What's the most disappointing game this generation and of all time?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

This generation: BioShock. People were making this game out to be so much more than it truly was. I remember it came out around the same time as Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I remember saying to myself, I'd rather have BioShock on Wii than Prime 3. Now, I take that back. Once I found out that my PC could run the game, it turned out that it was just an over-hyped game that had you do a bunch of boring tasks and repeat what felt like the same thing over and over again. It didn't help that the combat absolutely blew. The storyline and atmosphere was very impressive, but it isn't what I thought it would be. I didn't take it for what it was. I expected more out of it, but it was still an enjoyable experience.

Of all time: Super Mario Sunshine. Super Mario 64 was an incredible game. When I look back at my childhood, I think of Banjo Kazooie, and then Super Mario 64. Then Super Mario Sunshine came along... six years later, and it definitely was not worth the wait. I didn't like the levels at all. They all were focused on the water theme, and I found that lame. I wanted to visit a haunted house, a city in the sky, a snow place, and all that crap. All I got was a bunch of water levels with some minor differences. The carnival level was pretty sweet, though, and the last level, the hot lava one, was a nice change of pace, despite it being short. But on top of that, all the tasks were just boring and I didn't have as much freedom as Super Mario 64. It was a fun game, but it wasn't what I expected it to be. Luckily, Galaxy blew me away and is now my favorite game of all time. I can't say too many positive things about Super Mario Sunshine, except for the fact that it didn't totally suck.

What say you?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I agree I don't like Bioshock too much especially considering how much praise it has gotten, but I don't think it's dissapointing.

I generally don't get dissapointed because for the most part (moreso prior to this gen) I never pay attention to reviews and hype, I only play what I think i'll like and I usually do. Paying attention to hype I bought Oblivion though, and that is by far by far the most dissapointing game I have ever played...

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts
I thought Hellgate: London was pretty disappointing.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really good. Your standards are amazingly high.

This generation, for me, it is Lair. I really wanted to like this game, and man did those SIXAXIS controls stink, IMO.

All time, I'd really have to think about that.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
This Gen: Bioshock, PDZ. All time: Doom 3
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts
I was going to say Lair, but I expected much much more out of Assassin's Creed. That game bored the **** out of me.
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 II-FBIsniper-II

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really goodSpruceCaboose

So a game has to be bad to be disappointing?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I would have to also say Lair or maybe HS not because of the graphics. But the short gameplays keeps you from buying it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really good. Your standards are amazingly high.

This generation, for me, it is Lair. I really wanted to like this game, and man did those SIXAXIS controls stink, IMO.

All time, I'd really have to think about that.

SpruceCaboose

They are good. Hell, they are better than most games. I just expected A LOT more from them than what I got. Maybe I was expecting too much, but people made them out to be much more than what they were.

Also, after playing Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine is even less impressive.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts
assasins creed, what a repetitive peice of crap.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really goodII-FBIsniper-II

To be dissapointing? No.

To be the most dissapointing game this generation? Yes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really goodII-FBIsniper-II

Yeah, I actually liked both games an awful lot. I gave BioShock a 9 out of 10 and Super Mario Sunshine a 7 out of 10. But I still wanted more from them. That's all I'm saying.

Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

No More heroes was probably the biggest disapointment for me this gen.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

I would say that a bad game is much more disappointing than a good game, by a large margin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Holy heck. Both of your most disappointing games are games that are really really goodDanm_999

To be dissapointing? No.

To be the most dissapointing game this generation? Yes.

I can't think of any other disappoint games this generation, to be honest. I mean, BioShock was pretty much the only game that really mattered enough to disappoint me.

Super Mario Galaxy delivered, as well as Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and many other games. BioShock didn't. Same with FEAR. And Half-Life 2. And Half-Life 2: Episode One. And Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. And Team Fortress 2. And... I could go on.

Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 are freaking awesome, but come on, Metroid Prime is a much more impressive single player experience than Half-Life 2, and Brawl is just a better multiplayer experience than Team Fortress 2, in my opinion.

GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
i loved Bioshock with a passion. & i'd have to say Ninja Whyden 2 was the biggest flop of this generation.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Shadow the hedgehog.

This generation, Red Steel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

No More heroes was probably the biggest disapointment for me this gen.

Popadophalis

It was a third party game for the Wii, so I expected it to be crap.

Now? It's in my top 20 favorite games of all time, and it can even compete with some of Nintendo's first party offerings. I mean, the combat was so much freaking fun, but I can see how you disliked it.

I didn't expect anything out of it and didn't let the hype get to me for this one. But when I bought it on January 22, 2008, it more than delivered. I was impressed.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose

Anyone who started Lair, heard that soundtrack and saw those visuals, and then felt anything less than thrilled at the controls (I know I was getting mighty mad at the game) can explain disappointed.

The soundtrack is great, the visuals are top notch, and it controls worse than a car with 4 square, flat tires. That first level felt like such a punch in the gut after all those production values just passed before your eyes. I could feel the potential burst into flames in my psyche.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Nothing beats PDZ.

It was awesome on the 64 and it turned out crap (9/10 - lol) this gen. If Rare make another one, they need to work from the original, and not make a crap game that annoys everyone.

All time - probably FFX2. I was excited for it thinking it'd be a real FF.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox

Anyone who started Lair, heard that soundtrack and saw those visuals, and then felt anything less than thrilled at the controls (I know I was getting mighty mad at the game) can explain disappointed.

The soundtrack is great, the visuals are top notch, and it controls worse than a car with 4 square, flat tires. That first level felt like such a punch in the gut after all those production values just passed before your eyes. I could feel the potential burst into flames in my psyche.

SpruceCaboose

The music and sound were really incredible. I was pleasantly surprised by those two, even as I was cursing at the tv.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Assasin's creed and Oblivion for me
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Considering I was sitting on the cowcatcher of the hype-train for BioShock screaming at the top of my lungs I would have to give both most disappointing "of this generation" and "of all time" to BioShock.

I was expecting something like God incarnate... all I got was just another mediocre shooter.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpruceCaboose

Considering I was sitting on the cowcatcher of the hype-train for BioShock screaming at the top of my lungs I would have to give both most disappointing "of this generation" and "of all time" to BioShock.

I was expecting something like God incarnate... all I got was just another mediocre shooter.
foxhound_fox

I could not disagree with you more fully, although I will respect your opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

foxhound_fox

3/5. Ouch, that's harsh, man.

But yeah, Metroid Prime has better atmosphere and better combat, as well as better puzzles. BioShock wins in the storyline and telling it, too. Also, I thought BioShock's concept was more interesting and original.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption>BioShock>Metroid Prime

This is my opinion, of course.

I thought the combat got so much better in the third one, since you can move and shoot AT THE SAME TIME!

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

foxhound_fox

It probably was the hype. My friend loves the game and doesn't go on gaming forums... I knew all about the game and read feedback from 360/PC fans when it was released, and had the same reaction as you.

Although, GTAIV was hyped to eternity and I'm loving that so I dunno...

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II-FBIsniper-II

foxhound_fox
Agreed. It was a decent game, but the shooting mechanics were...broken. The game was no fun to play for me. Playing on hard for my first play through didn't help though.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

I agree with everyone who said Bioshock. Mediocre shooter mechanics, linear, unforfilling/predictable ending, and it was hyped as the second coming, and failed to deliver.

Of all time...hm...Bard's Tale (Ps2). I was super hyped for it, read all the articles about it, pre-ordered it, picked it up, and it sucked so badly.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

This gen - Lair. Could've been so great but it ended up just like WTF?

All time - Halo2. First is my favorite console game of all time. Halo2 is mediocre garbage and took huge steps backwards in every area but having online play.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox
3/5. Ouch, that's harsh, man.DeathScape666

It is nothing more than an average game to me. It's shooter mechanics are lacklustre, the story is ripped straight off of System Shock 2 and it's only redeeming quality is the art styIe, although most of the areas feel empty and lack any sort of "feel."

