When Google engineers first learned about the iPhone

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

for the Google Android team, the iPhone was a kick in the stomach. "What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties," DeSalvo said. "It's just one of those things that are obvious when you see it."

Now to be fair, the iPhone didn't catch just the Android folks off-guard; it caught everyone off-guard.

Everyone was utterly shocked. RIM (Blackberry) was even in denial the day after the iPhone was announced with all-hands meets claiming all manner of weird things about iPhone: It couldn't do what they were demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor; it must have terrible battery life, etc. Imagine their surprise when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it. It was ridiculous, it was brilliant.

The iPhone did many amazing things, but what stands out in my mind was how it proved that these assumptions were flat-out wrong beyond any reasonable doubt. Apple pretty gave everyone the finger and said, “Fsck you guys we can build your distant impossible future today.”

I really don’t think you’re giving Apple enough credit here. They did something amazing that many very prominent people in the industry thought was either impossible or at least a decade away, and they did it in a disgustingly short time frame.

sauce1, sauce2

P.S. Was just reading the above and thought it might be interesting to Android / iOS fans. I remember lots of debates (in mobile wars forum) about who innovated first and who copied whom in the mobile industry. So I thought the above might put some of those debates to rest.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

I don't really get why everyone is impressed with Apple.

All they did was wait until Samsung did all the engineering. Then they bought the parts and assembled them together. Nothing really impressive.

They made rectangular touchscreen phones prettier than the rest, I'll admit, but nothing that was truly innovative.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

If it's two things I have to credit Apple for, is the smartphone and tablet revolution that they brought about. I credit them for being the pioneers of those two great technologies, but as of right now, they've grown quite complacent and stale, to the point that they have to be playing catch up (see iOS 7) with everybody else.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Glad I switched to Android. I'll never go back to Apple.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

@Phazevariance: Yeah, I've always had problems with my iPod.

OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OrangeTabbyCat
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

All they did was wait until Samsung did all the engineering. Then they bought the parts and assembled them together. Nothing really impressive.

They made rectangular touchscreen phones prettier than the rest, I'll admit, but nothing that was truly innovative.

What's truly amazing is not them creating the hardware, what's amazing is that Apple had the vision of using what was available at the time and prove that you could make something that nobody thought possible.

It's the belief they had in their vision that got them to push forward and make absolutely remarkable things happen.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Unfortunately they don't seem like the same Apple as they were back in the day

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

.....It's the belief they had in their vision that got them to push forward and make absolutely remarkable things happen.

Easy there Socrates, it's a cellphone.

That honestly sounds like something right out of a marketing meeting.

richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

@lostrib said:

Unfortunately they don't seem like the same Apple as they were back in the day

Apple "back in the day" almost went bankrupt. When you think about it, Apple has been the most consistent company in terms of introducing new products to the market and giving them mass appeal. We are just 3-4 years removed from the introduction of the iPad, which has been Apple's most recent claim to fame. Before that it was the iPhone (2007) and the iPod (2001). Given their track record in the 21st century, no other tech company has come close to mirroring the consumer success that Apple has enjoying. There's little doubt they are cooking something up to reimagine the tech industry in another 2-3 years. A lot of people on the internet like to hate on Apple, but they've truly built a remarkable brand in terms of mass appeal and functionality within their ecosystem.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Apple may have bought it to the masses.. They sure kickstarted it. But android dominated it and made it less restrictive.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

This picture is false. The F700 wasn't revealed until after the iphone. Get out of here with your anti applie-ism..

Yeah maybe apple didn't engineer and innovate everything from the ground up, but they put it together in a package that was way ahead of it's time.. Now google has caught up and is even ahead in many ways, but they wouldn't be where they are at either without the iphone.. Give credit where its due

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

for the Google Android team, the iPhone was a kick in the stomach. "What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties," DeSalvo said. "It's just one of those things that are obvious when you see it."

Now to be fair, the iPhone didn't catch just the Android folks off-guard; it caught everyone off-guard.

Everyone was utterly shocked. RIM (Blackberry) was even in denial the day after the iPhone was announced with all-hands meets claiming all manner of weird things about iPhone: It couldn't do what they were demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor; it must have terrible battery life, etc. Imagine their surprise when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it. It was ridiculous, it was brilliant.

