What games have a perfect harmony of gameplay and story telling?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#51 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"] You know you're my buddy Shake, but MGS3>>>>>MGS4 (just to upset you Peace Walker>>MGS4 :twisted: )

GreenGoblin2099

Ah it seems we are destined to always disagree about that (MGS4 is soooo much better :P ). But in the end it is our love for MGS as a series that will always keep us remaining friends :D

Can't argue the Peace Walker comment as I haven't played it unfortunately, but I refuse to believe that a mere handheld title could ever come near MGS4!

PW is the ****, man... if you say you love MGS but haven't played PW, then you're doing it wrong.

So wrong that you don't even deserve to play Vanquish anymore.

I'll get around to it some day! And bull s*** I don't deserve to play Vanquish anymore! I have been advertising that damn game around here so much that I should be legally entitled to pay checks from Sega!

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Master_ShakeXXX

Naaaaah. MGS4 >>>>> MGS3, which is saying a lot because MGS3 is still amazing. GOTY 2004 that one was.

Arach666

Nope,that would be World of Warcraft. ;)

I hear that WOW can actually eat people's souls if they're not careful. I would never condone such a game :?

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Braid. Amazing gameplay, music, art & an ending that leaves you thinking & interpreting the game for hours, even days to come..

[spoiler] Then after those few hours/days, you decide to go online & compare your thoughts to others & realise you haven't actually trully finished the game, which then drives you to jump back in & spend hours searching for stars (or in one case, waiting) & ultimately getting the true ending which clears much of the story up, while still remaining interesting & amazing. [/spoiler]

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#54 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Naaaaah. MGS4 >>>>> MGS3, which is saying a lot because MGS3 is still amazing. GOTY 2004 that one was.

Master_ShakeXXX

I hear that WOW can actually eat people's souls if they're not careful. I would never condone such a game :?

Itr´s Blizzard´s magic mate,once you get into their games you don´t want anything else. :P

That´s how good they are. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#55 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Ok, I'll play along but I want my cookies upfront, you hear?GreenGoblin2099
Fine :x

Then kindly grant us your wisdom on this matter. Cherokee_Jack
Gladly :D

My response is now in a later post by you, buddy :P

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#56 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

spoiler

Twin-Blade

Wow, I had no idea about that. Guess I'll be playing it a second time.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Ah it seems we are destined to always disagree about that (MGS4 is soooo much better :P ). But in the end it is our love for MGS as a series that will always keep us remaining friends :D

Can't argue the Peace Walker comment as I haven't played it unfortunately, but I refuse to believe that a mere handheld title could ever come near MGS4!

Master_ShakeXXX

PW is the ****, man... if you say you love MGS but haven't played PW, then you're doing it wrong.

I'll get around to it some day! And bull s*** I don't deserve to play Vanquish anymore! I have been advertising that damn game around here so much that I should be legally entitled to pay checks from Sega!

Sorry, man I don't make the rules... hand it over!! You can have it back once you come here truly saying PW is the ****.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Arach666

Itr´s Blizzard´s magic mate,once you get into their games you don´t want anything else. :P

I wont deny that. Both Diablo games sure came awfully close to devouring my life. I'm terrified of D3's release day :shock:

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

This guy. All of his games. They're my SP GOTG (Game of the generation.) I cannot pick which one I like best though. The story is grade A+, and the gameplay is surprisingly fun.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Cherokee_Jack

People using the real color scheme can still see that, dude. :P[spoiler] So from what I understand, Dormin was sealed away in a prison because he was supposed to be some kind of entity with world wrecking powers, and because he had gotten out of control. Now when this girl died (no idea who the girl was, by the way), Wander, in his desperation to bring her back to life, decided to make for the sparse and desolate Forbidden Land, where legend had it that there existed an entity that could revive the dead. He knew most likely that what he was doing was gonna do nothing but spell trouble, but he decided to do it anyway, because he wanted the girl back, no matter what the personal cost to himself.

Anyway, each colossus probably resembled one more seal on the gateway that kept Dormin sealed away. As Wander began to kill the Colossi, Dormin began to free himself and channel his powers through Wander (which explains what happened every time Wander killed a colossus).

Now this is where Lord Emon enters the picture- I don't really know how he knew, but somehow, he was on to Wander, he knew that Wander was going to revive Dormin, and he couldn't have that. He entered the Forbidden Land himself, and tried to stop Wander, but that didn't work out, it was too late. Wander was possessed by Dormin, but Emon ultimately managed to bring the entire situation under control, though Wander was lost in the conflict. FInally, even as Emon left the Forbidden Land, the girl was brought back to life, and in the pool, she found a horned kid who would go on to become the ancestor of ICO. [/spoiler] There. Now delete it from yours.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

GreenGoblin2099

Sorry, man I don't make the rules... hand it over!! You can have it back once you come here truly saying PW is the ****.

If I can't have it no one can!

*jumps off cliff with copy of Vanquish in hand*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

People using the real color scheme can still see that, dude. :P There. Now delete it from yours.

