Which in your opinion is the biggest disappointment or flop of the gen so far?

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

This gen had many flops on every platform like:the flop 1886,Crimson flop,mighty flop,batman arkham flop,metroid prime:federation flop,but who do you think flopped hardest or disappointed you the most?

based on both ratings and your opinion

I'm a huge batman fan and the arkham franchise is one my favorite franchises so I would have to say knight.HUGE letdown.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

QB was a pretty flop but since we don't play the meta game any longer there is no such thing as a flop but in spirit I'd say QB.

Still nothing touches TLOU for biggest ever. Not just because of the 8 it received which is a good score but because of the fanboys reactions. Absolutely priceless and still causes some butthurt around here.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Arkham Knight is most disappointing because I expected better from Rocksteady, good game, but it's a class worse than what Asylum and City were as video games. Too much batmobile, dumb shit like stealth tank segments, they completely botch the Jason Todd story (shame because the Jason Todd story is legit excellent), and it's more open world game in the worst ways. City was more the Zelda brand of open world, and Asylum was more Metroid than it was anything else in terms of world structure. And while some of the riddler puzzles and challenge room stuff is still dope, there is still those boring race track segments that make you go what the **** was Rocksteady on. To be fair to them, that's not the fairest knock, it's more a product of the fact that Rocksteady themselves set a pretty high bar. They take what could have been a series that was boring as **** for its simple combat and stealth, and proceeded to make two genuinely legit action/adventure games out of it.

Otherwise legit flop? Star Fox Zero. Again I expected a good starfox game, and I got one that is creatively inferior to the Starfox game we got on the 64 and additionally controls like ace. Smooth their miyamoto.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@kingtito: Yeah I'd have to say QB and KZSF were expected to be much better given the previous game by Remedy and KZ2 and 3.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Around here I would think QB or NMS

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Thief 2014 for me. And it's not even close.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

NO MANS FLOP

cows hyped it so hard and it blew all over their faces

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Quantum Flop for sure!

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

For me, Halo 5. I hyped myself up ridiculously for that game (stupid I know, but I really love Halo). Worst single player FPS I have ever played and I've played some bad ones lol. You had to read a load of Halo books and 'study' Halo lore to fill in all the back stories of the characters that they frankly could not be arsed to do because they were completely focused on delivering multiplayer (which is why the graphics completely blow as well).

Halo 5 is the game that finally taught me the harsh lesson DO NOT PRE-ORDER ANY GAME EVER FOR ANY REASON!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Arkham Knight. It's just not fun.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Order 1886 and DriveClub were easily the biggest flops so far. Epic levels of hype from cows for decidedly mediocre games.

I personally haven't been disappointed by anything so far this gen, but that's probably because I haven't played many games from this gen yet.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

Mighty No. 9; It appeared like the light at the end of the tunnel but with each delay it started to look darker and darker, yet against logic I had faith in it but when it got released we got a mediocre game at its best with some good ideas but nowhere near what we were promised; It didn't justify the amount of money it raised nor the time it was in development.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I was hoping Bethesda would use a new engine/get rid of some of the jank for the first 'next gen' title but nope FO4 was still a ugly technical mess. So Fallout 4 I guess?

I also felt Just Cause 3 was a lot weaker than it should have been in a lot of ways

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nathanbats

@jg4xchamp: I hated that it was Jason Todd,I mean I like him but make it anyone else not freaking Jason todd!soo generic and they ruined his story!they had the chance to make a new charchter and people would have liked him so much that comic writers would put him in comics just like Harley Quinn,shame.also,it didn't capture the tone of batman,when you talk about batman you don't say tanks.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Well, there have been many of those, but I'll go with No Man's Sky, a game that was hyped till the end of time and when it finally came out, it was received with anger, tears and many, many complaints, which resulted in tons of refunds.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@nathanbats:

I loved Batman Arkham Knight!

Alot of people are saying Halo 5 was a letdown but I'm still really curious to see what exactly is so wrong with it. My biggest letdown so far for reals is Metroid Prime Federation.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'd have to go with Watch Dogs. I had to force myself to complete it. I won't bother with the sequel.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blueinheaven

@foxhound_fox said:

The Order 1886 and DriveClub were easily the biggest flops so far. Epic levels of hype from cows for decidedly mediocre games.

I personally haven't been disappointed by anything so far this gen, but that's probably because I haven't played many games from this gen yet.

Yeah, I'm not sure you've got the whole 'disappointed' thing since you talk about games you hate and wanted to fail anyway. Maybe read the OP again and start over?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Easily destiny. I was so hyped for that game and it was a dud. evolve and the division get honorable mention as well.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Why all the Batman Arkham Knight hate?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Batman Arkham Knight

They forced you to use the Batmobile far too much.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

@blueinheaven said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah, I'm not sure you've got the whole 'disappointed' thing since you talk about games you hate and wanted to fail anyway. Maybe read the OP again and start over?