The iPhone did many amazing things, but what stands out in my mind was how it proved that these assumptions were flat-out wrong beyond any reasonable doubt. Apple pretty gave everyone the finger and said, “Fsck you guys we can build your distant impossible future today.”

I really don’t think you’re giving Apple enough credit here. They did something amazing that many very prominent people in the industry thought was either impossible or at least a decade away, and they did it in a disgustingly short time frame.

sauce1, sauce2

P.S. Was just reading the above and thought it might be interesting to Android / iOS fans. I remember lots of debates (in mobile wars forum) about who innovated first and who copied whom in the mobile industry. So I thought the above might put some of those debates to rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

Steve Ballmer's statement on the iPhone was LOL...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ronvalencia

@Couth_ said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

This picture is false. The F700 wasn't revealed until after the iphone. Get out of here with your anti applie-ism..

Yeah maybe apple didn't engineer and innovate everything from the ground up, but they put it together in a package that was way ahead of it's time.. Now google has caught up and is even ahead in many ways, but they wouldn't be where they are at either without the iphone.. Give credit where its due

The statement is false.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Apple-vs-Samsung-Samsung-before-and-after-iPhone.jpg

" Samsung noted that it had developed and brought to market its F700 phone before the iPhone came along. That phone can be seen in the bottom-right, along with other devices Samsung had considered putting on the market at least six months before the iPhone was announced.

When Apple learned of this, its lawyers dropped the F700 from their list of allegedly infringing products."

----------

As of today and the near future, Android's annual unit sales dominates the smart phone market.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

it's 2013 and Apple still sucks.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Couth_

@ronvalencia said:
@Couth_ said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

The statement is false.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Apple-vs-Samsung-Samsung-before-and-after-iPhone.jpg

" Samsung noted that it had developed and brought to market its F700 phone before the iPhone came along. That phone can be seen in the bottom-right, along with other devices Samsung had considered putting on the market at least six months before the iPhone was announced.

When Apple learned of this, its lawyers dropped the F700 from their list of allegedly infringing products."

----------

As of today and the near future, Android's annual unit sales dominates the smart phone market.

Strong link. Your link just goes back to your picture.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/04/20/talk-picture-samsung-f700/

The f700 wasn't even a smart phone...It didn't run android or have apps. Even if it it did come before the iphone, Apple was the first to put the entire package together. Android is ahead of apple today, but only because of the influence the iphone had

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Samsung Galaxy S2 is when i realised Android is the way forward. Customizable everything.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Sounds like hype, paid for by Apple.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ronvalencia

@Couth_ said:

@ronvalencia said:
@Couth_ said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

The statement is false.

----------

Strong link. Your link just goes back to your picture.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/04/20/talk-picture-samsung-f700/

The f700 wasn't even a smart phone...It didn't run android or have apps. Even if it it did come before the iphone, Apple was the first to put the entire package together. Android is ahead of apple today, but only because of the influence the iphone had

The picture was from http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/31/apple-vs-samsung-day-2-rectangles-prior-art-finger-pointing-android-redesign/

Your Android statement doesn't address the Apple's "look and feel" issue.

From http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f700-1849.php

Samsung F700 *is* a phone with support for 2G and 3G network.

----

From http://ausdroid.net/2013/04/25/samsung-continue-to-dominate-the-mobile-market-nearly-30-market-share-in-q1-2013/

Samsung > Apple in market share.

Google's Android is the new "Windows" clone for smart phones.

We all know clone platform > mono company platform in the PC market.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@ronvalencia:

haha, ya I remember this video. It was epic! I feel so stupid believing it back then and noding "true" :D

I remember when I first bought an iPhone (the original one) as a gift to my girlfriend and instantly falling in love with it myself when I was setting it up.

I couldn't resist and shortly afterwards bought myself one as well.. lol

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@Mystery_Writer said:

@ronvalencia:

haha, ya I remember this video. It was epic! I feel so stupid believing it back then and noding "true" :D

I remember when I first bought an iPhone (the original one) as a gift to my girlfriend and instantly falling in love with it myself when I was setting it up.

