What do you want and expect of Zelda U?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#51 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@senses_fail_06 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

How is SS not functional? The controls were fine. Everyone plays the game wrong as I see.

And why did you lol at me? >:(

Lol. I remember hearing this excuse in the 90s. Still funny.

It's true.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

From what I have read, A Link Between Worlds is the most "open-world" Zelda since the original. I want Nintendo to continue that with Zelda U. I do not want a Fi type of character; give me a good sense of freedom and exploration. Also, I feel like Nintendo upped its presentation in Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D World. I want to see Nintendo do the same with Zelda. It does not have to be too flashy, but some natural progression into HD needs some flare. The E3 Zelda tech demo seems to contain what I am talking about.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The last Zelda game I played was Majora's Mask...................

I'll just let myself out.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

i want a deeper combat mechanics. something similar to dark souls

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Something akin to majoras mask or that E3 demo with ALBW game style. That game is so accessible and great it's not even funny/

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I'm sorry, but are they really calling it Zelda U? I mean I get it, it's on the Wii U but still....Anyway, I'm hoping for a fantastic story and tons of replay value, like OOT

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@voljin1987 said:

@bbkkristian said:

What I want:

Graphics: Fine with either art style or realistic

Sound: still waiting for Koji Kondo to team up with Nobuo Uematsu

-Epona, she must return.

-Twilight Princess combat

-8 dungeons

-Meaningful sidequests

-night/day cycle

-musical instrument

-pictobox, I want to take selfies like WWR

-Zoras must return, with an awesome domain to enjoy

-time travel return?

-huge overworld, give Xenoblade a run for its money.

-fake open world: vast amount of land to explore, but in reality you have one place to go

-lots of secrets

-fairy fountains

-magic meter

-elemental arrows

Did I miss anything?

Yes.. u missed "REMOVE THE F***KING FAIRY.. I dont want someone yelling listen over and over"

Also for ONCE make me play as Ganon instead of Link.

HEY! LISTEN!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Gue1 said:

I'm expecting this:

^ Same...if they turn to Toon Link style like WindWaker ..I won't be touching it. :P

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Super Mario Galaxy of Zelda's. Something mindblowing, groundbreaking and back-to-basics.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@farrell2k: he died and turned into that skeleton warrior that teaches you sword moves in twilight princess

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

For it to be actually good.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

While making the game i want the developers to ask themselves "What would Skyward Sword have done here?" and then do the OPPOSITE. The game would be awesome.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#63 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

From what I have read, A Link Between Worlds is the most "open-world" Zelda since the original. I want Nintendo to continue that with Zelda U. I do not want a Fi type of character; give me a good sense of freedom and exploration. Also, I feel like Nintendo upped its presentation in Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D World. I want to see Nintendo do the same with Zelda. It does not have to be too flashy, but some natural progression into HD needs some flare. The E3 Zelda tech demo seems to contain what I am talking about.

A Link Between Worlds is not open-world. However, it is very non-linear at its core in that its two main quests (to get the pendants and to get the sages) can be done in any order. That takes away a lot of the frustration of having to figure out the single prescribed path that games like Link to the Past laid out. That does make it feel more real, but like a lot of hybrid experiences it fails to do anything particularly excellently.

Some day, I hope there is a true open world Zelda game. Open worlds feel lived in and organic. They don't feel like you're trapped in a maze like a mouse.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#64 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic: I know it's technically not open-world. That's why I used quotation marks around the term. But I agree with your post.

Vampfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Vampfox
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I want a Twilight Princess sequel and more Midna.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Vampfox said:

more Midna.

There's lots of fanfiction and fanart for that.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@superbuuman said:

@Gue1 said:

I'm expecting this:

^ Same...if they turn to Toon Link style like WindWaker ..I won't be touching it. :P

Sad.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I want the story to be interesting and the world to feel alive. While playing TP i felt like the world lacked imagination and believability, it felt empty (actually, every nintendo game feels like this to me). I also thought the story was pretty boring and wasn't told very well.

