Which Console is most prepared for the long term?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts
Let's get one the straight: It's too early to guess the outcome of the console war.

That said, I think it IS reasonable to look at past generations of game systems so that we can better understand what makes a console a success.

One of the biggest reasons is this: Hardware included, AT LAUNCH, that is prepared for a long term life cycle.

You've seen systems like the sega CD/32x that have needed all kinds of addons and out-of-the-box revisions right?

This is an example of a console that was NOT prepared for the long term. And it was a failure.

Another good example is the N64 (don't get me wrong, I LOVED the N64, even more than the PS1 at the time).

It's main drawback, as far as hardware is concerned, was that it didn't adopt compact discs as it's medium. Which is why Nintendo had to release the Nintendo 64DD. That was a commercial failure, it further proves why having hardware included inside the box that can support a console for around 10 years is a VERY important factor.

Now. Tell me, which of the new consoles do you think is most prepared for the long term?
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
Definetly PS3
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I can tell you which one is prepared to still be working in the long term ;)
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nteks
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts
Definetly PS3Blinblingthing
What ^^ said.
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trading_Zoner
I can tell you which one is prepared to still be working in the long term ;)asmallchild
judging by your sig. NOT the xbox 360.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Depends on who wins the HD format war. If blu-ray fails then the PS3 is left with a dud.
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

I'm asking you which one is more prepared for the long run. I never said it was the PS3.
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
I think the 360 and PS3 will be better for me in the long run. The graphics will get better and better on top of the nice online capabilities. Sony still has a ways to go with online, but I'm sure they will get there (don't expect it to be free forever.) I'm already kind of turned off on my Wii just because of the graphics. I'm not really a graphics whore, but nice graphics do help with immersion.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

I'm asking you which one is more prepared for the long run. I never said it was the PS3.

But many others on this thread have. This is why I ask. I really am curious as to why it's more prepared. So far, the silence is deafening.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
The Wii will be collected for decades so the Wii. The others will simply be replaced by systems that do everything but better. Specs can't replace innovative niches.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
The Wii will be collected for decades so the Wii. The others will simply be replaced by systems that do everything but better. Specs can't replace innovative niches.Spartan070

The expanding VC will also ensure its long term appeal. If they keep adding more and more systems (crosses fingers for the saturn) then it will be simply to good to pass up for collectors.
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

But many others on this thread have. This is why I ask. I really am curious as to why it's more prepared. So far, the silence is deafening.

You might want to quote the person you are directly asking the question to then. If you just reply with no quote then it is assumed that you are talking to the TC.
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts

Well if developers from various video game franchises supply each console with an adequate supply of titles to quench our never ending thist, I believe all console have a good chance. However, since my previous sentence is basically wishfull thinking, and in terms of upcoming games, I can't tell what games are coming out after 2007, I would have to go with the ever-so-lover Xbox 360.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]The Wii will be collected for decades so the Wii. The others will simply be replaced by systems that do everything but better. Specs can't replace innovative niches.cakeorrdeath

The expanding VC will also ensure its long term appeal. If they keep adding more and more systems (crosses fingers for the saturn) then it will be simply to good to pass up for collectors.

Fingers officially crossed:D I hope so...
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 musicalmac  Moderator
My ears are starting to ring.
Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts
I plan on having my XBOX 360 and getting a PS3 down the line.
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts

PS3 is a loooong term console there's no doubt about that.

This is like the main reason I'm gonna get PS3, apart from Tekken 6 :)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicalmac  Moderator

AB_Uppercut
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]Definetly PS3Nteks
What ^^ said.

Why?
Rhubarb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rhubarb9
Member since 2006 • 2352 Posts
if bluray wins and PS3 does get enough games through the years then yes definitly PS3 no idea which one whom comes second though
DKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DKII
Member since 2004 • 353 Posts
Whichever one sells the most will last the longest just because devs will keep making games for the big userbase, same as with the PS2.
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

musicalmac

What ^^ said.

Why?

unlike Microsoft Sony are very commited to each of their consoles. PS1 had a 10 year life span and so will the PS2. Sony already said that PS3 is a machine that will last atleast 10 years.

