What Exactly Is A 360 Gold Member Paying For?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

I am a Gold member but I ask because what does the PSN have? Has any made a comparison?

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

*psn is like xboxlivegold but its better and its free...*

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heroldp813

psn is like xboxlivegold but its better and its free...

_SWAG_

Made me laugh.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
You're paying for something you got no idea is what?
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
You are paying to see more ads on your Dashboard.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
The right to play content that you already payed for.
Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heroldp813

You're paying for something you got no idea is what?MonsieurX

Not exactly buddy. I dont have a PS3 and all I know about itis that PS3 doesnt have party chat and hasalot of updates.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Your 360 Gold membership pays for microsoft executive starbucks coffee breaks...your money's being put to good use, you should be proud.

Also:

PSN has an exclusvie feature in the PS Home interactive social space.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

You are paying to provide the bandwidth to allow the games' online modes to run.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]You're paying for something you got no idea is what?Heroldp813

Not exactly buddy. I dont have a PS3 and all I know about itis that PS3 doesnt have party chat and hasalot of updates.

The thread title implies you don't know about gold.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 casharmy

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]You're paying for something you got no idea is what?Heroldp813

PS Home

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17434 Posts
You do realize that posting this question here will just attract PS3 fanboys right?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Oh great another one of these threads.
The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
You're paying for Facebook and twitter.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

1. Go on the Xbox website.

2. Click Xbox Live or something of the sort

3. Compare Silver and Gold

NOT HARD

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/JoinLIVE/Home

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

[QUOTE="Heroldp813"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]You're paying for something you got no idea is what?casharmy

PS Home

lol are you seriously bringing up the embarrassment that is ps home?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 navyguy21

from my blog (yes again, i hate these threads)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Ive seen this asked over and over on this site, so since i own both, i decided to list a few. But to fully understand, you have to experience it for yourself. So take this list, find a friend with a 360, and see for yourself.

1- cross game chat -this is more than it sounds. not only can you chat accross different games, but you can seamlessly create a party while in game, and switch from friends only chat, to chatting with people online, all without leaving the game

2- Custom soundtracks- this is the most misunderstood by fanboys. This feature is built into every game, and is built on the LIVE software that MS created. Meaning when i play a custom soundtrack on 360 (whether its from the hard drive, pc, or MP3 player) the game music, and ONLY the game music, stops playing. This doesnt happen with PS3. On 360, it only plays the sound effects and ambient sounds in the game, allowing me to hear my song. PS3 just plays the music (only dev supported) over my game sound.

3-In game access to everything- this is another misunderstood feature. With 360, if im playing a game, and i want to.....say play netflix. i dont have to go to the dashboard first, all i do is press the guide button, and click netflix. It stops my game and immediately plays. Or if im playing........say mass effect, and i wanna play Jade Empire that i downloaded. Same thing, just press the guide, and scroll to downloaded games. Its is nowhere NEAR as easy on PS3

4- Trueskill Ranking system- I cant count how many times i was playing warhawk when i first got it, and got beat like a runaway slave until i got the hang of it. Imagine going to the gym to play basketball, and everyday you had to play against Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq!! Trueskill tracks your accomplishments ingame, and matches you with people on your level, making sure every experience is fair, and fun.

5 Intergration- Kinda speaks for itself. Basically my friends list follows me through every game. im even notified if a friend is playing the same game as me, and allows me to join the right then, no lobbies, menus, or anything. I can also check my achievements, friends achievements, and the profiles of the last 40 people ive played online at anytime, whether im watching a movie, netflix, playing a game, or whatever.

6-Cross game invites- no matter what im doing, i can invite a player to my game with the press of a button. No need to type a message like on PS3. I can also record voice messages to send to anyone ingame.

7-Server based system- the myth going on is that LIVE doesnt have dedicated servers. While this is mostly true, what people fail to realize is that EVERYTHING Live related IS kept on servers, servers that MS maintains. My friends lists, achievements (even my achievement progress), games played, and even my LOCATION or MODE in the game is tracked and displayed to my friends. Meaning i can check my friends profile (ingame if i choose) and see what area hes cruising in GTA iv, or the score in madden or NFL nk9, or the mode, map, and score in Halo 3.

There are many more, but like i said, go experience it for yourself.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#19 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Your 360 Gold membership pays for microsoft executive starbucks coffee breaks...your money's being put to good use, you should be proud.