I really think most of the game's praise comes from the reviewers "honeymoon period" with the game. They aren't able to break the game down and look at it's flaws when they are all being wowed by the pretty water effects. Heck, it took a while for me to notice the major flaws in the game because I was trying to convince myself that I should like the game since I was so hyped about it.

I clearly remember my first time playing it and getting to Neptune's Bounty and fighting the second batch of Big Daddies in that open area right at the beginning of the level. I distinctly remember saying to myself: "why am I not finding this game as enjoyable as I thought I would?" I just passed it off until late into the game when I was getting tired of killing the same enemies over and over and over again and just wanted to finally finish the game and get it over with.

BioShock could have been something spectacular. Levine made the mistake of trying too hard to make System Shock 3 and pleasing the action-oriented mainstream at the same time. It had all the foundations to be a fantastic game but failed to deliver on things even Levine said would be in the game like those so-called "RPG elements" and "moral choices."
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

foxhound_fox

wow you should lower your expectations:?

and hype is a killer

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 II-FBIsniper-II
All time - Halo2. First is my favorite console game of all time. Halo2 is mediocre garbage and took huge steps backwards in every area but having online play.Lazy_Boy88
My 3 straight years of playing it online disagrees.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
wow you should lower your expectations:?

and hype is a killer

killerfist

It was all Ken Levine's fault for calling it the best thing since sliced bread and developing the massive hype around the game. That was the last time I fell for developer hype and it pretty much almost killed gaming for me.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

This generation - Assassin's Creed

Theres alot of other big letdowns of all time but the ones that come to mind are:

Halo 2
Halo 3
Devil May Cry 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Ever Quest 2
Any sonic game after the originals

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killerfist

It was all Ken Levine's fault for calling it the best thing since sliced bread and developing the massive hype around the game. That was the last time I fell for developer hype and it pretty much almost killed gaming for me.foxhound_fox

fair enough. I just read your other post. I never played system shock so I can't compare the two. I just bought the game because a friend recommended it to me, so I wasn't really expecting much. I missed the entire hype around Bioshock tbh, so I guess that's the reason I enjoyed it more than you.

still expecting the 2nd comming is a bit much :P

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Call of Duty 2 for both.

CoD1 is a pile of awesome. CoD2 is.... decent at best. CoD4 is still a good game, but miles worse than the original.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]3/5. Ouch, that's harsh, man.foxhound_fox

It is nothing more than an average game to me. It's shooter mechanics are lacklustre, the story is ripped straight off of System Shock 2 and it's only redeeming quality is the art styIe, although most of the areas feel empty and lack any sort of "feel."

I really think most of the game's praise comes from the reviewers "honeymoon period" with the game. They aren't able to break the game down and look at it's flaws when they are all being wowed by the pretty water effects. Heck, it took a while for me to notice the major flaws in the game because I was trying to convince myself that I should like the game since I was so hyped about it.

I clearly remember my first time playing it and getting to Neptune's Bounty and fighting the second batch of Big Daddies in that open area right at the beginning of the level. I distinctly remember saying to myself: "why am I not finding this game as enjoyable as I thought I would?" I just passed it off until late into the game when I was getting tired of killing the same enemies over and over and over again and just wanted to finally finish the game and get it over with.

BioShock could have been something spectacular. Levine made the mistake of trying too hard to make System Shock 3 and pleasing the action-oriented mainstream at the same time. It had all the foundations to be a fantastic game but failed to deliver on things even Levine said would be in the game like those so-called "RPG elements" and "moral choices."

The so-called "moral choices" really only boiled down to either being good or evil. There was no in between, and there was nothing more to it than that. The game wasn't even that different either way. You would get more ADAMs if you were good, and less if you were evil. You would also get a different ending, depending on what you chose, but that was it. I don't like the fact that developers say that you can choose what path you want the game to take based on the decisions you make when really, all it boils down to is either taking Road A or Road B. There aren't many other options, and there's only one decision you'll be making.