My phone at that time was a Sammy and my current phone is still a Sammy.

My slim laptop (ATIV Book 8 touch screen with Radeon HD 8870M) and smart phone (Samsung G3) stack are Sammy i.e. for Samsung's SideSync feature.

From http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

AMD Radeon HD 8870M (Samsung ATIV Book 8, 32 watts) > GeForce GT 750M (Apple MacBook Pro, 35 watts to 40 watts) and that's without AMD's Mantle.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@ronvalencia said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

@ronvalencia:

My phone at that time was a Sammy and my current phone is still a Sammy.

My slim laptop (ATIV Book 8 touch screen with Radeon HD 8870M) and smart phone (Samsung G3) stack are Sammy i.e. for Samsung's SideSync feature.

From http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

AMD Radeon HD 8870M (Samsung ATIV Book 8, 32 watts) > GeForce GT 750M (Apple MacBook Pro, 35 watts to 40 watts) and that's without AMD's Mantle.

Nice!

I had an HTC Touch (Windows Mobile) back then. But kept buying the newer iPhones every year ever since.

Now I have iPhone 5s 64GB, and my personal notebook is the latest 13" Macbook Pro with 2.8Ghz Intel Core i7 + 16GB RAM + 512GB PCIe based flash storage + Intel Iris graphics.

P.S. for gaming, I have a desktop PC (AMD 1100t + 16GB RAM + Titan SC)

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Apple- it sucked since Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak first built a computer from spare parts in the 70s.

Apple, hated since 1976.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

android destroys iphone atm though.

factually

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

i had the first iphone trust me on this it was gorgeous compared to other phones but it was expensive AF $500 on a two year contract I bought on ebay a few months later and unlocked it in canada for about $400 and iy lacked alot of stuff like a front face,camera could not even zoom in,no 3g,dropped calls all the time it was my main phone and it was horrible with that,After a few months reports of dead spots occurred for lots of people mine happened about 8 months later and it did not have an app store like today that came about a year later. Homebrew community managed to port emulators and stuff

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

I thought more people realized that Apple has always been good at integrating different pre-existing technologies into really well executed devices. I understand the hate with all of Apple's patent suit filings, but I don't understand the ignorance.

This coming from someone who doesn't own a single Apple product, but owns an Apple influencedproduct (Samsung Galaxy S Blaze).

You guys are in denial.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Android is getting better and better.

IOS isn't and has been left behind.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

I would like to see Apple make a gaming console.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And now Google, along with it's hardware associates Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. have surpassed Apple and it's iPhone in terms of quality, technology, accessibility and affordability. Until Apple steps up their game to actually compete with Google, rather than only continue to appeal to their niche market of loyal followers, they are on the fast-track to irrelevance.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I had a S2 and I hated it, I hated the fact that is took ages for it to actually get an update as they were issued by carriers instead of Google, the battery life sucked ass and the Touch Wizz shit was annoying. Still, I kept the phone for 2 years and has taken all the abuse of those 2 years very well. Say what you want about the software but Samsung built that phone like a tank.

I now have an iPhone 5s and I will never go back to Android.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

And now Google, along with it's hardware associates Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. have surpassed Apple and it's iPhone in terms of quality, technology, accessibility and affordability. Until Apple steps up their game to actually compete with Google, rather than only continue to appeal to their niche market of loyal followers, they are on the fast-track to irrelevance.

>Has the best selling phone ever

>irrelevant

lel.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

How can people still use that tiny 4" screen in 2014 is beyond me. I had a 4.3incher nearly 5 years ago (HTC HD2).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@clyde46 said:

>irrelevant

lel.

How much of the market is Android? How much iOS? It doesn't matter if their one particular device has sold the most, there are 50 different Android platforms that are all gaining in popularity and are surpassing the iPhone in terms of technology. Windows Phone is even catching up now.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

The more uneducated you are, the more appealing Apple products become.

OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OrangeTabbyCat

@Zoso813 said:

The more uneducated you are, the more appealing Apple products become.

That is not actually true.

People are spending more money on Apple products, not because they actually think the computers are better, not because they think the computers are actually worth that price, but rather because they believe in Apple's vision; they want to be a part of it and make it grow.

