what was the plot of Dark souls? i played it a crapload and have no idea....

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

[QUOTE="Oil_rope_bombs"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Well yes the gameplay has to be good otherwise its a moovie! ;) the diablo guy is posting like an alt account but with 3500 posts so im scratching myy head... as for open mindedness yes indeed but at 60 bucks a whack i wont be buying DS... maybe when its 15... just cant take the risk of being frstrated AND poor... :)

AmazonTreeBoa

Try out Demon's Souls, it's pretty cheap. (About $12) It'll get you ready for Dark Souls.

Now I can see doing that. Even if I ended up not liking it, so what. It is so cheap it wouldn't matter.

Demon souls is actually alot better than Dark souls...YEAH I SAID IT.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Oil_rope_bombs"] Try out Demon's Souls, it's pretty cheap. (About $12) It'll get you ready for Dark Souls. musalala

Now I can see doing that. Even if I ended up not liking it, so what. It is so cheap it wouldn't matter.

Shhhhh don't say that. People in this thread will start bashing you for having an opinion that differs from theirs. They can't handle you not sharing their opinion.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
A RPG with no storyline? Makes me think of Demigod (different genre, but nothing much to go on).
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] Somehow skipping an RPG with no story doesn't seem like a loss to me. It seems like money saved to spend on a different game. But you go ahead and keep on thinking it is a loss to me. :roll:

It is a loss since you're not buying a great game due to a meaningless reason ;)

it isn't a meaningless reason for one. Also you are right. It is a loss......to the publisher, but not to me. Something you don't want is not a loss.

Thats the thing. You don't know anything about the game and you don't wanna play it. That is a loss
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] Somehow skipping an RPG with no story doesn't seem like a loss to me. It seems like money saved to spend on a different game. But you go ahead and keep on thinking it is a loss to me. :roll:sts106mat

It is a loss since you're not buying a great game due to a meaningless reason ;)

its not a meaningless reason. do you like EVERY single type of game? he has said for him to enjoy a game, he needs a story. what your proposing is like telling a person with no legs that if they didn't play Dance central 2 it was their loss.

That is because he played games that "required" (what he thinks) a story so he got used to it. That is "meaningless". Just because it is labeled RPG, doesn't mean it needs a story. Do you play Pokemon for story? That analogy is ridiculous. The disabled person CAN'T play DC2, it is not that he DOESN'T WANT to
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] It is a loss since you're not buying a great game due to a meaningless reason ;)

it isn't a meaningless reason for one. Also you are right. It is a loss......to the publisher, but not to me. Something you don't want is not a loss.

Thats the thing. You don't know anything about the game and you don't wanna play it. That is a loss

I already said it was a loss. A loss to the publisher. What part are you missing and/or not understanding. In order for it to be a loss to me.......I HAVE TO WANT IT. Stop being so slow.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="sts106mat"]

its not a meaningless reason. do you like EVERY single type of game? he has said for him to enjoy a game, he needs a story. what your proposing is like telling a person with no legs that if they didn't play Dance central 2 it was their loss.

sts106mat

That is because he played games that "required" (what he thinks) a story so he got used to it. That is "meaningless". Just because it is labeled RPG, doesn't mean it needs a story. Do you play Pokemon for story? That analogy is ridiculous. The disabled person CAN'T play DC2, it is not that he DOESN'T WANT to

its not ridiculous, the guy stated that HE NEEDED a story, just like the disabled person would NEED legs. its a bit extreme, but i thought about what i posted before i hit "submit" and it makes sense. Oh and i dont play pokemon, because i am older than the people that grew up with pokemon. i suppose me not playing pokemon is my loss aswell? lol.

So if theres no story, then he'll die? He doesn't NEED it. That analogy is extreme. You can't play DS2 if you don't have legs, but you can STILL play an RPG with no story.

That is not the point about Pokemon, stop beating around the bush. People play it because of the gameplay even if its an RPG.

P.s. Age has nothing to do with it

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] it isn't a meaningless reason for one. Also you are right. It is a loss......to the publisher, but not to me. Something you don't want is not a loss.