Cherokee_Jack

Thank you! I hate Glitchspot :x

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

I call dibs on his gif sig! :P

Since Vanquish was made by the same director as RE4...at least I think it was, and I freakin' love RE4...would I enjoy Vanquish? Thinking about renting it tomorrow. Can't buy it since I gotta buy Crysis 2, Homefront, and then The Witcher 2 CE.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Cherokee_Jack

Thanks, that clears it up.

Still a weird-ass story, though.

...AND HOW DID THE HORSE CLIMB UP THERE? :x

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

People using the real color scheme can still see that, dude. :P There. Now delete it from yours.

charizard1605

Meh!! What you said is not far from what I said... you just added fancy names that you probably made up. Hmph!!! :evil:

Since Vanquish was made by the same director as RE4...at least I think it was, and I freakin' love RE4...would I enjoy Vanquish? Thinking about renting it tomorrow. Can't buy it since I gotta buy Crysis 2, Homefront, and then The Witcher 2 CE.

ChubbyGuy40

Why rent it?? just fetchit off his rotten corpse down that cliff :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Arach666

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

charizard1605

Oh,and regarding that very final part of your huge,not so inconspicuous spoiler :P ... [spoiler] ...is he really an ancestor or Ico himself? Hmmm... [/spoiler]
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Master_ShakeXXX

ChubbyGuy40

Ok, I know that I'm supposed to be dead and it doesn't make much sense that I'm talking having just lept off a giant cliff but YES. It definitly needs to be experienced any way possible. It's not quite as good as RE4 but it's still a masterpiece. Shinji Mikami does no wrong when it comes to TPS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Thanks, that clears it up.

Still a weird-ass story, though.

...AND HOW DID THE HORSE CLIMB UP THERE? :x

Cherokee_Jack

Hey, how can you worry about the horse when we're dealing with stuff so epic as this? :P Yeah, it's pretty weird. It's amongst my favorite video game stories, almost right up there with Majora's Mask, at the very least (oh God, I could write a thesis on the undertones and hidden subliminal messages in Majora's Mask's narrative).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Arach666

Oh,and regarding that very final part of your huge,not so inconspicuous spoiler :P ... SPOILERIFIC QUESTION

He's the ancestor. It's kind of obvious, seeing as how the land was populated in ICO, even though it's desolate in SotC, and also seeing as how ICO talks about 'a horned boy once every generation.' Definitely an ancestor.

Also, hey, don't blame me, Glitchspot hates me :cry:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

GreenGoblin2099

Meh!! What you said is not far from what I said... you just added fancy names that you probably made up. Hmph!!! :evil:

No. What you said made no sense :| :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Arach666

charizard1605

Yeah...I don´t remember ICO that well tbh,Only finished it once and it was when it came out,game wasn´t mine so I never played it again since.... :(

Still have SotC though,with that nice special cardboard box with the nice postcards. :P

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Final Fantasy X.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Arach666

Yeah...I don´t remember ICO that well tbh,Only finished it once and it was when it came out,game wasn´t mine so I never played it again since.... :(

Still have SotC though,with that nice special cardboard box with the nice postcards. :P

Yeah, it's no big loss actually. ICO was a bit too overrated. SotC, a game I personally hate thanks to the broken controls and the stupid camera, I can still appreciate, mainly because the story is so surreal. ICO didn't even have that going for it.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]Heavy Rain, haters gonna hatejasonharris48

Not even close btw interactive movies for been around since the 90's (it's the least popular of the Adventure genre). There so many games that do a better job in regards to story telling compared to Heavy rain (not to mention far better writing)

haters gonna hate
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]Heavy Rain, haters gonna hateNot-A-Stalker

Not even close btw interactive movies for been around since the 90's (it's the least popular of the Adventure genre). There so many games that do a better job in regards to story telling compared to Heavy rain (not to mention far better writing)

haters gonna hate

Hate on what? I never said I didn't like the game I do own it. I'm just stated there are other games that did a far better job.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Arach666

I agree. I've been playing StarCraft 1 and Diablo 2 since middle school (I'm a sophomore in college now)

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Arach666

Final Fantasy X.

no_more_fayth

Well,to be fair the gameplay part consists of you walking around pressing x to talk and open chests and the battle it´s just menus. :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

charizard1605

Yeah, it's no big loss actually. ICO was a bit too overrated. SotC, a game I personally hate thanks to the broken controls and the stupid camera, I can still appreciate, mainly because the story is so surreal. ICO didn't even have that going for it.

I enjoyed it very much,though I agree it was a tad overrated,as far as SotC goes,once I got used to the controls I actually liked them,the camera was a problem sometimes though...
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

Final Fantasy X.