If they just improved those two things I think it would be great. But I'm expecting another basic Nintendo game - really good gameplay set in a dead world.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I expect what I expect from any Zelda game. Inventive dungeons to explore, Bosses to smash, overworld filled with secrets, and some sort of gimmick that ties the whole game together.

The gimmick seems to be the most important part as far as Zelda goes. My favorites are

MM(masks)

WW(boat, which basically saved what is otherwise a mediocre Zelda game)

LBW(painting)

They just need to focus on one and only one, Skyward Sword is one of my favorite Zeldas but they tried way too many gimmicks (harp, flying, dowsing, Silent realm, and motion controls) and too me, only the motion controls were successful (except I have not the slightest clue why they used the gyro instead of the pointer for aiming)

But the one thing in particular I have been wanting for a long time are hidden, optional dungeons. I just want more and more dungeons, that's what Zelda is all about in my opinion.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By superbuuman

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@superbuuman said:

@Gue1 said:

I'm expecting this:

Sad.

nah, sad would be if Nintendo pulls out another WW style..here's our new more powerful system..& this is what it can do ..WW style graphics with still lots of solid 1 tone colours. They might as well not go HD.. if WW style is what they want for a new Zelda game (reeks of laziness) ...its like Capcom & their Ultimate MHTri on Wii U.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@Gue1 said:

I'm expecting this:

You will never see a Zelda like this. Aonuma said he despised the look of this tech demo and he holds no interest in it. Besides, this looks pretty next gen, that automatically rules out any chance of it being on a Nintendo system within 10 years+.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By superbuuman

@MirkoS77 said:

@superbuuman said:

@Gue1 said:

I'm expecting this:

You will never see a Zelda like this. Aonuma said he despised the look of this tech demo and he holds no interest in it. Besides, this looks pretty next gen, that automatically rules out any chance of it being on a Nintendo system within 10 years+.

Well WW HD remake didn't meet Nintendo's sale expectation..so hope this means no more toon link, if it does end up being WW style toon link..just mean its a no buy. WW Toon Link is just a lazy effort imo. If what you say is true then Aonuma need to let someone else handle console Zelda..he can work on lazy/easy 3DS version. :P Time to start getting some new blood to do work..Sakamoto needs to let someone else do Metroid, he's done & dusted from his bad direction of Other M..& stupid remark after it didn't do well.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No more cell shading and it should be MASSIVE!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#74  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

What I want:

• Realistic style graphics. At the very least, the game should look like the E3 2011 tech demo
  • Orchestrated soundtrack
  • I have no fucks to give about this, but sure, voice acting like Midna in Twilight Princess or Shadow of the Colossus would be nice
  • A functional in game economy. Please, when you give me all these Rupees, give me something to do with them. Either that, or reduce the frequency with which players can get rupees
  • Non linear structure: A Link Between Worlds is an excellent first step towards this, it essentially lets you play and complete the game in literally any order that you want. Make the new Zelda like that, where I am free to explore the world and dungeons as I would like to, with some gating as concessions to guided progression
  • Secrets, lots of them. The joy of Zelda is in exploration. Give me an overworld packed with secrets. Give me incentives to explore. Hide some great loot in some nasty side dungeons, some items that are not required for completion, but make the game so much easier than it would be otherwise (think Biggoron Sword from Ocarina, but now put it in a great optional, hidden dungeon, not some bullshit trading quest). Give me a reason to explore, to go and see the world you have created. Don't just put Rupees in secret areas, because rupees are meaningless; if you do put rupees there, make the economy functional, as I said above.
  • A great overworld. This is important. Make it the true next gen realization of what A Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess were aiming for. It should be massive, it should be populated, it should have secrets, lots of them, it should look lived in, it should feel alive (meaning keep the day/night cycle, for example), it should basically feel like a real world inhabited by real people.
  • Excellent item design: I have no complaints with Zelda on this front, but I hope items are used more frequently in the Wii U Zelda game than they are in other games, where you rarely need them after defeating the boss. Once again, look to Link Between Worlds for inspiration.
  • More than one town: for the love of ****, please. What is it with Zelda only ever having one hub town, one place which is actually populated? Have multiple cities and villages. Let players find them and explore them. Again, Hyrule should feel like a world, a world that I want to and enjoy exploring, it should not feel like an over extended video game hub level.
  • Absolute lack of tutorials. See what Link Between Worlds did? Good, do that. Throw me into the game and let me figure things out for myself. Keep the tutorials and hints there, but keep them optional. If someone is stuck, they can utilize them. If they are not, they can continue playing without bullshit tutorials popping up and breaking the game flow every five minutes.
  • Dungeons, dungeons, dungeons. Zelda is about its dungeons, and the dungeon design needs to be great. Look at Link to the Past. Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword. Link Between Worlds. Now make the dungeons as great as they were in those games. Make them devious labyrinths. Make the dungeons my enemy, because as we all know...
  • The combat sucks, so do something about it. Reduce the emphasis on button mashing. Maybe introduce basic combos, and integrate those with the finishing moves from Twilight Princess. Give enemies and bosses variable patterns instead of having them repeat the same pattern over and over, which means it takes all of five seconds to figure their weakness out.
  • Give it a good story. Again, Zelda games usually deliver on this front, so I won't really complain, but give it a good story that is presented with some flair.
  • Some good sidequests. Look to Majora's Mask for inspiration.
  • Have Hero Mode unlocked from the start. Give us difficulty levels. Stop assuming every Zelda game is my first Zelda, and stop making concessions to that assumption. Simply adding difficulty levels would solve so many problems.

