What does SW think of Lightning Returns?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I haven't played this game and I'm not sure that I want to (the whole time limit business sounds awful as does the story), but I'm interested to know what you guys think. Was it as mediocre as the reviews indicate or do you think it was underrated?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I haven't played it, didn't buy it when it was $25. Btw final fantasy is my favorite gaming franchise so that's speak volume on how uninteresting the game was to me.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Dunno, tried the demo, the battle system is fun at least. I'm not picking it up until it hits $20~$25

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I thought it was good.Also the time limit thing while dumb is very very easy to manage.Put it this way I was able to do all the main quest and a chunk of sidequest with about 6 days left to do whatever els.Just gatta be sure to have ep(which is easy to gather) and use chronostasis alot.I also enjoyed the battle system alot.To be honest if you never cared for the other games I dont think this will change your mind.I also thought it closed out the 13 era nicely and that was one of my worries since FF13 had closure but then they blew that up with 13-2.If your really on the fence theres a demo and you could always wait for a price drop/sale.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I liked it. The ending was pretty great. I didn't really like the whole time limit thing, but it's different and not really that bad.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Gameplay: ok

Everything else: awful

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They should have stopped at FFXIII. Two sequels was two too many with this bunch of dullards. Move on.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Total crap.

An absolute embarrassment to SE as a company and FF as a franchise.They should be ashamed for making this pos.

Shame on you SE.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreySeal9

@ShepardCommandr said:

Total crap.

An absolute embarrassment to SE as a company and FF as a franchise.They should be ashamed for making this pos.

Shame on you SE.

So what did you think was so bad about it?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Haven't picked it up yet, but I need to eventually, on the cheap. The combat system looks fun.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Until they go back to their older style, or make another last remnant type game then I will not play anything they make...

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I played a couple hours of it but couldn't motivate myself to keep going. The gameplay is alright but it feels really weird to only be controlling one character in a FF game. The story is really awful unfortunately.

I really wouldn't recommend playing it Grey, unless you're a completionist.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GreySeal9

@chessmaster1989 said:

I played a couple hours of it but couldn't motivate myself to keep going. The gameplay is alright but it feels really weird to only be controlling one character in a FF game. The story is really awful unfortunately.

I'm not really a fan of the whole one character thing either. Parties is one of the reasons I play these games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Worst game ever. Worse than Super Man 64 and ET.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chessmaster1989
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I'm not really a fan of the whole one character thing either. Parties is one of the reason I play these games.

Agreed. I think the game ends up somewhere slightly weirdly in between an action rpg and a FF-13 style combat and it doesn't really work as well as either. Plus the dresspheres aren't as cool as they were in X-2.

Oh but as far as underrated games go I definitely recommend Drakengard 3. There is so much wrong with this game but it is still awesome.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

At its best, the battle system is pure awesome. Some fights are just edge of seat moments. Random battles are pretty dour though, the battle system doesn't work that well there and can get kinda annoying fighting some monsters. Have some great memories of it, even though I haven't finished it. I'd get back to it, but I'm so out of touch with the battle system that it would take me a while to get used to it again. I had a video fighting an earth eater, which was a great tough fight at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqOG1BIf0EA

Story on the other hand, I never gave a damn about. Part of it is being connected to FFXIII and how the characters just don't carry over well. The other problem being some just seem to act too high and mighty really. Some side-quests are totally boring and annoying, while some remind me of old style quirky and at times touching side-quests. Like I said, I haven't finished it though.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I'm not really a fan of the whole one character thing either. Parties is one of the reason I play these games.

Agreed. I think the game ends up somewhere slightly weirdly in between an action rpg and a FF-13 style combat and it doesn't really work as well as either. Plus the dresspheres aren't as cool as they were in X-2.

Oh but as far as underrated games go I definitely recommend Drakengard 3. There is so much wrong with this game but it is still awesome.

I'm actually somewhat interested in Drakengard 3. It looks all kinds of janky but from what I've seen, there is something strangely compelling about its atmosphere.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Abomination against gaming.

Also, inb4princessgomez

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I couldnt get more than a couple of hours into ff13-2, so I cant imagine how bad 3 must be.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 good_sk8er7

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Just beat Drakengard 3 the other day. I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever recommend it to anyone. I was astonished that they could follow up an amazing game like Nier with a turd like Drakengard 3. It's only redeeming quality is fun combat, but that doesn't really take long to get old either.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

Gosh I can't wait until the Lightning story arc is over. Just end it and move on please.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chessmaster1989
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I'm actually somewhat interested in Drakengard 3. It looks all kinds of janky but from what I've seen, there is something strangely compelling about its atmosphere.