I already said it was a loss. A loss to the publisher. What part are you missing and/or not understanding. In order for it to be a loss to me.......I HAVE TO WANT IT. Stop being so slow.

That is the thing, you don't know what you want because you're associating it with other RPGs and generalizing it. That is a loss because you will be wrong when you play it. Slow? So you want me to reply more often.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] its not ridiculous, the guy stated that HE NEEDED a story, just like the disabled person would NEED legs. its a bit extreme, but i thought about what i posted before i hit "submit" and it makes sense. Oh and i dont play pokemon, because i am older than the people that grew up with pokemon. i suppose me not playing pokemon is my loss aswell? lol. sts106mat

So if theres no story, then he'll die? He doesn't NEED it. That analogy is extreme. You can't play DS2 if you don't have legs, but you can STILL play an RPG with no story.

That is not the point about Pokemon, stop beating around the bush. People play it because of the gameplay even if its an RPG.

P.s. Age has nothing to do with it

Age has everything to do with it, i am older than the kids that grew up with pokemon, i therefore dont care about it. again, is it my loss that i choose not to play pokemon, even if i may actually enjoy it? to be at a loss you must want something. As for the main question, he has stated that any interest he may have had in the game has now gone because for him to enjoy an RPG he needs a story. why is that hard for you to understand.

People from all ages play Pokemon. So if you don't play something that is good, you're missing out. The reason why he is saying that is because he is associating it with other RPGs, which he shouldn't. Because DS isn't about that, it has a different approach. He should understand that, not me.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

The Dark Soul story is complicated and unless you play the game and know the world there won't be any point in my typing it. Further more I doubt anyone has intention to read it just trying to troll the game. However if anyone is actually really interested you can come and ask here I'm trying to edit the lore section there but it's too disorganized to be done in a proper maner.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

wow this got alot more posts than i thought it would

I have come to the conclustion that DS has no real story and its just a game where you go from point A to pont B and hope you dont die. wich for me is a game not really worth playing.

I mean what am i working for? to beat a game that has virtually no story with a figthing system so hard you literally need to take hours just to get through one small part of a game? its not worth that time and effort when in the end it dosnt pay off it just keeps getting harder and harder with no reward.

I dont know how dark souls got such a high score on any website. its extremely repetative with no story so i dont know how anyone would like it. Well i guess the JRPG fanboys would like it but that cant account for a very high amount of people.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Joedgabe

wow this got alot more posts than i thought it would

I have come to the conclustion that DS has no real story and its just a game where you go from point A to pont B and hope you dont die. wich for me is a game not really worth playing.

I mean what am i working for? to beat a game that has virtually no story with a figthing system so hard you literally need to take hours just to get through one small part of a game? its not worth that time and effort when in the end it dosnt pay off it just keeps getting harder and harder with no reward.

I dont know how dark souls got such a high score on any website. its extremely repetative with no story so i dont know how anyone would like it. Well i guess the JRPG fanboys would like it but that cant account for a very high amount of people.

hofuldig

The Dark Soul story is complicated and unless you play the game and know the world there won't be any point in my typing it. Further more I doubt anyone has intention to read it just trying to troll the game. However if anyone is actually really interested you can come and ask here I'm trying to edit the lore section there but it's too disorganized to be done in a proper maner.

Joedgabe

Or just read the all about Dark Souls secrets thread but I doubt it would answer your question.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] Age has everything to do with it, i am older than the kids that grew up with pokemon, i therefore dont care about it. again, is it my loss that i choose not to play pokemon, even if i may actually enjoy it? to be at a loss you must want something. As for the main question, he has stated that any interest he may have had in the game has now gone because for him to enjoy an RPG he needs a story. why is that hard for you to understand. sts106mat

People from all ages play Pokemon. So if you don't play something that is good, you're missing out. The reason why he is saying that is because he is associating it with other RPGs, which he shouldn't. Because DS isn't about that, it has a different approach. He should understand that, not me.

from your point of view, i am missing out. from a BALLET DANCERS point of view, you're missing out on not taking ballet lessons. see?

