What was the best Mario Kart game?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 6 months, 23 days ago

Poll: What was the best Mario Kart game? (72 votes)

Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992) 13%
Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1997) 18%
Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA, 2001) 0%
Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN, 2003) 25%
Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005) 22%
Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008) 10%
Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 2011) 13%

Mario Kart 8 is coming up, and the hype is slowly rising. Ahead of its launch though, let's look at this 22 year old franchise with seven games so far, and try to answer the age old question that has no one reply- what actually was the greatest Mario Kart game, then?

#1 Edited by Bigboi500 (29342 posts) -

Mario Kart DS was my favorite. Snaking is an art.

#2 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (742 posts) -

Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb once said that the best MK game is the first you play. I 100% agree with this theory.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb once said that the best MK game is the first you play. I 100% agree with this theory.

This wouldn't hold true in my case, as my favorite Mario Kart is Double Dash, which was not the first Mario Kart game that I played.

#4 Posted by superbuuman (2683 posts) -

SNES one was pretty good...but love Double Dash. :P

#5 Edited by Bigboi500 (29342 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

This wouldn't hold true in my case, as my favorite Mario Kart is Double Dash, which was not the first Mario Kart game that I played.

Nor for me, my first MK game was MK64 and not my favorite of the series.

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

Mario Kart 64 for sure, such a great game

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Nor for me, my first MK game was MK64 and not my favorite of the series.

Yes, I think objectively, it was hard not to be wowed by the absolute amazingness that were Double Dash and MKDS.

#8 Edited by Chutebox (36618 posts) -

Double dash! Have loved every one up until mk7. Game sucked

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (29510 posts) -

N64 + battles = classic

#10 Posted by m_machine024 (14865 posts) -

Double Dash was the one I've had the most fun with my cousins but man the SNES one is close behind and did not get old at all. Still awesome.

#11 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2770 posts) -

I can't pick between Mario Kart DS and Double Dash. Both are amazing. Then Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart Super Circuit and last Mario Kart Wii.

#12 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (527 posts) -

Mariokart DS the best imo.

#13 Posted by darkspineslayer (19547 posts) -

I seem to be the outlier here. I loved 7, Super Circuit and DS, enjoy SNES, DS and 64 Wii, and hate Double Dash.

The 2D ones don't get enough love. Super Circuit was Mario Kart on the go before it could be done fully, and felt like a way the series could have developed.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (23156 posts) -

for their times, probably the SNES and N64 games

#15 Edited by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

Mario kart Wii. Double dash is overrated btw.

#16 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

>Double Dash is winning in the poll

Damn, one of the rare occasions where SW isn't wrong.

#17 Posted by starwolf474 (552 posts) -

I haven't played the handheld ones, so I'm only commenting on the console ones.

My favorite part of Mario Kart is battle mode and Mario Kart 64 still has by far the best battle mode, so that is still my favorite. Nintendo found a way to screw up battle mode in both Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii. In Double Dash, battle mode sucked because of terrible courses and in Mario Kart Wii they ruined it by forcing everyone to be on teams. I really hope they don't screw up battle mode again in Mario Kart 8.

#18 Posted by nini200 (9604 posts) -

SNES. 64 was fun but the stats were jacked up big time.

I loved Super Circuit as well.

#19 Posted by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

Mario Kart Wii

#20 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

I guess 64. Just for memories. The last was Double Dash, ad well i found that one to be preety meh

#21 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

DS stands tall above the rest, anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

#22 Posted by Seabas989 (10106 posts) -

MK DS is the best.

MK 64 is my personal favorite. I also think it has the best soundtrack in the series.

#23 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

Dangnabbit, SW...

#24 Posted by inb4uall (5351 posts) -

Dangnabbit, SW...

Now SW has chosen correctly for once. DS is obviously the best in the series.

#25 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

Mario Kart DS. Worst is 64.

#26 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6752 posts) -

Mario Kart 64. Got at least 8+ years of enjoyment and good memories playing that game.

