Which console brand are you going with next gen?

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll Which console brand are you going with next gen? (81 votes)

Microsoft. (Next Xbox) 23%
Nintendo. (NX?) 36%
Sony. (PS5) 41%

Based off of your current satisfaction with the current generation platforms. You know, since we know nothing about the 9th gen consoles. Would you go with your current console of choice next gen, or would you switch? Choose only one.

Assuming the NX has 3rd party support, I'd go with Nintendo. If it does not have 3rd party support, (Which, God forbid), I'd still go with NX. The twins have been out for over 2 years, and I still see no reason to buy them. If NX has no 3rd party support, I think I'm going to just join the PC Master Race next gen.

What about you? Which console brand will you be sticking with next gen.

• 
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I've zero brand loyalty so whichever is best. Best over cost is important for me.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Always PlayStation, purely because of my personal preference for their first party.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Don't know yet because they aren't out

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Impossible to tell, we know nothing about them.

Assuming all three are similar in terms of specs, online, and third party support, I will choose Nintendo.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Assuming all three are similar in terms of specs, online, and third party support, I will choose Nintendo.

Yea but we all know Nintendo won't be specced the same :P

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 khoofia_pika

@charizard1605 said:

No way in hell Nintendo's gonna be at par with PlayStation (dunno about Xbox) in terms of specs.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@khoofia_pika said:
@charizard1605 said:

No way in hell Nintendo's gonna be at par with PlayStation (dunno about Xbox) in terms of specs.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By khoofia_pika

@pikachudude860 said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@charizard1605 said:

That was over a decade ago. Things are very different now, both Nintendo and Sony go about their business in the console market in very different ways.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PikachuDude860
@charizard1605 said:

Assuming all three are similar in terms of specs, online, and third party support,

Let's go with that idea then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blue_hazy_basic said:

It could happen- I don't mean they will be literally the same specs, I just mean in the same ballpark to be able to receive third party support anyway.

@khoofia_pika said:

Sure it could happen- the N64 was almost a generation ahead of the PS1, and the Gamecube clowned the PS2. The Wii systems are the first time Nintendo consoles took a back seat in terms of console power, but if they are actually ditching the Wii philosophy, there is no reason why a Nintendo console could not feasibly match a PlayStation in terms of system power and specs.

@pikachudude860 said:

Yep. And the N64 more than the PS1.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Where´s the ALL OF THEM option ?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

NX. See I'm already prepped with a PC in case there is no 3rd party. So I have no issues if NX is anything like Wii U.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikachuDude860

@khoofia_pika said:
@pikachudude860 said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@charizard1605 said:

That was over a decade ago. Things are very different now, both Nintendo and Sony go about their business in the console market in very different ways.

Hmm...True. Though I think Nintendo is starting to understand how important hardware power is. The NX will show if they have learned their lesson or not.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It depends what nintendo do, if they get it right I'll get a nintendo console early in the gen.

If they screw up again I won't bother with any console until last year or two of the gen were I can buy it cheap and play any exclusives that interested me.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Where are the choices for 'All but Favor the PS5', All but Favor XTwo', or All but Favor NX'.

Never mind the "All but Favor XTwo', lems are one trick ponies narrow minded things.

Sheep have no choice but to support another console.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers:I'll be doing the same, brother. Best idea since sliced bread.

@charizard1605: I thought about the N64 being more powerful than the PS1. But I wasn't sure.

Yeah. No reason for NX not to be powerful enough for 3rd party support. Worst case scenario, it's like the Xbox One, where most of the games run a bit better on the other consoles. (Or like the Gamecube, which, is better than the Wii U at least)

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

None.

PC forever.

And really, blind brand loyalty is just stupid.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 khoofia_pika

@pikachudude860 said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@pikachudude860 said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@charizard1605 said:

Hmm...True. Though I think Nintendo is starting to understand how important hardware power is. The NX will show if they have learned their lesson or not.

I think they've learnt their lesson in that their new system won't be criminally underpowered in comparison to its direct competitors the way Wii and Wii U are, but I still don't think they'll put all their eggs in the tech basket. I think their focus will still be on providing a new experience. All the reports and rumours seem to hint at that.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PikachuDude860

@raugutcon said:

I guess it's of a question of which will you go with first.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 khoofia_pika

@charizard1605 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

It could happen- I don't mean they will be literally the same specs, I just mean in the same ballpark to be able to receive third party support anyway.