Ballet dancing isn't my thing. RPGs are his. Stop fighting his own battles, you're basically being a lawyer of some random guy lurking in the depths of the Internet. You shouldn't care.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]LOL you all talked me out of even bothering with this game. An RPG without a story is just poop.AmazonTreeBoa

It have a story but it is very simple.....kill the demons and free the kingdom.it is the same with Diablo games......kill the demons.

No sorry, but Diablo games have a story.

the thing being that, dark souls has as much of a story as diablo. The thing that makes them so great, is that their primary focus is on the gameplay, but both games have a minimilistic plot. With the exception of the cutscenes (in both games), it leaves the player to find the story on their own. The best part of dark souls is that it leaves you to decide and interpret what happens in the game. By the decisions and small actions you make the 'story' will slightly change. What I also love about the game is not only does it make you work at survival, but it makes you search for a reason of why you exist in this dark world..

and as for diablo, I mainly stuck with smiter, orb sorc, javazon, and hammerdin builds in diablo 2. I've only played through the entire game once, and whenever I pick it up I typically speed run to either do baal farming runs, or uber trist.

anyways...here's what is written in wikipedia for those who don't want to figure the game out for themselves:

Like its predecessor Demon's Souls, Dark Souls has a notably minimalistic plot. Events and their significance are often implicit and left to player interpretation rather than fully shown or explained. Much of the story and lore of the world is given to the player through dialogue from characters within the world, item descriptions, or the scarcely few cutscenes. It is up to the player to put the pieces together.

In the founding of the universe, the earth was unformed, covered in crags, and dragons held sole dominion over the world. However, The Fire of Lords along with the human race eventually came into existence for reasons long lost to time. From the fire emerged four powerful entities who harnessed the Fire of Lords to combat the dragons, eventually overthrowing them and launching humanity and their new lordly gods into a golden era known as the Age of Fire.

The protagonist is a male or female Undead, who has yet to become Hollow. He/she escapes from the northern Undead Asylum with the help of another undead and learns of the prophecy concerning a chosen Undead who leaves the Undead Asylum in pilgrimage and rings the Bell of Awakening in the land of the gods, Lordran.

Once the character has rung the Bells of Awakening, the gate leading to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo is opened, and the Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt is awoken. He tells the player that he is the Chosen Undead that must succeed Lord Gwyn and remove the affliction of the Darksign. It is implied that Frampt is very old and has awaited the protagonist's arrival for a very long time. To achieve this given task, the character must get the Lordvessel from the land of Anor Londo. When the task is done, the character must obtain the four powerful Lord Souls from Seath the Scaleless, the Four Kings, the Bed of Chaos, and Gravelord Nito, and then offer them to the Lordvessel.

However, in the Abyss if the player has not placed the Lordvessel on the altar at that point then he/she can instead meet Darkstalker Kaathe, a different Primordial Serpent who opposes Frampt. After informing the player that he/she is a direct descendent of the pygmy, who obtained The Dark Soul, Kaathe will present the protagonist with a different path: to end the Age of Fire and "usher in the Age of Dark". Kaathe stated that Gwyn had wished to "avoid the course of nature" and prolonged the Age of Fire and in doing so branded undead with the Darksign which only caused suffering. The Age of Dark will erase this curse.

After offering the four Lord Souls to the Lordvessel, with the help of either Frampt or Kaathe, the character must go on to defeat Gwyn, the Lord of Cinder. Once the character has slain him, the player is given a vague choice which affects the ending. By choosing to link the fire, the character continues the Age of Fire and is consumed entirely by the fire as it burns intensely bright. The screen then goes white, before fading to dark as the credits roll. By choosing not to link the fire, the protagonist instead walks out of the area and is greeted by Primordial Serpents who bow down to the character, accepting him/her as the Dark Lord and the Age of Dark (Humans) begin.wikipedia

what also makes the game so awesome is comparing your version of the story to other players' versions. I debated on gamefaqs with many people on my meaning of demon's souls, but unfortunately I haven't had as much time to sink into dark souls.