#27 Posted by mooooo99 (1243 posts) -

I can sort of agree with this.

although i did play the n64 and snes versions first, but double dash was the first one i sat down and invested any time in.. and it is still awesome!

#28 Edited by PonchoTaco (1976 posts) -

I had the most fun with Double Dash. DS in a close second.

#29 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

I first played 64 at a demo station and Double Dash at a cousin's house before I got the DS game, so no.

#30 Edited by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2079 posts) -

7 with Double Dash as a close second. I played them all as they come out so that Giant Bomb quote doesn't apply to me either.

#31 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Never liked the Mario Kart games, in fact the last Mario game I enjoyed was Super Mario 64

#32 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -

Really enjoyed both Double Dash and Wii. Wii wins for me due to more characters and tracks.

#33 Posted by Junsei (694 posts) -

I would say Mario kart 64, I play that game countless times at the boys & girls club back in the day but I have to go with double dash. its way too fun, 4 player madness and its also the first Mario kart game to have a actual tier list making the game unbalance and a bit broken at times (double bomb omb is way too good lol). I wish they go back to the double dash format because I really hated MK Wii.

#34 Posted by Bishop1310 (987 posts) -

resolution 2014 was sick bro.

#35 Edited by BilkeLegenda (1932 posts) -

Mario kart snes, and the GameCube one, think its double dash.

#36 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

Double Dash is back at the top.

Good going System Wars, you actually exhibit some taste for a change.

#37 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6986 posts) -

Mario Kart 64 is easily the one that I've devoted the most time to, but 7 is probably the best.

#38 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3474 posts) -

I will admit I haven't played all of them yet, but Wii is the best one I've played so far, followed by Double Dash. I will never understand the love for Super Mario Kart.

#39 Posted by osan0 (12627 posts) -

MKDS. nintendo got it sport on for the SP and local MP. sadly they overlooked snaking during testing so that kinda ruined online MP.

2nd is the snes. great tracks and sikly smooth. bit unbalanced though (the koopa trooper seemed to have the upper hand).

N64 is also quite good but loses the smoothness of the snes and DS version. still some excellent tracks though.

i have been dissapointed with the wii and 3DS versions.

i havent played the GBA version.

#40 Posted by mems_1224 (46545 posts) -

Yup, Super Mario Kart FTW!!

#41 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5310 posts) -

MKDD is my favorite. Haven't played MKDS.

People voting for SMK, MKSC and MK64 are mostly living on nostalgia.

#42 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10864 posts) -

Definitely Mario Kart 7 and I've played every one except the original SNES one. Loved the addition of underwater courses and gliding.

It's definitely not Double Dash or DS as they are both infected with snaking and the game goes from being a racer to being a "how well can you pull off getting mini-boosts multiple times in a row" and it's just like meh. Wasn't my thing.

#43 Posted by TwistedShade (3151 posts) -

I voted Double Dash because Mario Kart 7 just wasn't very good and I don't like Mario Kart Wii because bikes are unbalanced.

#44 Posted by CountBleck12 (22662 posts) -

I enjoyed both Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii, as for the others... 64 was good but the CPUs were very annoying.

#45 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

3) Super Mario Kart

2) Mario Kart 7

And my all time favourite:

1) Mario Kart Double Dash

wish they would make a Double Dash 2

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Same here, Super Mario Kart was the first one I played and DD the best one.

#46 Posted by drummer131 (3210 posts) -

The only MK games I have not played are the Wii and 3DS iterations. That said, MK64 is my least favorite, although it did have its moments. Double Dash is definitely my favorite, though, hands down.

MK8 looks as though it's going to steal that top spot from DD with no apology, however.

#47 Posted by yokofox33 (29364 posts) -

There's just something special about Mario Kart 64. Reminds me of my drunken college days.

#48 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: You like Mario Kart 7 more than DS? D:

#49 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11610 posts) -

Mario Kart DS

#50 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: You like Mario Kart 7 more than DS? D:

Yes, I really liked the DS version but it didn't stand out in any single way.

MK7 is just a lot of fun and especially the water and glider parts stand out. Also the 3D effect is amazing !