KeV-Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KeV-Unreal
Member since 2006 • 3245 Posts

About your sig "Sheeps on GS's  TP's score",  HILARIOUS!! but that was definitely not me. :P

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
The short answer is the PS3. Whether this will help it at all is a different question.
tacomh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tacomh
Member since 2003 • 1847 Posts
well to be honest, none of the systems have add on that you must buy to enjoy their current games.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

The PS3 outputs its blu ray and gaming video and sound via HDMI which is now becoming the standard. Most TVs only output 1080p via HDMI and dont allow VGA to output it. The PS3 also caters to movie lovers who wanna take advantage of their new HDTVs right out of the box. This group of people are getting larger and larger as HDTVs become more and more popular. HDTVs will be the standard very soon, they are becoming more affordable and all cable companies are switching to HD as well in the near future. You also have games on a much larger format allowing devs room for growth in gaming. It also has a hybrid version of motion sensing without forcing the gamer to give up the controller that is so familiar. This allows many games that are not done well on a soley motion sensing controller, FPS, etc...., to be easily done on the PS3. It also allows devs the choice to build a game with motion sensing as a second thought or build a game around motion sensing.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Most prepared for long-term? it's a no-brainer, PS3.
jack244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jack244
Member since 2003 • 282 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.Javy03
The PS3 outputs its blu ray and gaming video and sound via HDMI which is now becoming the standard. Most TVs only output 1080p via HDMI and dont allow VGA to output it. The PS3 also caters to movie lovers who wanna take advantage of their new HDTVs right out of the box. This group of people are getting larger and larger as HDTVs become more and more popular. HDTVs will be the standard very soon, they are becoming more affordable and all cable companies are switching to HD as well in the near future. You also have games on a much larger format allowing devs room for growth in gaming. It also has a hybrid version of motion sensing without forcing the gamer to give up the controller that is so familiar. This allows many games that are not done well on a soley motion sensing controller, FPS, etc...., to be easily done on the PS3. It also allows devs the choice to build a game with motion sensing as a second thought or build a game around motion sensing.

Well I can tell right now that Sony Bravia TV's accept 1080p through VGA and Sharp Aquos TV's accept 1080p through component. HDMI is over rated trust me.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

I appreciate the post. However, all you said was it can play blu-ray movies. HDMI has caused some headaches for PS3 owners, because of the "blinking" problem. Look it up. I have yet to run into a TV that doesn't allow 1080p through VGA. Of course, I haven't tested every TV on the planet. Sixaxis and Blu-Ray out of the box don't convince me that this will be a lasting system.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Javy03

[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.jack244

Well I can tell right now that Sony Bravia TV's accept 1080p through VGA and Sharp Aquos TV's accept 1080p through component. HDMI is over rated trust me.

Overrated or not its becoming the standard and any person who watches movies will tell you that if you buy an upconverting DVD player or HD stand alone player, it will use HDMI. If an upconverting DVD player can have HDMI i dont see why someone wouldt want the same out of their HD player.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="jack244"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.Javy03

Overrated or not its becoming the standard and any person who watches movies will tell you that if you buy an upconverting DVD player or HD stand alone player, it will use HDMI. If an upconverting DVD player can have HDMI i dont see why someone wouldt want the same out of their HD player.

So far you've argued the PS3 will last longer because it has an HDMI output. It seems a little weak. What can the PS3 do right now, and in the long run, that the 360 won't be able to do?
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Javy03
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.

I appreciate the post. However, all you said was it can play blu-ray movies. HDMI has caused some headaches for PS3 owners, because of the "blinking" problem. Look it up. I have yet to run into a TV that doesn't allow 1080p through VGA. Of course, I haven't tested every TV on the planet. Sixaxis and Blu-Ray out of the box don't convince me that this will be a lasting system.

The "blinking" problem is a not a big problem. Very few PS3s have that. Nothing like the ring of death but I digress. My point is having a new HD movie format to take advantage of the growing number of HDTVs as well as having a new larger format for gaming is beneficial. I cant see what other system is more future proof then the PS3? THe 360 depends on add ons, batteries for controllers, paying to play online, and VGA movie output. I hardly would consider that furture proff as well as the Wii and its weaker hardware and focus on two genres of games, Mini games and Party games.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Javy03
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="jack244"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Why PS3? I don't see how yet. There have been a thousand threads why PS3/360 is better in the long run, based on media capabilities. I have yet to see why the PS3 is superior. I'm not a lemming, just a serial researcher. Please explain it to me.musicalmac

So far you've argued the PS3 will last longer because it has an HDMI output. It seems a little weak. What can the PS3 do right now, and in the long run, that the 360 won't be able to do?