http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5758

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

from your point of view, i am missing out. from a BALLET DANCERS point of view, you're missing out on not taking ballet lessons. see?

sts106mat

Who knows, maybe you're really missing out on ballet? You could never know until you try. I'm pretty sure most anyone here misses out on great games because of different prejudices.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
You collect weapons+armor, upgrade them, go pvp, pwn ppl and collect priceless hate mails. Plot.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]LOL you all talked me out of even bothering with this game. An RPG without a story is just poop.AtariKidX

It have a story but it is very simple.....kill the demons and free the kingdom.it is the same with Diablo games......kill the demons.

:s diablo story goes more indepth than that, it's actually about a war between heaven and hell to put it simply.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
In the founding of the universe, the earth was unformed, covered in crags, and dragons held sole dominion over the world. However, The Fire of Lords along with the human race eventually came into existence for reasons long lost to time. From the fire emerged four powerful entities who harnessed the Fire of Lords to combat the dragons, eventually overthrowing them and launching humanity and their new lordly gods into a golden era known as the Age of Fire. The protagonist is a male or female Undead, who has yet to become Hollow. He/she escapes from the northern Undead Asylum with the help of another undead and learns of the prophecy concerning a chosen Undead who leaves the Undead Asylum in pilgrimage and rings the Bell of Awakening in the land of the gods, Lordran. Once the character has rung the Bells of Awakening, the gate leading to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo is opened, and the Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt is awoken. He tells the player that he is the Chosen Undead that must succeed Lord Gwyn and remove the affliction of the Darksign. It is implied that Frampt is very old and has awaited the protagonist's arrival for a very long time. To achieve this given task, the character must get the Lordvessel from the land of Anor Londo. When the task is done, the character must obtain the four powerful Lord Souls from Seath the Scaleless, the Four Kings, the Bed of Chaos, and Gravelord Nito, and then offer them to the Lordvessel. However, in the Abyss if the player has not placed the Lordvessel on the altar at that point then he/she can instead meet Darkstalker Kaathe, a different Primordial Serpent who opposes Frampt. After informing the player that he/she is a direct descendent of the pygmy, who obtained The Dark Soul, Kaathe will present the protagonist with a different path: to end the Age of Fire and "usher in the Age of Dark". Kaathe stated that Gwyn had wished to "avoid the course of nature" and prolonged the Age of Fire and in doing so branded undead with the Darksign which only caused suffering. The Age of Dark will erase this curse. After offering the four Lord Souls to the Lordvessel, with the help of either Frampt or Kaathe, the character must go on to defeat Gwyn, the Lord of Cinder. Once the character has slain him, the player is given a vague choice which affects the ending. By choosing to link the fire, the character continues the Age of Fire and is consumed entirely by the fire as it burns intensely bright. The screen then goes white, before fading to dark as the credits roll. By choosing not to link the fire, the protagonist instead walks out of the area and is greeted by Primordial Serpents who bow down to the character, accepting him/her as the Dark Lord and the Age of Dark (Humans) begin.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Joedgabe