That my friend, has no price.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Iphones are boring phones built for the not tech savvy masses and women. They are solid phones but they're boring. Android phones like the S4, Note 3, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus 5, Moto X etc are way more exciting, way more customizable, way less restrictive.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Apple's biggest feat is not selling anything at a loss and making 30% off every iTunes/App Store sale.

Android ya have a bigger installed base, but Apple makes more money off their products. Google/Android is too fragmented.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Couth_

@foxhound_fox said:

@clyde46 said:

>irrelevant

lel.

How much of the market is Android? How much iOS? It doesn't matter if their one particular device has sold the most, there are 50 different Android platforms that are all gaining in popularity and are surpassing the iPhone in terms of technology. Windows Phone is even catching up now.

It doesn't matter. Saying they will be irrelevant is pretty stupid

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Couth_

@ronvalencia said:

The picture was from http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/31/apple-vs-samsung-day-2-rectangles-prior-art-finger-pointing-android-redesign/

----

From http://ausdroid.net/2013/04/25/samsung-continue-to-dominate-the-mobile-market-nearly-30-market-share-in-q1-2013/

I don't even know what you are trying to say.. It's like you are a robot and responded to the wrong post lol... Or maybe you struggle with english. I never said it's not a phone derp. I said it wasn't a smart phone. I never said anything about market share. I know android is well ahead in many aspects. I'm not talking about right now. The thread isn't about right now

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By ImDaMan4Realz
Member since 2013 • 97 Posts

My G2 > Iphone 5s. And to whoever says the iphone was the first all touch screen smartphone, WRONG. The iphone original wasnt even a smartphone. It didnt even launch with an app store. It couldn't copy and paste, it couldnt send or recieve pics, it couldn't multi task. All it could do was go on the web with 2g and watch YouTube

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Same thing happened with Tablets. I was reading in the Wall Street Journal how Apple created the very first consumer friendly tablet. Yes, there had been tablets before, but Apple put their consumer friendly spin on it and it wasn't until a year and half after its release that there was an actual competitor to the iPad. Unfortunately, the visionary in Apple is no longer alive, so I really don't expect them to create anything that takes a market by storm ever again.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ronvalencia

@Couth_ said:

@ronvalencia said:

----

I don't even know what you are trying to say.. It's like you are a robot and responded to the wrong post lol... Or maybe you struggle with english. I never said it's not a phone derp. I said it wasn't a smart phone. I never said anything about market share. I know android is well ahead in many aspects. I'm not talking about right now. The thread isn't about right now

You didn't readhttp://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f700-1849.php LOL...

I was referring to your "f700 wasn't even a smart phone...It didn't run android or have apps" statement.

Samsung F700 has JAVA MIDP 2.0, Google Maps and 'etc'.

For JAVA MIDP 2.0 docs, read http://docs.oracle.com/javame/config/cldc/ref-impl/midp2.0/jsr118/ take notice of game APIs.

JAVA MIDP 2.0 based software examples https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=java+midp+2.0

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

It's the belief they had in their vision that got them to push forward and make absolutely remarkable things happen.

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

but rather because they believe in Apple's vision; they want to be a part of it and make it grow.

Okay. You seriously need to lay off the Apple koolaid, or at least make it less obvious that you're a fanboy drone, copy/pasting from the company's mission statement.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@ronvalencia said:

----

if you're just meeting Ron, this is what he is like.

no real responses or rebuttal just oft irrelevant fact dumps.

OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OrangeTabbyCat

@the_bi99man said:

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

but rather because they believe in Apple's vision; they want to be a part of it and make it grow.

Okay. You seriously need to lay off the Apple koolaid, or at least make it less obvious that you're a fanboy drone, copy/pasting from the company's mission statement.

I'm a PC gamer, I actually don't like Apple or any of their overpriced products.

I just happen to understand what the company's vision is, their success in the past is almost entirely due to the fact they've been so loud about it.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

How is this relevant to SW?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ronvalencia

@Zaibach said:

@Couth_ said:

@ronvalencia said:

----

if you're just meeting Ron, this is what he is like.

no real responses or rebuttal just oft irrelevant fact dumps.

Your too stupid to realize that F700 has apps. LOL.