@khoofia_pika said:

Sure it could happen- the N64 was almost a generation ahead of the PS1, and the Gamecube clowned the PS2. The Wii systems are the first time Nintendo consoles took a back seat in terms of console power, but if they are actually ditching the Wii philosophy, there is no reason why a Nintendo console could not feasibly match a PlayStation in terms of system power and specs.

@pikachudude860 said:

Yep. And the N64 more than the PS1.

As I said, the N64 and the GCN were a long time ago, over a decade, and that's an even longer time in the gaming industry. Nintendo don't care about tech prowess as much as they once did, they go about making their consoles in a very different manner, as do Sony. You can't predict what Nintendo's behaviour will be next gen by pointing to what are now legacy consoles when recent examples over the last ten or so years tell you the exact opposite.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:
@raugutcon said:

Still not covered. It all depends on the order of release, you know which one comes first.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PikachuDude860

@flyincloud1116 said:
@pikachudude860 said:
@raugutcon said:

Still not covered. It all depends on the order of release, you know which one comes first.

....Good point. lol.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@undefined: calling ps4 and xbox one "twins" shows you know next to nothing about their libraries.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

All 3 of them Day 1. I got Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One day 1 as well.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

I've zero brand loyalty so whichever is best. Best over cost is important for me.

If only the world thought as you do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@khoofia_pika: You would have a point- if Nintendo had not pointed out that they will be switching things up from the Wii and Wii U for the NX, if they had not hired an American hardware designer to design the NX, if the technology team that had designed the DS, Wii, and Wii U, headed by Miyamoto, had not announced that it was stepping back from designing the NX, if industry insiders had not reported that the NX seems to be so powerful that it needs industry leading chips to run games on it.

The point is, Nintendo is specifically ditching the Wii, and everything to do with it- will the NX be absurdly overpowered like the N64 once was? Nah, I don't think so. Can it at least match PlayStation? Sure, definitely. I think people forget that this is the first generation ever that PlayStation conclusively had the most powerful system on the market (PS1 was at least weaker than N64, tied with Saturn overall, PS2 was weaker than Gamecube and Dreamcast, PS3 was functionally tied with Xbox 360). I wouldn't be so sure about Nintendo underpowering their system the next time- I'm not saying they won't. I'm saying that saying that they will is stupid.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 khoofia_pika

@charizard1605 said:

@khoofia_pika: You would have a point- if Nintendo had not pointed out that they will be switching things up from the Wii and Wii U for the NX, if they had not hired an American hardware designer to design the NX, if the technology team that had designed the DS, Wii, and Wii U, headed by Miyamoto, had not announced that it was stepping back from designing the NX, if industry insiders had not reported that the NX seems to be so powerful that it needs industry leading chips to run games on it.

The point is, Nintendo is specifically ditching the Wii, and everything to do with it- will the NX be absurdly overpowered like the N64 once was? Nah, I don't think so. Can it at least match PlayStation? Sure, definitely. I think people forget that this is the first generation ever that PlayStation conclusively had the most powerful system on the market (PS1 was at least weaker than N64, tied with Saturn overall, PS2 was weaker than Gamecube and Dreamcast, PS3 was functionally tied with Xbox 360). I wouldn't be so sure about Nintendo underpowering their system the next time- I'm not saying they won't. I'm saying that saying that they will is stupid.

Point taken.

I know Nintendo have said several times that they consciously want to move away from the Wii brand in every way possible, and I also know that Nintendo ARE making an effort to be more technically relevant this time around, but as I said before in this thread, I just don't think they will put all their eggs in the tech basket the way Sony do nowadays. I do think the NX will be powerful enough to at least be able to hold its own against its direct competitors (PS5 and XB3)- at least I hope that's the case, because Nintendo would come across as pretty stupid if it wasn't- but I think Nintendo will be more focused on providing a new experience for gaming, as they have been doing for the last two generations.

So, basically, a mixture of GCN/N64 Nintendo and Wii/Wii U Nintendo.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Mostly likely I´m just gonna continue PC gaming only,though to be honest,at least this current gen Nintendo is looking far more appealing for me than MS or Sony(if I said this shit 10 years ago I´d laugh at myself all day,how things change..).
It all depends on what the NX will actually be.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@khoofia_pika said:

Always PlayStation, purely because of my personal preference for their first party.

An almost non existent entity on their latest.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

None, ps4 is the last console I'll ever buy. PCs for me from here on out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@khoofia_pika said:

Point taken.

I know Nintendo have said several times that they consciously want to move away from the Wii brand in every way possible, and I also know that Nintendo ARE making an effort to be more technically relevant this time around, but as I said before in this thread, I just don't think they will put all their eggs in the tech basket the way Sony do nowadays. I do think the NX will be powerful enough to at least be able to hold its own against its direct competitors (PS5 and XB3)- at least I hope that's the case, because Nintendo would come across as pretty stupid if it wasn't- but I think Nintendo will be more focused on providing a new experience for gaming, as they have been doing for the last two generations.