In the founding of the universe, the earth was unformed, covered in crags, and dragons held sole dominion over the world. However, The Fire of Lords along with the human race eventually came into existence for reasons long lost to time. From the fire emerged four powerful entities who harnessed the Fire of Lords to combat the dragons, eventually overthrowing them and launching humanity and their new lordly gods into a golden era known as the Age of Fire. The protagonist is a male or female Undead, who has yet to become Hollow. He/she escapes from the northern Undead Asylum with the help of another undead and learns of the prophecy concerning a chosen Undead who leaves the Undead Asylum in pilgrimage and rings the Bell of Awakening in the land of the gods, Lordran. Once the character has rung the Bells of Awakening, the gate leading to Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo is opened, and the Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt is awoken. He tells the player that he is the Chosen Undead that must succeed Lord Gwyn and remove the affliction of the Darksign. It is implied that Frampt is very old and has awaited the protagonist's arrival for a very long time. To achieve this given task, the character must get the Lordvessel from the land of Anor Londo. When the task is done, the character must obtain the four powerful Lord Souls from Seath the Scaleless, the Four Kings, the Bed of Chaos, and Gravelord Nito, and then offer them to the Lordvessel. However, in the Abyss if the player has not placed the Lordvessel on the altar at that point then he/she can instead meet Darkstalker Kaathe, a different Primordial Serpent who opposes Frampt. After informing the player that he/she is a direct descendent of the pygmy, who obtained The Dark Soul, Kaathe will present the protagonist with a different path: to end the Age of Fire and "usher in the Age of Dark". Kaathe stated that Gwyn had wished to "avoid the course of nature" and prolonged the Age of Fire and in doing so branded undead with the Darksign which only caused suffering. The Age of Dark will erase this curse. After offering the four Lord Souls to the Lordvessel, with the help of either Frampt or Kaathe, the character must go on to defeat Gwyn, the Lord of Cinder. Once the character has slain him, the player is given a vague choice which affects the ending. By choosing to link the fire, the character continues the Age of Fire and is consumed entirely by the fire as it burns intensely bright. The screen then goes white, before fading to dark as the credits roll. By choosing not to link the fire, the protagonist instead walks out of the area and is greeted by Primordial Serpents who bow down to the character, accepting him/her as the Dark Lord and the Age of Dark (Humans) begin.Heil68

That's the main story or surface of it w/o going into any details :P but spot on :cool: Too bad your comment will be ignored by the haters that only come to this thread to hate on the game. I feel like in every thread I post in SW I'm wasting my time especially when I try to give useful information that's asked for and not wanted.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Great gameplay doesn't need story: because in the end you're having FUN.

-isn't that the point?

As an aspiring game developer.I've learned that they're two major types of game development: top down that starts with a concept/theme and builds a gameplay mechanic to support it. And Bottom up: Which starts with gameplay and tailors a story around it. In order for bottom up design to work, it needs an exceptional gameplay mechanic, which Demon soul's pulls off remarkably.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Some-Mist

That's the main story or surface of it w/o going into any details :P but spot on :cool: Too bad your comment will be ignored by the haters that only come to this thread to hate on the game. I feel like in every thread I post in SW I'm wasting my time especially when I try to give useful information that's asked for and not wanted.

Joedgabe

just like how my post was just ignored 5 posts above his posting the exact same thing.. but that happens all the time.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

Some-Mist

just like how my post was just ignored 5 posts above his posting the exact same thing.. but that happens all the time.

meh, that's because they don't want anwers to their questions they want the opposite. Ignorance and try to use that as "proof" to base their troll on.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 GD1551

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

Some-Mist

My only issue with what you said is that diablo had a minimalistic plot, it really doesn't. Most people just choose to ignore it.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

GD1551

My only issue with what you said is that diablo had a minimalistic plot, it really doesn't. Most people just choose to ignore it.

just as most people choose to ignore the dark souls plot, granted you actually have to search for what diablo gives you up front.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] Your loss :lol: hahahah!LastRambo341
Somehow skipping an RPG with no story doesn't seem like a loss to me. It seems like money saved to spend on a different game. But you go ahead and keep on thinking it is a loss to me. :roll:

It has nó meaning to him because story DOES have meaning... we're not rats in a skinner box andthe industry is at a point where story is an element that should be considered... i agree with him. Like i said. When its 15 bucks i may give it a chance.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
THANK GOODNESS!! So tired of endless NPC yapping and text and ugh...shut up and let me play. It tell it's story with atmosphere and there's text you can read if you want but its not required to get the point of the game.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

:lol: At people who dismiss it because it doesn't have a story...i guess too many cutscenes ruined their ability to read, comprehend or even think, i mean Dark Souls has such and intriguing plot, is just that is not ON YOUR FACE press X for the next Scripted Event!!!