You should re-read it.

"Disappointment OR FLOP"

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueinheaven

@foxhound_fox said:
@blueinheaven said:
@foxhound_fox said:

You should re-read it.

"Disappointment OR FLOP"

I read it as personal flop or disappointment. I don't think he was saying 'pick the games you hate most as a fanboy and claim flop even though you haven't played them'.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nathanbats

@killered3: you can like the gameplay but that Jason todd's story was bad is a fact,batman didn't try to find his body after he saw joker kill him and that made look like he doesn't care for Jason and they changed the location in which Todd was tortured and batman could have found him in that location and it was pretty underwhelming that the arkham knight is Jason Todd and obvious

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@blueinheaven: Why the hell would ANYBODY play The Order or Drive Club? This is coming from a big supporter of Sony too.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nathanbats

@blueinheaven: I said based on both ratings and your opinion

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@blueinheaven: Yeah I agree. Halo 5 SP was such a disappointment... easily the worst Halo campaign by far. I really hope they put more effort and focus into 6's campaign, instead of focusing all their attention on MP.

However, it's by no means the worst game I've played this gen.... it's not a bad game. But as a massive Halo fan, it just disappointed me quite a bit.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nathanbats

@PSP107: http://www.gameskinny.com/yfoni/batman-arkham-knight-is-an-absolutely-terrible-batman-game

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

No Man's Sky clearly could have been something great.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox

@blueinheaven said:

I read it as personal flop or disappointment. I don't think he was saying 'pick the games you hate most as a fanboy and claim flop even though you haven't played them'.

Ah, personal interpretation. Glad we sorted that out.

And "flop" by System Wars terms has nothing to do with playing the games. Sorry for thinking you'd understand that.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blueinheaven

@nathanbats said:

@blueinheaven: I said based on both ratings and your opinion

Right. You didn't say 'based on biased fanboy drivel' i.e. 'epic levels of hype from cows'.

I have zero interest in either game, never played them, but if just being a foaming at the mouth fanboy that hates games irrationally because they were released for the piece of metal you don't like qualifies for your discussion well that's okay, but I'm out.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nepu7supastar7

@nathanbats:

Obvious, yeah it was really obvious but not underwhelming. I did think that the tank battles got annoying though but luckily I was already a huge car nut so it was nothing I couldn't handle. I loved the DLC batmobiles too! They put the batmobile to good use, I say. And either way you can ditch the car at any time.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Halo 5 followed by QB and Recore, leMS reaction was priceless. It was a lot of self reflecting, crying, deflecting, and downright meltdowns.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nathanbats

@killered3: read this,they ruined my fav character http://www.gameskinny.com/yfoni/batman-arkham-knight-is-an-absolutely-terrible-batman-game

@blueinheaven: no it's not based on fanboyism

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nepu7supastar7

@nathanbats:

Read? You want me to read?! That's bad for the skin, y'know! Can't you just give me the short version?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107

@nathanbats:

I just went through that article. lol do you people play Video Games or watch movies? Seriously, that article opening argument was focusing on the story? Gameplay>>>>>Story

Now on to the Batmobile. Sure, Batmobile had it flaws, but overall, you people can't say it was bad that destroyed the whole game.

Then he ripped the empty world of Arkham Knight like Arkham City wasn't.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Thief 2014 for me. And it's not even close.

yeah, serious fail on that one. Decent stealth mechanics, but abysmal design and everything else...

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Fable Legends. Xbox One and PC was supposed to get this new Fable with our box and our new computer microsoft fired everyone and they didn't give us a game they advertised to us.

I was promised fable with my purchase i did not get it now im pissed.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nathanbats

@PSP107: it's batman you need a decent story and they made him(batman) a little evil ,but even if you don't care about story stealth gameplay wasn't good as city or asylum and he said why in the article and I have to agree also I didn't like the city much.arkham city and asylum are far better

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

The main problem with Arkham Knight were the forced Batmobile sections. I found the city itself to be far more enjoyable to traverse as Batman (the roads were wider than City for the 'mobile's incorporation, which made doing low sweeping glides between buildings in true Batman form easier), and the combat was further improved. I didn't mind the Batmobile, but it should've in no way been mandatory at any point, only complimentary. Plus work on the vehicular combat, which was utter ass.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@getyeryayasout: it's because game development costs has skyrocketed and add Sony sitting comfortably in first place and relying on 3rd party games to fill in the blanks. I remember when the PS3 was getting its bottom handed to it by Microsoft and Sony were getting pushed and oppressed. Which pushed them big time especially from 2009 to 2013 where exclusives just kept coming.

