What will you do if we get same hardware jump next get?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll What will you do if we get same hardware jump next get? (71 votes)

Quit consoles! 30%
Buy the "new" consoles 54%
Wait till next gen! 15%

what if this new trend of consoles that cost LESS than their sale price continues?

If we get just 1080p 30fps standard and 60fps in some low graphics titles next gen?

If we get again x4 the power of Xbone? Like a $1000 PC of today?

What you gonna do?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Won't happen. We got weak cpu's and not amazing gpu's because of the transition to APU's and both sony and MS not willing to loss lead with hardware anymore. You'll see a full generational leap (over jaguar) with both the cpu's and gpu's (over 7850) next gen.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61484 Posts

Play games.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Possibly not buy a console for the first time but i don't think that it'll be this weak (especially on the MS side).

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

We won't.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I've all ready quit due to the hardware being on the low end. I don't think much will get me interested in purchasing another, due to the online being held behind a paywall.

Lavenders2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lavenders2001
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

The jump will probably be the same.
I thought the whole point of consoles was that you got an inferior experience to PC but it was cheaper (even though many PCs today seem to output console levels of performance cheaper anyway). So there is no reason to make a super powerful console because then nobody would buy it. The audience of people who want the best graphics/performance are already satisfied by the PC market.
Remember the PS3? They made a console that was supposedly more powerful than any PC you could get at the time, but the console was nearly $1000 on launch. It was a giant flop and even the 360 outsold the shit out of it, despite the fact that the PS3 had superior hardware.
If a console wants to be powerful like a PC (or at least a fair bit more powerful than the last gen) it needs to cost more, and console players won't pay big money for that, as evidenced by the fact the PC exists, as well as the PS3 flop at its launch.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

To be honest I'm not interested in the twins anymore. I'll probably stick with Nintendo and PC until the end. PC gives me everything I want from 3rd party and Nintendo for first party stuff. Its just tough to buy a console with these specs and their illusion of power.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

What is wrong with the text on this poll?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@onesiphorus: One of the coders over at their site seems to weekly be going through the text options and royally fucking them up 1 by one. I leave for a week or two come back and a new option like IMG is 100% broken and links are all fucked now this week they've fucked text after polls.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I'M GONNA BUY A NEW CONSOLE JUST TO SMASH IT THEN PLEDGE MY LIFE TO PC MUSTARD RACE!!!!

Not really, but I just wanted to give True_Gamer a hardon.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@lavenders2001 said:

I thought the whole point of consoles was that you got an inferior experience to PC but it was cheaper (even though many PCs today seem to output console levels of performance cheaper anyway). So there is no reason to make a super powerful console because then nobody would buy it. The audience of people who want the best graphics/performance are already satisfied by the PC market.

Remember the PS3? They made a console that was supposedly more powerful than any PC you could get at the time, but the console was nearly $1000 on launch. It was a giant flop and even the 360 outsold the shit out of it, despite the fact that the PS3 had superior hardware.

If a console wants to be powerful like a PC (or at least a fair bit more powerful than the last gen) it needs to cost more, and console players won't pay big money for that, as evidenced by the fact the PC exists, as well as the PS3 flop at its launch.

The PS3 was not a grand, it was $599 at release.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

No one wants to sell consoles for a big loss anymore. Nintendo showed that it's possible to sell launch systems for a profit and still be successful with the Wii, and now everyone's adopted the same model.

We also know that $400 is a psychological barrier for most people to pick up a console. So in terms of jumps, you're looking at basically a repeat of what Sony did with the PS4 in the year 2013 - that's really the best case scenario.

If you want a big jump next gen, better hope for a long generation so that mid-level hardware can be 4K standard. 2020 would be a good release date for that.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I want a PS Cinco

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I just get whatever has the games I want to play, and graphics have come so far that by the time the next consoles come out, they'll be easily powerful enough. Hopefully VR is quite successful and works well with some games. I'll probably give Oculus Rift a try after the consumer version comes out. It seems there's exciting times ahead, whether it's on PC or consoles.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@lavenders2001 said:

It is the manufacturing costs....

And if the next gen consoles are just a $1000 from today that will be pathetic for 2020 and not that bad for 2017....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

To be honest I'm not interested in the twins anymore. I'll probably stick with Nintendo and PC until the end. PC gives me everything I want from 3rd party and Nintendo for first party stuff. Its just tough to buy a console with these specs and their illusion of power.

I'm with you right there on this one. This gen, will probably be my last with MS and Sony despite I'm cool with my PS4/Xbox One but my age is showing, [I'll be 30 years old this month] and the fact that I can only game so much, I won't bother another new Sony/MS console from here on out. As for Nintendo console, I think I'll just stick to there handhelds and I get more value on there handhelds now then there consoles. Nintendo handhelds/PC is what I'm gonna be doing next-gen.