Dark Souls story is subtle but is there, if you want to ignore it, the game doesn't force you to understand it, which is fine, a lot of people is there for the atmosphere, the combat and the challenge, if you want to address the story the game gives you the opportunity to see it, is right there, you just need to search for it and draw your own conclusions.

Anyway TC, if you want to understand the story TC have in mind every single little detail, read the items description and as pointless as the intro might seem at first pay attention to it too also if you get to fight most of the bosses in the game, you will understand more about it.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

:lol: At people who dismiss it because it doesn't have a story...i guess too many cutscenes ruined their ability to read, comprehend or even think, i mean Dark Souls has such and intriguing plot, is just that is not ON YOUR FACE press X for the next Scripted Event!!!

Dark Souls story is subtle but is there, if you want to ignore it, the game doesn't force you to understand it, which is fine, a lot of people is there for the atmosphere, the combat and the challenge, if you want to address the story the game gives you the opportunity to see it, is right there, you just need to search for it and draw your own conclusions.

Anyway TC, if you want to understand the story TC have in mind every single little detail, read the items description and as pointless as the intro might seem at first pay attention to it too also if you get to fight most of the bosses in the game, you will understand more about it.

madsnakehhh

Telling a story is one thing, telling an ENGAGING story is another.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#86 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It actually does have a decent plot, but it doesn't kick in and get interesting until Anor Londo and when you meet Kingseeker Frampt.

Trust me, I don't want to spoil it, but after the whole "ring the bells" thing, you basically get picked as the chosen one and asked to help the Gods by seeking the Lordvessel.

Yeah its got a story, and its a lot like the stories of other RPG games, but its got some nice twists. If you start the game with the pendant and talk to the leader of the Darkwraiths, you get a nice little plot twist.

Its got a story, but its not in your face like a Metal Gear Solidor Final Fantasy game, you have to see out the plot and pay attention to the NPC's and the world.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 madsnakehhh

Telling a story is one thing, telling an ENGAGING story is another.

omenodebander

I'm agree...your point?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GD1551

just as most people choose to ignore the dark souls plot, granted you actually have to search for what diablo gives you up front.

Some-Mist

Well the difference is that dark souls plot is actually left up to the imagination, there's some stuff like that in diablo however the quests are voiced and the lore is given on everything the quest is about.

Then again I suppose that's the same for dark souls, so this is more of a "people are ignoring this"

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 madsnakehhh

It actually does have a decent plot, but it doesn't kick in and get interesting until Anor Londo and when you meet Kingseeker Frampt.

Trust me, I don't want to spoil it, but after the whole "ring the bells" thing, you basically get picked as the chosen one and asked to help the Gods by seeking the Lordvessel.

Yeah its got a story, and its a lot like the stories of other RPG games, but its got some nice twists. If you start the game with the pendant and talk to the leader of the Darkwraiths, you get a nice little plot twist.

Its got a story, but its not in your face like a Metal Gear Solidor Final Fantasy game, you have to see out the plot and pay attention to the NPC's and the world.

SPYDER0416

Completely agree, kind of reminds me of Metroid Prime, you could play the entire game without reading the lore, at the end you kill the bad guy, you saved the universe, you win, period...but reading the lore gives you a much more complete background on what happened there, man, it was so engaging.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#90 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

30 hours isn't a lot dude, I put 60+ hours into it, and didn't you watch the 1st cutscene? Because if you didn you would know who to kill...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#91 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Oil_rope_bombs"] Try out Demon's Souls, it's pretty cheap. (About $12) It'll get you ready for Dark Souls. musalala

More like a lot harder.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

madsnakehhh

Completely agree, kind of reminds me of Metroid Prime, you could play the entire game without reading the lore, at the end you kill the bad guy, you saved the universe, you win, period...but reading the lore gives you a much more complete background on what happened there, man, it was so engaging.

Exactly. If you take the time to listen to NPC's, talk and join up with guilds, and just pay attention to the enemies and world around you, you'll get a very complex mix of motivations and characters in a dark and unforgiving purgatory with a goal given by the Gods. Some of the little twists are harder to find, but there are great secrets and bits of plot to discover that make it a really engaging tale.