Now they switched places and MS is trying to compete but it's not good enough for the vast majority.

I still think this gen is good overall.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I'm going to say Recore because I love platformers and there are so few proper ones these days.

Also Star Fox Zero. Platinum was the perfect developer for this. If they had just let loose the reigns it would have been the next Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I'd put No Man's Sky, but in the end it has it's moments and serves as good proof of concept for what is really impressive procedural generation tech. I'm hopeful they will put it to better use in future games now that the groundwork is done.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Biggest flop: PS4 Pro

Biggest disappointment: PS4 Pro

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@a-new-guardian said:

@getyeryayasout: it's because game development costs has skyrocketed and add Sony sitting comfortably in first place and relying on 3rd party games to fill in the blanks. I remember when the PS3 was getting its bottom handed to it by Microsoft and Sony were getting pushed and oppressed. Which pushed them big time especially from 2009 to 2013 where exclusives just kept coming.

Now they switched places and MS is trying to compete but it's not good enough for the vast majority.

No its not a good gen it feels like microsoft is losing on every front.

Power/Exclusives/Pricing

Every little thing is just adding up.

Why is 720p instead of 1080p, why is uncharted on ps4 and we get a timed tomb raider deal wtf man no this is not even close to competing.

Why is the ps4 slim the same price the xb1 slim when its got morep ower things just aren't making any sense this gen how is xbox not at zero consoles sold there not competing recore is like a last of us, quantum break, isn't a god of war 3.

THEY ARE NOT competing the xb1 is not doing anything close to what the ps3 did. PS3 had bluray god of war 3, last of us, ni no kun.

stop it. just stop it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@a-new-guardian said:

No its not a good gen it feels like microsoft is losing on every front.

Power/Exclusives/Pricing

Every little thing is just adding up.

Why is 720p instead of 1080p, why is uncharted on ps4 and we get a timed tomb raider deal wtf man no this is not even close to competing.

Why is the ps4 slim the same price the xb1 slim when its got morep ower things just aren't making any sense this gen how is xbox not at zero consoles sold there not competing recore is like a last of us, quantum break, isn't a god of war 3.

THEY ARE NOT competing the xb1 is not doing anything close to what the ps3 did. PS3 had bluray god of war 3, last of us, ni no kun.

stop it. just stop it.

You should take your own advice.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PSP107

@nathanbats: "it's batman you need a decent story and they made him(batman) a little evil ,but even if you don't care about story stealth gameplay wasn't good as city or asylum and he said why in the article and I have to agree also I didn't like the city much.arkham city and asylum are far better"

Well it's understandable that making a game base of a IP such as Batman you must include a good story. I'll give you that. But again, this is video games, its crazy how it seems now days a story could make or break a title.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

mario 3d world. i mean its fun but like a big step back for me....too linear.

mario kart 8 delivered the most. game looks beautiful. even though i suck at this mario kart more than any other...i cant even smell 1st place.

best new ip splatoon...finally a nintendo shooter game!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

MGSV and SFV are both among my favorite games of this gen and among my biggest disappointments this gen.

MGSV plays like a dream, is packed full of quality content, and is actually surprisingly refreshing for a AAA game these days. But between the game being way the **** too ambitious and the KoKo drama, the game doesn't quite seal the deal on many elements. I'll spare you the details, my posts tend to get out of control when discussing MGSVs short comings.

SFV is easily the best fighting game this gen and has the potential to grow into the best fighting game of all time. That fight engine is so fucking sweet it's absurd. It's actually kind of a problem for me, all these older fighting games that I used to revisit all the time feel damn near unplayable now, a new bar has been set. All that being said, Capcom is STILL handling the game poorly as ****. The DLC in particular is straight up robbery. You can buy the full game, buy the season pass, and you'll still be locked out of stages, costumes, and color swaps. The premium stuff can't even be purchased with in-game fight money. A single premium costume goes for the same price that a full costume pack went for in SF4. My buddy paid 10 fucking dollars for a stage the other day, I mean wtf? They even charge for night time versions of stages.

They sold a stripped down game from the get go and now they're nickle and diming people to death on extra content. Thanks for making something that plays amazingly well, but **** you Capcom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

My biggest disappointment was Mario Kart 8. After Nintendo screwed up battle mode last gen with the forced teams, I was really hoping that they would correct their mistakes and get battle mode right this gen. Well, they did correct their last gen mistake, but they found a new way to screw up battle mode even worse by not making any actual battle arenas. Besides the disgraceful battle mode, I also felt Mario Kart 8 was disappointing in terms of character selection, track design, and item balance.