Arach666

Well,to be fair the gameplay part consists of you walking around pressing x to talk and open chests and the battle it´s just menus. :P

And the story is perfect. :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44686 Posts
Persona 3 & 4 were so balanced as far as gameplay and story went, I really liked them. I'm not to big on JRPGs but I really loved these games.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Cherokee_Jack
Persona 3 & 4 were so balanced as far as gameplay and story went, I really liked them. I'm not to big on JRPGs but I really loved these games.lamprey263
In P4 the gameplay part and the story part take place in entirely different worlds, though. :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Arach666

I enjoyed it very much,though I agree it was a tad overrated,as far as SotC goes,once I got used to the controls I actually liked them,the camera was a problem sometimes though...

I never got the love for Ico :?

Shadow of the Colossus was a beautiful story and a great concept in game design packaged in a very mediocre execution of said design. I never could get used to the camera, and had to force myself to finish the game, every time I played it. And the camera... *shudders* and people criticize Epic Mickey for having a poor camera...

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Hmmm, the games that stand out to me are.... Shadow of the Colossus  Uncharted 2
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Not-A-Stalker

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Not even close btw interactive movies for been around since the 90's (it's the least popular of the Adventure genre). There so many games that do a better job in regards to story telling compared to Heavy rain (not to mention far better writing)

jasonharris48

haters gonna hate

Hate on what? I never said I didn't like the game I do own it. I'm just stated there are other games that did a far better job.

I'm aware with people gripes with Heavy Rain, but I don't care. I still loved it to bits. Thus, u hatin' bro. Why u gotta hate.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

jasonharris48

I agree. I've been playing StarCraft 1 and Diablo 2 since middle school (I'm a sophomore in college now)

Me too man,even with SC2 out I still sometimes play a few Brood War matches. ;)
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Itr´s Blizzard´s magic mate,once you get into their games you don´t want anything else. :P

Arach666

Have Brood War in my PC disc tray actually, I like to pretend it's actually SCII.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Master_ShakeXXX

Hmmm, the games that stand out to me are.... Shadow of the Colossus  Ibacai

Everytime I see a screenshot or video of that game I'm blown away :shock:

I can't believe that's a PS2 game. I am soooo buying the collection.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]]Master_ShakeXXX

I can't believe that's a PS2 game. I am soooo buying the collection.

*Gives high five*

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Lots of game for me: Uncharted, Demon's Souls, MGS, FFX and many others.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Arach666

I never got the love for Ico :?

Shadow of the Colossus was a beautiful story and a great concept in game design packaged in a very mediocre execution of said design. I never could get used to the camera, and had to force myself to finish the game, every time I played it. And the camera... *shudders* and people criticize Epic Mickey for having a poor camera...

charizard1605

For me,what I enjoyed the most about ICO was the relationship between the two characters,I found it very interesting the way it developed,that simple hand holding mechaning as well,not necesarily gameplay wise but what it meant to them,

I also remember that my wife(gf at that time)was with me during most of that weekend and watched me play through almost the entire game,and at the end of that poignant end cutscene,she was actually almost crying,wich is something that I don´t recall her doing when watching movies or shows,at all...so I guess the game in some ways is something special,one just has to look. ;)

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#91 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#92 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

haters gonna hateNot-A-Stalker
gators gonna gate

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] I agree. I've been playing StarCraft 1 and Diablo 2 since middle school (I'm a sophomore in college now)

GreenGoblin2099

Have Brood War in my PC disc tray actually, I like to pretend it's actually SCII.

I lol´d man,I seriously did. :lol:

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Not-A-Stalker

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"] haters gonna hateBigboi500

gators gonna gate

That hurts. I have an uncle, you know
hashimgillani1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#95 hashimgillani1
Member since 2004 • 1495 Posts

MGS4, MGS3, Devil May Cry 3, couple FF, Kingdom hearts, Mass Effect 2 (not one, hated one), Halo Reach (believe or not excellent story), Uncharted 2, ill even add Dead Space (still playin 2, but 1 had a sick story with a mind blowing twisted at the end).

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Hmmm, the games that stand out to me are.... Shadow of the Colossus

I can't believe that's a PS2 game. I am soooo buying the collection.Master_ShakeXXX

And the collection will look even better.8)

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#97 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Metroid Prime nailed exactly how a video game story should be told. You are in control all the time including whether or not you wish to know the back story to anything.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Cherokee_Jack

Metroid Prime nailed exactly how a video game story should be told. You are in control all the time including whether or not you wish to know the back story to anything.

Pikminmaniac

True, they even incorporated exposition into a gameplay mechanic (scanning).

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

Chrono Trigger. Playing the DS version right now... that game is so good. The gameplay makes me really care about the characters throughout the story, and the way you slowly level-up and gain new abilities really adds to the feeling of attachment. Plus, the story is just really good on its own.

Also - and I never thought this until recently - Zelda: Majora's Mask. It's not so much the plot itself that's impressive, but how all the characters interact with each other over the 3-day cycle, and how you learn how the world works as you repeat 3-day cycles over and over again. It's really subtle and intricate in ways I never appreciated before. Not to mention unique.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#100 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Warcraft 3.