If you read my original post it says alot more then just HDMI. I said motion sensing infused in an original controller, HDMI, Next gen movie player, and larger format for games and devs to exploit.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 musicalmac  Moderator
The "blinking" problem is a not a big problem. Very few PS3s have that. Nothing like the ring of death but I digress. My point is having a new HD movie format to take advantage of the growing number of HDTVs as well as having a new larger format for gaming is beneficial. I cant see what other system is more future proof then the PS3? THe 360 depends on add ons, batteries for controllers, paying to play online, and VGA movie output. I hardly would consider that furture proff as well as the Wii and its weaker hardware and focus on two genres of games, Mini games and Party games.Javy03
Yes, I do know the 360 isn't known for it's longevity in more cases than M$ would like to admit (I'm guessing). I'm on my second. Depending on add-ons is hardly a problem. Look at the iPod. The rampant success that little thing has had is based a lot on all the 3rd party support. Hardly anyone makes 3rd party products for the Zune, but there are walls of iPod accessories. What it does is allow for personalization, and more importantly, versitility. Anyone who can afford a 360 can also afford $5 for online. You aren't going to miss it. That's a dollar menu lunch at McDonalds. After all I have read and seen, the 360 seems more versitile and more usefull as a multimedia box. I still have yet to be shown otherwise, but if you have more information that I don't have, I'm more than willing to hear you out.
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nteks
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

musicalmac
What ^^ said.

Why?

because there is more technology in the PS3, HDMI, Wi-fi, blu-ray, 50gigs of storage, Cell chip, RSX., Blue tooth 60 Gb HDD and Sony is know to support there consoles for 7-8 years.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dsmccracken
Bottom line, I don't think having a high or low "future-proofness" will even come into play, making the quesiton moot. This generation will be nearly over (as will this current console war) before enough people will own a large 1080p capable HDTV for it to matter. Next gen, maybe, but not this one.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="Nteks"] because there is more technology in the PS3, HDMI, Wi-fi, blu-ray 50gigs Cell chip, RSX. and Sony is know to support there consoles for 7-8 years.

I will be extremely surprised if the PS3 is still going strong 8 years from now.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

Nteks
What ^^ said.

Why?

because there is more technology in the PS3, HDMI, Wi-fi, blu-ray 50gigs Cell chip, RSX. and Sony is know to support there consoles for 7-8 years.

How do those give it longevity? I am aware of what the PS3 is made of.
Bottom line, I don't think having a high or low "future-proofness" will even come into play, making the quesiton moot. This generation will be nearly over (as will this current console war) before enough people will own a large 1080p capable HDTV for it to matter. Next gen, maybe, but not this one.dsmccracken
I tend to agree with you. As far as I can tell, most HD signals are done in 720p. Games run better at 720p. Media boxes, such as Apple TV, outputs at 720p.
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
PS3 of course.
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nteks
[QUOTE="Nteks"][QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

musicalmac
What ^^ said.

Why?

because there is more technology in the PS3, HDMI, Wi-fi, blu-ray 50gigs Cell chip, RSX. and Sony is know to support there consoles for 7-8 years.

How do those give it longevity? I am aware of what the PS3 is made of.
Bottom line, I don't think having a high or low "future-proofness" will even come into play, making the quesiton moot. This generation will be nearly over (as will this current console war) before enough people will own a large 1080p capable HDTV for it to matter. Next gen, maybe, but not this one.dsmccracken
I tend to agree with you. As far as I can tell, most HD signals are done in 720p. Games run better at 720p. Media boxes, such as Apple TV, outputs at 720p.

The blu-ray disc gives devs more space to make there visions a reality. Devs have been complaining about more space since the HD era started. 50GBD ROM >>> 7GB DVD Plus the HDD is standard in both Sku's that means most if not all devs will use it for games. It just has more features then the other 2 consoles. And that alone will last a very long time.
"It's main drawback, as far as hardware is concerned, was that it didn't adopt compact discs as it's medium. Which is why Nintendo had to release the Nintendo 64DD. "

why isn't the Xbox 360 launched with a Next Gen Disc format? DVD9 is only a measly 7-9gigs.