@onesiphorus said:

What is wrong with the text on this poll?

@ribstaylor1 said:

@onesiphorus: One of the coders over at their site seems to weekly be going through the text options and royally fucking them up 1 by one. I leave for a week or two come back and a new option like IMG is 100% broken and links are all fucked now this week they've fucked text after polls.

I can still the the full text on Mobile but on the computer, it's cut in half.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

Play games.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I have a gaming PC for high-end graphics. Consoles are for the exclusives.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

First what is up with the OP? I cant read the beginnings of your questions.

Second, I think people need to get used to this type of console market. Company's are not going to make cutting edge consoles and sell them at a loss anymore. The industry and costs have risen to high at this point for companies to do it and please stock holders. So new gens will be an increase over last gen and that is enough for the majority of consumers, but for people who frequent forums, and know about PC gaming and its levels it will be a sore point. But they aren't the ones that have to pitch a console to a board of directors and explain why its good to cost $1000 to make but sell it at $400.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@freedomfreak said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Play games.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Everybody got choices. I chose to play games as long as I can.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Get the new consoles, obviously. The jump this generation was about the same we always have been in the past (12+ times the power).

Do you guys honestly dont understand why we wont see anything as obvious as the transition from 2D sprites to 3D models anymore?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The actual leap in power from gen 7 to gen 8 was actually pretty big. It just didn't seem like it because gen 8 consoles weren't even up to date let alone more powerful than a high end PC at launch and we're now a year and half with two further graphics card and CPU revisions pushing the older hardware even further back.

@PAL360 said:

Get the new consoles, obviously. The jump this generation was about the same we always have had in any past (12+ times the power).

Do you guys honestly dont understand why we wont see anything as obvious as the transition from 2D sprites to 3D models anymore?

I get the impression that you have not been playing games maxed at 1440p and 60+ frames per second on a high end PC, in recent history (screenshots and compressed videos don't count). If you had, you wouldn't be saying there is no obvious difference.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

The actual leap in power from gen 7 to gen 8 was actually pretty big. It just didn't seem like it because gen 8 consoles weren't even up to date let alone more powerful than a high end PC at launch and we're now a year and half with two further graphics card and CPU revisions pushing the older hardware even further back.

@PAL360 said:

Get the new consoles, obviously. The jump this generation was about the same we always have had in any past (12+ times the power).

I get the impression that you have not been playing games maxed at 1440p and 60+ frames per second on a high end PC, in recent history (screenshots and compressed videos don't count). If you had, you wouldn't be saying there is no obvious difference.

So are you saying that something like GTA 5 on PC compared to PS4 is a bigger difference graphically than SNES to PS1? PS1 to PS2? Or even PS3 to PS4?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@GarGx1:

Im not discussing PC superiority. I'm discussing how current gen consoles compare to last gen ones. For console gamers only, PS4 and X1 games look one generation ahead anything they used to play last gen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

if they have great exclusives that interest me then i will get them.

the hardware is meaningless really.the jump is pretty irrelevant.

i currently have a wiiu to go with my PC. i certainly didnt buy the wiiu because i think it has lots of "teh hidden power". as a console its probably the worst console nintendo have designed since the N64. its slow, its badly thought out, its main feature is pointless for games and so on.

but it has great exclusive games and i like to play great games.

when the PS4 and X1 get enough exclsuives that interest me then i will also pick those up.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@undefined: I'll base my purchase decision on the software available, the price, and the length between generations. I figure I'll do embassy I've always done... enjoy the games.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@PAL360 said:

I remember the launch of Xbox360. $1000 PCs trembled in 2005...

Judging by TFLOP performance only the x5 jump will mean that a SLI 980GTX setup will run PS5 games...thats a $1000 PC from 2014...playing console games of 2020....

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Probably buy them anyways because at that point, the expectation that PC gamers will like a game inferior to what they actually want will have killed the platform.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Good God is @True_Gamer_ a lousy poster...

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@davillain- said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I'm with you right there on this one. This gen, will probably be my last with MS and Sony despite I'm cool with my PS4/Xbox One but my age is showing, [I'll be 30 years old this month] and the fact that I can only game so much, I won't bother another new Sony/MS console from here on out. As for Nintendo console, I think I'll just stick to there handhelds and I get more value on there handhelds now then there consoles. Nintendo handhelds/PC is what I'm gonna be doing next-gen.