So, basically, a mixture of GCN/N64 Nintendo and Wii/Wii U Nintendo.

I can agree with that- they will try new things, and still try to not be completely outclassed by their competitors this time around. I think Nintendo feel like they need a 'hook' for some reason, but I also think that they want all the revenue and userbase that comes from proper third party support too. So, an intersection of both approaches.

I agree.

@Arach666 said:

Mostly likely I´m just gonna continue PC gaming only,though to be honest,at least this current gen Nintendo is looking far more appealing for me than MS or Sony(if I said this shit 10 years ago I´d laugh at myself all day,how things change..).

It all depends on what the NX will actually be.

brb, time traveling.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Too early to tell for me, I'm on my 2ND Xbox console(never owned the OG), and I've owned 2 Playstations in the past(PS1 and PS2), and I don't have major complaints with either. Only thing is I'm a huge fan of Forza and Halo, and I love how Xbox does online I think it's top notch stuff with parties on dedicated servers, etc. Playing Halo 5 in the past week in parties of 10-12 people everything was so smooth, I dont know how the PS4(or the eventual PS5) compares in that regard but if it ain't broke why should I fix it.

Nothing is set in stone for me at the end of the day, bottom line is regardless which system I decide to buy I always keep a open mind and if a game comes along on a competing system that I must have, I will buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

None. This was probably my last console generation. Only PC from now on. Unless Sony surprises me with more and good 1st party support, PC it is

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

My first preference will always be Xbox, but I'll decide once I've tried them all (like this gen).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Looks like System Wars really wants Nintendo to get their shit together.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#36 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

all three

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 khoofia_pika

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@khoofia_pika said:

An almost non existent entity on their latest.

So far, yes. 2016's gonna be awesome, though.

AppleTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AppleTV
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

I usually don't like Nintendo, but I really like everything I have heard about the NX so far, so that.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By khoofia_pika

@LordCrash88 said:

PC forever.

Do I even have to point out the contradiction? Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@LordCrash88 said:

PC forever.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

@charizard1605: Bitch,I´ve been playing Paper Mario on the N64 and I´m loving it. >.> Its the kind of mario game I can get into.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605: Bitch,I´ve been playing Paper Mario on the N64 and I´m loving it. >.> Its the kind of mario game I can get into.

Lol. Yeah, you'll find other stuff like that you can get into. Try Zelda for sure.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Same thing I do every gen pinky, get them all.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I'm thinking that people are starting to get disenchanted with what Sony and MS has been pulling this gen.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I could care less about brand. If the NX is a good console, I'll buy that and upgrade my gaming PC and go PC/NX. I feel I would get the best amount of exclusives and 3rd party games that way. Part of me wishes I had've just gone PC/Wii U this time and left the PS4 and X1 on the shelves.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 khoofia_pika

@charizard1605 said:

Seeing as Nintendo are really the only ones who take the initiative to actually push the console market forward in meaningful ways, I'm not surprised. MS and Sony usually just follow their lead.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 khoofia_pika

@iambatman7986 said:

I could care less about brand. If the NX is a good console, I'll buy that and upgrade my gaming PC and go PC/NX. I feel I would get the best amount of exclusives and 3rd party games that way. Part of me wishes I had've just gone PC/Wii U this time and left the PS4 and X1 on the shelves.

I have nothing to say except I love Mistborn :3

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PikachuDude860

@charizard1605 said:

lol. Was thinking the same thing.

TaterTots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TaterTots
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@LordCrash88 said:

PC forever.

PC isn't really a brand bro because its a open platform unlike sony and microsoft is

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@bunchanumbers said:

I'm thinking that people are starting to get disenchanted with what Sony and MS has been pulling this gen.

@khoofia_pika said:

Seeing as Nintendo are really the only ones who take the initiative to actually push the console market forward in meaningful ways, I'm not surprised. MS and Sony usually just follow their lead.

Yeah. Plus I'll be honest, if there was a Nintendo console that got all major third party support? I wouldn't care to buy Xbox or PlayStation, I don't care about any of their first party games enough to buy entire consoles for them like I do with Nintendo. I imagine a lot of people still feel that way. The poor showing from PlayStation and Xbox first parties this generation so far can't be helping matters.

Maybe if Nintendo doesn't get Persona, I'll buy whatever system Persona shows up on as well.