Why is Mircosoft releasing the Zeyhpere?

GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Depends on who wins the HD format war. If blu-ray fails then the PS3 is left with a dud.cakeorrdeath

Blu-ray Won already prity much, i havent seen a Hd-dvd commercial in months and every movie i see now is in Blu-ray , not to mention Blu-ray is out selling it non stop
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musicalmac  Moderator
The blu-ray disc gives devs more space to make there visions a reality. Devs have been complaining about more space since the HD era started. 50GBD ROM >>> 7GB DVD Plus the HDD is standard in both Sku's that means most if not all devs will use it for games. It just has more features then the other 2 consoles. And that alone will last a very long time. Nteks
I agree. I do like the increased storage space. However, the current Blu-Ray drive on the PS3 is 1x or 2x (I think 2x, correct me if I'm wrong) which can lead to slower load times. Plus, I don't see the problem with multiple DVDs. I didn't see anyone complaining when they played FFVII. Plus, aren't the DVDs they use around 9 gigs? The PS3 is billed as a multimedia hub that happens to be a gaming console. I think the 360 has done a better job of that than the PS3, and I feel that gives it a leg up on the PS3 in the multimedia and longevity departments. Micro$oft finally wised up and realized that TV wansn't coming to the computer- the computer was coming to the TV.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Javy03
[QUOTE="Javy03"]The "blinking" problem is a not a big problem. Very few PS3s have that. Nothing like the ring of death but I digress. My point is having a new HD movie format to take advantage of the growing number of HDTVs as well as having a new larger format for gaming is beneficial. I cant see what other system is more future proof then the PS3? THe 360 depends on add ons, batteries for controllers, paying to play online, and VGA movie output. I hardly would consider that furture proff as well as the Wii and its weaker hardware and focus on two genres of games, Mini games and Party games.musicalmac
Yes, I do know the 360 isn't known for it's longevity in more cases than M$ would like to admit (I'm guessing). I'm on my second. Depending on add-ons is hardly a problem. Look at the iPod. The rampant success that little thing has had is based a lot on all the 3rd party support. Hardly anyone makes 3rd party products for the Zune, but there are walls of iPod accessories. What it does is allow for personalization, and more importantly, versitility. Anyone who can afford a 360 can also afford $5 for online. You aren't going to miss it. That's a dollar menu lunch at McDonalds. After all I have read and seen, the 360 seems more versitile and more usefull as a multimedia box. I still have yet to be shown otherwise, but if you have more information that I don't have, I'm more than willing to hear you out.

Yes but the ipods accessories to pretty up your ipod or custimize it or the 200 dollar add on to play HD movies without HDMI is not in the same category. The ipod is successful because its an MP3 player that offers style and multimedia functions like downloading music and movies. The add ons for that is merely cosmetic but the add ons for the 360 are more serious. They are expensive and for the purpose of getting the system to do things its competition does right out of the box. Pretty ipod skins and 100 dollar 20gb HDD, 200 dollar movie player, 20 dollar controller charger are not on the same level and do not help you custimize your 360. Thats what the face plate is for, the add ons allow the 360 to run at the capability of its competition or optimum potential. You shouldnt have to build a transformer to get that. As for online the truth of the matter is most of the gamers last gen did not play games online. Paying 50 dollars a year just didnt appeal to them. But guess what will appeal to the nononline gamer of last gen. Free online gaming. You can justify the price of online just like you can justify the 100 dollar difference between 360 and PS3, but the point is it will be a huge perk for some who like me did not online game until it was free. Exactly how is the 360 more versitile??
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
PS3 easily. Its set for the futur. MS needs to upgrade the 360.
Ericvon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ericvon71
Member since 2004 • 3219 Posts

[QUOTE="Nteks"]The blu-ray disc gives devs more space to make there visions a reality. Devs have been complaining about more space since the HD era started. 50GBD ROM >>> 7GB DVD Plus the HDD is standard in both Sku's that means most if not all devs will use it for games. It just has more features then the other 2 consoles. And that alone will last a very long time. musicalmac
I agree. I do like the increased storage space. However, the current Blu-Ray drive on the PS3 is 1x or 2x (I think 2x, correct me if I'm wrong) which can lead to slower load times. Plus, I don't see the problem with multiple DVDs. I didn't see anyone complaining when they played FFVII. Plus, aren't the DVDs they use around 9 gigs? The PS3 is billed as a multimedia hub that happens to be a gaming console. I think the 360 has done a better job of that than the PS3, and I feel that gives it a leg up on the PS3 in the multimedia and longevity departments. Micro$oft finally wised up and realized that TV wansn't coming to the computer- the computer was coming to the TV.