I remember this forum went nuts when this game got a 9. People expected it to be a 9.5 or a 10, but it clearly wasn't cut out for either score. There were just too many things against it. The game had a lot of potentional and when I first entered Rapture, I was very excited, especially after that video Andrew Ryan had, but then when I got there, I wasn't very impressed. It seemed like each and every area had the same people doing the same thing, and then you had to do the same thing in very similar areas to progress forward.

I never played System Shock 2 so I can't compare the two, but from what I've heard, BioShock is actually a downgrade of System Shock 2. And that's really sad when you remember that BioShock is nine years older than it's spiritual predeccessor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.-Renegade

Well, Super Mario Galaxy involves a fat Italian plumber, that lives in a world inhabited by deformed mushroom people, blasting off into space in an attempt to collect living stars so that he can stop a mutated turtle from making his own galaxy and ****ing a human being.

But the final result was that it is totally awesome. That "dragon game" could have very well been one of the best games of all time if it did what it was meant to do in a fun way. Just because the concept doesn't sound very fun, doesn't mean the game isn't going to be the next Ocarina of Time.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killerfist

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.DeathScape666

Well, Super Mario Galaxy involves a fat Italian plumber, that lives in a world inhabited by deformed mushroom people, blasting off into space in an attempt to collect living stars so that he can stop a mutated turtle from making his own galaxy and ****ing a human being.

But the final result was that it is totally awesome. That "dragon game" could have very well been one of the best games of all time if it did what it was meant to do in a fun way. Just because the concept doesn't sound very fun, doesn't mean the game isn't going to be the next Ocarina of Time.

Liar could be an above avarage game if they released a patch for normal controlls.

graphics and sound are great. Gameplay craptastic

pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts
Disappointments are proportional to your hype level, I was massively hyped for Oblivion and when i finally played it, it was such a huge letdown. On the other hand Ive seen a few people say Assassins creed and after recently picking this up for my PC I was pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it as I wasn't expecting a lot after hearing people talk about it here but it was on sale and I wanted to check it out and it was well worth it.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

For me...Oblivion.

I LOVE Morrowind...and then they released this garbage.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Liar could be an above avarage game if they released a patch for normal controlls.

killerfist

They all ready did release a patch for normal controls...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.killerfist

They did, but it still sucks lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox
Disappointments are proportional to your hype level, I was massively hyped for Oblivion and when i finally played it, it was such a huge letdown. On the other hand Ive seen a few people say Assassins creed and after recently picking this up for my PC I was pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it as I wasn't expecting a lot after hearing people talk about it here but it was on sale and I wanted to check it out and it was well worth it.pieatorium

I don't know... I didn't know about Oblivion or the Elder Scrolls games before I played Oblivion over a year ago and found it to be a very flawed and disappointing experience the further I got into it.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killerfist
[QUOTE="killerfist"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.Chutebox

wow really? pwned:P

OK I'll shut up about Liar

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="killerfist"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]people are saying lair but it was a dragon game... how exciting could it be? anyways i would have to say i was thoroughly disappointed in the orange box after all the praise it got.killerfist

wow really? pwned:P

OK I'll shut up about Liar

No don't, controls still aren't good. And the lock-on system is the worst part for me, ahead of the controls.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killerfist

No don't, controls still aren't good. And the lock-on system is the worst part for me, ahead of the controls.Chutebox
yeah I remember the lock on was pretty random. And the camera was a pain in the arse. I played the game around the time it was released so missed the patch part. The game was great to look at though and story was decent enough from what I've seen. SIXAXIS controlls were epic fail. I always thought the game had potential with the right controlls.

ah well..

Cajun_Catfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 Cajun_Catfish
Member since 2008 • 1369 Posts

@Deathscape666's sig: My most recent review: There was no point in remaking Final Fantasy III and making another generation of gamers suffer. (Nintendo DS) (1.0/10)

Were u stoned when u wrote that?