Also:

casharmy

I'd pay $50 a year not to have PS Home. :P

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heroldp813

[QUOTE="Heroldp813"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]You're paying for something you got no idea is what?casharmy

PS Home

Thats pretty neat. Do people reallyuse it?

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heroldp813

You do realize that posting this question here will just attract PS3 fanboys right?navyguy21

Im fully aware of the fanboy ramifacations of this thread. 8)

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Stuff that should be free, is free on other consoles
Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heroldp813

• Ive seen this asked over and over on this site, so since i own both, i decided to list a few. But to fully understand, you have to experience it for yourself. So take this list, find a friend with a 360, and see for yourself.

1- cross game chat -this is more than it sounds. not only can you chat accross different games, but you can seamlessly create a party while in game, and switch from friends only chat, to chatting with people online, all without leaving the game

2- Custom soundtracks- this is the most misunderstood by fanboys. This feature is built into every game, and is built on the LIVE software that MS created. Meaning when i play a custom soundtrack on 360 (whether its from the hard drive, pc, or MP3 player) the game music, and ONLY the game music, stops playing. This doesnt happen with PS3. On 360, it only plays the sound effects and ambient sounds in the game, allowing me to hear my song. PS3 just plays the music (only dev supported) over my game sound.

3-In game access to everything- this is another misunderstood feature. With 360, if im playing a game, and i want to.....say play netflix. i dont have to go to the dashboard first, all i do is press the guide button, and click netflix. It stops my game and immediately plays. Or if im playing........say mass effect, and i wanna play Jade Empire that i downloaded. Same thing, just press the guide, and scroll to downloaded games. Its is nowhere NEAR as easy on PS3

4- Trueskill Ranking system- I cant count how many times i was playing warhawk when i first got it, and got beat like a runaway slave until i got the hang of it. Imagine going to the gym to play basketball, and everyday you had to play against Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq!! Trueskill tracks your accomplishments ingame, and matches you with people on your level, making sure every experience is fair, and fun.

5 Intergration- Kinda speaks for itself. Basically my friends list follows me through every game. im even notified if a friend is playing the same game as me, and allows me to join the right then, no lobbies, menus, or anything. I can also check my achievements, friends achievements, and the profiles of the last 40 people ive played online at anytime, whether im watching a movie, netflix, playing a game, or whatever.

6-Cross game invites- no matter what im doing, i can invite a player to my game with the press of a button. No need to type a message like on PS3. I can also record voice messages to send to anyone ingame.

7-Server based system- the myth going on is that LIVE doesnt have dedicated servers. While this is mostly true, what people fail to realize is that EVERYTHING Live related IS kept on servers, servers that MS maintains. My friends lists, achievements (even my achievement progress), games played, and even my LOCATION or MODE in the game is tracked and displayed to my friends. Meaning i can check my friends profile (ingame if i choose) and see what area hes cruising in GTA iv, or the score in madden or NFL nk9, or the mode, map, and score in Halo 3.

navyguy21

The post I was looking for when I made this thread, thank you. I had no idea PS3 was missing this stuff and I was shocked to learn a few things I didnt knowabout my Gold membership.

Avatar image for FoolwithaLancer
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoolwithaLancer
Member since 2011 • 2020 Posts

Also:

casharmy

Well that's great, love to know my money is brightening up peoples days with a nice cup a' joe. :3

FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FoolwithaLancer

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="Heroldp813"]

KarateeeChop

PS Home

It's pretty nice, It's a cool feature that I use with my friends. :3

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
You're paying for stuff most gamers get free. XBL is a rip-off that gives very little incentive to pay 60$ for.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 casharmy

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="Heroldp813"]

KarateeeChop

PS Home

it's an enbarrassment because it's a feature that xbox360 doesn't have?

You don't even have a PS3 what would you konw of it? I think paying 60 dollars a year to play games online is an embarrassment, there's no need to knock something simply because there's nothing on your prefered console that canconunter it.

lemmings make a big deal about cross game chat and that is just a voice feature, Home is an entire virtual world voice features included, mini games and all and it's free.