So regardless of what someones says the Xbox 360 by far will out last PS3 and the Wii, even though you ask people to explain why! Interesting! And the fact that Microsoft is coming out with another 360 doesn't mean anything! 

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Javy03
[QUOTE="Nteks"]The blu-ray disc gives devs more space to make there visions a reality. Devs have been complaining about more space since the HD era started. 50GBD ROM >>> 7GB DVD Plus the HDD is standard in both Sku's that means most if not all devs will use it for games. It just has more features then the other 2 consoles. And that alone will last a very long time. musicalmac

The PS3 does not have longer load times. Blu ray making longer load times is a myth. THey load the same as DVDs because Blu ray have a high constant read speed. It also reads quieter so you can enjoy the sound of the game and movie instead of the roar of your machine. Even some games like Oblivion have found ways to reduce load times on the PS3 version.
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nteks

The load times are not bad, some games eliminate this problem by cache a small part of data to the HDD.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Javy03"]The "blinking" problem is a not a big problem. Very few PS3s have that. Nothing like the ring of death but I digress. My point is having a new HD movie format to take advantage of the growing number of HDTVs as well as having a new larger format for gaming is beneficial. I cant see what other system is more future proof then the PS3? THe 360 depends on add ons, batteries for controllers, paying to play online, and VGA movie output. I hardly would consider that furture proff as well as the Wii and its weaker hardware and focus on two genres of games, Mini games and Party games.Javy03

Yes but the ipods accessories to pretty up your ipod or custimize it or the 200 dollar add on to play HD movies without HDMI is not in the same category. The ipod is successful because its an MP3 player that offers style and multimedia functions like downloading music and movies. The add ons for that is merely cosmetic but the add ons for the 360 are more serious. They are expensive and for the purpose of getting the system to do things its competition does right out of the box. Pretty ipod skins and 100 dollar 20gb HDD, 200 dollar movie player, 20 dollar controller charger are not on the same level and do not help you custimize your 360. Thats what the face plate is for, the add ons allow the 360 to run at the capability of its competition or optimum potential. You shouldnt have to build a transformer to get that. As for online the truth of the matter is most of the gamers last gen did not play games online. Paying 50 dollars a year just didnt appeal to them. But guess what will appeal to the nononline gamer of last gen. Free online gaming. You can justify the price of online just like you can justify the 100 dollar difference between 360 and PS3, but the point is it will be a huge perk for some who like me did not online game until it was free. Exactly how is the 360 more versitile??

My Mac is connected to my 360, and it allows me to play all the music in my iTunes library, all the photos in my iPhoto library, and all the movies in my movies folder easily. I can download a demo, play a game, and listen to music from my computer at the same time. I don't know if the PS3 is capable of doing this. They're also implimenting additional techonlogy in the future (IPTV I think?...). I'm not sure on all the details, so I'm going to refrain from commenting on it too much. If someone wants to fill that gap, be my guest. Connecting media players to a 360 (such as an iPod or other device) is very simple, and your music, photos, and movies show up appropriately. On the PS3, you have to go rooting through catagorized folders on the iPod, which give you no indication of what song, artist, genre, etc. you may be looking for. The 360 has a universal menu that you can always access to see a wealth of information regardless of what I may be doing. I do not know if the PS3 offers this freedom. I believe the majority of 360 owners use XBOX Live in one fashion or another, be it the Silver or Gold memberships. I don't have stats to back up my claim, but I did read that a large percentage were gaming online. Based on what I've written here, what can the PS3 do? I'm very curious, because I don't know as much about it. This is why I ask.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
360 and Wii, the PS3 is too damn hard to develope for, if it took the devs 6 years to use the PS2 to the fullest,(Just look at GoW2, best looking game on the PS2) it will take devs longer to use the PS3, the fact the PS3 is harder to make games for, means the Wii and 360 will have games out on time/early while the PS3's will be delayed.