What I expect:

Everything above.

Basically, look at A Link Between Worlds. Look at what it did right, try to understand why people are calling it the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time. Then try to recreate that in a console epic adventure. After Skyward Sword, I had largely lost hope, but Link Between Worlds restores some of it, it tells me Nintendo still has it in them to create the kind of standard setting epic Zelda game for the new generation that it once used to be.

We'll see.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 93BlackHawk93

@charizard1605 said:

What I want:

• Realistic style graphics. At the very least, the game should look like the E3 2011 tech demo
  • I have no fucks to give about this, but sure, voice acting like Midna in Twilight Princess or Shadow of the Colossus would be nice
  • A functional in game economy. Please, when you give me all these Rupees, give me something to do with them. Either that, or reduce the frequency with which players can get rupees
  • Non linear structure: A Link Between Worlds is an excellent first step towards this, it essentially lets you play and complete the game in literally any order that you want. Make the new Zelda like that, where I am free to explore the world and dungeons as I would like to, with some gating as concessions to guided progression
  • Secrets, lots of them. The joy of Zelda is in exploration. Give me an overworld packed with secrets. Give me incentives to explore. Hide some great loot in some nasty side dungeons, some items that are not required for completion, but make the game so much easier than it would be otherwise (think Biggoron Sword from Ocarina, but now put it in a great optional, hidden dungeon, not some bullshit trading quest). Give me a reason to explore, to go and see the world you have created. Don't just put Rupees in secret areas, because rupees are meaningless; if you do put rupees there, make the economy functional, as I said above.
  • A great overworld. This is important. Make it the true next gen realization of what A Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess were aiming for. It should be massive, it should be populated, it should have secrets, lots of them, it should look lived in, it should feel alive (meaning keep the day/night cycle, for example), it should basically feel like a real world inhabited by real people.
  • Excellent item design: I have no complaints with Zelda on this front, but I hope items are used more frequently in the Wii U Zelda game than they are in other games, where you rarely need them after defeating the boss. Once again, look to Link Between Worlds for inspiration.
  • More than one town: for the love of ****, please. What is it with Zelda only ever having one hub town, one place which is actually populated? Have multiple cities and villages. Let players find them and explore them. Again, Hyrule should feel like a world, a world that I want to and enjoy exploring, it should not feel like an over extended video game hub level.
  • Absolute lack of tutorials. See what Link Between Worlds did? Good, do that. Throw me into the game and let me figure things out for myself. Keep the tutorials and hints there, but keep them optional. If someone is stuck, they can utilize them. If they are not, they can continue playing without bullshit tutorials popping up and breaking the game flow every five minutes.
  • Dungeons, dungeons, dungeons. Zelda is about its dungeons, and the dungeon design needs to be great. Look at Link to the Past. Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword. Link Between Worlds. Now make the dungeons as great as they were in those games. Make them devious labyrinths. Make the dungeons my enemy, because as we all know...
  • The combat sucks, so do something about it. Reduce the emphasis on button mashing. Maybe introduce basic combos, and integrate those with the finishing moves from Twilight Princess. Give enemies and bosses variable patterns instead of having them repeat the same pattern over and over, which means it takes all of five seconds to figure their weakness out.
  • Give it a good story. Again, Zelda games usually deliver on this front, so I won't really complain, but give it a good story that is presented with some flair.
  • Have Hero Mode unlocked from the start. Give us difficulty levels. Stop assuming every Zelda game is my first Zelda, and stop making concessions to that assumption. Simply adding difficulty levels would solve so many problems.