What's embarrising is that XBL is 60 a year and the service doesn't have anything else to show for itself other than playing games online and talking to people in games that you are not playing.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Also:

brickdoctor

I'd pay $50 a year not to have PS Home. :P

:lol: I'm sorry but that was just too funny lol
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Heroldp813

The post I was looking for when I made this thread, thank you. I had no idea PS3 was missing this stuff and I was shocked to learn a few things I didnt knowabout my Gold membership.

the ps3 can do some of that stuff but i dont feel like bothering

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 navyguy21

coltgames

I know it can, but it isnt as seamless, as user friendly, and as effective as it is on live. For instance, you can view certain things while in game, but it is severly laggy. Or i can view games that friends are playing, but not any more details about it. And i cant just pop in a game and join a game in progress like on 360

coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

[QUOTE="coltgames"]

navyguy21

I know it can, but it isnt as seamless, as user friendly, and as effective as it is on live. For instance, you can view certain things while in game, but it is severly laggy. Or i can view games that friends are playing, but not any more details about it. And i cant just pop in a game and join a game in progress like on 360

yea your right live is really fast and seamless/intergrated well, when u try to invite or read messages. Sometimes i catch myself yelling at the ps3 in game xmb , the icons takes so long to pop up sometimes
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

If your asking what you get for your money..... its nothing. One would be the party chat feature, but you get those on the PC for free, and soon the Vita. If the PS3 was not limited by its hardware you would have probably seen it on the PS3 for free as well.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

You're paying for all of those quality advertisements on the dash board.

FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FoolwithaLancer

You're paying for all of those quality advertisements on the dash board.

theuncharted34

They are pretty nice. :3

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

Uhh...online?

And security, I guess.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

One thing I dislike about GOLD is it's required if you want to use Netlfix when every other system allows you to use it without a subscription.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 navyguy21

One thing I dislike about GOLD is it's required if you want to use Netlfix when every other system allows you to use it without a subscription.

Lionheart08
Yea, i think thats stupid, along with the requirement for hulu
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GTSaiyanjin2

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

navyguy21

Its to add value, so it seems like your actually paying for something with your subscription. If the only difference between Gold, and Silver was only being able to game online there probably a lot less gold members.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

1. Go on the Xbox website.

2. Click Xbox Live or something of the sort

3. Compare Silver and Gold

NOT HARD

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/JoinLIVE/Home

Silverbond

yaa there's more than that, like the 99.9% other services, most of the stuff is behind scenes. like servers, mods, security, testing and more. but I am sure 100's of people would gladly work for free

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

GTSaiyanjin2

Its to add value, so it seems like your actually paying for something with your subscription. If the only difference between Gold, and Silver was only being able to game online there probably a lot less gold members.

There is a lot more to live than that though. I pay for live because i see value in it, and thats outside of Netflix and Hulu. And yes i have a PS3.

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

What are Xbox 360 gamers paying for? World class security, accounts and credit card numbers ultimately secured and no worries being hacked, which is common on the PSN network as history proves (sees the recent news when PSN was down due to hacking for over 3 months).

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
The right to play content that you already payed for. Heil68
I say this is the right answer.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GTSaiyanjin2

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] Yea, i think thats stupid, along with the requirement for hulunavyguy21

There is a lot more to live than that though. I pay for live because i see value in it, and thats outside of Netflix and Hulu. And yes i have a PS3.

Well I can agree with that too, for ex most of my friends are on live. I would rather game with them, than play some random person on the PC, even though I prefer the PC over the consoles. If it was not that one reason I doubt I be paying for live.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
You're basically paying because Microsoft thinks their customers are chumps and they know they can make millions upon millions off of you guys for pretty much nothing. You could argue that XBL is better all you want, but that doesn't mean they should be charging for it.(Especially when the dashboard is COVERED in ads that they're making money from)
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
I don't know how anyone hasnt mentioned this, but: When you have gold you also get deals on games, "Deals of The Week". While mostly I find it useless, people still save alot of money by getting the deals. Just like the PSN+, you basically "pay" for discounts. Not really a huge bonus, but if you were to buy even 4-5 games that were onsale, it would save you alot. Gears of war 1 and 2 are on sale for $14.99(each) right now(canadian)
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts

What are Xbox 360 gamers paying for? World class security, accounts and credit card numbers ultimately secured and no worries being hacked, which is common on the PSN network as history proves (sees the recent news when PSN was down due to hacking for over 3 months).

Click_Clock
As long as this stands true(meaning Xboxlive doesnt get hacked and shut down) I would agree. I think it is pathetic to have to "pay to play" online, however I can honestly say the stablity/userbase#s on xbox live for me have been excellent, even with poor internet/old games.