Its not as ever present as the story in Demon's Souls, but it is more unique.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Well i put over 30 hours of dark souls gameplay in a week (thats alot for me) and got my character to like level 70 something and had no idea what the story was or why i was even running from place to place doing things.

I would also like to not i traded in this game for Skyrim and im much happier now but that dosnt mean i dont want to know why i was running around hells half acer getting my ass handed to me even at level 70+.

hofuldig

the plot is that japanese developers hate you.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AmazonTreeBoa

-isn't that the point?

As an aspiring game developer.I've learned that they're two major types of game development: top down that starts with a concept/theme and builds a gameplay mechanic to support it. And Bottom up: Which starts with gameplay and tailors a story around it. In order for bottom up design to work, it needs an exceptional gameplay mechanic, which Demon soul's pulls off remarkably.

Blue-Sky
See that's the thing. No matter how fun YOU think it is. Without a story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. I play RPGs for the story and Character development. If I have no story and don't give a crap about the characters, I have no desire to continue on. Some people just don't demand as much from their games as I do. But it doesn't matter what I say to try to explain. You are still going to get dumbass people hating on you because you didn't have an interstatest in their favorite game.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

-isn't that the point?

AmazonTreeBoa
See that's the thing. No matter how fun YOU think it is. Without a story, I have nothing to motivate me to continue on. I play RPGs for the story and Character development. If I have no story and don't give a crap about the characters, I have no desire to continue on. Some people just don't demand as much from their games as I do. But it doesn't matter what I say to try to explain. You are still going to get dumbass people hating on you because you didn't have an interstatest in their favorite game.

sorry can't edit with my phone. I meant interest.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

-isn't that the point?

AmazonTreeBoa

Well it DOES have a story then, lucky for you story lovers. At least if you aren't the kind to sit back and watch an hour of cutscene to know the motivations and plot instead of digging in and playing and exploring to find that stuff out.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] Yeah minus the story, which is a huge blow to an RPG.AmazonTreeBoa

Diablo has story? :|

You asking that tells me you have never played any Diablo. Yes it has a story.

Diablo's story is terrible. Blizzard can't write for crap; minus parts of StarCraft 1 and a very tiny bit of WC3. Everything they make is generic and derrivative in terms of writing. Everything else from them is going in that direction too. Just look at the Demon Hunter trailer. And if you've played the Diablo 3 beta, you can experience even worse writing.
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

well even if there is a plot you need to put in so much work to find out what it is its not worth it. and when i said i was level 70+ let me tell you where i was. you know what big wolf with the massive sword? i tried to beat him like 40 times and couldent do it trying varying tactics. nothing worked. so i moved on and finally got to some sort of place with alot of lava that you can clear out but by then i was just like....you know what? forget this game. i cant even beat an early boss at level 70+ when my friend beat him on his 2nd try at like level 36.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Diablo has story? :|

Lethalhazard

You asking that tells me you have never played any Diablo. Yes it has a story.

Diablo's story is terrible. Blizzard can't write for crap; minus parts of StarCraft 1 and a very tiny bit of WC3. Everything they make is generic and derrivative in terms of writing. Everything else from them is going in that direction too. Just look at the Demon Hunter trailer. And if you've played the Diablo 3 beta, you can experience even worse writing.

Blizzard isn't the best at writing good stories, yeah, but does anyone actually play Blizzard games for their story?

Oh wait... ;)

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#100 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] You asking that tells me you have never played any Diablo. Yes it has a story.SPYDER0416

Blizzard isn't the best at writing good stories, yeah, but does anyone actually play Blizzard games for their story?

Oh wait... ;)

Lol :P I love their games (well I used to but I haven't liked anything recently) but they certainly aren't very good at making singleplayer experiences. They excel most at making multiplayer worlds for players to flesh out themselves rather than Blizzard themselves. I think everyone...or most everyone already realizes that :P.