What I expect:

Everything above.

Basically, look at A Link Between Worlds. Look at what it did right, try to understand why people are calling it the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time. Then try to recreate that in a console epic adventure. After Skywaourd Sword, I had largely lost hope, but Link Between Worlds restores some of it, it tells me Nintendo still has it in them to create the kind of standard setting epic Zelda game for the new generation that it once used to be.

We'll see.

You're gonna get dissapointed.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Want:

• E3 tech demo graphics
  • Motion controls for aiming only; TP's and SS's combat was a chore imo.
  • voice acting with Link staying silent - I don't mind them speaking a different language like Hylian.
  • improved combat, they've been stuck in the 90's and SS was a step in the wrong direction.
  • A better overworld - it's always so empty
  • more secrets and better rewards for finding them
  • If there must be a partner, make it more like Midna and less like Fi
  • harder dungeons
  • difficulty levels
  • Make the ride-able animal more useful. I almost never used Epona in TP because the wolf form was almost as fast and way more convenient, and the bird in SS was f***ing useless.
  • make the musical instrument more connected to the experience, like OoT/MM/WW. Howling and the harp sucked.
  • more/better sidequests like in MM

Expect: no clue, I never know what to expect from Nintendo..

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I expect Nintendo to announce Zelda for PS4 and XBOX ONE when they go third party at e3 2014

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#78  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@charizard1605 said:

What I want:

What I expect:

Everything above.

Basically, look at A Link Between Worlds. Look at what it did right, try to understand why people are calling it the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time. Then try to recreate that in a console epic adventure. After Skywaourd Sword, I had largely lost hope, but Link Between Worlds restores some of it, it tells me Nintendo still has it in them to create the kind of standard setting epic Zelda game for the new generation that it once used to be.

We'll see.

You're gonna get dissapointed.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but after A Link Between Worlds, I am willing to give the Zelda team some more credit than I usually would.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Lets hope they make another 3DS Zelda, the new one (LTTP) is like a million times better than Zelda TP and SS were

Also this game was so good because they focused on gameplay and pacing, than a 3D world where they seem to fail at lately

If they try to make a big WiiU game they will just fail again, 3DS is the only way they can give us great games, N64 style

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

How is SS not functional? The controls were fine. Everyone plays the game wrong as I see.

And why did you lol at me? >:(

Lol. I remember hearing this excuse in the 90s. Still funny.

It's true.

While I enjoyed Skyward Swords controls and though they (and the dungeons ) were the best part of the game.... if you create a control system which people can "do wrong", you have pretty much failed as a developer. Controls should be as simple and accurate as possible. If the controls in a game fail to do what I want, or if I have to keep trying to remember what buttons I should be pressing, I consider that the game's fault. I never have to even consider controls in good games. No one ever does the controls in Mario wrong, for example. They are simple and precise and I personally never have had cause to blame them for a failure or death. While there are many games in the world that are damaged or outright ruined by bad controls. The Aliens Vs Predator controls for walking the Alien on walls spring to mind!