Yup, it's janky in a lot of ways - graphics are really dated, there are framerate issues, lots of recycled bosses/mini-bosses, and some parts (especially dragon combat) can be just frustrating. But the gameplay is actually generally pretty fun, atmosphere is good, and the story is cool in a really bizarre way.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Horrible game

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

garbage

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

I think all current FF games suck donkey balls.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Haven't played it but after playing and fully completing everything in FF13 im pretty much done with FF for life like im done with CoD forever.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

a pile of worthless shit.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

So, ignoring the mass amount of posts that have not played the game, here's the opinion from someone who has the game and platinum'd it.

(1) The combat is amazing, quite literally one of the most fun battle systems ever made. You can ignore the story, sidequests and everything about the game, and you will still want to play it because of the combat system.

(2) Lots of sidequests, a lot of them hidden and hard to find. Use a wiki if you want to get extra stats and goodies.

(3) The story is okay. You'll enjoy Lightning's sarcasm and wit when she shows it, and try to figure out wtf Lumina is.

(4) The timer is nothing to be afraid of. You get an ability to freeze the clock and can even spam it. Assuming you were to run out of time and game over, the game actually lets you start up a sort of "NG+", where you keep your stat upgrades, money, abilities, garbs and accessories that you had in your previous playthrough.

(5) In conclusion, even if you don't like Lightning or the XIII trilogy, you'll still have fun with the combat system, setting up garbs and learning how to kill EVERYTHING in seconds flat.

I'd give it a 7.6/10.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it sucks dude, this and Castlevania 2 are the games i regret getting day 1

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94

@chessmaster1989 said:

I didint find the story all that awful.I liked how everything wraped up.Again though if you never gave a dam about the characters or the world itself then yea its kinda hard to give a dam.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chessmaster1989
@finalfantasy94 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I didint find the story all that awful.I liked how everything wraped up.Again though if you never gave a dam about the characters or the world itself then yea its kinda hard to give a dam.

I actually quite enjoyed XIII, sure it had problems but it was fun and had some good characters. XIII-2 had good combat but killed a lot of my interest in the story. So maybe I didn't give LR enough of a chance, but what I saw I really got a bad impression.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Yup, it's janky in a lot of ways - graphics are really dated, there are framerate issues, lots of recycled bosses/mini-bosses, and some parts (especially dragon combat) can be just frustrating. But the gameplay is actually generally pretty fun, atmosphere is good, and the story is cool in a really bizarre way.

This. Drakengard 3 is actually a pretty damn enjoyable game. Strong storyline (with some pretty damn incredible translation work) and fun characters, good combat (I actually really liked the dragon segments), art design is great, as is the music.

As for Lightning Returns... I enjoyed playing it for review. Combat was good, music was good, graphics were okay, story was okay (the sidequests were generally well-written), the open world design feels great, and the time limit is actually pretty easy to manage. It's flawed, but I thought it was a great game overall.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Just beat Drakengard 3 the other day. I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever recommend it to anyone. I was astonished that they could follow up an amazing game like Nier with a turd like Drakengard 3. It's only redeeming quality is fun combat, but that doesn't really take long to get old either.

I guess if you ignore the characters, writing, music, art design, and a host of other things, then yeah, the combat is the only good thing about the game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By finalfantasy94

@DarkLink77 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

This. Drakengard 3 is actually a pretty damn enjoyable game. Strong storyline (with some pretty damn incredible translation work) and fun characters, good combat (I actually really liked the dragon segments), art design is great, as is the music.

As for Lightning Returns... I enjoyed playing it for review. Combat was good, music was good, graphics were okay, story was okay (the sidequests were generally well-written), the open world design feels great, and the time limit is actually pretty easy to manage. It's flawed, but I thought it was a great game overall.

Im so excited to paly the game.Iv been reading the book that came with the LE first before I jump in.I enjoyed 1&2 so yea cant wait.Going by the book so far there only seems to be one boring character though I hope the game changes that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I want to play it still, I enjoyed the first two FFXIII games, I imagine I'll enjoy this.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Makes me want to eat out her armpits.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Its the worst entry to Final Fantasy to date wait until it hits bargain bin status.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 good_sk8er7

@DarkLink77 said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I guess if you ignore the characters, writing, music, art design, and a host of other things, then yeah, the combat is the only good thing about the game.

Oh yeah the music is excellent. I don't understand how anyone could like any of the characters in the game at all. I mean to each his own, but.. I pretty much hated the game.