I think you'll be just fine with whatever Nintendo handheld they make next. If it has scalable graphics like everyone is claiming, you won't miss out on anything that the console can't do. Plus probably more handheld exclusives and remasters. I would consider the same route if I wasn't such a idiot and loved their consoles.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I shall buy the next batch of consoles for the 9th generation. Whether or not there is a massive jump in hardware specs. But until the start of the 9th Generation we just don't know.

Lavenders2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lavenders2001
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@lavenders2001 said:

Sorry it seems that this was the case in other countries outside Australia. In Australia it was priced at $900-1000 depending on the hard drive space you got for it.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If the games are there, I'll still buy.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

They'll all be muti manufactured Universal Stream Cable boxes in 2020-2022 where you pay monthly / yearly fees per Publisher, hopefully, a' la carte so ya know, just sayin. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It is the game design that is more disappointing than the hardware, imo.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I'll buy Xbox and PlayStation 100%.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@SecretPolice said:

They'll all be muti manufactured Universal Stream Cable boxes in 2020-2022 where you pay monthly / yearly fees per Publisher, hopefully, a' la carte so ya know, just sayin. :P

It is possible, no doubt. Personally I see the industry shrinking over time. These boxes may exist but where there's a proven market there's usually someone in it. Sounds odd to some but I think Nintendo will be the only of the three still putting out dedicated game hardware.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SecretPolice

@Heirren said:
@SecretPolice said:

It is possible, no doubt. Personally I see the industry shrinking over time. These boxes may exist but where there's a proven market there's usually someone in it. Sounds odd to some but I think Nintendo will be the only of the three still putting out dedicated game hardware.

The last part, yup, I can see "N" doing their own thing, not sure how successful they'd be in an environment as I laid out there. Much will depend upon the widespread, economical feasibility of super fast internet connections available but I'm convinced the industry badly wants to go this route and may make it happen by 2022 or so. .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@SecretPolice said:
@Heirren said:
@SecretPolice said:

The last part, yup, I can see "N" doing their own thing, not sure how successful they'd be in an environment as I laid out there. Much will depend upon the widespread, economical feasibility of super fast internet connections available but I'm convinced the industry badly wants to go this route and may make it happen by 2022 or so. .

People look at numbers of consoles sold and think it is the be all end all of business. That isn't exactly how it works. For example, the most popular audio amplifiers are the all-in-one 7.1 surround solution yet there is a niche(r) market within this field that still wants the high end gear. As long as people buy the product it will continue to be produced. It is why I don't understand how some are so unknowing of what MS and Sony are striving for in terms of a subscription based service. Even 3rd party developers are doing it in terms of release schedule, dlc, and now even server shut downs, etc.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice

@Heirren:

Yeah man, I think we're not light years apart from one another train of thought. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the next 10 years. And for the record, I'm not saying what I said because I'm hoping it goes that route but rather just thinking out loud how it might go.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#42 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@davillain-: what does your age have to do with anything? 30 is not old (despite what people under 25 may say). I am 36 and will be gaming till the day I die. They will have to pry the controller away from my cold stiff hands lol. I also have 2 kids and gaming has been a great thing, for bonding.

Please don't let preconceived age stereotypes keep you from something you love.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#43 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@True_Gamer_: no they did not. PC has always been stronger than consoles. Your 360 had no match for my 2006 pc playing cod2 at twice the resolution... stop spreading that false myth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

I don't really think there will be another generation of consoles. Hardware in our own homes will become obsolete probably

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

What's wrong with the power of consoles? Have you seen Titanfall?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@Midnightshade29: I guess I should have explain it more. I'm just not hype for a game that I used to be. That said, I'll just stick to Handheld/PC whenever Sony/MS release there next consoles and I have a 7 year old daughter who also loves to game on her Wii U. Of course, if Sony/MS show something good, I'll think about buying there new consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So the 8GB GDDR5 hype is officially dead then?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

buy it. exclusives do count for something

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

I'll remain a PC gamer who dabbles in consoles, both have their advantages as we all know.

One thing I'm hopeful to see is how much of a boost in performance we'll get with DX12, and the new OpenGL goodness, for both PC and consoles. We may see a lot better increase in performance for the next round of consoles.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

So the 8GB GDDR5 hype is officially dead then?

lol TC is actually a lemming

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/new-xbox-in-november-2017-scenario-what-will-sony--32026514/#49

So it would be more appropriate to say, "So the 20 % GPU boost, Unlimited Cloud for gfx, Direct X hype" is officially dean then.

Since it's the disappointment of an xbox fanboy who wants this generation to be over and have a new system to come out and challenge the PS4 because he have lost faith in xbox one your 8GB GDDR5 comment is completely off the mark. Perhaps you don't know what hype is since 8GB of GDDR5 is reality which is the opposite of hype and all the things xbox fans have been hoping would put it on even grounds with PS4 was/is 'hype".