of the PS3 has a USB port on the back for this, you have to snake it around to the front. The controllers also must charge via USB but they will not charge on dumb ports. Naturally, the PS3 will not charge its own controllers when in sleep mode, and the included USB cable for charging is far too short to let you play and charge at the same time. So what do I do? I charge my Dual Shock 3 on my 360 most of the time. Stuff is just jammed into the cross media bar seemingly at random. The number of submenus for settings on the PS3 is kind of hilarious (seriously who the hell prints anything from their PS3). And installs are worse than patches, especially if you neglect to pause any downloads. If you don't, expect an already painfully long download for a 2GB+ game to take another half an hour just to install before you can even think of playing it, and that's assuming you won't need to spend another hour (or two if it's Modnation Racers) downloading a series of patches if you want to play it online. The 360 has its own share of problems but general usability seems to have been high up on Microsoft's list of original priorities. Limited patch sizes means that you'll be done downloading a patch and back to playing a game in seconds.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto

Sign out of PSN and don't update the game if you want to play immediately.

Even better, spend ten minutes online learning how to configure your network with even an iota of competence.

Even better than that, don't be a dumbass in the first place.

Pug-Nasty

I wouldn't go that far. Even I was stumped for a bit about my WiFi not working. It turns out WiFi chokes whenever I choose to "Test the Connection." Sony needs to fix that.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

you can play the games without updating them just don't expect to play online and I never had a update no matter how long the game been out take any longer then 15 mins. Just really isn't something that bothers me, the game isn't going anywhere just let it update. Also I hate multiple discs, don't ask I just do. Its just a little game pet peeve of mine, I rather have it downloaded on the HDD one time then swap out the discs. Just a little personal preference.

Thats exactly what i do. I immediately disconnect from PSN prior to inserting the new game disc if im not sure if there is an update. After the initial few plays i go ahead and update. Regardless of WHEN you update, most do take a while, especially when you compare to the few seconds on 360 to download and install. It wouldnt be as bad if the downloads took 15m to download AND install, but they are separate on PS3 for some reason.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I wouldn't go that far. Even I was stumped for a bit about my WiFi not working. It turns out WiFi chokes whenever I choose to "Test the Connection." Sony needs to fix that.

jun_aka_pekto
The wireless adapter in the PS3 is one of the biggest pieces of crap, too. My PS3 is maybe two feet from my router and my connection is horribly slow and constantly drops out unless I wire it in. Other devices in the same area get flawless wireless (Apple TV, Wii, 360) which is good as it frees up a couple of ports to run ethernet to switches in the other rooms.
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

How rude.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] To be fair, not everyone wants to play every game when they come out. There are tons of games that i havent played yet for PS3, are you saying that its his fault that every game isnt worth playing right away? Uncharted 2 does have tons of updates, you have to admit that.navyguy21

Thats exactly what i do. I immediately disconnect from PSN prior to inserting the new game disc if im not sure if there is an update. After the initial few plays i go ahead and update. Regardless of WHEN you update, most do take a while, especially when you compare to the few seconds on 360 to download and install. It wouldnt be as bad if the downloads took 15m to download AND install, but they are separate on PS3 for some reason.

yeah man I agree with you, could it better? yes but Sony is known for its hardware and not its software. Like i said it doesn't really bother me and not a issue, I have a pretty fast internet connection and if its a big update I browse the web or something till its finish and enjoy myself.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Yeah, for some reason the DL speed on the ps3 is half that of the 360. Not sure why. Combined with frequent updates (this is because sony allows devs to issue updates at will, microsoft puts them though a variety of checks so devs put less out)
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

DJ_Lae

The wireless adapter in the PS3 is one of the biggest pieces of crap, too. My PS3 is maybe two feet from my router and my connection is horribly slow and constantly drops out unless I wire it in. Other devices in the same area get flawless wireless (Apple TV, Wii, 360) which is good as it frees up a couple of ports to run ethernet to switches in the other rooms.

My fat PS3 has only 802.11g. It's actually not that bad. When the PS3's connected to my wireless router, it stays connected. Download times are similar to what I see with public wireless networks. They're a bit on the slow side. But, they're not that bad either. When I finally decided to update Uncharted 2, one of the 9 downloads (Version 1.09) was 118mb. It took long, but not forever. Updating KZ3 didn't take long at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Your internet sucks. Though I do agree with you, the update process could be a lot smoother. Especially if you get an old game and it has to download several in sucsession. That being said, thank god for PS+. Havn't seen an update screen in about a year because it automaticly does them at 2AM when i'm sleeping.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
'I'm acting childish: The thread'.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

sonic1564
Why are people still spewing this nonsense? The 360 has a far larger game library than the PS3, and it has more exclusives as well...
exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
[QUOTE="sonic1564"]

superclocked
Why are people still spewing this nonsense? The 360 has a far larger game library than the PS3, and it has more exclusives as well...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pc5oLqpenpT78W87pMfgvBA Actually according to that, ps3 has more retail exclusive AAAA-A games than the 360. But 360 definitely has by far the bigger library which can also be attributed to its longer lifespan.
PressXtoJump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PressXtoJump
Member since 2012 • 1484 Posts
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="sonic1564"]

when it comes to million dollar investment exclusive games, the 360 is hurting big time.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#48 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I agree that Sony could do a better job with updates, some of them can be pretty slow. But I think your over exaggerrating, I have never had to wait an hour.....

Longest I had to wait was for Bad Company 2, which took me around 20-25 minutes if I recall correctly. It's strange because some updates are only 5-10 minutes sometimes, some only a few minutes like COD updates.

But once in a while you do get some slower ones, but I recommend you beome a PS+ member,because aside from all the money you will save with it, it also does auto updates, I haven't seen an update screen since I got it, and that was about 4 months ago.

But the slow updates are my biggest complaint with the PS3.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Demonjoe93
I have. There are games that have mandatory 8 GB installs which can take up to an hour. So unless you have Verizon's FIOS you're probably lying or don't own a PS3. I've had downloads and installs take close to 2hrs on some.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#50 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

XanderZane

I have. There are games that have mandatory 8 GB installs which can take up to an hour. So unless you have Verizon's FIOS you're probably lying or don't own a PS3. I've had downloads and installs take close to 2hrs on some.

I haven't had an hour long update before either, and I own a PS3, and I'm certainly not lying. Perhaps your internet isn't very good then? I recommend a direct connection.

Longest I had to wait was around 25 minutes for Bad Company 2, Uncharted 2 also had updates that took me about the same. But never had anything come close to an hour before.